PDA

View Full Version : Oppressive Regimes and Child Sponsorship

Rheghead
01-Jun-05, 19:55
About 3 months ago I was going to sponsor a child in the 3rd World. I can easily afford it so I went to the website for more information. I was surprised and pleased to see that you could sponsor a child through the website. So I proceeded to go further. I got a choice of 3 children, all of which were ideally needy of sponsorship. But when I looked to see their country of origin they were all from Zimbabwe. This struck a chord with me as I have reservations about sending money to a country which has a record of political oppression of its people. I am not sure whether the money would go to those in the most direst need i.e. those not favored by Mugabe, let alone going to Mugabe himself. Even if the money went to the child that I had chosen, I cannot help feeling that somehow I am condoning the continued Regime of oppression by taking out of Mugabe's hands another piece of HIS responsibility. I do so want to sponsor a child but should I wait till I get the choice from another country?
This latest series of attacks in Zimbabwe (on the news tonight)has reminded me about my enquiry that's all.
Anybody got any thoughts on this to make my mind up?
Sponsor a child (http://www.worldvision.org.uk/waystodonate/sponsorachild/index.asp)

George Brims
01-Jun-05, 22:10
I've got mixed feelings here Rheghead. A child in Mugabe's version of Zimbabwe is surely very likely to be in dire need, given the way he has messed up the country. On the other hand there is the worry the funds might get diverted. Perhaps you ought to talk to people at the particular charity on how they handle things. MAybe they can reassure you on how they make sure your contribution would go where it's needed. As for your concern that supporting a child that Mugabe is supposed to be responsible for, I think your initial wish to help a child should outweigh that. The child will I hope be around a long time. I fervently hope Mugabe's days are numbered.

Whitewater
01-Jun-05, 22:28
This is indeed a sad state of affairs and I understand your concerns. However, there are other countries in Africa that require sponsership for children and a think a lot of it can be done through the Church of Scotland. It may be worth having a chat with your local minister, whether or not you attend the church, I'm sure they would be more than pleased to help.

I have also seen requests in some of the newspapers from time to time, and not too long ago there was a programme (I think ITV) highlighting what the children got from it and I assure you it was amazing what they had become through the education which the sponsership brought them and they were all eternally grateful to their sponsers, as the sponsership progressed there were visits from the sponser and in many cases the child became an extensions to the family.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Good luck, it is a worthy cause.

katarina
03-Jun-05, 13:49
It is wiser to sponsor a child through a well know charity rather than from the net. As you say, the money could be going anywhere.