PDA

View Full Version : anyone reared chicks?

emszxr
12-May-07, 18:29
hi. my hen that i thouht i had lost but was actally hidden somewhere on her eggs, was killed by a dog today. she had 11 chicks under her, not long hatched. and also 3 eggs that were still warm. i have the eggs in my stanley range cooker keeping warm, but i doubt they will come. and the chicks are in the kitchen in a box with a lamp for heat and i have mashed some boiled egg and put in some grinded chicken pellet food. they seem to be eating ok, but i so dont want to lose them. if anyone has any advice for me i would love to hear from you.
thanks in advance. emma

jacksonalimar
12-May-07, 18:55
hi there we have reared quite a few chicks. we usually give them chic crumb. obviously you wont be able to get hold of that till monday from clb or geddes. In the meantime crumle up some weetabix put in a bowl. make sure they have a small bowl of water and keep topping it up failing that try a bowl of porridge oats or crumled up digestives. but i would buy chic crumb asap.as they grow mix chic crumb with corn and pen them up some where safe to graze on the grass as they grow bigger. good luck i hope they survive. regards alison

fred
12-May-07, 19:28
hi. my hen that i thouht i had lost but was actally hidden somewhere on her eggs, was killed by a dog today. she had 11 chicks under her, not long hatched. and also 3 eggs that were still warm. i have the eggs in my stanley range cooker keeping warm, but i doubt they will come. and the chicks are in the kitchen in a box with a lamp for heat and i have mashed some boiled egg and put in some grinded chicken pellet food. they seem to be eating ok, but i so dont want to lose them. if anyone has any advice for me i would love to hear from you.
thanks in advance. emma

They'll do fine on the ground pellets for a while, I used to use a food blender thing to grind them. Be careful how you give them water, keep it very shallow and put a piece of stone in the middle of it.

It's very unlikely you'll rear 11 chicks without losing any you know, even hens don't manage it often, that's why they have so many to start with.

buggyracer
12-May-07, 20:35
i know absaloutly nothing about rearing chics but feeding them on mashed boiled eggs? Will that not turn them into canibles (sp).??? ;)

fred
12-May-07, 21:31
i know absaloutly nothing about rearing chics but feeding them on mashed boiled eggs? Will that not turn them into canibles (sp).??? ;)

The yolk of the egg is their food before they hatch and the white is only albumen with probably only one chicken cell in it.

emszxr
12-May-07, 21:48
here they are

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/6929/chickskf5.jpg

ks
12-May-07, 22:02
They are so cute, hope they do well, you will have to keep us all posted.

buggyracer
12-May-07, 22:22
The yolk of the egg is their food before they hatch and the white is only albumen with probably only one chicken cell in it.

well there you go then lol, still seems wrong lol.

WeeBurd
12-May-07, 22:44
Gorgeous, Ems, best of luck with them.:D

fred
12-May-07, 22:52
Keep the lamp for heat at one side of the box not in the middle.

They'll move along the box and find the right temperature for themselves.

stewart4364
13-May-07, 17:39
Hi,

I have incubated and reared quail, parrot types for some years now. I am willing to try and incubate you eggs -- I have an automatic turning and humidity control incubator. I am quuite happy to take all your chicks and put them in my brooder to rear on and then give them back to you when they are more self sufficient. I also have the necessary feeding stuff for them. If yoyu are intersted in my offer please pm.