PDA

View Full Version : Small wind turbines

Westward
03-Jan-17, 12:22
Advice needed on small wind turbines..is there anyone out there who knows a thing or two about them?

Westward
05-Jan-17, 11:52
​Would the person to whom I was conversing please get in touch with me again..I don't know why but I seem unable to send messages by PM, THANK YOU

2little2late
06-Jan-17, 13:38
Yes, they are useless.

Croftergirl
16-Jan-17, 13:28
We've had a 6kw Elotec Sirroc up for nearly 3 years now. Its produced over 61000kwhs. We've had no problems with it at all. Its reduced our electricity bills by half, and has paid itself if in just over 2.5 years.
It was designed in Orkney for high wind maritime environs so suits caithness perfectly. Its now produced in France and available through Pure Energy in Yell shetland.
Its a totally enclosed unit, so very little maintenelace required. Just knock it down once a year, grease a few grease nipples and check for wear (none so far) the blades may need resurfaced in 10-15 years, but so far theres not a mark on them.
its a 2 bladed unit, and it doesnr turn off in high winds. It needs roughly 13mph gusts to get it going, but once turning it'll keep going with around 6-8mph, a slight breeze. Theres many days when our turbine is going and very few others are
we're on top if the hill just outside Keiss, you can barely see our turbine, they habe a hexagonal tower, to reduce the vibratio and also reduces glare.
Youre more than welcome to ask any questions, if i cam anwser them i will.

janeyj
16-Jan-17, 20:20
I just wanted to thank you Croftergirl for all the information. We've been thinking of having a turbine for a long time but had been put off by stories of things going wrong. Your experience may have changed our minds. I've made some notes and will look into it further.

Thank you again

Janey

Croftergirl
17-Jan-17, 00:07
No problem at all. We've had no problems with ours. Tbh if i could afford it id be putting a 2nd one the same up.
Ross at Pure Energy is very helpful. They have 2 in caithnrss, theres one on the hill beside the road on just passed dunbeath, its so u obtrusive that most people dont even notice it.
Sally

mi16
17-Jan-17, 15:55

A compact device, so user friendly a child can use it