PDA

View Full Version : Loneliness

Tyke
22-Dec-16, 14:44
Last Christmas and New Year I was on my own for the first time in a very long time. This year will be another festive period when again I will be on my own, the only difference being that I am working all the way through and will have the company of 35 dogs.

I came very close to throwing the towel last year.

I always wear my heart on my sleeve, but this year I know I am going to be fine.

In my own clumsy way I am trying to say that if you are alone, the kettle is always on, please drop in if you can get here. I don't have much but what I have I will share. If you know someone on their own drop by and see if they are okay. Lets make the festive season about trying to look out for the lonely and desperate.

To my old comrades who for whatever reasons are homeless, possibly suffering from PTSD and depression, keep the faith,
hopefully, this world of ours will wake up and learn to live with each other in harmony.
Enjoy your holidays, stay safe and hope that the terrorists of this abomination we call earth will take a rest as well.

My good wishes to you and yours.

Fran
22-Dec-16, 23:51
Last Christmas and New Year I was on my own for the first time in a very long time. This year will be another festive period when again I will be on my own, the only difference being that I am working all the way through and will have the company of 35 dogs.

I came very close to throwing the towel last year.

I always wear my heart on my sleeve, but this year I know I am going to be fine.

In my own clumsy way I am trying to say that if you are alone, the kettle is always on, please drop in if you can get here. I don't have much but what I have I will share. If you know someone on their own drop by and see if they are okay. Lets make the festive season about trying to look out for the lonely and desperate.

To my old comrades who for whatever reasons are homeless, possibly suffering from PTSD and depression, keep the faith,
hopefully, this world of ours will wake up and learn to live with each other in harmony.
Enjoy your holidays, stay safe and hope that the terrorists of this abomination we call earth will take a rest as well.

My good wishes to you and yours.

That is very kind of you. There are many lonely people here. Hope you all get together. Happy Christmas. Sometimes dogs are better company than humans!

Tyke
23-Dec-16, 15:52
Thanks Fran and thanks and to a group from Central Region offering support. They have organised for a chef to cook Christmas dinner for 25 ex veterans who are now living on their own or homeless. Marvellous work on their behalf and I am told they are growing in numbers as time goes by. All I can offer is an ear to listen and tea and biscuits, if my dogs haven't eaten them all.

As I have said I am working all the way through the holiday season and I am grateful for that. But the kettle is always on. Thanks to the local and very understanding Doctors at the Dunbeath Surgery I have come a long way in the last 12 months. Thanks to some very good friends who have there through the bad and good times, I am still here. It is not just young men women. who served in Afganistan, Syria and other areas of modern conflict who suffer from PTSD and depression. I know ex comrades from Northern Island and other quietly fought conflicts around the world, that nobody ever speaks of who have suffered for many years. I am going to take time this Christmas into maybe getting a support group going up here. Lastly for the first time I have received some good rep, very unusual for me.

Fran
24-Dec-16, 03:24
There is a SSAFA branch in wick, maybe we could help. Starting your group would be a great idea

The Horseman
24-Dec-16, 04:11
Thanks Fran and thanks and to a group from Central Region offering support. They have organised for a chef to cook Christmas dinner for 25 ex veterans who are now living on their own or homeless. Marvellous work on their behalf and I am told they are growing in numbers as time goes by. All I can offer is an ear to listen and tea and biscuits, if my dogs haven't eaten them all.

As I have said I am working all the way through the holiday season and I am grateful for that. But the kettle is always on. Thanks to the local and very understanding Doctors at the Dunbeath Surgery I have come a long way in the last 12 months. Thanks to some very good friends who have there through the bad and good times, I am still here. It is not just young men women. who served in Afganistan, Syria and other areas of modern conflict who suffer from PTSD and depression. I know ex comrades from Northern Island and other quietly fought conflicts around the world, that nobody ever speaks of who have suffered for many years. I am going to take time this Christmas into maybe getting a support group going up here. Lastly for the first time I have received some good rep, very unusual for me.

There is a SSAFA branch in wick, maybe we could help. Starting your group would be a great idea

Where is the REP thingy.

Kevin Milkins
24-Dec-16, 10:50
Where is the REP thingy.

Bottom left hand corner is a star to leave a rep, (good or bad) and a triangle to report a post you may consider unsuitable.

Tyke
24-Dec-16, 11:56
Thanks for all your support and private messages. I didn't intend that this should be an issue just about my PTSD and loneliness. It was about offering support to others and on Christmas and New year.
But thanks for all your kind words and obvious care that you want to share. Stay safe and help when and how you can.

Fran
28-Dec-16, 17:15
You didn't tell me if you were in the forces?

squidge
28-Dec-16, 22:38
If you are lonely, in distress or despair or feeling suicidal, please remember that you can phone Samaritans 24/7 and find someone to listen without judging. Their number is 116 123 and it is free.

There is also Breathing Space on tel: 0800 838 587 (tel:0800 838 587) they are open in the evenings until 2am and from Friday through to mondays 24 hours a day

Tyke
30-Dec-16, 15:03
You didn't tell me if you were in the forces?

I have been in the forces and also a policeman, but what I have been or done doesn't matter anymore, it's history. It's the here and now that is important and there are people out there who for whatever reason are suffering and alone. They are the people who need our support, a chat, a sympathetic ear, a warm cup of tea, whatever, whenever my door is open. Having been through a lot of crap in my life, experienced things that people wouldn't normally see, nor would they want to, yes it gets to me, yes I cry myself to sleep sometimes, yes I want to hide away from the world sometimes, but one thing I don't do is stop fighting for a better life.

Thankfully this year I have been run off my feet looking after the many dogs in the kennels and that has been a great distraction. I am lucky, the last year has been particularly rough and have spent weeks reliving ptsd situations, but, and I am keeping my fingers crossed I have come out of it in one piece. But it never goes away. I am not the only one and I was, am trying to offer some support.

Tyke
30-Dec-16, 15:12
If you are lonely, in distress or despair or feeling suicidal, please remember that you can phone Samaritans 24/7 and find someone to listen without judging. Their number is 116 123 and it is free.

There is also Breathing Space on tel: 0800 838 587 (tel:0800 838 587) they are open in the evenings until 2am and from Friday through to mondays 24 hours a day

Thanks for the info, but I have people that I can ring when things get really bad having recently contacted a few old colleagues who experienced similar things, and we can talk about these incidents. Things we could never talk about with anyone else.

CELTIC,CONNECTIONS
10-Jan-17, 00:26
No one should be lonely more so pur veterans whom have done so much for and endured a lot

some folk can just ignore people with a disability or some with a disfigurement or just stare

well i dont a great sying my mam said to me look deep enough you will find good in every one

caithness s home and home for many others whom find how welcoming we are

so help someone in need like our older generation no one shold be ignored or lonely

there are aways lonely folk in small communities especially older folk what would it take to say hi asked they need some help

you might find you enjoy the wealth of kowledge of our older folk i know i do

well all get old one day

no one should be lonely

Fran
13-Jan-17, 00:06
I just sent you a message and it's dissapeared.
i have been thinking of you.
Have you tried befrienders. They find one of their members who has same likes and interests to you and they come and visit. They also have meals out etc. All the members love it.
alsomSSAFFA are based in wick and we are here to help you.just contact us
have you thought of having an open day showing off your kennels?
hope you are keeping well and warm. I'm always available if you need a chat fran

Tyke
13-Jan-17, 10:30
Thanks very much Fran have sent a pm.