PDA

View Full Version : Wick High School's New Uniform

Pages : [1] 2

Venture
13-May-07, 23:40
After a pupil, parent and staff consultation Wick High School have opted to introduce school uniform as the dress code in August.

The basics of the uniform are black trousers/skirt, white shirt/girls fitted shirt with blazer and tie. These will then be accessorised with items in the school colours of blue, black and gold. Waistcoats and tank tops can also be added.. To try and keep up to date and make the blazer more appealing the badge will be worn on the cuff designer style It will also be available on the pocket should people prefer the more traditional style.

A casual range of sweatshirts, polo shirts, rugby shirts, and T shirts will also be available mostly aimed at the sport side of things. Scarves and bags will also be available. All items will show the school badge.

The PSA have organsied an open evening on Tuesday 22nd May to allow pupils, parents and others the chance to choose what they would like to wear. The event will take place in the Main Hall of the school at 7 pm where various suppliers will show what is available. Pupils will model the uniform and items can be tried on if necessary. Tea etc will be served.

Make a date in your diary Tuesday 22nd May at 7 pm in Wick High School to ensure that your child is kitted out in time for the new school term/

. .

SNOWDOG
14-May-07, 10:18
About time too! When i was at Wick high the pupils formed a petition to the rector asking for uniforms to be made compulsary. This was due to lack of pride in the school at the time, also there was a lot of bullying due to some kids not having the 'best jacket' or the 'right trainers'. High school is sometimes hard enough without some wee nyaff pokeing fun at your clothes! :mad:

Venture
14-May-07, 12:10
Glad to see you are in favour of the return of the uniform. It will certainly be a lot cheaper than designer gear and a lot smarter. It took a long time coming but it will be worth it in the end.

Ojibwa
14-May-07, 13:35
I think it's wonderful that uniform is going to be worn, sounds like it will look great. Will kids's have the option of wearing the smart items or the casual sweatshirts etc ?

Dadie
14-May-07, 13:42
I think a school uniform is smart looking and it will be easy for the kids to get ready in the mornings .. no more should i wear this.. is this make of jeans in at the moment etc type of problems you just put on the uniform and then spend the next hour doing your hair instead...on a more serious note it does cut down on the bullying of not having the "right" clothes though i still see a problem with footwear and jackets though..

Cattach
14-May-07, 13:55
The dress code has been a great succes in Thurso so no reason why it should not be so in Wick. It looks good and stops the ever increasing attempts of pupils to want to get more expensive and up to date designer gear where they often pay to advertise a company's name on their clothes.

rangers1873
14-May-07, 14:23
fair enough school uniform is to be reintroduced, but what about all the clothes that have been bought for the kids to wear ,when are they supposed to wear them they only get 2 days off a week. and by the time the holidays come up these clothes will be to small . i say in this day and age you should be allowed to wear what you want.

Dadie
14-May-07, 14:31
you change out of your school uniform when you get home before going out !

obiron
14-May-07, 14:48
while i like school uniform would have preferred something along the lines of thurso. dont like blazers, very stuffy and old.

Alice in Blunderland
14-May-07, 15:38
I have three kids in high school and all of them cant wait for school uniform. The oldest is desperate for the shirt ,tie ,blazer , the full works and she only has one year left in the school.

I am in total agreement with the uniform policy as at times when you see some of the nearly presentable outfits that are being worn I wonder how on earth some of them get out the door without the parents having a fit. My dad would certainly have had heart failure if I had dressed down as some of them do.......:eek:

I also think that make up remover should be on standby for some of the girls / boys as they go in the door....painted queens some of them are as they walk in and pull out their school books honestly you would think they were going out to a nightclub.

Rant over for the momment must go back to the dishes after Ive put my mini skirt and lippy on....[lol]

Jeemag_USA
14-May-07, 16:01
About time too! When i was at Wick high the pupils formed a petition to the rector asking for uniforms to be made compulsary. This was due to lack of pride in the school at the time, also there was a lot of bullying due to some kids not having the 'best jacket' or the 'right trainers'. High school is sometimes hard enough without some wee nyaff pokeing fun at your clothes! :mad:

I am always in favor of school uniform for the very reasons stated. I wish they would bring it back in my sons school, even if it is something causual like dress slacks and polo shirt (blazers wouldn't go down well over here its too hot)

I used to get picked on in primary school because I always wore hand me downs, used to get a right ribbin [lol]

rainbow
14-May-07, 16:18
From the pupils I have spoken too all are very receptive to school uniform. Even the 'slave to fashion' girls I know, all want the blazer, which surprised me. Despite a blazer being introduced I understand this is not compulsory as they will have sweatshirts, but I suppose if a pupil opts not to wear a blazer (especially on a Caithness winters day) then there must be guidance as to what is acceptable coat wise.

Venture
14-May-07, 16:49
As far as I am aware black appropriate footwear willl be part of the uniform. The blazers are polyester so a jacket can be worn over them in winter.

Scaraben1976
14-May-07, 19:26
..... pokeing fun at your clothes! :mad:

Yeah, why was it that the kids whose parents were on the dole/DHSS and got free school lunches etc etc were always the ones with the newest designer clothes, and who had SKY first, when those of us who had parents who worked made do with Mackay's best??

School Uniforms all the way, but I agree that maybe the wy that Thurso has gone with the "smart but casual" look is better. I actually like seeing hte kids wearing the rugby shirts

spurtle
14-May-07, 22:17
Well done, Wick - this is long overdue - I still have my Wick High School blazer from 40 years ago - there were only three of us who ever wore it even then, but it was smart - with the school badge, navy, trimmed with gold braid.
Got the moth now, sadly

George Brims
14-May-07, 23:05
If they are going to have blazers part of the uniform, as in olden times (I was there from 1966-72) I wonder if they still have those bannisters that have an end bit poking out. People would be walking along fine then at the start of the stair the poking out bit would insert itself in the pocket of their blazer and *rip* off goes the pocket from the blazer. That's if you were lucky. I saw one bloke lose half of the side of his jacket because he had already lost the pocket once and his mum sewed it back on too securely!

I hated the old school uniform. However in our day there was less of this label fetish that the kids have now, that makes for such competition. You only really thought like that about sports gear. And a baseball cap was something only Yanks wore.

dirdyweeker
14-May-07, 23:30
while i like school uniform would have preferred something along the lines of thurso. dont like blazers, very stuffy and old.

:)
As far as I know one doesn't have to wear the 'blazer'. There hopefully will be a fleece jacket. I for one cannot wait until the new term and uniform. A large number of folk I have spoken to (including pupils!!) are keen. And surprisingly the majority I know also prefer the shirt, tie and blazer style.
Must pop along to the school to see what is on offer on the 22nd May.

brokencross
15-May-07, 08:08
I am all for school uniforms, for the very valid reasons many orgers have already given and wish WHS good luck with it.

However a local secondary school has recently introduced a new uniform code but are not fully enforcing the correct wearing of the uniform.
The students seem to have all the requisite bits of the uniform but choose to "personalise" it, resulting in a bigger dogs dinner than if they were wearing their own clothes.

On its own website the school even put photographs of "unsuitable modes of dress".
http://www.nunthorpe.co.uk/Public/Public%20Documents/Uniform%20and%20Equipment%20Requirements/shirt_unsuitable.doc

I think the students must have read "suitable" for "unsuitable" because about 90% of them are dressed that way at school coming out time. The only students who adhere to the code are the 1st years. (who look really smart)

Maybe it is an age thing, or the fact I am a dedicated curmudgeon, but I think the clue is in the name UNIFORM - "identical or consistent"

Venture
15-May-07, 09:32
The idea of next Tuesday's open evening is to give parents and pupils the chance to choose what they would like. The traditional school uniform is the preferred choice of the school, pupils and parents but items which are classed more as casual for instance sweatchirts, polo shirts fleeces etc will be available but it is hoped that these will be used more for sport or in addition to the uniform in winter. We wouldnt expect children to be standing at a bus stop in winter dressed in a blazer and shirt, would we. If common sense prevails then I think everyone will look smart . Just come along to the open evening and see for yourself what is on offer oh and dont forget and bring your child, after all they are going to be the one who will be wearing it.

porshiepoo
15-May-07, 10:29
The idea of next Tuesday's open evening is to give parents and pupils the chance to choose what they would like. The traditional school uniform is the preferred choice of the school, pupils and parents but items which are classed more as casual for instance sweatchirts, polo shirts fleeces etc will be available but it is hoped that these will be used more for sport or in addition to the uniform in winter. We wouldnt expect children to be standing at a bus stop in winter dressed in a blazer and shirt, would we. If common sense prevails then I think everyone will look smart . Just come along to the open evening and see for yourself what is on offer oh and dont forget and bring your child, after all they are going to be the one who will be wearing it.

So for those of us that can't make it what do we do?
I take it the kids will be getting some sort of paperwork to bring home? With price lists?
Do the kids that have decided to stay on have to wear it too?
Anyone know what shops will be selling the uniform???????

brandy
15-May-07, 10:33
that last pic looks like they just rolled out of bed, very slobbish..

Elenna
15-May-07, 12:12
I am in favour of a uniform generally, for the reasons a number of people have already pointed out. It has decided advantages.

However, I do have to say it IS going to be rather a problem having to find the money to kit out three kids all at once with entire new head-to-toe sets of clothes (blazers!? :eek: EEK!) + shoes + coats for this autumn, rather than just picking up the bits and pieces different ones might be in need of after the summer hols...for example shoes for one, trousers for another, the third just needing a coat for winter...while they continue wearing the regular clothes they have already got. (which I always have insisted they look neat and tidy, and I dont buy anything that smacks of "designer", on principle).

That also means two "sets" of clothes to be kept on the go, so if, say, in 6 months time my youngest (who is 11 and growing like a weed) outgrows both his school kit and and a lot of his regular clothes too, which is it I'm supposed to replace? And then the eldest of the three, a girl, is only staying on for year 5 because her birthday is in Oct, so she cant leave until Christmas, but that is too late to get onto a college course....

So, my point is that while yes, uniforms are a good thing, instigating them and keeping them up does present some problems, and we cant be the only family around facing this dilemma.

Dadie
15-May-07, 13:08
the school may have a facility for buying and selling secondhand unifoms if they dont it may be worthwhile asking about! its not as if the majority of the clothes will be worn out just grown out of .....its worth asking about if not there is the org for sale pages!
ps even as they are old enough to know better its maybe worthwhile putting nametags on their blazers and sweaters you dont know how many still manage to lose them....or get them mixed up...

noodle
15-May-07, 14:40
even as they are old enough to know better its maybe worthwhile putting nametags on their blazers and sweaters you dont know how many still manage to lose them....or get them mixed up...

Ties are the worst for that! My Mother used to put name tags on the inside of ours :lol: during primary school. My secondary school didn't have a tie but I'm not too sure she *didn't* do the same thing to my brother's ties when he was in secondary!

rangers1873
15-May-07, 15:00
my 2 boys dont want to wear the blazer,ive told them they can just wear the sweatshirt, my oldest boy was going to stay on for another year but is threatening to leave now if he has to wear the blazer. in his own words he said it is minging.im not going to force them to wear it.

Dadie
15-May-07, 15:56
they may very well change their minds when they see everyone else has 1 teenagers are fickle like that!

Penelope Pitstop
15-May-07, 16:47
Will the teachers be setting the example and wearing it also???????

Scaraben1976
15-May-07, 18:31
Will the teachers be setting the example and wearing it also???????

I totally agree. I have a friend who is a primary teacher in Wick and she say she is sometimes horrified buy how some teachers go to schools all over the county.

Venture
15-May-07, 20:42
I will try and answer a few of your questions. Firstly WHS have opted to introduce a dress code to the school. It is up to the individual pupil whether or not they choose to follow it. Nobody and I repeat nobody can be forced to wear it. The school will advise parents that it would prefer if all pupils wore it but it is not compulsory. The majority of pupils, parents and staff made it very clear that they wanted a proper uniform for the school. The idea of the blazer is an item that the pupils particularly wanted.

We have opted for a basic uniform which will be easy to obtain. Trousers shirts and skirts can be bought from any outlet as long as they are black. We will be making the uniform available from local as well as a south firm who will offer a postal or telephone delivery service. One of the local outlets will offer an interest free pay up scheme to enable the uniform to be more affordable especuially for families with more than one child. The tie and badge can also be obtained locally. The school will not be involved in any ordering. Trying to kit out a school of nearlly 900 pupils is a massive task and the school have enough to deal with. The suppliers will take on this job.

The price of the uniform will depend on the individual choice of garment. Items can be bought very reasonably locally. I.t really depends on where you buy them from.

angela5
15-May-07, 21:04
school will advise parents that it would prefer if all pupils wore it but it is not compulsory.

I am all in favour of school uniform and when i heard this was happening i thought 'about time to'. After reading your above statement, i'm a little disappointed to find it won't actually be 'compulsory', which leaves me feeling i don't want to fork out on several school uniforms to find only a few pupils wearing it.
I have been disappointed in the past when the primary school sent out letters stating school uniform must be worn ,and after a trip to Inverness and emptying my purse i found only a few children actually wore it. Total waste of money as my kids did not want to wear it as very few were. This i can see happening again!:roll:

Victoria
15-May-07, 21:42
I totally agree. I have a friend who is a primary teacher in Wick and she say she is sometimes horrified buy how some teachers go to schools all over the county.

I'm all for teachers dressing smartly but they need to be distigueshed from pupils - the kids need to know who's in charge!

rfr10
15-May-07, 22:04
Oh look, surprise surprise, it's me.. Now.. do I look to the positive or negative side of things.. Hrm.... Well at least it's probably going to look something decent this time.. not like the other uniforms. Still got depressing black but, suppose it would be better that going about with white trousers.

Now I just can't wait for the teachers uniform........... Maybe not uniform but.. shirt/blouse + tie. Probably never happen though.

Venture
15-May-07, 23:06
rfr10 - It wont be depressing black as the school colurs will also take in blue and gold. Come along on Tuesday and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Angela5 = Im afraid rules and regulations state that you cant force children to wear it. Its not the school that have enforced this but the powers that be..childrens rights etc etc I wouldnt be worried about it not being popular the kids in school cant wait. You too might be pleasantly surprised.

To the guy who threatens to pack in school because he might have to wear a blazer - nobody is forcing you to do anything at the end of the day its your choice

mccaugm
16-May-07, 00:38
I am all for school uniforms, for the very valid reasons many orgers have already given and wish WHS good luck with it.

However a local secondary school has recently introduced a new uniform code but are not fully enforcing the correct wearing of the uniform.
The students seem to have all the requisite bits of the uniform but choose to "personalise" it, resulting in a bigger dogs dinner than if they were wearing their own clothes.

On its own website the school even put photographs of "unsuitable modes of dress".
http://www.nunthorpe.co.uk/Public/Public%20Documents/Uniform%20and%20Equipment%20Requirements/shirt_unsuitable.doc

I think the students must have read "suitable" for "unsuitable" because about 90% of them are dressed that way at school coming out time. The only students who adhere to the code are the 1st years. (who look really smart)

Maybe it is an age thing, or the fact I am a dedicated curmudgeon, but I think the clue is in the name UNIFORM - "identical or consistent"

Think Thurso should do that on their website too, give the kids a hint that some things are not quite right. My son was pulled up for wearing a black cardigan with a red logo, whilst his mate went to school in a designer jogging suit and nothing was said.

Sandra_B
16-May-07, 06:49
Last time I was home I saw pupils leaving the High School in Thurso in their "uniform" and right slovenly they looked too. A waste of time and money in my opinion.

nightowl
16-May-07, 16:51
If you can get to an Asda before next term, it might be an idea to check out their George schoolwear. Blazers for a tenner, sounds good to me!
www.george.com/browse/schoolwear/ (http://www.george.com/browse/schoolwear/)

Venture
16-May-07, 22:01
One of the suppliers who will be there on the night is Tescos who also have a cheap range of school clothes. Stores like Asda and Tesco will make the basics of the uniform affordable to everyone. Thats what we are aiming for.

dirdyweeker
21-May-07, 23:45
thought I would bring this back to the front page again as the display of uniforms is on tomorrow night. A good turnout would be wonderful. Tea and coffee will be available while you browse. Come along and see what is on offer. You do not have to be a pupil or parent. If you only have an interest to see what is coming feel free to drop in.:)

girnigoe
22-May-07, 16:39
I am VERY dissappointed its not going to be "compulsory". :mad:

I feel that unless you are made to wear it a lot of pupils arent going to and those who chose to do so are going to be made fun of.

As for not being able to "force" pupils to wear it - What about all the primary schools????

girnigoe
22-May-07, 16:44
I am all in favour of school uniform and when i heard this was happening i thought 'about time to'. After reading your above statement, i'm a little disappointed to find it won't actually be 'compulsory', which leaves me feeling i don't want to fork out on several school uniforms to find only a few pupils wearing it.
I have been disappointed in the past when the primary school sent out letters stating school uniform must be worn ,and after a trip to Inverness and emptying my purse i found only a few children actually wore it. Total waste of money as my kids did not want to wear it as very few were. This i can see happening again!:roll:

Here Here!! My sentiments exactly!!

I remember when the primary schools introduced the school uniform, within weeks pupils were wearing jeans instead of trousers/skirts and now it seems they dont even have to wear the actual school sweatshirts as long as they are the same colour!!

I also dont want to fork out money for the WHS uniform if it turns out that very few are wearing it and it is then relegated to the bottom of the wardrobe.....

cuddlepop
22-May-07, 17:07
Best of luck with the "optional choice" for uniform wearing.

Given a choice I cant and dont see many wearing a uniform.

Kids over here can even make the school uniform scruffy,think its compulsory;)

rfr10
22-May-07, 19:47
£60 for a pair of shoes!! :O .. walks off to Tesco :D

angela5
23-May-07, 18:44
I did not go last night after learning it's not compulsary. I was shocked today to hear the Blazers are £48:eek:

quirbal
23-May-07, 21:38
I did not go last night after learning it's not compulsary. I was shocked today to hear the Blazers are £48:eek:

I spoke to the rector regarding this last night and he stated that whilst the majority were in favour of the blazer and tie, he was aware that this would be impracticable to enforce and therefore they were also going to have the more informal option such as what Thurso have.

He stated that if there was no school uniform then a very strict dress code would be enforced.

Venture
23-May-07, 22:24
Angela5 If you had been there you would have seen that there was a blazer at 49.99 but that was from one supplier. Tescos had them at 15 and National School clothing had them at 17.99. You can buy a blazer from whereevr you like as long as it is black. The choice is yours.

The school have introduced a dress code which parents should encourage their children to follow. The majority of pupils do want to wear it but as in everything there will be an element who will go out of there way to decide not to. The same negative attitude was posted by many on this site when Thurso introduced it but I think it was only something like 12 that turned up on the day without it.

The point is that you will never please everyone. The school are introducing this to improve the image of the school. Wick High School is the only school in the north of Scotland that dosent have a uniform and how many of you have commented about the way pupils dress to come to school. With the huge choice of items on offer there is something to please everyone and it will be a lot more affordable than the clothes parents have to buy now.

The pupils must be encouraged to wear it not reminded that its not compulsory.

camor
23-May-07, 23:32
Iam in favour of uniforms being made compulsory. At the start of the school year, Thurso pupils were very smart but as the year has gone on, the policy seems to have become more and more relaxed and the dress code is not being enforced properly. Perhaps a dress down Friday with the code being stringently applied the other 4 days would work. It would be a shame to see it slip any further as, like I said, the policy started off well.

rfr10
24-May-07, 16:15
To be honest, I did not like one thing on display on Tuesday. That's just my personal oppinion but I did hear pupils and adults saying the same thing. Some of the colours were shocking like blue and yellow together. I don't know why they put hoodies on offer aswell because I doubt very many people would wear that. I did notice one top that looked ok but apart from that, the rest, I wouldn't like to wear. Uniform, no matter what it is like is going to be formal and in my oppinion should be for working in businesses only and not for school. What good is it doing going about showing off the school badge? Is it to benefit just the school in trying to give it a good reputation in promoting it? I don't think it benefits us.. does it?

Anyway, I don't want to cause arguments again so that's all I'll say.

MadPianoPlayer
24-May-07, 18:58
I went to see it.. being a pupil of the school I really must agree that the school uniform isn't that bad. At least we are getting to keep our good clothes for the weekend and not wearing them at school where they can get dirty. Im happy with it :D

rfr10
24-May-07, 21:39
I went to see it.. being a pupil of the school I really must agree that the school uniform isn't that bad. At least we are getting to keep our good clothes for the weekend and not wearing them at school where they can get dirty. Im happy with it :D

Somehow, I think I can guess who you are :P

My clothes never get dirty at school. In fact they are more likely to get dirty at the weekend. We should be individuals and not sheep.

I have to admit that, having argued before about not having to wear a uniform, if I had seen something decent on Tuesday, I wouldn't actually mind wearing it.

Tristan
24-May-07, 22:05
Iam in favour of uniforms being made compulsory.

Not sure that you can under Scottish law.

At the start of the school year, Thurso pupils were very smart but as the year has gone on, the policy seems to have become more and more relaxed

It is a shame if the parents aren't ensuring their children are dressed appropriately.

winnie
24-May-07, 22:40
After a pupil, parent and staff consultation Wick High School have opted to introduce school uniform as the dress code in August.

The basics of the uniform are black trousers/skirt, white shirt/girls fitted shirt with blazer and tie. These will then be accessorised with items in the school colours of blue, black and gold. Waistcoats and tank tops can also be added.. To try and keep up to date and make the blazer more appealing the badge will be worn on the cuff designer style It will also be available on the pocket should people prefer the more traditional style.

A casual range of sweatshirts, polo shirts, rugby shirts, and T shirts will also be available mostly aimed at the sport side of things. Scarves and bags will also be available. All items will show the school badge.

The PSA have organsied an open evening on Tuesday 22nd May to allow pupils, parents and others the chance to choose what they would like to wear. The event will take place in the Main Hall of the school at 7 pm where various suppliers will show what is available. Pupils will model the uniform and items can be tried on if necessary. Tea etc will be served.

Make a date in your diary Tuesday 22nd May at 7 pm in Wick High School to ensure that your child is kitted out in time for the new school term/

. .

the night was a waste of time

Venture
24-May-07, 23:35
WINNIE - A waste of time for who/

Just what would be your choice of uniform Robin/

rfr10
25-May-07, 11:20
WINNIE - A waste of time for who/

Just what would be your choice of uniform Robin/

Just get all the clothes pupils wear already and stick a High School badge on it.. same thing isn't it?

Are we just getting a uniform to be sheep and copy other schools just so we're not one of the odd ones out?

Venture
25-May-07, 12:48
Maybe if you understood the meaning of the word UNIFORM you would realise that by everyone wearing different clothes it wouldnt't be a uniform. You also mentioned that uniforms were for work, Well by wearing one in school you'll get plenty practice beforehand.

The point Robin of the uniform is that everyone WILL be the same. Not everyone can afford trendy designer clothes and footwear and this can lead to individuals being singled out because of it. Its high on the list of reasons for children being bullied.

What do your parents think about you wearing a uniform? I suspect by your negative comments that you won't be wearing one. The school can't force anybody to wear one but as a pupil you will be expected to follow the dress code while in attendance there. You will be asked your reasons for not doing so. I wouldn't suggest you use the sheep line.

girnigoe
25-May-07, 13:25
The school can't force anybody to wear one.
Does anyone know why this is??

If thats the case, why can employers force you to wear uniform?

Mister Squiggle
25-May-07, 14:15
As I understand it, Girnigoe, the basic gist is that schools can't enforce uniforms in a manner that will interfere with schooling (ie. if you don't wear it, you can't come to class). I think the official thinking behind this seems to be the rights of the child to an education can't be circumscribed by compulsory uniforms.
This is perhaps why any school, including Wick, can only have a uniform but not enforce the wearing of it. It can be encouraged, but students can't be excluded from school for not wearing it.
A lot of schools will have incentive schemes for wearing, for example, the school sweatshirt. Also, as has been outlined in other posts, there are factors such keeping good clothes for weekends and "dress down" days, and a genuine desire to have a bit of pride and group identity.
I imagine work uniforms come about through issues of Health and Safety (ie contact with foodstuffs, machinery etc) and employers can insist upon them on these grounds. Perhaps other posters know more about this area?

quirbal
25-May-07, 15:06
Surely it different for employees - wearing a uniform could be part of their contract and therefore they would be obliged to wear it.

Footloose
25-May-07, 21:46
The point Robin of the uniform is that everyone WILL be the same. Not everyone can afford trendy designer clothes and footwear and this can lead to individuals being singled out because of it. Its high on the list of reasons for children being bullied.

As you have pointed out - not everyone can afford trendy designer clothes and footwear. Yet the only footwear on show on Tuesday night were Kickers at £65 a pair !!!!! The 'trendy kids' are still going to demand the designer labels when it comes to their 'black shoes' for their uniforms, whilst others will still have to make do with cheaper options.

The influence on Tuesday night was that the uniform should be blazers and ties, and that the vast majority of kids and parents wanted blazers.

Having spoken to the rector, we found that the vote was not so clear cut. We were informed that approx 180 voted for blazers and ties / 130 for a modern uniform and 45 for some kind of dress code. I was taught maths at Wick High but this doesn't quite add up to the "99% of kids wanted blazers"!!!!!

Formal uniforms are dated, even banks / post office / brownies / guides / etc have all adopted a more casual mix and match uniform to suit everyone. There should be the option for both styles so that the kids can choose what they want to wear.

I am all for the modern uniform, but the school should have defined on Tuesday night exactly what items would be allowed within the uniform.

We were all wandering around aimlessly, unsure of why we were actually there. We had expected to be able to view and order the items that the school had selected for the uniform. There also needs to be some clarification on what items will require the school logo - eg. will kids be allowed plain white t-shirts without logo as long as they have sweatshirt / hoodie with the logo on it.

connieb19
25-May-07, 22:18
Has there been letters sent to the parents about the school uniform?

Venture
26-May-07, 00:23
FOOTLOOSE - In answer to your questions. As to the shoes, we originally approached suppliers who could provide items suitable for school uniform. The fact that Gunns decided to bring along shoes with them was their decision. The only footwear allowed is black with NO motifs or colours of any kind on them.

There is a choice of either formal or casual but items must have the school logo on them this applies to T shirts and polo shirts as well which must be white. The PSA never intimated when advertising the open evening that you would be able to order your items on the night. It stated that it was held to give parents and pupils a chance to see what the suppliers had to offer before a final decision was made.

The idea of having a modern colourful uniform would be a good idea but unfortunately it wouldnt work for a number of reasons. Coloured items are far more expensive. People would not be able to purchase items from other retail outlets, For example you are able to buy black and white items easily but when it comes to say for instance blue and gold, different manufacturers use different dyes and you would end up with a mish mash of colours which wouldnt be uniform. By making it black and white we are able to give people the chance to buy items from almost anywhere and at a variety of prices according to quality.

Im not sure if the figures you are quoting are the results from the consultation or the comments sheets put out on the night. The decision to introduce a dress code was based on the consultation of pupils parents and primary 7s who will be joining the school after the summer. The choice of formal or casual is up to the individual. Feedback from the pupils asked in the school as to what they wanted to wear was overwhelmingly for the blazer etc. Whether this ends up being the case only time will tell.

Im sure if you havent received your letter with a list of the items permitted and prices etc that you will have it at the beginning of the week.

Footloose
26-May-07, 09:23
FOOTLOOSE - In answer to your questions. As to the shoes, we originally approached suppliers who could provide items suitable for school uniform. The fact that Gunns decided to bring along shoes with them was their decision. The only footwear allowed is black with NO motifs or colours of any kind on them.

There is a choice of either formal or casual but items must have the school logo on them this applies to T shirts and polo shirts as well which must be white. The PSA never intimated when advertising the open evening that you would be able to order your items on the night. It stated that it was held to give parents and pupils a chance to see what the suppliers had to offer before a final decision was made.

The idea of having a modern colourful uniform would be a good idea but unfortunately it wouldnt work for a number of reasons. Coloured items are far more expensive. People would not be able to purchase items from other retail outlets, For example you are able to buy black and white items easily but when it comes to say for instance blue and gold, different manufacturers use different dyes and you would end up with a mish mash of colours which wouldnt be uniform. By making it black and white we are able to give people the chance to buy items from almost anywhere and at a variety of prices according to quality.

Im not sure if the figures you are quoting are the results from the consultation or the comments sheets put out on the night. The decision to introduce a dress code was based on the consultation of pupils parents and primary 7s who will be joining the school after the summer. The choice of formal or casual is up to the individual. Feedback from the pupils asked in the school as to what they wanted to wear was overwhelmingly for the blazer etc. Whether this ends up being the case only time will tell.

Im sure if you havent received your letter with a list of the items permitted and prices etc that you will have it at the beginning of the week.

I have no objections to black and white (never mentioned colours), what I said was a casual mix and match uniform. Kids are all shapes and sizes and should be able to wear what they find comfortable.

The figures were quoted by the rector on Tuesday night, comment sheets were only done on Tuesday night during the event.

rfr10
26-May-07, 12:39
So what were the comments like that were put into that box on Tuesday?

I would be much happier to follow a dress code than to wear a uniform. I have never ever heard of any one in Wick High School being bullied because of what they wear.

There are no problems at the moment without a uniform so what difference will a uniform make?

Half the teachers in the school don't dress appropriatly and by looking at some, you would think they were pupils of the school. Do the teachers get bullied because of what they wear? If I was given one absolutly very important reason for wearing uniform then I would maybe change my views. I've never seen any one in the school who stands out, thinking "ohh look at that cheap horrible clothes they are wearing"

Maybe the uniform should be designed around current designer clothes.

I'm not arguing here from just my point of view. If what I am saying is only my views then I wouldn't bother saying them but I know for a fact that many others would say the same as I have said.

I have an officers club black shirt which looks modern and if the exact same style shirt had the school badge on it and used as the unidorm, I'd happily wear it.

Venture
26-May-07, 13:09
FOOTLOOSE = Once again I shall repeat that the dress code gives two options, formal or casual. If you cant come up with something to your liking within the large range of items available then you can always opt to not follow the dress code and dress your child whatever way you like. As the clothes cater for very large built children as well I dont see how you should have a problem finding clothes comfortable to wear for any size if this is what you are getting at.

Robin - The decision has been made. The school now has a dress code and you have or will be told what the options are. Whether you choose to follow it is at the end of the day your decision.

rfr10
26-May-07, 14:23
FOOTLOOSE = Once again I shall repeat that the dress code gives two options, formal or casual. If you cant come up with something to your liking within the large range of items available then you can always opt to not follow the dress code and dress your child whatever way you like. As the clothes cater for very large built children as well I dont see how you should have a problem finding clothes comfortable to wear for any size if this is what you are getting at.

Robin - The decision has been made. The school now has a dress code and you have or will be told what the options are. Whether you choose to follow it is at the end of the day your decision.

OK, well, I'll follow it as long as everyone else does. I've got no problem with that.

noodle
27-May-07, 15:45
Maybe the uniform should be designed around current designer clothes.

Ooh not a good idea - think of what styles have come in and out of fashion the past few years - would make the uniform very dated ;) Sounds like the options that are being described are less "datable" (when my secondary school uniform was "smartened up" from a dress code that had been let slide we had the option to wear polo shirts as well - and that was - yikes - 14 years ago!):lol:

~~Tides~~
27-May-07, 18:56
I am an unfortunate pupil of WHS. I am totally against this ‘uniform’, even though it's not actually a uniform. I think Thurso's 'uniform' looks completely crap: some people wearing hoodies, some wearing rugby tops, some their stupid tie all undone trying to be cool. It looks really untidy as well as just completely naff. At least when everyone is dressed in their normal clothes there is some kind of maturity and dignity to it, like a collage or university. There is just no point to these 'dress codes'.
Also, throughout my school passage, I have never seen or heard of anyone be bullied about what they have been wearing (and I was hardly trendily dressed when I was younger). It just doesn’t seem to be an issue nowadays and it defiantly seems to be all the 'concerned mother types' that seem to be pushing this point.
If it was compulsory I would have just shut-up and got on with it, but it’s not, so what’s the point?

rfr10
27-May-07, 19:58
No matter what we say.. adults always take control and make the final decision.

This is what we are trying to stop. All pupils should be consulted. If you carried out a survey with straight quetion being.. Do you want to wear a uniform to school? With the two answers being Yes and No.. guess what most people would say?

I was thinking today.. maybe people don't want to wear it because they just don't have enough pride in their school as when I help at the swimming club, we have to wear bright yellow tshirts (yellow not quite being the colour I'd choose to wear) and I don't actually mind wearing it though...

golach
27-May-07, 20:10
No matter what we say.. adults always take control and make the final decision.

Excuse me rfr....who pays for all this.......your parents!!!
Bairns should be seen and NOT heard....and get the Tawse twice a day where they did anything or not [lol]
I would not dare tell my parents I was not going to wear what they bought me.[disgust]
Once you start earning a wage and contributing to the household....then maybe...just maybe you can have a say, because it is not your name on the door...its the name of your parents.

rfr10
27-May-07, 20:15
Excuse me rfr....who pays for all this.......your parents!!!
Bairns should be seen and NOT heard....and get the Tawse twice a day where they did anything or not [lol]
I would not dare tell my parents I was not going to wear what they bought me.[disgust]
Once you start earning a wage and contributing to the household....then maybe...just maybe you can have a say, because it is not your name on the door...its the name of your parents.

I'm not a "bairn" :|

And what has the person who pays for the uniform got to do with adults taking control?

Young people have just as much right to have their say as adults do.

golach
27-May-07, 20:17
I'm not a "bairn" :|

And what has the person who pays for the uniform got to do with adults taking control?

Young people have just as much right to have their say as adults do.
Your at school, your living off your parents....your a bairn!!! in my eyes

rfr10
27-May-07, 20:42
Your comment "Bairns should be seen and NOT heard" is exactly what annoys me. How many adults actually listen to young people? Adults, children, teenagers, "bairns" should not be treated differently. It would be the equivilent of age discrimination for older people. Some adults wander why some young people don't respect them.. its vice versa. Do you respect the views of young people? This forum needs more teenagers.

golach
27-May-07, 20:47
Your comment "Bairns should be seen and NOT heard" is exactly what annoys me. How many adults actually listen to young people? Adults, children, teenagers, "bairns" should not be treated differently. It would be the equivilent of age discrimination for older people. Some adults wander why some young people don't respect them.. its vice versa. Do you respect the views of young people?
Actually I listen to the views of young people, I am a grandfather of 4....but respect is another matter, ...respect has to be earned even if you are an Adult....a bairn, youngster, teenager, child....is low down the pecking order of life.......you have to get used to that.......Adults pay your way....respect them!!!! And if your are annoyed then tough....its part of growing up...get used to it

rfr10
27-May-07, 20:55
Actually I listen to the views of young people, I am a grandfather of 4....but respect is another matter, ...respect has to be earned even if you are an Adult....a bairn, youngster, teenager, child....is low down the pecking order of life.......you have to get used to that.......Adults pay your way....respect them!!!! And if your are annoyed then tough....its part of growing up...get used to it

No it's not tough. This is a very good example of why so many young people don't have as much respect for adults as they probably did in the past. No one is going to respect adults who treat young people as though they are unimportant and objects

Glenys Hirst
27-May-07, 22:49
What happened to the school uniform at WHS? I went there in 1976 and pupils wore the uniform then!......
At my son's high school they wear navy blue v-necked sweatshirt and navy trousers and while polo t.shirt.They have to wear black shoes..and are not allowed to wear 'hoodies''. If they turn up at School not wearing the correct uniform they are sent home to change!.....They do have non-uniform days when they pay a forfit...£1 which goes to a named charity.

rfr10
28-May-07, 10:24
What happened to the school uniform at WHS? I went there in 1976 and pupils wore the uniform then!......
At my son's high school they wear navy blue v-necked sweatshirt and navy trousers and while polo t.shirt.They have to wear black shoes..and are not allowed to wear 'hoodies''. If they turn up at School not wearing the correct uniform they are sent home to change!.....They do have non-uniform days when they pay a forfit...£1 which goes to a named charity.

Schools are not allowed to force pupils to wear the uniform therefore they are not allowed to make a pupil go home and change.

cat
28-May-07, 10:35
i drive past th WHS every day on my way to work and i'm amazed at what some of the pupils are wearing! i'm not totaly in favour of uniform as i don't think how expensive their clothes are is the same problem now as it used to be when i went to WHS. it's needed a dress code since low waisted jeans and short tops came into fashion tho!!

rfr10
28-May-07, 10:43
I think it's quite cheeky to make us pay for clothes we don't like. If it's the school who wants us to wear it, they should be the ones paying for it.

golach
28-May-07, 10:45
I think it's quite cheeky to make us pay for clothes we don't like. If it's the school who wants us to wear it, they should be the ones paying for it.
Ehmm, excuse me....who are the "We" in this post....its the parents that pay for the uniform.

rfr10
28-May-07, 10:48
Ehmm, excuse me....who are the "We" in this post....its the parents that pay for the uniform.

Ok. I think it's quite cheeky to make parents pay for their sons/daughters to wear clothes they do not like.

cat
28-May-07, 11:02
as you grow up you will discover there's lots of things you will have to pay for that you don't like!!:~(

changilass
28-May-07, 11:04
I liked wearing a school uniform, it meant my good clothes were there for when I needed them, instead of trying to find sumat everyone at school hadn't already seen.

Marty McFly
28-May-07, 11:05
as you grow up you will discover there's lots of things you will have to pay for that you don't like!!:~(

Well said! :roll:

rfr10
28-May-07, 11:06

Not un-necessary things though.

golach
28-May-07, 11:06
Ok. I think it's quite cheeky to make parents pay for their sons/daughters to wear clothes they do not like.
Parents rule...if they like the uniform...well I am sorry but like it or lump it...you will wear it......jeeez kids today[evil]

rfr10
28-May-07, 11:09
Parents rule...if they like the uniform...well I am sorry but like it or lump it...you will wear it......jeeez kids today[evil]

So what happens if we decide not to wear it?

Parents like the uniform do they? I heard pleanty of comments on the Tuesday night that showed that some parents weren't exactly for the uniform either.

changilass
28-May-07, 11:13
Why aint you in school rf, thought hols were only in England??

If you don't dress apropriately in the workplace you would be sent home, same should happen at school.

To my mind you are being given too much choice anyway.

rfr10
28-May-07, 11:15
Why aint you in school rf, thought hols were only in England??

If you don't dress apropriately in the workplace you would be sent home, same should happen at school.

To my mind you are being given too much choice anyway.

Study leave.

"appropriately" you do not need a school uniform to dress like this.

Too much choice? What choices do we get?

Tony
28-May-07, 11:22
At least they are given various options of the uniform to wear compared to other schools down south.
Wonder the reason for deciding this now. Could it be?

1) Looks good.
2) Popular with pupils , teachers and parents.
3) Stops fashion trends resulting in some feeling less inferior or picked on.
4) Girls appear less attractive to the boys while still looks good (not so revealing) allowing to concentrate on studies more than each other.
5) Easier for the authorities to spot them outwith school during school time (this may also have a safety aspect as well as skyvers).

When you leave school and obtain employment chances are you may have to wear a uniform/dress code of some variety and simply can't refuse on the grounds it may appear naff.:D

golach
28-May-07, 11:39
For example...?

So what age do you class as a child?
At what age do you class you are no longer a child?

rfr10
28-May-07, 12:08
At what age do you class you are no longer a child?

6-11 (Child) 12-15 (Pre-teenager) 16-19 (teenager) 20+ (Adult)

Penelope Pitstop
28-May-07, 12:13
I'm all for teachers dressing smartly but they need to be distigueshed from pupils - the kids need to know who's in charge!

Yes I agree, that's why a "uniform" of some type would be good for the teachers. And as I said, lead by example.

rfr10
28-May-07, 12:14
Yes I agree, that's why a "uniform" of some type would be good for the teachers. And as I said, lead by example.

:D I like people like this :P

Lolabelle
28-May-07, 12:19
I gotta say, that the last page of posts here have been good for a laugh. rfr10, you really should print off all these posts. One day you will have kids, and then have a chuckle over your naivety. I don't know how old you are, but when you have kids, you might find school uniforms to be an economical option. And it wouldn't hurt to just respect adults because they are adults. In the olden days when kids respected adults, it was usually because the adults gave the kids absolutely no say and they got a hiding if they gave too much back chat. IMHO, kids don't respect adults because they give them too much freedom.
But it has still been good for a laugh.:Razz

Venture
28-May-07, 12:25
rfr10 - If you are still at school you are classed as a child. The fact you are 14/15 dosent give you any more advantages than someone who is 13, You seem to be stating your opinion about the uniform on here but we have yet to hear from you how your parents feel about it. By the way on the consultation form you and your parents were given the chance to state whether you wanted a dress code or not. At the end of the day you do not have to wear the uniform but I would think the school would want to know your reasons for not doing so. Rules are rules although on this occasion the schools hands are tied when it comes to enforcing it completely. The law states that a child cannot be denied an education by being sent home for not wearing a uniform. Surely on this occasion the parents should be taking the reins and guiding their children in the right direction by getting their child to wear it. As a parent myself I would certainly want my child to comply with the school rather than be seen to obstruct something that is being done for the good of the pupils and the school.

I think if you class yourself as being mature and want to be treated with respect then you have to show respect to the rector and the school and follow the dress code. At your age you should be setting an example to the younger children at the school. Later on in life as an adult you will find that there are plenty rules that we dont like but have to follow. Acting like a spoilt brat because we cant get our own way wont do any good. Learning to abide by rules as a child gives us all a taste of whats to come in the big bad world.

Your comments about parents complaining about uniforms on the open evening says it all If you werent interested in the uniform why were you or the others there in the first place. Its the same old story it dosent matter what people try and do there are always those who are never happy.

connieb19
28-May-07, 12:28
When were these consultation forms sent to parents?

rfr10
28-May-07, 12:37
I gotta say, that the last page of posts here have been good for a laugh. rfr10, you really should print off all these posts. One day you will have kids, and then have a chuckle over your naivety. I don't know how old you are, but when you have kids, you might find school uniforms to be an economical option. And it wouldn't hurt to just respect adults because they are adults. In the olden days when kids respected adults, it was usually because the adults gave the kids absolutely no say and they got a hiding if they gave too much back chat. IMHO, kids don't respect adults because they give them too much freedom.
But it has still been good for a laugh.:Razz

Oh yes, hahaah halarious.. my posts.. cant stop laughing at them. It shows your naivety to laugh at such things.

rfr10
28-May-07, 12:40
rfr10 - If you are still at school you are classed as a child. The fact you are 14/15 dosent give you any more advantages than someone who is 13, You seem to be stating your opinion about the uniform on here but we have yet to hear from you how your parents feel about it. By the way on the consultation form you and your parents were given the chance to state whether you wanted a dress code or not. At the end of the day you do not have to wear the uniform but I would think the school would want to know your reasons for not doing so. Rules are rules although on this occasion the schools hands are tied when it comes to enforcing it completely. The law states that a child cannot be denied an education by being sent home for not wearing a uniform. Surely on this occasion the parents should be taking the reins and guiding their children in the right direction by getting their child to wear it. As a parent myself I would certainly want my child to comply with the school rather than be seen to obstruct something that is being done for the good of the pupils and the school.

I think if you class yourself as being mature and want to be treated with respect then you have to show respect to the rector and the school and follow the dress code. At your age you should be setting an example to the younger children at the school. Later on in life as an adult you will find that there are plenty rules that we dont like but have to follow. Acting like a spoilt brat because we cant get our own way wont do any good. Learning to abide by rules as a child gives us all a taste of whats to come in the big bad world.

Your comments about parents complaining about uniforms on the open evening says it all If you werent interested in the uniform why were you or the others there in the first place. Its the same old story it dosent matter what people try and do there are always those who are never happy.

Consultation? You mean the one where nearly every parent of the pupils in the class said they would rather follow a dress code?

I was there on Tuesday as, I have said.. if the uniforms had looked decent, I wouldn't refuse to wear one. Lower the prices and that might help too.

Also.. can you define "dress code" for me please.

Venture
28-May-07, 12:45
The consultation forms were given to every pupil to take home to their parents I think it was March.

rfr10 The school have opted for a dress code and given out detaisl of what is acceptable.

rfr10
28-May-07, 12:46
The consultation forms were given to every pupil to take home to their parents I think it was March.

rfr10 The school have opted for a dress code and given out detaisl of what is acceptable.

Dress code as in.. doesn't have to be a uniform but will get told what clothes are acceptable and unacceptable?

rangers1873
28-May-07, 14:04
as a parent with 2 kids at whs it really gets on my nerves the attitude of some people towards the kids of today. golachs comments towards rfr10 are totally wrong, how can we expect the kids to grow up when they get no say in any matter concerning them when they keep getting labeled with tags like bairns ,kids etc. it is the year 2007 not 1947 they should be able to have the same say as us especially when it concerns them.good on rfr10 for speaking his mind.

Tony
28-May-07, 14:53
The pupils, teachers and parents had a say as they did in Thurso. It was apparently the pupils who liked the idea in Thurso or so I was told at the evening they were shown in the school. My children/teenagers/pupils/students/youths/young adults (still minors under parental/adult control) were keen to wear the uniform.
You can't please everybody even with all the choices but like the real world have to go by the majority decision.
The problem here is change. If the uniform was in force previously we would not have this thread and would have been accepted as normal. The majority of Primary schools have always had a uniform of some description.

rfr10
28-May-07, 15:19
The pupils, teachers and parents had a say as they did in Thurso. It was apparently the pupils who liked the idea in Thurso or so I was told at the evening they were shown in the school. My children/teenagers/pupils/students/youths/young adults (still minors under parental/adult control) were keen to wear the uniform.
You can't please everybody even with all the choices but like the real world have to go by the majority decision.
The problem here is change. If the uniform was in force previously we would not have this thread and would have been accepted as normal. The majority of Primary schools have always had a uniform of some description.

The pupils did, did they? I certainly didn't.
I was told by a pupil council rep in the school that, what was written down as the pupil council liked the idea of a uniform is not true. Are adults changing the words of pupils to suit them?

cat
28-May-07, 15:20
i agree,ibrox, they should and did have a say. but have you seen what some of these pupils are wearing to school? i don't think there's anything wrong in disscussing things but i would never dared leave the house looking the way that a few of them do.its a big bad world out there sometimes so 14 year olds shouldn't be going to school looking like 19 year olds on a night out!!
and it does no harm to learn to do as you're told, because you have to follow rules at work etc

rfr10
28-May-07, 15:22
i agree,ibrox, they should and did have a say. but have you seen what some of these pupils are wearing to school? i don't think there's anything wrong in disscussing things but i would never dared leave the house looking the way that a few of them do.its a big bad world out there sometimes so 14 year olds shouldn't be going to school looking like 19 year olds on a night out!!
and it does no harm to learn to do as you're told, because you have to follow rules at work etc

I agree there.. So it's a dress code we really need and not a uniform.

Tony
28-May-07, 15:46

. .

I will try and answer a few of your questions. Firstly WHS have opted to introduce a dress code to the school. It is up to the individual pupil whether or not they choose to follow it. Nobody and I repeat nobody can be forced to wear it. The school will advise parents that it would prefer if all pupils wore it but it is not compulsory. The majority of pupils, parents and staff made it very clear that they wanted a proper uniform for the school. The idea of the blazer is an item that the pupils particularly wanted.

We have opted for a basic uniform which will be easy to obtain. Trousers shirts and skirts can be bought from any outlet as long as they are black. We will be making the uniform available from local as well as a south firm who will offer a postal or telephone delivery service. One of the local outlets will offer an interest free pay up scheme to enable the uniform to be more affordable especuially for families with more than one child. The tie and badge can also be obtained locally. The school will not be involved in any ordering. Trying to kit out a school of nearlly 900 pupils is a massive task and the school have enough to deal with. The suppliers will take on this job.

The price of the uniform will depend on the individual choice of garment. Items can be bought very reasonably locally. I.t really depends on where you buy them from.

OK, well, I'll follow it as long as everyone else does. I've got no problem with that.

Decision has been made. Case closed.

rfr10
28-May-07, 15:50
Yea. Once again, by adults unfortionatly.

No offence to the adults who do listen to views of young people.

gothlife420
28-May-07, 16:11
and they say its saving money??? we spend alot on desighner cloths right were still gonna buy the desighner clothes for holidays and stuff like that but now...we have to spend more money on clothes for school ?? answer me that is it realy saving money oh and i had a look at the sheet the school gave me today...for a full uniform its atleast 70 to 100 pound well my look on a full uniform is the blazer the shirt the tie the shoes the trousers and i will tell u the prices of these

blazer 49.99

trousers 19.99

two shirts 19.99

thats around 70-100 pounds if u want shoes it will be more (i dont no the price of the shoes but the tie is 4.50)

rfr10
28-May-07, 16:29
May I also add.. we are teenagers, we are sick and tired of adults making all the decisions of matters that effect us. Not just uniform but many others. Why do you think there are youth parliaments, youth workers, youth forums etc..

angela5
28-May-07, 16:53
and they say its saving money??? we spend alot on desighner cloths right were still gonna buy the desighner clothes for holidays and stuff like that but now...we have to spend more money on clothes for school ?? answer me that is it realy saving money oh and i had a look at the sheet the school gave me today...for a full uniform its atleast 70 to 100 pound well my look on a full uniform is the blazer the shirt the tie the shoes the trousers and i will tell u the prices of these

blazer 49.99

trousers 19.99

two shirts 19.99

thats around 70-100 pounds if u want shoes it will be more (i dont no the price of the shoes but the tie is 4.50)

J gunn quoted £49.99 for a blazer.:eek:

National Schoolwear in Inverness is between £18 & £37+ £4 for the badge. How many parents is going to manage to Inverness?

And kids will need more than one pair of black trousers!! Infact they will need 2 of just about everything!

A decent pair of hard wearing black shoes will set you back a few pound.
This is going to be rather expensive if you have more than one child at WHS.:(

rfr10
28-May-07, 17:05
Lower your prices and then maybe, just maybe people will consider it.

winnie
28-May-07, 21:53
can any one tell me what will happen to the kids that wont wear it or parents that dont have that sort of money to get with 3 kids at the school and get no help as both working

rfr10
28-May-07, 22:08
can any one tell me what will happen to the kids that wont wear it or parents that dont have that sort of money to get with 3 kids at the school and get no help as both working

The teachers will hunt you down and ohh.. who know what teachers will do :P

Even with me against uniform, maybe they could apply for an EMA and use that even though I've been told by a certain person that it's the parents who pay for the uniform.

I'm not quite sure about what the deal is with grants but I doubt you will get that. I'd say this is another reason to go with my argument against them.

Tubthumper
28-May-07, 22:18
first of all robin keep my personall details out of this thread please and also your right who is gonna manage inverness ppl r going to go to gunns and its expensive all am saying is if you realy want your son and or daughter to wear uniforn by all means go ahead am just saying am trying to help u by saying your gonna be spending alot more money a year not alot more but still more than u would with no uniform and plz dont put up an arguement about this ^ because i have good explanation and am sure robin would back me up
Are the adults talking about enforcing a punctuation & spelling code then?

rfr10
28-May-07, 22:20
Are the adults talking about enforcing a punctuation & spelling code then?

Lol. Now there's no need to be cheeky and surcastic.

foreveruntitled
28-May-07, 22:27
as a parent with 2 kids at whs it really gets on my nerves the attitude of some people towards the kids of today. golachs comments towards rfr10 are totally wrong, how can we expect the kids to grow up when they get no say in any matter concerning them when they keep getting labeled with tags like bairns ,kids etc. it is the year 2007 not 1947 they should be able to have the same say as us especially when it concerns them.good on rfr10 for speaking his mind.

Well said.

Tubthumper
28-May-07, 22:27
OK, sorry for being surcastic. I sympathise as I was a youth myself once, and resented any old git interfering in my life.
Now I am an old git and while I would hate to interfere in anyone's life, I would advise that while a touch of angry resentment, properly managed, can be a positive and beneficial influence on a young person's development, a little bit of appreciation that the world in which you will one day be earning a crust kind of appreciates people who can conform within loose boundaries can be a very useful tool in convincing prospective employers to give you a break and lots of dosh.
Trust me, it's easier to be a bit of a non-conformist when you've got a regular wage coming in.

Tubthumper
28-May-07, 22:32
I think our youngsters get plenty of say and scope in what happens these days, perhaps too much and that's why we keep seeing reports of out-of-control kids causing mayhem.
They ARE kids, bairns etc. They can't have the same say as adults because they don't know what to have the say about. It's not about how can they grow up, it's about HOW they grow up.
The point is that responsible adults must set boundaries within which youth should operate. How else can they learn how to function in the world?
And I say good for rfr10 for speaking their mind. They'll make a good leader when older.
ooops!

rfr10
28-May-07, 22:33
Well said.
:O that's another one on my friends list :D

rfr10
28-May-07, 22:48
OK, sorry for being surcastic. I sympathise as I was a youth myself once, and resented any old git interfering in my life.
Now I am an old git and while I would hate to interfere in anyone's life, I would advise that while a touch of angry resentment, properly managed, can be a positive and beneficial influence on a young person's development, a little bit of appreciation that the world in which you will one day be earning a crust kind of appreciates people who can conform within loose boundaries can be a very useful tool in convincing prospective employers to give you a break and lots of dosh.
Trust me, it's easier to be a bit of a non-conformist when you've got a regular wage coming in.

And you didn't even know that I spelt sarcastic wrong and you spelt it surcastic yourself! :P

Tubthumper
28-May-07, 22:49
And you didn't even know that I spelt sarcastic wrong and you spelt it surcastic yourself! :P
Blast! Knew I should of studied harder at english!

rfr10
28-May-07, 22:51
Blast! Knew I should of studied harder at english!

Lol. Oh I'm sure it was just a slip of the finger on the keyboard! :P

Tubthumper
28-May-07, 22:52
Lol. Oh I'm sure it was just a slip of the finger on the keyboard! :P
Hah! But you didn't notice I wrote 'should of' instead of 'should have'!
Is that quits? Or am I taking this too serious?

rfr10
28-May-07, 22:58
Hah! But you didn't notice I wrote 'should of' instead of 'should have'!
Is that quits? Or am I taking this too serious?

I did notice it, just waitied to see if you said anything about it first! :Razz

Tubthumper
28-May-07, 23:04
Are you pee'ed off about the uniform itself or the fact you're being told to wear it?

rfr10
28-May-07, 23:08
Are you pee'ed off about the uniform itself or the fact you're being told to wear it?

As you can see from the start of this thread, I started off calm and not too bothered about the uniform and I said I wouldn't cause any arguments but then there are certain people who just force me to comment back.

~~Tides~~
28-May-07, 23:12
4) Girls appear less attractive to the boys while still looks good (not so revealing) allowing to concentrate on studies more than each other.
5) Easier for the authorities to spot them outwith school during school time (this may also have a safety aspect as well as skyvers).

4 - Well I have always been a fan of the idea that they should just not let the good-looking girls into the high school. These nice looking girls are just a damn nuisance and are detriment to everyone’s education. You have to weigh it up, they education of these few good-looking girls or the education of everyone. It's such a dilemma.

5 - Such a great idea, it really benifits every single person at the school. Also a great idea which should be used along side this, much along the same lines, electronic tagging!

(sarcasm over)

rfr10
28-May-07, 23:18
I think this will make a good debate for Highland Youth Voice sometime. I'll suggest it the next time I'm away.

~~Tides~~
28-May-07, 23:26
Also getting on my goat in this thread: all those people saying that pupils were informed and consulted. Were those people there when we were getting consulted??? The questionaire that was sent home was addressed to parents, not pupils. Apparently the pupil counicils were all very much in favour of the school uniform, hmm funny, not at the one I was at. And also, when someone had the idea of pointing out to the rector when the whole of 5th year were in the hall that it would be a good time to have a show of hands of who were in favour of uniform, was it a clear majority? It most certainly was not!

Seems many people in this thread (golach et al) have the attitude of forcing their nostalgia for their itchy grey shorts, cloth caps (and probably a vest in there as well,) of the yesteryear of nineteen-o-digidy on us. (Forgot to mention slingshot in back pocket)

Yes, primary schools have a uniform. Universities do not.

Tubthumper
28-May-07, 23:29
I think this will make a good debate for Highland Youth Voice sometime. I'll suggest it the next time I'm away.
I think you should, and I wish you luck in the future.
Maybe you could debate youth drunkenness, drug abuse, noisy parties, broken windows and damaged cars, the amount of rubbish dropped, appalling driving in Caithness as relate to young people, and get the Youth Parliament to start enforcing some rules...

Tubthumper
28-May-07, 23:31
Seems many people in this thread (golach et al) have the attitude of forcing their nostalgia for their itchy grey shorts, cloth caps (and probably a vest in there as well,) of the yesteryear of nineteen-o-digidy on us. (Forgot to mention slingshot in back pocket)

Yes, primary schools have a uniform. Universities do not.
Do you go to a good school?

golach
28-May-07, 23:33
I think you should
get the Youth Parliament to start enforcing some rules...
Tubthumper there you go using those words...enforcing & rules!!!.The little darlings, our children, dont like those words at all [lol]

rfr10
28-May-07, 23:44
I think you should, and I wish you luck in the future.
Maybe you could debate youth drunkenness, drug abuse, noisy parties, broken windows and damaged cars, the amount of rubbish dropped, appalling driving in Caithness as relate to young people, and get the Youth Parliament to start enforcing some rules...

We've debated things such as alcohol, drugs, sexual health, road safety, fire safety, public transport, bullying and many other things that affect the lives of young people. Glad to see you've made a few suggestions of what we should discuss. Wish more people would do the same.

rfr10
28-May-07, 23:48
Tubthumper there you go using those words...enforcing & rules!!!.The little darlings, our children, dont like those words at all [lol]

Sarcasm again is it?

I am very much for enforcing important things which affect people's lives. Uniform certainly does not affect a teenagers life at school until some people try to brain wash them and force ideas into their head. Let's face it, adults won't be happy until every teenager agrees with them and they don't like anyone younger than them going against them. As I've said in a previous thread- we are teenagers, do you expect us to be like the old fuddy duddys and say.. ohh yes I'd look so smart in a uniform. What normal teenager is going to say "Yes, I'd absolutly love to wear uniform." We are responsible enough now to dress the way we feel comfortable and not to be constantly ruled by adults. Young people are the worlds future and they certainly should not be treated like irresponsible people who should not have a say in their life. We are in the 21st century now, things have changed!

Tubthumper
28-May-07, 23:49
Debating's a fine thing, but does your forum actually come up with recommendations to put to the powers-that-be, that actually make a difference?
And how many of your peers are aware of/care about your forum?
Also, how many of your peers do you actually represent?
And one final thing, as relates to the question I asked Tides: Do you go to a good school?

Tubthumper
28-May-07, 23:52
Young people are the worlds future and they certainly should not be treated like irresponsible people who should not have a say in their life. We are in the 21st century now, things have changed!
You're right. Your only problem is your complete failure to appreciate that (a) all the old people were once young people (b) most young people ARE irresponsible and (c) you will be an old people yourself one day, at which point you'll probably be on our side regarding the young people.

rfr10
28-May-07, 23:57
Debating's a fine thing, but does your forum actually come up with recommendations to put to the powers-that-be, that actually make a difference?
And how many of your peers are aware of/care about your forum?
Also, how many of your peers do you actually represent?
And one final thing, as relates to the question I asked Tides: Do you go to a good school?

We do our best. It's not always easy to get past adults.
We are trying our best to promote Highland Youth Voice and the Scottish Youth Parliament along with local youth forums. I have made it noticeable in Wick High School with a notice board, notices on the day-sheet and Highland Youth Voice posters. Whether it makes a difference- I do not know. A new Highland Youth Voice website is expected to launch later this year and hopefully many young people from across the Highlands will take time to visit the site and help us to make decisions on matter that effect us.

I am one of the 3 Highland Youth Voice representatives representing Wick High School and I also represent the whole of the young people in Caithness in the Executive Committee of youth voice.

We really do need to see more promotion of Youth Voice however we can't seem to find any good ways to promote it. We previously had an apprentice day where I shadowed the director of education, culture and sport along with other members of the executive committee who also shadowed heads and key officials of the Highland Council and Highland Well being allicnace officials. The point in this being, to raise awareness of youth voice.

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 00:02
We do our best. It's not always easy to get past adults.
We are trying our best to promote Highland Youth Voice and the Scottish Youth Parliament along with local youth forums.
We really do need to see more promotion of Youth Voice however we can't seem to find any good ways to promote it.
Sounds like you're up against the old indifference thing, just like politics in the bigger world!. I can't personally think of any ways to improve the situation, however I do wish you luck for what you do. Keep at it, try to point your anger at something worthwhile, and remember, one day you'll be an old poop like me and Golach!

rfr10
29-May-07, 00:04
Sounds like you're up against the old indifference thing, just like politics in the bigger world!. I can't personally think of any ways to improve the situation, however I do wish you luck for what you do. Keep at it, try to point your anger at something worthwhile, and remember, one day you'll be an old poop like me and Golach!

Thank you very much and thank you for your fair comments, I appreciate it very much.

Time for my bed now I think. Back in action in the morning where there's bound to be another reply to this thread.

golach
29-May-07, 08:46
You're right. Your only problem is your complete failure to appreciate that (a) all the old people were once young people (b) most young people ARE irresponsible and (c) you will be an old people yourself one day, at which point you'll probably be on our side regarding the young people.
I could not have put it better myself, and am in full agreement with you, the children of today seem to forget those points you have stated

Venture
29-May-07, 09:20
For all the moaners and groaners who have posted their opposition on here to the new WHS dress code, can I ask where were you all when the school asked for anyone to join the PSA. All the parents and PUPILS who now suddenly seem to be taking a keen interest in school matters were nowhere to be seen then. If you want a voice or say in what happens in the school you can now all become members of the new Parent Council which comes into being in Septemeber when the PSA and School Board will cease to exist.

I somehow dont anticipate a stampede as the majority of people who have complaints seem to become very shy when they get the opportunity to stand up and be counted. They prefer to hide in the background and criticise those who have given their time and effort to helping the school.

The idea that the PSA and staff made the decision to introduce the dress code is not the case. Pupils were consulted in school about it although probably half of them can't remember and every one of the parents were sent home a consultation form with their child. Whether or not they received it is something that they will have to sort out with their child.

The decision was based on feedback from the consultations which showed a majority in favour of the dress code being introduced. If the return figures were low then you as either a parent or pupil had your chance to voice your opinion. The school cant be held responsible for all the forms that were never delivered home. With nearlly 900 pupils in school it would have been an impossible task to chase up all the forms that hadnt been returned.

The reason the PSA became involved was that the school found it hard to concentrate on the ground work involved in introducing the dress code and the PSA offered to help out. You all still have a choice to follow the dress code or not. We shall have to wait until August to see what the end result is.

Finally I look forward to being knocked down in the rush at the first Parent Council meeting in September ...somehow I wont hold my breath.

cat
29-May-07, 10:56
well having been roped into going on playschool committee years ago i swore never again!
most of these committees,although they say they need more people to join in,they usually don't mean it! they are usully full of very opinionated people that don't want anyone joining to rock the boat! and there's always the few that do all the work(their choice if they have nothing better to do) and new-comers usully aren't welcome!!and even if the new person is daft enough to say anything they will be shot down in flames as they haven't been there whinging away since the year dot and missed out helping out at something or other(perhaps as they do have a life) so therefor have no say anyway!!!

oops,maybe i just got outa bed on the wrong side!!!

rfr10
29-May-07, 11:35
For all the moaners and groaners who have posted their opposition on here to the new WHS dress code, can I ask where were you all when the school asked for anyone to join the PSA. All the parents and PUPILS who now suddenly seem to be taking a keen interest in school matters were nowhere to be seen then. If you want a voice or say in what happens in the school you can now all become members of the new Parent Council which comes into being in Septemeber when the PSA and School Board will cease to exist.

I somehow dont anticipate a stampede as the majority of people who have complaints seem to become very shy when they get the opportunity to stand up and be counted. They prefer to hide in the background and criticise those who have given their time and effort to helping the school.

The idea that the PSA and staff made the decision to introduce the dress code is not the case. Pupils were consulted in school about it although probably half of them can't remember and every one of the parents were sent home a consultation form with their child. Whether or not they received it is something that they will have to sort out with their child.

The decision was based on feedback from the consultations which showed a majority in favour of the dress code being introduced. If the return figures were low then you as either a parent or pupil had your chance to voice your opinion. The school cant be held responsible for all the forms that were never delivered home. With nearlly 900 pupils in school it would have been an impossible task to chase up all the forms that hadnt been returned.

The reason the PSA became involved was that the school found it hard to concentrate on the ground work involved in introducing the dress code and the PSA offered to help out. You all still have a choice to follow the dress code or not. We shall have to wait until August to see what the end result is.

Finally I look forward to being knocked down in the rush at the first Parent Council meeting in September ...somehow I wont hold my breath.

I would help out in school if I had the time but I think you'll find I'm already doing my best for people my age in the community. Not meaning to be big headed but I am: A Highland Youth Voice Representative for Wick High School, meeting Bi-annually, I represent Caithness in the Highland Youth Voice Executive, meeting approximitly once every month, I am on the Big Lottery Fund, Young People's Panel for the Highland, I am a member of Caithness Youth Forum and a member of Caithness Youth Bank.. You can't expect me to join in a committee at the school aswell can you? In fact and committees at school such as pupil councils should be feeding back information and matters arising at the school to Highland Youth Voice. I would very much appreciate it if this was done and info was fed back to me so I can discuss matters further with HYV. This is what is supposed to be done as, if you notice the HYV poster on the HYV notice board in Wick High School, it shows which organisations and committees link with Highland Youth Voice and the Scottish Youth Parliament. Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross now have Members of the Scottish Youth Parliament who will put a lot of effort into dealing with matters arising for young people. Highland Youth Voice link with them into bring Highland wide matters, Scotland Wide and then maybe nationally in the UK Youth Parliament.

So as I said, I'd appreciate it if maybe the PSA or whatever it is called now maybe ask the pupil council to link in with Highland Youth Voice and feed back to us what they discuss at their meetings. As you will notice, I very rarely put across ONLY my views on this forum. I try to represent the majority of young people. Before I write things on here, I make sure that other young people I know think basically the same.

rfr10
29-May-07, 11:49
Ohh, letter just through the door, lets see.. hrm prices.. right here we go..

Oh "We provide schoolwear at affordable prices..

Black Blazers- £49.99
.. everything else is basically £20 so let's say we'll be paying round about.. £100 for the full uniform or even more!

I honeslty can't believe this.. A dress code is to be told what to wear and what not to wear but now somehow, a dress code means the same as a uniform..

"Consulted widely with pupils" .. ahem.. no you haven't. Pupil council- yes.. but you changed their words around to suit you.. "You have the support of the vast majority of pupils" .. not from what I can see.

Totally ridiculous. The letter basically tells us "YOU MUST WEAR IT" no notice of.. it's not compulsary. There is no way my parents will pay £100 for a uniform.

~~Tides~~
29-May-07, 12:35
So if you don't have the time or energy or confidence to join the PSA your opinion simply doesn't count? Thats basically what you are saying Venture...

rfr10
29-May-07, 12:47
Can I just say.. on the questionnaire the parents got, I remember the choices being something along the lines to..

Would you prefer..

Formal Uniform..

Casual Uniform...

Follow a dress code..

Other..

.. Therefore I'm assuming that a dress code does not mean wearing a uniform. Now, with the letter received today, it said we will follow a dress code as follows.. and guess what the dress code it.. all items of the school uniform.. Confusing and misleading or what?!

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 12:50
I love the way that people in Wick, from the aged councillors to the schoolkids, get up in arms about anything that changes anything about their lives.
Football pitches, school uniforms, doesn't matter, we'll argue about it...

rfr10
29-May-07, 13:00
I love the way that people in Wick, from the aged councillors to the schoolkids, get up in arms about anything that changes anything about their lives.
Football pitches, school uniforms, doesn't matter, we'll argue about it...

By the looks of it, you're the first.. or maybe second, on here.

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 13:37
So if you don't have the time or energy or confidence to join the PSA your opinion simply doesn't count? Thats basically what you are saying Venture...
I think the point is 'Where were you when the poop hit the fan'.
Many people who bother themselves with helping out, organising, being responsible for, gaining support for, fundraising and so on, get quite annoyed about the fact that any kind of interest, (never mind help, assistance & support!) is always lacking until a decision is made. Then all of a sudden out of the woodwork come a swarm of yelling, screeching concerned citizens, incensed that 'no-one consulted them'...or that the consultation was a sham...

rfr10
29-May-07, 13:50
I think the point is 'Where were you when the poop hit the fan'.
Many people who bother themselves with helping out, organising, being responsible for, gaining support for, fundraising and so on, get quite annoyed about the fact that any kind of interest, (never mind help, assistance & support!) is always lacking until a decision is made. Then all of a sudden out of the woodwork come a swarm of yelling, screeching concerned citizens, incensed that 'no-one consulted them'...or that the consultation was a sham...

Can I just make one thing clear is that I am very respectable of the PSA and Wick High School. I thank them for everything they do that helps the school however, the point in me arguing in these forums is not to be an irritating annoying person and I don't disrespect the school or any of its committees in any way. I know they are volunteering their time to help but young people do need to get their views across at the same time and this is one of the ways to do it. I'm not trying to be like.. Oh uniform.. boooo I'll be childish and just argue for the sake of it. I am just getting my point, along with many other young people who think the same and maybe somthing to be thought about in future. I do not find it very amusing when people try to belittle people in making out that what they say is total nonscence and those who think they can laugh in the face of us because of the "funny" things I've said. I don't joke about anything on here therefore all oppinions should be taken seriously. I will say thank you to venture also for keeping so calm as if I was in her position, I would probably feel very irritated aswell but I'm arguing from a typical teenagers point of view and I'm afraid, we're teenagers and nothing will change that. You cannot force ideas into our heads because it just won't work.

rfr10
29-May-07, 14:32
May I also add that if anyone would like to suggest any issues affecting young people in the Highlands, please contact me by checking out http://www.scottishyouthparliament.org.uk/UserProfile.htm?domId=a456cee9-471e-42b6-b466-4262efd4a988 and clicking on Email this member

I would very much appreciate it. I would also appreciate it if any one has any ideas which would help promote youth voice and raise the awareness of it.

It is unlikely any one will get in contact but please do not hesitate.

Is uniform one or is it a pointless debate?

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 14:54
No debate is pointless, providing it's reasoned and there's some kind of output to it. If this one ends up with everyone taking a full and active part in setting policy at your school, I don't think it's wasted at all.
Just as a matter of interest, has there been a decision on dress code/uniform for the teachers? Last time I was there, some of them were casually dressed to say the least.
What's good for the goose...

rfr10
29-May-07, 15:00
No debate is pointless, providing it's reasoned and there's some kind of output to it. If this one ends up with everyone taking a full and active part in setting policy at your school, I don't think it's wasted at all.
Just as a matter of interest, has there been a decision on dress code/uniform for the teachers? Last time I was there, some of them were casually dressed to say the least.
What's good for the goose...

There probably is some sort of a dress code for the female teachers however, this must vary as some wear shirts and ties, some wear jeans and clothes you would expect a pupil to wear, some wear dresses.. Is there a dress code? Enlighten me. I really don't see why a uniform or strict dress code for teachers is such a bad thing. Have the PSA thought about that before? Maybe it's something that should be discussed. As someone has said before- lead by example. I have to say that most of the senior management team in the school dress in suits which I would say is a good example but teachers should follow similaraly.

rfr10
29-May-07, 15:39
I was just reading a post from venture again and noticed you said.. the majority were in favour of a dress code[b]. Do you know why that it? It's because [b]we do not refer to uniform as dress code. Is that where it's all going wrong? A dress code is rules to decide what is and what isn't acceptable to wear. A uniform is a completely different thing. Maybe this should be considered.

angela5
29-May-07, 15:40

Seeing as it's not compulsary Winnie then we can just put our children in the clothes they wear now.:D

What can they do, they can't deprive them of their education.

At the prices of the uniform there is a lot of parents in the same situation, this is going to be very costly if we choose to purchase it. And how many willl turn up at school in uniform? I don't want my kids after a week saying their not wearing it as hardly anyone else does. :roll:

rfr10
29-May-07, 15:42
Well my mum has said that there is no way she will be paying £100 for a uniform.

It is totally ridiculous.

Anyway, I'll keep my debating to the other thread.

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 15:45
Oh Dear! I agree, Dress Code does not equal Uniform. It might be down to semantics but let's face it, when you've got an emotive subject like this, you can't afford to be slack on the words.
Anyone care to elaborate before poor rfr10 bursts?

angela5
29-May-07, 15:48
Venture, i think i will write down exactly how much it will cost me to kit my children out in uniform. Maybe i can come and see you then and you can tell me how i'll be able to afford it.
Then you will see why i feel very negative.

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 15:50
What can they do, they can't deprive them of their education.

Just a point here, 'They' are the people who are trying, if I'm not mistaken, to improve Wick High School and the educational experience the kids get there.
Maybe 'They' can't deprive your kids of their education, but are YOU really doing your best by your kids if you don't try to support the school?
We're all in this together, aren't we?

rfr10
29-May-07, 15:52
After noticing that a uniform is being refered to as a dress code, I think it's all falling to pieces now..That has made me go even more negative.

Angela.. I was looking at the uniform list today and worked out that if I was to wear the full uniform, it would cost approx. £100.

angela5
29-May-07, 15:57
Just a point here, 'They' are the people who are trying, if I'm not mistaken, to improve Wick High School and the educational experience the kids get there.
Maybe 'They' can't deprive your kids of their education, but are YOU really doing your best by your kids if you don't try to support the school?
We're all in this together, aren't we?

As i have said before i am all in favour of the school uniform. I feel very disappointed that it is 'not compulsary'
I am worried about spending a lot of money buying uniforms only to find a small majority wearing it. I know what kids are like it'll be, 'but mum so and so doesn't wear it so i don't want to' a concern felt by many parents.
It should have been made 'compulsary'.

rfr10
29-May-07, 15:57
As i have said before i am all in favour of the school uniform. I feel very disappointed that it is 'not compulsary'
I am worried about spending a lot of money buying uniforms only to find a small majority wearing it. I know what kids are like it'll be, 'but mum so and so doesn't wear it so i don't want to' a concern felt by many parents.

Change the law and then it probably will.

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 15:58
Let's get back to basics on this one. Can anyone tell me why it was suggested that a uniform or dress code would be desirable at Wick High School?
There must have been a reason to start the consultation process off. So who suggested it and why?

rfr10
29-May-07, 16:00
Let's get back to basics on this one. Can anyone tell me why it was suggested that a uniform or dress code would be desirable at Wick High School?
There must have been a reason to start the consultation process off. So who suggested it and why?
What a very good question.

Alice in Blunderland
29-May-07, 16:02
I received and replied to my questionare on the new school dress code . I support it and so do all three of my children who are from first year to fifth year.

I also received my information sheet on suppliers and prices today..... :confused

Not wishing to appear to be having a go at any one I am surprised to see two price categories from two different suppliers, one cheaper, one more expensive .If one of the aims is to detter you from being picked on due to the clothes you wear why could the preffered supplier not have just been the cheaper one does this not then raise the issue of being picked on due to the clothes you wear ie. na na you have the cheap scabby jacket. Just an observation no criticism intended. :D

rfr10
29-May-07, 16:04
I received and replied to my questionare on the new school dress code . I support it and so do all three of my children who are from first year to fifth year.

I also received my information sheet on suppliers and prices today..... :confused

Not wishing to appear to be having a go at any one I am surprised to see two price categories from two different suppliers, one cheaper, one more expensive .If one of the aims is to detter you from being picked on due to the clothes you wear why could the preffered supplier not have just been the cheaper one does this not then raise the issue of being picked on due to the clothes you wear ie. na na you have the cheap scabby jacket. Just an observation no criticism intended. :D

What do you and your children refer to as dress code?

Venture
29-May-07, 16:04
rfr10 Basically what you are saying is that the rector has taken the decison to introduce dress code against the wishes of the majority of pupils in the school. Also that the pupil councils voted for no dress code?

rfr10
29-May-07, 16:06
rfr10 Basically what you are saying is that the rector has taken the decison to introduce dress code against the wishes of the majority of pupils in the school. Also that the pupil councils voted for no dress code?

No no no no no.. well actually.. can you please define what you say a dress code is for me please. Then I will elaborate.

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 16:06
Sorry Angela, I mis-read your post.
Anyway, £100 for a complete uniform is indeed a lot of money. Can anyone tell me how much it costs to kit out a kid for school in Wick at the moment? Trainers, shell-suit, burberry cap? Or maybe how much some of the young ladies are spending on shoes, make-up & miniskirts?
Maybe £100 isn't so steep after all, especially as it won't go out of fashion in a week!

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 16:09
£100 for a complete uniform is indeed a lot of money.
Can anyone tell me how much it costs to kit out a kid for school in Wick at the moment? Trainers, shell-suit, burberry cap? Or maybe how much some of the young ladies are spending on shoes, make-up & miniskirts?
Maybe £100 isn't so steep after all, especially as it won't go out of fashion in a week!

rfr10
29-May-07, 16:09
Sorry Angela, I mis-read your post.
Anyway, £100 for a complete uniform is indeed a lot of money. Can anyone tell me how much it costs to kit out a kid for school in Wick at the moment? Trainers, shell-suit, burberry cap? Or maybe how much some of the young ladies are spending on shoes, make-up & miniskirts?

Well.. for the clothes I am wearing right now, which I do not just wear for 6 hours a day at school, it costs me about.. £60?? Well.. adding my jacket.. £100 but this is not just clothes I wear to school and I feel comfortable in the clothes I choose to wear.

rfr10
29-May-07, 16:12
Can anyone tell me how much it costs to kit out a kid for school in Wick at the moment? Trainers, shell-suit, burberry cap? Or maybe how much some of the young ladies are spending on shoes, make-up & miniskirts?

Well.. for the clothes I am wearing right now, which I do not just wear for 6 hours a day at school, it costs me about.. £60?? Well.. adding my jacket.. £100 but this is not just clothes I wear to school and I feel comfortable in the clothes I choose to wear.

Alice in Blunderland
29-May-07, 16:31
What do you and your children refer to as dress code?
By dress code I always thought of school uniform also the kids have no problem with wearing school uniform and I have no doubt they will adapt it to reflect their own personality

I have a positive attitude towards the school uniform and I do hope that it can be achieved those not wishing to follow it then that is their choice. The only problem that will then arise is some wearing it some not then it may fall by the wayside and this will then truly be a waste of money.

rainbow
29-May-07, 16:33
How many parents go off to Inverness during the holidays to kit out their kids with trainers, jackets, jeans, tops etc - I never hear them moaning about spending several hundred pounds on this. I am sure many kids have black trousers and black tops already. All a parent needs to buy is a couple of pairs of trousers, a couple of tops and a fleece - this does not equate to £100! And if the child is sensible they can change out of their uniform into their designer gear at 3.30, and I am sure the clothes will be fit to wear the next day - certainly the trousers should be. No-one needs to buy 5 trousers, 5 tops and 5 hoodys - you build up a supply gradually.
Some measures have to be taken against kids who do not wear it - they are just being awkward, and they must accept that rules in society must be obeyed - a lesson can be learnt at school. If it is to work it must be compulsory.

Elenna
29-May-07, 17:09

Well, so far as my family is concerned, up til now the kids have had everyday clothes which have sufficed both to wear to school and for out of school hours. These are replaced as they wear out/are grown out of, as necessary throughout the year. I do not "kit out" my children for the new school year, though I will try to make sure they have all the wearable clothing they need at that time. (for example, one might need shoes, another a couple pairs of trousers, the third a coat...but not several complete sets of clothes all at once for 3 children!)

The only exception to this has been my youngest childs primary school sweatshirts. So, to answer your question, Tubthumper, 2 x sweatshirts @ £7.50 (or thereabouts) = £15 :lol:

But I really have to agree with Angela5...while I support the principle of a school uniform, this is going to require a huge financial outlay (yes, we got our letter today, too), which makes me unenthusiastic to begin with, because there are also far too many uncertanties going on here. As rfr10 has pointed out, "dress code" does not equal compulsory uniforms...those were given as separate choices on the questionnaire that was sent home (I am even looking at a spare copy of that right now)...and it is being admitted anyway that the uniforms are not compulsory! And from what my kids tell me about their own and the majority of their classmates opinions, a big proportion of the student population is not in favour of wearing a uniform at all...so will they, or not?

Out of my three, the eldest girl and youngest boy are a little grumbly, but not too put out with the idea, so long as there is something that suits their particular style and is comfortable. The middle boy, though, is adamant there is no way he is going to wear a uniform...though he often wears black trousers, anyway, and says a he could agree to wearing a black hoodie or fleece, so long as it does not have the school logo on!

So, with all that taken into consideration, in a practical way what I'm likely to do is get them each a school sweatshirt/fleece/hoodie and a couple of white shirts for the start of the year in August, and see how things progress...adding in further uniforms items over time, and encouraging them to wear them if we find that a lot of the other kids are. But there is no way I can afford £100 (if that is being used as a guide amount...I actually think it would be a bit more than that) each for three children, nor would I want to spend that amount of money and then find my children are not wearing the clothes, anyway. :roll:

winnie
29-May-07, 17:34
i do not go to inverness,some of us dont spend that all at once,we buy when they need it.may it be summer,or winter
How many parents go off to Inverness during the holidays to kit out their kids with trainers, jackets, jeans, tops etc - I never hear them moaning about spending several hundred pounds on this. I am sure many kids have black trousers and black tops already. All a parent needs to buy is a couple of pairs of trousers, a couple of tops and a fleece - this does not equate to £100! And if the child is sensible they can change out of their uniform into their designer gear at 3.30, and I am sure the clothes will be fit to wear the next day - certainly the trousers should be. No-one needs to buy 5 trousers, 5 tops and 5 hoodys - you build up a supply gradually.
Some measures have to be taken against kids who do not wear it - they are just being awkward, and they must accept that rules in society must be obeyed - a lesson can be learnt at school. If it is to work it must be compulsory.

Elenna
29-May-07, 17:47
How many parents go off to Inverness during the holidays to kit out their kids with trainers, jackets, jeans, tops etc

I don't know, but I never have. I buy my children the clothes they need throughout the year, as they need them.

I am sure many kids have black trousers and black tops already.

Ummm...out of three kids, one has a pair of black trousers and a pair of black jeans, so I think you are making a big assumption there.

All a parent needs to buy is a couple of pairs of trousers, a couple of tops and a fleece - this does not equate to £100! And if the child is sensible they can change out of their uniform into their designer gear at 3.30, and I am sure the clothes will be fit to wear the next day - certainly the trousers should be. No-one needs to buy 5 trousers, 5 tops and 5 hoodys - you build up a supply gradually.

Yes, I agree that two or three sets of uniform is sufficient, however I don't know what size kids you are thinking of, or if you have seen a price list for the "required" clothes with the logo on. Two of my three children are adult size! So, for example, even keeping to budget styles, two pairs of trousers, two polo shirts, two sweatshirts, and a hoodie or fleece jacket...and I would add in shoes, too, as a good proportion of kids wont have suitable black shoes...will likely be something over £100.

But it's not compulsory, and it can't be made compulsory, so the kids are within their rights to choose, and any measures taken against them would be groundless and unfair.

rfr10
29-May-07, 18:19
By dress code I always thought of school uniform also the kids have no problem with wearing school uniform and I have no doubt they will adapt it to reflect their own personality

I have a positive attitude towards the school uniform and I do hope that it can be achieved those not wishing to follow it then that is their choice. The only problem that will then arise is some wearing it some not then it may fall by the wayside and this will then truly be a waste of money.

Dress code is defined as a set of rules specifying the correct manner of dress while on the premises of the institution (or specifying what manner of dress is prohibited)

Resource:
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=X&start=1&oi=define&q=http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn%3Fs%3Ddress+code&usg=AFrqEzfArrZ-tkILq4SjheMQns4kYjoQRA)

Can someone please tell me why dress code was given as a seperate option from school uniform on the questionnaire? Is it an admitted mistake or some other reason?

I think you will find that if you ask pupils what they think a dress code is, they will not say uniform. Under my knowledge, Wick High School has always had a dress code. We were told which clothes are acceptable and which are not- this is what a dress code is and not uniform. Or am I wrong?

Venture
29-May-07, 18:25
rfr10 Im sure I have seen you post things on here re being in the scouts. Surely you wear a uniform there...or is that a dress code to you too. You still havent answered my question earlier.

rfr10
29-May-07, 18:32
But it's not compulsory, and it can't be made compulsory, so the kids are within their rights to choose, and any measures taken against them would be groundless and unfair.

Exactly right.

Am I going to be seen as a horrible disrespectful person now just because I do not want to wear a uniform? Do people not like competition from younger people? Am I going to be hated by the PSA in school for not agreeing with their choice? I don't know.. However, if anyone chooses not to wear the uniform, I would hope than the school would not attempt to force them to wear it by denying their education or making any form of punishment. If I heard this happening to any pupil, I would not be happy and probably would inform education officials. I think it is a total disgrace to the school for them to send a child home because they do not wear the uniform as I have read has happened in some schools before. However, I very much doubt and would hope that this would not happen in Wick High School. Pupils should only be punished for bad behaviour.

rfr10
29-May-07, 18:35
rfr10 Im sure I have seen you post things on here re being in the scouts. Surely you wear a uniform there...or is that a dress code to you too. You still havent answered my question earlier.

Yes, we wear a uniform for about 10 minutes at the start of the night and 10 minutes at the end.

I have answered your question, or have I missed a different question?

Alice in Blunderland
29-May-07, 18:50
Dress code is defined as a set of rules specifying the correct manner of dress while on the premises of the institution (or specifying what manner of dress is prohibited)

Resource:
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=X&start=1&oi=define&q=http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn%3Fs%3Ddress+code&usg=AFrqEzfArrZ-tkILq4SjheMQns4kYjoQRA)

Under my knowledge, Wick High School has always had a dress code. We were told which clothes are acceptable and which are not- this is what a dress code is and not uniform. Or am I wrong?

How very true rfr10 Wick High has a dress code and has had for many years........

Now let me see when I often pass the school I find myself looking at jeans hanging half way down bottoms , thongs and lace peeking out of the tops of various girls ,who knows maybe even some boys trousers ,shoes which slip slop and slide on and off feet, low cut tops clearly showing an attempt at cleavage or a padded bra, jewellery that should carry a health warning, jeans with holes and tears in them that my granny would love to have patched, offensive brand names declaring what they have done on the beach, I could go on for a while yet . Some pupils have found the current dress code hard to follow. With hindsight maybe if they had followed the dress code more closely over the last few years the push would not have been so hard for a uniform.

I feel for those who do not want to comply but in life we all have to accept things and move on with it. I follow a dress code and wear a uniform at my work and accept it whether I agree or not its part of my working environment.

I see the point you are making rfr10 do not get me wrong . :D

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 18:54
So kids in Wick don’t want to conform
By wearing the new school uniform
There’s protest votes by the full truckload
Against this new uniform dress code

Now rfr10 has a big axe to grind
He’s rapidly going right out of his mind
Regarding the lack of a full consultation
The kids are about to have wild mutination

It seems that the process was flawed just a tad
And now there is uproar, it’s really quite bad
Mothers who can’t afford blazers and shoes
Now threaten rebellion in ones and in twos

The kids at the school are in shell suits and trainers
The wee smart cookies and the real no-brainers
The lassies have miniskirts short as a belt
Their makeup is thick, ‘Take it off!’ they get tellt

So school parent-teachers have told the Headmaster
Improved sense of dress is what we all are after
At least if they all look the same we’ll be clear
No trainer unfashionable bullying here

But wait just a minute, there’s logic within
Cos Wick has a problem with school discipline
If the school wants to lift its fine head once again
There’s a need for some smartness just now and again

In order to rise in the Scottish league table
The staff must make do with whatever they’re able
To get the kids working, behaving and learning
Before they go out in the world of work earning

Just think of the benefits, ‘stead of the price
The school’s reputation will rise in a trice
If kids are dressed smart there’s a chance they’ll play game
And the school will then once again have a proud name

So think on this idea, dress your kids smart
As you send them to school to learn English & art
It’s not just about loss of identity
It’s for your education improvements you see?

Alice in Blunderland
29-May-07, 18:55
Exactly right.

Am I going to be seen as a horrible disrespectful person now just because I do not want to wear a uniform? Do people not like competition from younger people? Am I going to be hated by the PSA in school for not agreeing with their choice? I don't know..

I would hope not you are entitled to your opinion and if you want to express it go ahead its a free society. We are all entitled to our opinions. On some people will agree on others not. :cool:

rfr10
29-May-07, 18:56
How very true rfr10 Wick High has a dress code and has had for many years........

Now let me see when I often pass the school I find myself looking at jeans hanging half way down bottoms , thongs and lace peeking out of the tops of various girls ,who knows maybe even some boys trousers ,shoes which slip slop and slide on and off feet, low cut tops clearly showing an attempt at cleavage or a padded bra, jewellery that should carry a health warning, jeans with holes and tears in them that my granny would love to have patched, offensive brand names declaring what they have done on the beach, I could go on for a while yet . Some pupils have found the current dress code hard to follow. With hindsight maybe if they had followed the dress code more closely over the last few years the push would not have been so hard for a uniform.

I feel for those who do not want to comply but in life we all have to accept things and move on with it. I follow a dress code and wear a uniform at my work and accept it whether I agree or not its part of my working environment.

I see the point you are making rfr10 do not get me wrong . :D

So.. all they really need to do is be more strict with their dress code. Teachers should be making pupils turn their tops inside out, if they are wearing football tops. Some do but others couldn't care less what pupils are wearing. if uniform was introuced, I'm sure some pupils will modify them to make them inappropriate.

sam
29-May-07, 18:58
My mate has 3 kids so it will be an expence for her & her hubby to kit their kids out with uniforms, but my other mate who has 4 kids and is a single parent reckons she will get a grant of £50 for each of her kids to kit them out.
why doesnt the government help everyone it seems unfair that a working family have to struggle to afford the uniforms for their kids when a single unemplyed parent can get all the help they need

rfr10
29-May-07, 19:01
So kids in Wick don’t want to conform
By wearing the new school uniform
There’s protest votes by the full truckload
Against this new uniform dress code

Now rfr10 has a big axe to grind
He’s rapidly going right out of his mind
Regarding the lack of a full consultation
The kids are about to have wild mutination

It seems that the process was flawed just a tad
And now there is uproar, it’s really quite bad
Mothers who can’t afford blazers and shoes
Now threaten rebellion in ones and in twos

The kids at the school are in shell suits and trainers
The wee smart cookies and the real no-brainers
The lassies have miniskirts short as a belt
Their makeup is thick, ‘Take it off!’ they get tellt

So school parent-teachers have told the Headmaster
Improved sense of dress is what we all are after
At least if they all look the same we’ll be clear
No trainer unfashionable bullying here

But wait just a minute, there’s logic within
Cos Wick has a problem with school discipline
If the school wants to lift its fine head once again
There’s a need for some smartness just now and again

In order to rise in the Scottish league table
The staff must make do with whatever they’re able
To get the kids working, behaving and learning
Before they go out in the world of work earning

Just think of the benefits, ‘stead of the price
The school’s reputation will rise in a trice
If kids are dressed smart there’s a chance they’ll play game
And the school will then once again have a proud name

So think on this idea, dress your kids smart
As you send them to school to learn English & art
It’s not just about loss of identity
It’s for your education improvements you see?

How did you manage to think that up!? :D :D

rfr10
29-May-07, 19:03
My mate has 3 kids so it will be an expence for her & her hubby to kit their kids out with uniforms, but my other mate who has 4 kids and is a single parent reckons she will get a grant of £50 for each of her kids to kit them out.
why doesnt the government help everyone it seems unfair that a working family have to struggle to afford the uniforms for their kids when a single unemplyed parent can get all the help they need

Hrm.. maybe something like the free school meals?

connieb19
29-May-07, 19:05
Hrm.. maybe something like the free school meals?
You're right there, they will be the best dressed ones.

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 19:06
How did you manage to think that up!?
It comes with being old ;)

rfr10
29-May-07, 19:07
It comes with being old ;)

Must have a very good imagination. :D

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 19:55
Doesn't seem fair, does it? Has the school made any suggestions about the expense or is it just left to the parents?

rfr10
29-May-07, 19:59
Doesn't seem fair, does it? Has the school made any suggestions about the expense or is it just left to the parents?
The letter says..

If the purchase of clothing causes any difficulties for you, please contact the school and we will do what we can to help. Families in receipt of income support, working families, tax credit, income based job seekers, allowanced or widowed mothers may be entitled to claim a clothing allowance.

rfr10
29-May-07, 21:53
I've just worked something else out with my fantastic consultation..
(should have asked me to consult the pupils about it.:Razz )

It seems that those who do not mind wearing the uniform are a majority, girls.

The majority of boys are not in favour of the uniform and the minority of girls are not in favour.

The minority of boys say they are ok with it but would prefer if they didn't have to wear it.

Few boys say they want the uniform.

Statistics will show that the majority of boys added with the minority of girls will give a greater number that the minority of boys and the majority of girls. This is what I have calculated any way. Therefore, this shows that the majority of the school say they either do not want a uniform or they are ok with it but would prefer not to.

Still working on it here. Finding out more information.

rfr10
29-May-07, 21:59
I have now also found out for a fact that many young people do not relate a dress code to uniform.

rainbow
29-May-07, 22:09
For all you critics out there I myself do not go to Inverness either to kit out my child before school returns - I buy as she needs throughout the year, however a large majority do have this annual trek. The outlay initially may seem alot, but I have a friend whose children attends a school down south where uniform is a must, and she says she saves a small fortune. And yes her kids attended Wick primarys before the sweatshirts were introduced so she knows what she is on about.
rfr10, you seem to have a cross to bear as you are anti - uniform, as stated previously you wear a scout uniform and a swimming club top - if you get a job are you going to argue with management that a uniform is inappropriate and a dress code to your likings should be okay.

rfr10
29-May-07, 22:13
For all you critics out there I myself do not go to Inverness either to kit out my child before school returns - I buy as she needs throughout the year, however a large majority do have this annual trek. The outlay initially may seem alot, but I have a friend whose children attends a school down south where uniform is a must, and she says she saves a small fortune. And yes her kids attended Wick primarys before the sweatshirts were introduced so she knows what she is on about.
rfr10, you seem to have a cross to bear as you are anti - uniform, as stated previously you wear a scout uniform and a swimming club top - if you get a job are you going to argue with management that a uniform is inappropriate and a dress code to your likings should be okay.

Hrm...

Maybe it's the fact that it's a school...Who associates school with something to be excited about and wear a uniform with the school badge on it saying woooohoo im wearing clothes to promote my school.. i don't like school but oh well I'll still pretend I'm excited about it.

I think it does tell you something. It may also tell you that many young people do not feel proud of their school. I don't know.

rangers1873
29-May-07, 22:15
with reference to the clothing grant allowance. if you get working tax credit and childs tax credit you dont get it. when it was just family credit we used to get the allowance ,but when they split it into 2 diffrent taxes it stopped even though we were still more or less getting the same money. the only way you get it is if you only recieve child tax credit and not working tax credit. or if you are on the dole. i have 2 kids and that is going to cost me well over 2 hundred quid. ill have to buy at least 2 pairs of trousers each ,2 jumpers or hoodys each 2-3 tshirts or polo shirts and 2 pairs of shoes each, shorts and t-shirts for gym ,new school bags. i cant expect my kids to wear the same clothes everyday.if i have to replace any items over the year it could be costing me anything from 200- 500 quid maybe more if the clothes dont last

rainbow
29-May-07, 22:31
ibrox1690 - check this out as you will get a clothing allowance if you are on the highest level of child tax credit and working tax credit - I stand corrected if I am wrong, but for some levels of award you will qualify for free school meals and a clothing grant.
rfr10 get a life, alot of kids today have no respect for adults or society and just like to moan about anything that they do not agree with, yes everyone is entitled to freedom of speech, but you do rabbit on abit for a teenager.

rfr10
29-May-07, 22:37
ibrox1690 - check this out as you will get a clothing allowance if you are on the highest level of child tax credit and working tax credit - I stand corrected if I am wrong, but for some levels of award you will qualify for free school meals and a clothing grant.
rfr10 get a life, alot of kids today have no respect for adults or society and just like to moan about anything that they do not agree with, yes everyone is entitled to freedom of speech, but you do rabbit on abit for a teenager.

I have to get a life because I am representing the views of a teenager!? I do have respect for adults but for people who have an absolutely negative and totally unacceptable attitude towards young people, that is what I detest. If some people had been understanding and not rude about things, I would probablty not have "rabbited" on. It's the fact that there is a negative attitude and some adults who think they are more important than everyone else and they rule. Young people don't count because they talk a load of rubbush. I think it is a total disgrace the attitude of some adults these days towards teenagers. If adults expect young people to listen and respect them then they should do the same for us. Everyone wants to get their point across but some people cannot accept that a teenager is disagreeing with them and they have to make a dramatic scene out of it and tear young people to pieces until they get what they want.

Right, let's end it right there and accept that the majority of pupils do not want a uniform. Now, whos going to try and get the last word in?

connieb19
29-May-07, 22:39
rfr10 get a life, alot of kids today have no respect for adults or society and just like to moan about anything that they do not agree with, yes everyone is entitled to freedom of speech, but you do rabbit on abit for a teenager.I was told in the rent office, which is where you claim the grant that
people on Working Tax cedit don't get the clothing allowance anymore, they get it if they receive Child Tax Credits which is what used to be income support, which means that it's only people who don't work who get it. As far as I know working people have never been able to claim for free school meals.

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 22:45
I have to get a life because I am representing the views of an oldie!? I do have respect for youngsters but for people who have an absolutely negative and totally unacceptable attitude towards old people, that is what I detest. If some people had been understanding and not rude about things, I would probablty not have "rabbited" on. It's the fact that there is a negative attitude and some kids who think they are more important than everyone else and they rule. Old people don't count because they talk a load of rubbish. I think it is a total disgrace the attitude of some kids these days towards pensioners. If kids expect older people to listen and respect them then they should do the same for us. Everyone wants to get their point across but some young people cannot accept that an oldie is disagreeing with them and they have to make a dramatic scene out of it and tear older people to pieces until they get what they want.

Right, let's end it right there and accept that the majority of pupils do not want a uniform. Now, whos going to try and get the last word in?
Does this modified version of your post count as the last word? If so can I have it please? (I'm only in my 40's so I'm not THAT old)

changilass
29-May-07, 22:50
Well turned round Tubthumper, it works both ways :lol:

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 22:52
Yeah. Wasn't trying to ridicule the loon though. As I said earlier, a bit of anger directed at something worthwhile ain't a bad thing... maybe there's a future leader lurking among us!

rfr10
29-May-07, 22:55
Does this modified version of your post count as the last word? If so can I have it please? (I'm only in my 40's so I'm not THAT old)
You are one of the people who I do not refer to as disrespectful towards young people.. but well.. if you think I'm disrespectful towards you then.. I'm sorry, I'm not meaning to be disrespectful towards any one.

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 23:02
You are one of the people who I do not refer to as disrespectful towards young people.. but well.. if you think I'm disrespectful towards you then.. I'm sorry, I'm not meaning to be disrespectful towards any one.
Sorry mate, I wasn't implying you were disrespectful to me! I'm big enough and old enough to cope.
Wouldn't mind trying a bit of, what was it, vile trollery?

rfr10
29-May-07, 23:02
Let me know when you've stopped fighting with each other. :D

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 23:04
Yeah, grow up you lot! :lol:

Marty McFly
29-May-07, 23:04

I really don't understand....I've asked my daughter about this (she is at WHS, and must be around your age), and says she and her palls are looking forward to wearing the new uniform.

That made me think it was a girl/boy thing, and maybe the lads resented a uniform more, but then she said the various high school football teams go off to matches very smartly dressed in trousers, shirts & tie in the school colours.

Thinking back to my school days, and I went to various schools further south, we were proud to wear the school uniform.

rfr10
29-May-07, 23:09
I really don't understand....I've asked my daughter about this (she is at WHS, and must be around your age), and says she and her palls are looking forward to wearing the new uniform.

That made me think it was a girl/boy thing, and maybe the lads resented a uniform more, but then she said the various high school football teams go off to matches very smartly dressed in trousers, shirts & tie in the school colours.

Thinking back to my school days, and I went to various schools further south, we were proud to wear the school uniform.

What year is she in exactly?

The rugby team represent the school when they are away at matches and therefore must wear the school badge or they will probably be put out the team. We don't really need to represent our school in our school as we are not there with other outside people.

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 23:12

I think it's as much to do with the consultation and the choice thing as the actual uniform.
Me? I reckon there's a time for wearing a uniform and being a component part of something bigger, and there's a time for being an individual, recognised as such amongst yer peer group.
Abram Maslow, anybody?

rfr10
29-May-07, 23:19
Can I add to my last post in saying..

If I was a way somewhere, representing the school such as at sports matches etc.. I would not refuse to wear the uniform..

Also..another strange thing.. It was my idea to get Highland Youth Voice representatives t-shirts with Highland Youth Voice written on them. We are working on this and trying to get t-shirts printed ASAP. I should also say that one of the points in these t-shirts was for reps to wear them to school to identify who the school's reps are and to promote youth voice. Does a school uniform now mean that this cannot happen?.. I expect so. Another argument against school uniform.

changilass
29-May-07, 23:23
Get a badge and you will still be visible

rfr10
29-May-07, 23:25
Get a badge and you will still be visible

We need t-shirts so they can be used when representing Youth Voice at meetings. We also want the tshirts to stand out and visible for people to read, including website address.

golach
29-May-07, 23:27
Maybe we can start the Highland Grumpies Voice - what shall we have in our manifesto? [lol]
Leave it with me MP....I will run up an agenda, can you think of any more who would like to join?

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 23:28

If I was a way somewhere, representing the school such as at sports matches etc.. I would not refuse to wear the uniform..

Also..another strange thing.. It was my idea to get Highland Youth Voice representatives t-shirts with Highland Youth Voice written on them. We are working on this and trying to get t-shirts printed ASAP. I should also say that one of the points in these t-shirts was for reps to wear them to school to identify who the school's reps are and to promote youth voice. Does a school uniform now mean that this cannot happen?.. I expect so. Another argument against school uniform.
Now this is where it gets confusing: Is it a uniform or a dress code? If a dress code, then I suspect that a pragmatic staff would permit the t-shirt for good reasons. If a uniform, then maybe not. However, if we're talking hoodies, polo shirts etc. as part of the 'casual' and 'self-selection' approach to uniform, then your t-shirt would probably be OK.
I can't figure out how it's 'Uniform' if everyone chooses differently. But I still maintain that it's a good idea in order to help improve the discipline aspect of the school. Properly and sensibly managed of course!

MadPict
29-May-07, 23:28
So you could not wear a small lapel badge to identify yourselves? (snap Changilass...;) )

You don't wish to wear a school uniform but you want to impose a "uniform" upon your "reps"? What happens if the dislike the colour of shirt you might pick. Will you force them to wear your uniform?

For what it is worth I think that school uniforms are a good thing. It removes the peer pressure to buy the latest trainers or outfits. Everyone wears the same and poorer kids will not be ridiculed for not being able to afford the latest team shirts or whatever the fad might be.

Have you asked other kids how THEY feel about uniforms? A school wide survey?

rfr10
29-May-07, 23:30
Now this is where it gets confusing: Is it a uniform or a dress code? If a dress code, then I suspect that a pragmatic staff would permit the t-shirt for good reasons. If a uniform, then maybe not. However, if we're talking hoodies, polo shirts etc. as part of the 'casual' and 'self-selection' approach to uniform, then your t-shirt would probably be OK.
I can't figure out how it's 'Uniform' if everyone chooses differently. But I still maintain that it's a good idea in order to help improve the discipline aspect of the school. Properly and sensibly managed of course!

Well the letter specificaly states that the dress code is all items of the school uniform so there's a mistake somewhere because uniform is different than a dress code.. ?

golach
29-May-07, 23:30

I have no objection RFR with you and your Highland Youth Voice programme....more power to you in that....but you and I will never agree on attitudes of children to adults

rfr10
29-May-07, 23:33
So you could not wear a small lapel badge to identify yourselves? (snap Changilass...;) )

You don't wish to wear a school uniform but you want to impose a "uniform" upon your "reps"? What happens if the dislike the colour of shirt you might pick. Will you force them to wear your uniform?

For what it is worth I think that school uniforms are a good thing. It removes the peer pressure to buy the latest trainers or outfits. Everyone wears the same and poorer kids will not be ridiculed for not being able to afford the latest team shirts or whatever the fad might be.

Have you asked other kids how THEY feel about uniforms? A school wide survey?

The Highland Youth Voice t-shirts will be designed by the Reps themselves. A badge would not work as we need certain things to be written on the tshirts which will not all fit in a badge unless it's a huge badge.

Somehow, I'm being told that pupils were consulted but not from what I can see. And someone has still not told me why the pupil council were said to have been in favour of the uniform when they were not.

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 23:34
I have no objection RFR with you and your Highland Youth Voice programme....more power to you in that....but you and I will never agree on attitudes of children to adults
How about in five years time...?

rfr10
29-May-07, 23:36

Thank you.
Well not many adults and children do agree most of the time anyway.

I just don't expect to be laughed at for my comments and views. I'm doing it for most young people and giving their views aswell but still, it all comes back at me personally by the looks of it.

Venture
29-May-07, 23:39
Ive only got one final thing to say to you rfr10 if you have put as much time and effort into studying for your exams as you have in posting on the school dress code thread then your results should be spectacular.

changilass
29-May-07, 23:39
RFR, you will find this always happens when in a position of responsibility, this is a good learning curve for you.

rfr10
29-May-07, 23:40
Ive only got one final thing to say to you rfr10 if you have put as much time and effort into studying for your exams as you have in posting on the school dress code thread then your results should be spectacular.

My exams are now all done and complete with effort put into them. That is why I am spending so much time on here.

golach
29-May-07, 23:42
Thank you.

I just don't expect to be laughed at for my comments and views. I'm doing it for most young people and giving their views aswell but still, it all comes back at me personally by the looks of it.
As Tubthumper said in an earlier post, you are not doing anything new...we were your age once, and we were rebels in our parents eyes...so we do feel for you, we have been there...but we are telling you, you will never win

rfr10
29-May-07, 23:42
RFR, you will find this always happens when in a position of responsibility, this is a good learning curve for you.
Ok. Fair enough. You're right.

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 23:44
Thank you.

I don't think anyone's laughing, mate. As for the personal thing, ask any politician, supervisor or football manager about sticking ones head above the parapet. Snipers are a terrible thing, however you can learn from the experience. For example, try not to be so reactive?
Also, back to young guys becoming old guys, even your detractors have your best interests at heart although it might not seem that way. We all applaud you for your efforts with the Youth Voice forum!

rfr10
29-May-07, 23:45
As Tubthumper said in an earlier post, you are not doing anything new...we were your age once, and we were rebels in our parents eyes...so we do feel for you, we have been there...but we are telling you, you will never win

Unfortionatly not. :confused I do expect us to have a strong, high priority say in matters that do affect us and expect them to be acted on as much as possible. If I had seen more consultation with pupils on the uniform, I probably wouldn't have minded so much in fact this is probably what is putting me totally against it now.

rfr10
29-May-07, 23:47
I don't think anyone's laughing, mate. As for the personal thing, ask any politician, supervisor or football manager about sticking ones head above the parapet. Snipers are a terrible thing, however you can learn from the experience. For example, try not to be so reactive?
Also, back to young guys becoming old guys, even your detractors have your best interests at heart although it might not seem that way. We all applaud you for your efforts with the Youth Voice forum!

If you want, I'll quote from two people who thought everything I said was halarious.

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 23:48
Unfortionatly not. :confused I do expect us to have a strong, high priority say in matters that do affect us and expect them to be acted on as much as possible. If I had seen more consultation with pupils on the uniform, I probably wouldn't have minded so much in fact this is probably what is putting me totally against it now.
Aye, but us old folks see so many of your peers who seem completely uninterested and downright snotty about everything. No wonder young folk's opinions generally get ignored. It must be pure hell for you trying to get them interested?

rfr10
29-May-07, 23:49
We all applaud you for your efforts with the Youth Voice forum!

Thanks for that.

Tubthumper
29-May-07, 23:50
If you want, I'll quote from two people who thought everything I said was halarious.
Nah, just leave it, rise above them all. Enough, I'm signing off now for beer then bed. Tata everyone!

rfr10
29-May-07, 23:53
Aye, but us old folks see so many of your peers who seem completely uninterested and downright snotty about everything. No wonder young folk's opinions generally get ignored. It must be pure hell for you trying to get them interested?

Well that's basically what Highland Youth Voice and all youth parliaments try to do is get matters across to decision makers. If any one is interested, visit http://www.highlandyouthvoice.org/whatwedo.asp to see what we actually do. I would greatly appreciate it if people did visit as it helps raise the awareness of Youth Voice.

whizblade
30-May-07, 00:09
Woah woah, someone said that the kids who don't have the latest "designer gear, or trainers" probably get bullied?!

I NEVER wear any branded clothes. Not because i want to be "different", but because i don't waste my money on things which are going to be outdated or outgrown. I just wear normal clothes which i keep clean but still look good. But i've never had a bad word said to me about my clothes. Never.
I don't even wear jeans!

So my point is, there is no peer pressure in WHS to "wear the correct clothes", as nobody cares what you're wearing. But yet i wouldn't feel comfortable wearing the same clothes as everyone else, as that destroys individualism.

MadPict
30-May-07, 00:28
whizblade,
That was me - I actually said "ridiculed" not bullied.

The DfES actually states -

Other parents said that they felt that a school uniform equalised standards of dress among pupils, limiting peer pressure to have the best clothes and consequently reducing bullying. Uniform also instilled a sense of identification, community and pride in schools among pupils.

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/pns/DisplayPN.cgi?pn_id=2003_0087

Also -

Many of you also agreed school uniforms reduce the problems of peer pressure with many readers being strident in their condemnation of how a no-uniform policy divided pupils into haves and have-nots.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/06/17/pollresult17.xml

So while you may not see it as an issue others do. You may like to express your individualism in your dress but you can do that when not at school.

You are supposed to be in school to learn, not make a fashion statement...;)

rfr10
30-May-07, 00:31
Think I'll take a break now and watch to see what is being said now.

whizblade
30-May-07, 00:35
Ridiculing someone for what they wear isn't that far away from bullying them.

And if you read my comment then you'll realise that i don't care for fashion. I'm at school to learn and work, but that doesn't mean i should be forced to wear something i do not want to. School is not something that teenagers or "bairns" can have a choice in whether or not they want to go to it.

MadPict
30-May-07, 00:44
No, it isn't today - years ago you could be laughed at without running to someone claiming bullying.

Like many things today it is frowned upon. But in a way it was character building and are kids today being wrapped up in bubblewrap to much?

Anyway, I wasn't getting at you - it was a collective "you" - all students in school.

And what can I say - I still remember the day when I could go to school in jeans for the first time!!!! :D

angela5
30-May-07, 09:43
with reference to the clothing grant allowance. if you get working tax credit and childs tax credit you dont get it.

Last year the Allowance was available to people who claimed WTC/CTC.

angela5
30-May-07, 09:55

A grant for £50 will not kit a child out in a school uniform. It's a help to anyone on benefits or low income but the total cost for kitting out 4 children has to be found somewhere.
To purchase the full uniform from Gunn's for 4 children will cost £497.88 and that is estimating the shoes at £30 a pair. Leaving the parent to find £297.88.
Your friends who both work and have 3 children for them to purchase the same from Gunn's will cost £397.44.

It's going to be a real struggle for anyone regardless.

angela5
30-May-07, 10:13
The rugby team represent the school when they are away at matches and therefore must wear the school badge or they will probably be put out the team.

I am yet to see a school pupil who represents the Rugby/Football team wearing the school badge when they are away at other schools.
They do wear black trousers and black shoes but they wear any colour of shirt/tie.

cluny
30-May-07, 10:33
From what i've read Gunns seems to be the most expensive place to purchase the whole school uniform, so shop around and i am sure you could keep the price down. School uniforms are not any more expensive than any other type of clothes we go out and buy our children for going to school. It just seems to me that you trying to make it difficult for yourselves and not looking to the positives of having school uniforms. If you can't afford to buy the blasers etc just get black trousers, white shirt and a black top, at least thats a compromise.

rfr10
30-May-07, 10:33
I am yet to see a school pupil who represents the Rugby/Football team wearing the school badge when they are away at other schools.
They do wear black trousers and black shoes but they wear any colour of shirt/tie.

Yes, I think your actually right. It's a shirt and tie they wear without a high school badge but I think they have tops which say Wick High School Rugby Team or someting along that lines written on it. I think the fact that people don't want to wear a uniform at school tells you something about the school. At the moment, I'm not totally clear what, but that's the only reason I can think of since I don't mind wearing uniform anywhere else.

The fact that businesses wear uniform is, well they are paid for their job. School is bad enough, never mind not getting paid. I still put my argument against it being the lack of consultation with pupils and the fact that a dress code and uniform is being refered to as the same thing. Anyway, wont start a huge argument about it again.

angela5
30-May-07, 10:51
It just seems to me that you trying to make it difficult for yourselves and not looking to the positives of having school unifoms

I am not making anything difficult i share the same concern as many other parents do. You say this is not going to be anymore expensive than buying clothes that we would have had to anyway. But it will end up being more expensive if we purchase a uniform and sadly it dwindles out as it's not being made complulsary.Then we need to spend more money getting jeans,trainers etc.
Again i will say i am all for the uniform it will be nice to see them all dressed similar. And i am fully aware of the positives.

changilass
30-May-07, 11:01
I think that they should have said that you have to wear say black trousers, white shirt, and black blazer ect and had a school tie and a badge which could be purchased, an sewn on.

This would still give some leeway whilst also making it easier for parents to shop round. The likes of tesco and asda sell all these things relatively cheap.

We had rules on how long skirts had to be, and the boys were told it had to be dress trousers. We were simply told black shoes and given a maximum height for heels.

The problem with debating this now is that the decision has already been made, and I don't see them reversing it.

rfr10
30-May-07, 11:03
I'll just wait to see what happens now after the holidays. I'll see how many people are wearing the uniform first and then, If the majority are, I suppose I'll just have to go along with that. But as long as other people don't mind wearing it then, fair enough with me. I'm not going to be awkward and be the only one not to follow the rules.

cluny
30-May-07, 11:20
As parents having to go out and buy school uniforms, shouldn't we be the ones telling our children what they will wear to school instead of expecting the school to be the ones that have to make it compulsary. Its only ourselves to blame if after afew weeks no ones wearing the school uniform and we are out buying them other clothes to wear.

rfr10
30-May-07, 11:23
As parents having to go out and buy school uniforms, shouldn't we be the ones telling our children what they will wear to school instead of expecting the school to be the ones that have to make it compulsary. Its only ourselves to blame if after afew weeks no ones wearing the school uniform and we are out buying them other clothes to wear.

Well that's what I think should happen. A simple dress code (As the majority of people wanted) would be fine enough but not to say no football tops, no revealing clothes, no inappropriate words on clothes/phrases. We weren't even allowed to wear FC UK tops at school. Now fair enough if there was a horrible phrase along with it but we shouldn't be forced not to wear clothes simply with FC UK written on them would be fine enough but not uniform.

angela5
30-May-07, 11:27

Well i certainly won't be blaming myself if after a few weeks i need to go out and purchase other clothing. I'll be blaming the school for not making this 'compulsary' in the first place.

rfr10
30-May-07, 11:28
Well i certainly won't be blaming myself if after a few weeks i need to go out and purchase other clothing. I'll be blaming the school for not making this 'compulsary' in the first place.

Or the law even..