PDA

View Full Version : white building

katarina
01-Jun-05, 16:01
What is that large white building just outside Glengollie in Thurso?

neep___docker
01-Jun-05, 16:25
It's JGC Welding's 'decommissioning testing' building.

Another building built with a bung.

Some poor guy in Thurso was threatened with having to take down a treehouse in his garden, while this thing gets planning approval without a question asked.

Let's just hope it remains a white building and doesn't turn into a white elephant like several other new builds around the county.

Oh, for those who haven't seen it, there's a nice (?) picture on this website:

http://www.caithness.org/atoz/photogallery/photos.htm?3?80

Rheghead
01-Jun-05, 16:38
I think it is a monstrosity and a disgrace, just like the New Weigh Inn, out of character to the surrounding area.

At least the tree house was made out of natural materials and had a low visual impact on the surrounding buildings.

~~Tides~~
01-Jun-05, 17:42
Apparently the shed goes as far underground as it is tall. Is this true?

smee
01-Jun-05, 18:09
Apparently its only a temporary building and wont be there long, didn’t need planning permission as such….is this true??

marlyn
01-Jun-05, 20:24
Don't know that it goes quite that deep down, but I know that there was an industrial size JCB in the hole, and it looked pretty small down there, the hole is not the full size of the building maybe about a third.

neep___docker
01-Jun-05, 20:24
it's JGC Welding's 'decommissioning testing' building.

Actually, I must correct myself on this one. The true situation is slightly more interesting:

The building is infact owned by Highlands & Islands Enterprise.

It is then in turn leased by JGC Engineering (note: board member of Caithness & Sutherland Enterprise) who have the contract to manage the building and the testing that goes on in it.

The testing is, in layman's terms, to test how to pick things up that is dropped down the reactor shaft at Dounreay - hence the height and the hole.

As for its temporary status, don't bet on it. There's a slim chance that it may have use for other types of testing applications like this, and therefore will remain.

Zael
02-Jun-05, 09:57
Sounds like quite a unique facility, I can think of at least 10 people I'd like to "test" by dropping them into a deep hole :)

champagnebaby
02-Jun-05, 09:59
monstrosity and a disgrace, just like the New Weigh Inn, out of character to the surrounding area.

I don't think the New Weigh Inn's out of character, after all there are loads of houses behind it