PDA

View Full Version : pernicious anaemia

karia
12-May-07, 22:31
My dad has pernicious anaemia and is getting B12 injections every three months. He is currently 4 weeks away from his next jab but suffering all the effects of low B12, including loss of peripheral sensation. I see that GPs in the US & Australia, Europe etc. are giving monthly injections.

Anyone got any experience of this.or any advice?..all input welcome!

Shabbychic
13-May-07, 01:55
When I began B12 injections, I had them three monthly, but like your dad my symptoms returned before the next one was due. I went back to the doctor and told him and was then given them monthly.

I think they just start off three monthly and then adjust the dose to the individual needs.

I now take my B12 in daily tablets and this saves getting the injections.

karia
13-May-07, 12:23
Thanks Shabbychic! My dads GP is just refusing to consider anything more frequent , but since it obvously can be done, We'll keep on badgering him.:)

brokencross
13-May-07, 17:16
My dad had an intensive course of 4 injections over a couple of weeks then it was put out to 3 monthly

karia
13-May-07, 17:35
Hi brokencross,
Yes, that's what normally happens, however as with all conditions some folk have a worse dose of it than others and need either stronger medication or more frequent medication.
If the symptoms return before the three month period has ended Doctors in Europe, USA etc.(.and even Caithness, it would seem..thanks to Shabbychic!) will give injections monthly to prevent the neurological damage that B12 deficiency can cause, from occurring.
Hope your dad's feeling better, check with him to make sure his symptoms aren't reccuring towards the end of his 3 monthly 'fix'.
Karia.

Oddquine
13-May-07, 21:47
My dad has pernicious anaemia and is getting B12 injections every three months. He is currently 4 weeks away from his next jab but suffering all the effects of low B12, including loss of peripheral sensation. I see that GPs in the US & Australia, Europe etc. are giving monthly injections.

Anyone got any experience of this.or any advice?..all input welcome!

I had vitamin B12 injections for a three year period (turned out to be a side-effect of the 1970's pill, which eventually disappeared after I came off it).

I got them monthly from the start from 1969 to 1971. I wasn't aware that there was an option to get them three monthly.....for if I knew that, I'd have taken it because I'm injection phobic!

Looks as if it may be a method of reducing costs nowadays. :roll:

newlabeluk
20-Jun-07, 07:49
wouldn't have thought that taking B12 in tablet form was an alternative as the whole mess is caused by not absorbing B12 through the gut!:confused

Shabbychic
20-Jun-07, 17:07
I didn't realise oral B12 would work either but it actually does for me.

Here is a link to an article about it:

http://www.usask.ca/pharmacy-nutrition/services/read.php?id=1