PDA

View Full Version : Polish Peoples Houses

Mr_Me19
11-May-07, 14:55
Just to mention before I say anything else, I don't mean any disrespect to anyone Polish in this thread. I have Polish people next door and they are very nice people even though they don't speak english. What I want to know is what is the white tube that they have either on their windows or on their barge boards. I have seen it on 4 or 5 houses now and it is really starting to bug me. I tried some web searches but nothing came up. Any info is greatly appreciated. My cusiosity is killing me! Thanks!!

winnie
11-May-07, 21:58
leave them alone most of the polish are very nice people.i work with a few and they are ace

celtchicky
11-May-07, 22:06
dina fink u read at post proper winnie. it is a simple question from curiosity, they aint sayin anythin bad about the polish

wavy davy
11-May-07, 22:46
dina fink u read at post proper winnie. it is a simple question from curiosity, they aint sayin anythin bad about the polish

Good on ya Celtchicky - so what are these mystery tubes - any Polish Orgers out there?

karia
11-May-07, 23:08
I'm not sensing a positive outcome to this thread.

Polish people contributed enormously to this country during the last war!

Now we have the benefit of their wonderful culinary contributions...Enjoy!

Karia X

Moira
11-May-07, 23:13
Just to mention before I say anything else, I don't mean any disrespect to anyone Polish in this thread. I have Polish people next door and they are very nice people even though they don't speak english. What I want to know is what is the white tube that they have either on their windows or on their barge boards. I have seen it on 4 or 5 houses now and it is really starting to bug me. I tried some web searches but nothing came up. Any info is greatly appreciated. My cusiosity is killing me! Thanks!!

No disrespect to you Mr Me, but if it really bugs you that much, why don't you just ask your nice Polish neighbours what the white tube is for. I don't speak Polish - if I did I would offer to be your interpreter. Sign language usually works & most folks moving to Scotland understand the word "Hello". I've found too that a smile is the universal key of communication.

If you find out what the white tubes are for, please let us know - now I am intrigued too :)

North Rhins
11-May-07, 23:17
I'm not sensing a positive outcome to this thread.

Polish people contributed enormously to this country during the last war!

Now we have the benefit of their wonderful culinary contributions...Enjoy!

Karia X

Don’t people bother reading the thread. Someone asks an innocuous question and four posts later we are already at world war two!

karia
11-May-07, 23:17
If you are curious about any aspect of their culture,...ask them!
I'm sure you will find that they don't only speak polish...and would welcome any positive approaches from the community they find themselves in.
Give them a warm Caithness welcome,...or do yourselves a disservice!

Polish pastries....mmn! :)

Moira
11-May-07, 23:24
Don’t people bother reading the thread. Someone asks an innocuous question and four posts later we are already at world war two!

Yes NR - I did read the original post & the posts following - which is why I assume your response does not refer to my considered reply at Post 5 later..... ?

crayola
12-May-07, 00:40
I thought the OP was offering a service in the thread title. :lol:

Jeemag_USA
12-May-07, 00:55
Are the tubes horizontal or vertical?

Some houses in america mount tubes on them, sometimes people use horizontal tubes for having their newspapers or mail stuck into and some people mount vertical ones for putting flags in and also sometimes they are used for mounting temporary awnings, ones you can put up in summer and take down in winter.

But yeah I ammsure you could just ask them and say you were interested?

karia
12-May-07, 00:56
Oh, if only! I'd settle for a good dusting myself!:)
No polish required!

crayola
12-May-07, 02:01
They could start with my floors. My windows are filthy but I live on the third & fourth floors so they would need to be tall.

I have Polish friends but I know nothing about white tubes. :confused

DeHaviLand
12-May-07, 02:18
Yes NR - I did read the original post & the posts following - which is why I assume your response does not refer to my considered reply at Post 5 later..... ?

Hardly a considered reply after advising Mr Me to speak to his neighbours and ask them about the tube. He had already said they dont speak English, a fact that you acknowledged in your flippant remark about interpreting.

fandango
12-May-07, 02:27
mrme19, why do ye assume the white tubes are only a Polish thing...you say you see it on 4 or 5 other houses too. surely all o them arna polish.
if yer really curiousity is truly killing you, get out and knock on the other 4 or 5 doors. poor you, bugged by white tubes. i would howl laffin if they turned out to be a scots invention.

Moira
12-May-07, 03:01
Hardly a considered reply after advising Mr Me to speak to his neighbours and ask them about the tube. He had already said they dont speak English, a fact that you acknowledged in your flippant remark about interpreting.

Read my reply again DeHaviLand & try to grasp that we don't always need to speak the same language to understand each other. My reply was in no way intended to be flippant.

Mr_Me19
12-May-07, 12:52
Are the tubes horizontal or vertical?

Some houses in america mount tubes on them, sometimes people use horizontal tubes for having their newspapers or mail stuck into and some people mount vertical ones for putting flags in and also sometimes they are used for mounting temporary awnings, ones you can put up in summer and take down in winter.

But yeah I ammsure you could just ask them and say you were interested?

Great idea but they aren't quite long enough for a newspaper or magazine and the postie would have to have extremely long arms to reach the roof!! Lol. They are horizontal however. We have had contact with them occasionally using sign language but i don't think i will be able to understand the function of the white tube from that. However after being out in the back garden last night we heard a radio broadcast in Polish. Perhaps its a home made signal booster? If it is then well done to them for being able to do that without having to buy one!!!

Jeemag_USA
12-May-07, 13:04
Great idea but they aren't quite long enough for a newspaper or magazine and the postie would have to have extremely long arms to reach the roof!! Lol. They are horizontal however. We have had contact with them occasionally using sign language but i don't think i will be able to understand the function of the white tube from that. However after being out in the back garden last night we heard a radio broadcast in Polish. Perhaps its a home made signal booster? If it is then well done to them for being able to do that without having to buy one!!!

You can listen to any radio station in the world from a PC, so that might not be it. I listen to a rock show online in Serbia from time to time because they played the Howlin Gaels on it. I didn't know they were on the roof, you didn't say that. What size exactly are they, length breadth width etc and are there any wires or any other objects protruding from them?

Mr_Me19
12-May-07, 14:16
I did think of the internet for radio but perhaps they don't have/can't afford a computer? Barge boards go around the edge of the roof. I believe they are called sofits in america? I should of been clearer. The tube is about 8cm in diameter and about 30cm in length. A wire comes from it and goes into the house through the window.

NickInTheNorth
12-May-07, 14:33
It sounds a little bit like the infamous "pringles tube" wireless network booster

Mr_Me19
12-May-07, 16:52
I think you are right. Judging by the supports for it, it looks very similar to some that can be bought on the internet. Thanks!!!

sharon
12-May-07, 20:02
why dont you search for a free translation site and type what you want to ask about the pipe and print it off, it could be a way of communicating with your neighbours! :roll: