PDA

View Full Version : Migraines

cuddlepop
14-May-07, 12:54
Is it a good idea to go on medication to prevent migrain attacks.Youngest has just had her first full blown one,this time she's had the visual disturbence and was terrified she was going blind.
Her eldest sister use to have them and was on medication to prevent them.Fortunatly she appears to have grown out of them.
Can think of no triggers that set this mornings off.:confused

Hibeechick
14-May-07, 15:31
I used to take medication thankfully I grew out of them aswell. Although still have them from time to time. At one stage I was taking 2 -3 a week.

I used to lose sight, feeling, words would come out all jumbled up and sometimes i'd be violently sick. :(

I have a list as long as a piece of string that can set them off and sometimes they just come for no reason.

Hope she gets them sorted.

Angela
14-May-07, 16:37
At one time I had a migraine every couple of weeks, but thankfully I grew out of mine -not until my thirties though. It felt like someone was sticking a skewer through my eyeball, and I felt, and usually was, really sick.
I found nurofen (once it was invented) at the first sign of trouble as good as any prescribed medication, but it was hard to keep anything down.
The combination of heat (like a hot water bottle) at the nape of my neck and a cold cloth on the side of my head that was affected, helped as well. Something to do with the flow of blood to the head I think!
Usually it did mean a whole day "out" lying down in a darkened room if possible-and the following day feeling pretty weak and shaky.
The triggers for me seemed to be stress (the migraines came on AFTER a stressful day) and continuing to work on when I was overtired/going too long without a proper meal.
Hope your daughter can take something to prevent them that works for her, cp.

Torvaig
14-May-07, 16:49
The only thing that controlled my migraines was beta-blockers which I was prescribed for my heart. When I mentioned the extra effect of them to the doctor he agreed that this sometimes happened.

I find that if I go without a decent meal sets them off so make sure your daughter is having good sized meals regularly.

Good luck; they are a terrible curse.

cuddlepop
14-May-07, 17:03
Thanks everyone.
She so badly wanted to go to work this evening so have let her.Eyesight back to normal,slight squimish feeling still there but headache has gone thankfully.

Maybe just worrying too much about her exams.Has had two late nights in a row which she's not use to.eats plenty and drinks plenty water.

We'll just have to wait and see if they come back.

It must be so scarey when your vision goes funny.:eek:

ginajade
14-May-07, 19:39
Can be linked to hormonal changes also. hence the increase in teenage years.

karia
14-May-07, 20:54
They are 'really scary',...poor kid.:(!
Agree with Torvaig..regular meals seem to stave it off. to an extent.
In my experience you suffer a 'hangover' state, next day though, so don't expect her to be back on par for a wee bit.
I grew out of it too,....not much consolation, right now though,is it?
sometimes these attacks only happen once or twice..hope that's the case
here.

wishing you the best. Kariax

badger
16-May-07, 12:04
Do hope she doesn't get any more - it's such a nasty thing to happen. If you can avoid drugs and find out what's triggering them I'm sure it's better, especially at her age. Sounds as if it could be partly stress, which might also affect her digestion. Have you tried googling it to see what foods to avoid so you can experiment with cutting them out? I did this for another condition as didn't want to go on taking drugs. There's a herbalist in Thurso who might be able to help.

Angela
16-May-07, 13:48
The herb feverfew is said to help migraines. I've never tried it though, but it could be worth investigating. Homeopathic remedies as well perhaps?
It can be hard to find the trigger - I was told to avoid chocolate and cheese but it seemed to make no difference.
I think if you're susceptible there can be a variety of triggers (food/stress/tiredness/hormones etc) and as far as I know migraines do seem to run in families.:(

cuddlepop
16-May-07, 15:34
Thank you for your reply's

Wonder would taking a herble supplement like feverfew prevent the migraine in the first place.have heard of its calming properties and bought a tea infusion which was disgusting so will ask at our health food store for a tablet.

Both sides of our family suffer from migraines.My xmother in law had to give her job up in the end because of these headaches.It was stress aswell as the usual food triggers that set her off.My dad just couldn't eat cheese which he loved.:(

Victoria
16-May-07, 15:57
I suffer from migraines too. Sometimes every couple of weeks but sometimes I wont have one fr months.

Like you Angela I have to take the whole day out in bed in a darkened room with a cold wet flannel on my head. Sometimes one side of my face will feel numb until it has passed.

I try and take tablets at the outset of having a headache but somtimes it will turn into a full blown attack no matter what I do to try and prevent it.

Triggers for me are Stress, winding down (I tend to get them on a Friday after I've finished work), not eating properly and lack of sleep.

I've never been to the doctors about it as my mum suffers from them and I just guess I've inherited them from her (thanks mum!!!).

I have to say that the older I've got the more I tend to get but I hope that will change in the future.

Often people that haven't suffered from them can be quite unkind because they seem to think its just like a regular headache but believe me you KNOW when you've got a migraine!

Angela
16-May-07, 16:26
I suffer from migraines too. Sometimes every couple of weeks but sometimes I wont have one fr months.

Like you Angela I have to take the whole day out in bed in a darkened room with a cold wet flannel on my head. Sometimes one side of my face will feel numb until it has passed.

I try and take tablets at the outset of having a headache but somtimes it will turn into a full blown attack no matter what I do to try and prevent it.

Triggers for me are Stress, winding down (I tend to get them on a Friday after I've finished work), not eating properly and lack of sleep.

I've never been to the doctors about it as my mum suffers from them and I just guess I've inherited them from her (thanks mum!!!).

I have to say that the older I've got the more I tend to get but I hope that will change in the future.

Often people that haven't suffered from them can be quite unkind because they seem to think its just like a regular headache but believe me you KNOW when you've got a migraine!

Poor you, Victoria! I think my triggers were much the same as yours...I can only say that having had my first migraine when was only 6, they peaked in my twenties and then gradually wound down...thankfully.

I often got them on Sundays, after a stressful week and when my hubby was at home and able to look after the family :roll:

I agree, a migraine is nothing like "just a headache" ...the only thing I've had that comes even close is a really bad headache with a sinus infection.

Dear me, us Orgers are just a bundle of ailments, aren't we?:confused

Pouleriscaig
20-May-07, 10:25
Hi! Don't know if this is of help.

I've had migraines since I was a teenager and am now 40.

I was prescribed pitzofen which made me like a zombie; beta blockers worked by reducing their intensity; and paracetamol was the only thing that worked if you caught it early enough which was very hard to do.

A few years ago I bought a thing called a Q Link (approx. £100) used by atheletes for various sports and performance.
I bought mine on ebay for £30 and as long as I don't forget to wear it (it's a pendant), I reduced having migraines from twice to thrice a week, to one a month and sometomes none at all.

Maybe worth a shot if it becomes a regular disabling condition.

Best Wishes.

cuddlepop
20-May-07, 14:22
[quote=Pouleriscaig;225332]Hi! Don't know if this is of help.

I've had migraines since I was a teenager and am now 40.

I was prescribed pitzofen which made me like a zombie; beta blockers worked by reducing their intensity; and paracetamol was the only thing that worked if you caught it early enough which was very hard to do.

A few years ago I bought a thing called a Q Link (approx. £100) used by atheletes for various sports and performance.
I bought mine on ebay for £30 and as long as I don't forget to wear it (it's a pendant), I reduced having migraines from twice to thrice a week, to one a month and sometomes none at all.

Maybe worth a shot if it becomes a regular disabling condition.

How on earth would that work?

Is it like the copper bracelet idea for arthritis:confused

Pouleriscaig
27-May-07, 09:30
Yes it is the same idea, but I don't know the science behind it.

All I know is it works very effecetively for me.

It was just a suggestion.

Besty Wishes.

cuddlepop
27-May-07, 17:20
Any suggestion is more than welcome as I'm at my wits end with her and these headaches.

I can honestly say I've never really had a headache when I see what these migraines do to her.:~(

lynne duncan
28-May-07, 23:02
I have been getting very sore heads over the last 4 months usually the week of my period, they start over my forehead and paracetomal won't shift them the one today had me reduced to disappearing to bed feeling very sick as well and letting hubby run the fort, when I eventually awoke felt as if I had been at the dentist and that the whole of my face was numb. does this sound like migraines?
I don't have runny eyes or nose so don't think it is hayfever, have ruled out sinusitus as was plagued with this when I was younger. any advice appreciated, have been charting the soreheads and was going to wait to next month before asking the doctors but after todays one I don't think I will wait.

changilass
28-May-07, 23:24
Go to the doctors, sounds classic I'm afraid. Keep away from chocolate at that time of the month as well.

I have been on medication to stop migraine and touch wood not had one for a couple of months so its def worth a visit to the docs.

crayola
06-Jun-07, 00:38
Yes it is the same idea, but I don't know the science behind it.

All I know is it works very effecetively for me.

It was just a suggestion.

Besty Wishes.The science behind it is quite subtle but it's explained on the Qlink (http://www.qlinkworld.co.uk/what_is_qlink_2.html) website. It works by harnessing the power of subtle energies to counteract the power of mechanical 'bad' energies like the electromagnetics emitted by mobile phones and wireless routers on PCs. It's 21st century science so don't worry if some old 20th century people try to rubbish it because they haven't kept up to date with new developments in quantum science.

cuddlepop
06-Jun-07, 19:23
The science behind it is quite subtle but it's explained on the Qlink (http://www.qlinkworld.co.uk/what_is_qlink_2.html) website. It works by harnessing the power of subtle energies to counteract the power of mechanical 'bad' energies like the electromagnetics emitted by mobile phones and wireless routers on PCs. It's 21st century science so don't worry if some old 20th century people try to rubbish it because they haven't kept up to date with new developments in quantum science.
Thanks for the link Crayola.
Since the exams have finished and medication changed there have been none :D

squidge
07-Jun-07, 11:48
My twelve year old has had them since he was about five. He maybe gets 6 to 10 a year. I find that triggers include too many late nights, eating rubbish like too many sweeties and processed food. He is often sick with them too

I also find the only cure is an adult dose of nurofen or paracetemol, straight to bed and sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep