PDA

View Full Version : Fishing

jings00
12-May-07, 15:25
heyho all. a pal o ma bros fae geordieland is thinkin about a wee visit up this neck o the woods (thurso) and was interested in goin out on a boat to do some fishin, as he is into the fishin thing. i know nothin about this, can anyone advise on what is on the go?? i have seen posters about the place but have never paid any attention.
thankin you all in advance :-)

NickInTheNorth
12-May-07, 15:39
take a look at www.mv-stormdrift2.co.uk

Davey Benson'll sort you

Bill Fernie
12-May-07, 15:49
More links here -
http://www.caithness.org/fishing/

jings00
13-May-07, 16:15
thank you very much, both. i will pass the info on.......
cheers

Solus
13-May-07, 20:21
Is it still as good for sea fishing as it was years ago, i used to do spend all my time on the rocks or out on a boat fishing and used to get decent catches and some good size fish.

The days of Willie Thornten, dougie paton, davie proudfoot, hamish holmes ( i think it was holmes) and a few others, but i am ashamed that i cant remember their names those were the days ! :) willies home brew winewas potent stuff.... but great on a winters day for keeping inner warmth

blondscot
13-May-07, 21:12
there are several boats that do sea fishing trips in thurso, the hebridean warrior can be booked at harpers fish and tackle shop, but they need to have several bookings(12 i think it is) afore they go on a trip as it not worth doing with any less! not sure what the other boats do but think they all have a minimum number, perhaps if your brother knew of someone with a small fishing boat that goes fishing you could arrange a trip with them!

NickInTheNorth
14-May-07, 08:59
Bill the only problem with the link you posted is that of the three links for fishing boats on there one (as far as I am aware) The Karen is no longer operating - maybe needs cleaned up the link goes to a blank page.

Stormdrift II (http://www.mv-stormdrift2.co.uk) was the one I linked to, because I know she still operates.

And the other link is a boat operating out of Wick - the request suggested the Thurso area :)

Bill Fernie
14-May-07, 09:21
Cleaned up the link to the Karen web site but you are correct they are no longer operating - photos etc left for nostalgia. Thanks for pointing out the broken link NickInTheNorth.

Are there no other boats available from Scrabster?

I will list any that are operating in Caithness on the fishng page.

SandTiger
14-May-07, 09:51
Hi

There are currently two charter vessels running out of Scrabster that are coded under the MCA to carry passengers. My vessel which has already been mentioned and the Hebredian Warrior which is run by Chris Bennett who can be contacted on 07989 473204. Chris is coded to carry up to 10 passengers and my vessel up to 12.

As we both run professional businesses with passenger safety being paramount and numerous overheads then there will always be a minimum amount before it is financially viable for us to take out our boats.

There is the occasional cowboy who will take people out to ‘cover fuel’ but don’t expect the safety equipment that is required for a coded vessel, insurance or a skipper that has the relevant skills to get you out of a jam should a problem occur.

Hope this helps :)

thebigman
20-May-07, 18:34
Is it still as good for sea fishing as it was years ago, i used to do spend all my time on the rocks or out on a boat fishing and used to get decent catches and some good size fish.

The days of Willie Thornten, dougie paton, davie proudfoot, hamish holmes ( i think it was holmes) and a few others, but i am ashamed that i cant remember their names those were the days ! :) willies home brew winewas potent stuff.... but great on a winters day for keeping inner warmth

Well I'm still here :-) Willie is off at the plant down south, Dougie still shore fishes and Hamish is still involved but mainly wi the admin side. Mostly boat fishing these days and just back from an excellent trip to Iceland.

Can still picture Willie trying to cycle home from the rocks after a dose of the homebrew :-)

Solus
20-May-07, 18:57
Davie ?

Aye i remember watching someone sitting at the rocks, falling over backwards into a rock pool after to much cabbage wine !!!! and the day i think it was willie went to wash his boots off in a burn after fishing loch calder and did a lovely slide up to his neck in water, 10/10 for artistic style !

I bumped into dougie at christmas time, willie been down south for a while now, dekkers ? is he still about ?

webmannie
22-May-07, 06:45
Solus, thebigman=Davie

bigjjuk
22-May-07, 08:18
So back to the fishing. Where is a good place to shore fish On Wick side and what is the best method. Staxigoe always looks good, but im kinda new to this so any info will be great.

jambo
22-May-07, 13:05
longberry or reiss beach are good places to fish.

thebigman
22-May-07, 20:30
As Jambo says Reiss and Longberry are worth a go. Reiss with lug and fishbaits on smallish hooks for flats and bass. Longberry big baits for cod, spinning for lythe and mackerel.

jambo
27-May-07, 22:40
plenty mackeral at longberry now caught 30 for just over an hours fishing tonight.ps when arriving at longberry there was about 25 mackies lying on the rocks whats the point catching them and leaving them.

SandTiger
28-May-07, 01:54
plenty mackeral at longberry now caught 30 for just over an hours fishing tonight.ps when arriving at longberry there was about 25 mackies lying on the rocks whats the point catching them and leaving them.

None at all really but the scorries will enjoy them - Whilst on the subject; Current thinking dictates that Mackerel will die after being handled. Apparently it's to do with the heat/oil of the anglers hands (where it has been touched can often be seen as a hand-mark on the fish's skin). This was also confirmed after a load of Mackerel where delivered to a Sea Life Centre after being handled after rod & line capture.

Even though only microscopically damaged, the mackerel's skin continues to break down with death inevitable within 30 hours.

Crushing the barbs on the hooks and shaking them off the hook will prevent the problem :)