PDA

View Full Version : Freemasons: what are they really all about?

The Pepsi Challenge
31-May-05, 15:32
I've always been suspicious of any organisation that isn't visible. What's everyone else's thoughts?

champagnebaby
31-May-05, 15:55
I've always, always wanted to know what they're about. What goes on? what they do? What's their beliefs?

I got a book out the library years ago but it didn't give me much info - couldna make much of it at all.

I'd like to know what they've got to be so secretive about. :eyes

I was going out with a guy once who was mason and he'd only just joined, one night he went to the toilet and i found a book down the back of his bed filled with poems and things, i guess it must be like their bible or something??? Anyway when he came back and caught me flicking thorugh it he went off the head at me! I asked him what it was for and he said he had to learn verses of it every week and recite them at meetings but wouldna tell me anything else.

Smee2
31-May-05, 16:03
The Masons are quite visible, everybody knows they exist! :roll:

~~Tides~~
31-May-05, 16:57
One word: Drink [lol]

bandite
31-May-05, 17:41
The masons in caithness act in strange ways in there actions again there own .I know of one who was blackballed out of one lodge and then walked into another.

champagnebaby
31-May-05, 18:56
Hardly invisible, a quick internet search:
http://www.grandlodgescotland.com/
one of many websites

Phill

Ahhh interesting - cheers Phill

Whitewater
31-May-05, 20:57
If you think Freemasonary is odd take a look at this website:-

Order Of Illuminati, Illuminati Conspiracy, Illuminati World Order, or go for

P2 Lodge

(Sorry I must find out how to enter the web link)

Also for you intrest take a close look at an American dollar bill

fred
31-May-05, 21:47
I've always, always wanted to know what they're about. What goes on? what they do? What's their beliefs?

It's complicated because the Masons are a combination of two completely different organisations.

The original Freemasons were a Friendly Society and Trade Guild. In the days before insurance companies groups of people would band together and agree to help each other out in times of trouble. If one member died young the other members would club together and provide for his widow and children, that sort of thing. People who worked as masons grouped together to form the Freemasons.

In the 1300s the Freemasons were dying out while another organisation, the Knights Templars, was becoming very rich and powerful. The Knights Templars were the original international bank and travel agents all rolled into one. At that time all the rich people thought it was their duty to go on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem and the Knights Templars would protect them on their journey and look after their valuables while they were away. They took care of everything, they even invented travellers cheques so people didn't have to carry valuables on the hazardous journey. The Thomas Cook of their day.

Then the Knights Templars were outlawed, they had lent money to the King of France which he couldn't repay so instead he arranged for them to be declared heretics, then he not only didn't have to repay the debt but he could sieze any of the rest of their money he could get his hands on as well.

Many of the Knights Templars were killed but they were a large international organisation spread over Europe and the Middle East so many more survived. They were an organisation without a home at the same time as the Freemasons had all the facilities for an organisation, meeting rooms and everything but very few members so the Knights Templars all joined the Freemasons and basically just took over.

As for their beliefs, the nearest to it today would be the Jewish religion, the bible without the New Testament, the original Knights Templars spent a lot of time in Jerusalem.They also dabbled a lot in what would be called Black Magic today as well, it was considered to be more like scientific research at the time, so it would have been a combination of the two.

As for today, while they have retained some of the ritualism and the secrecy of the Knights Templars I believe it is the Friendly Society part which has come to the fore and I think they are basically just a group of people who agree to help each other out where they can. A you scratch my back I'll scratch yours society.

Well that's about it, not exactly what happened I wouldn't think, it would have been a lot more complicated than that and I doubt anyone actually knows the truth of it all but that's the gist of it and should give you an idea.

champagnebaby
01-Jun-05, 05:02
That's well explained Fred, cheers. You've just explained it in a nice clear manner that's easy to understand :D

Know any of their secrets?? :lol: :evil

fred
01-Jun-05, 10:08
That's well explained Fred, cheers. You've just explained it in a nice clear manner that's easy to understand :D

Know any of their secrets?? :lol: :evil

If I did they wouldn't be secrets.

Their basic beliefs seem to be that if everyone helps each other instead of working against each other then everone is a winner and that so long as everyone believes that there is an
all seeing omnipotent being there aint much point in killing each other over what we call him.

Not so much secrets as plain old common sense as far as I'm concerned.

DrSzin
01-Jun-05, 11:00
Their basic beliefs seem to be that if everyone helps each other instead of working against each other then everone is a winner and that so long as everyone believes that there is an
all seeing omnipotent being there aint much point in killing each other over what we call him.

Not so much secrets as plain old common sense as far as I'm concerned.
Well, at least you didn't put the phrases all seeing omnipotent being and common sense in the same sentence. :roll:

There is a lodge at the other end of my street and I occasionally pass the time of day with some of the members and/or overhear their conversations. They all seem like decent everyday folk, but there's not a spark of anything that would attract me to them.

God, poetry, ceremony, formal dress at (some) events, doing things out of obscure historical tradition, together with the infamous secrecy and an ever-so-slightly smug chumminess between men -- is there much else on this planet that could put me off more? Not a lot!

My mother used to call them "the little boys club". Perhaps that's a little unfair. I think they could be described as "mostly harmless" or, even better, as "boring". Various people have tried to convince me to join over the years, and my father has spent hours telling me about them, what they do, what they stand for, how decent they are, and what they do for charity. I have little or nothing against them but there is no way I would be interested in being involved.

Each to his or her own -- I would join the Tory Party before the masons. At least the Tories have an intellectual wing of sorts. (I've just noticed Frank Ward logged on, so, in order to restore some balance, I should perhaps also say that I would join the SSP in preference to the masons!)

I hope this doesn't offend any masons that may be reading this. No offence is intended -- I just don't have the slightest interest in them other than occasionally trying to figure out why others find them at all interesting or intriguing. :lol:

Whitewater
01-Jun-05, 14:15
DrSzin, did it ever occur to you that perhaps you may need to be a freemason to join either the tories or SSP ;)

golach
01-Jun-05, 22:17
Pepsi I think you are Trolling and see what you agreed to

"Trolling"
This describes various practices including, starting a thread with a view to raising the tempers of others, bringing back to the top old threads that have died out naturally with a pointless quip, needling other members into a pointless argument. Accusations of trolling will be based on our own view of posts and the initial reaction by our members. Members will be warned if their actions are considered to be trolling and extreme cases will receive a 1 week suspension.

Im no biting [disgust]

Rheghead
01-Jun-05, 22:42
As far as I understand it, to become a member of the Freemasons you have got to make the first move to be a member, contrary to the common belief that you have got to be invited. I know it is a private society rather than a secret society, no Freemason will deny he is one, in fact they will openly admit that they are one and tell you what they are all about. Only the signs and passwords are secret, the rest is open to public scrutiny. Their philosophy is comradeship and philanthropy, two qualities that seem to be lacking in today's society. I know I could have joined the Freemasons if I really wanted to in the past, I am of good moral standing, I believe in the Crown and Constitution and I can have a good night out if I put my mind to it. The problem is that I don't know anyone in the masons to ask now, but I am getting to think it might be a good organisation to join. My wife's family members are Freemasons and I have Freemason friends doon the line.

I joined The Royal Antidiluvian Order of Buffaloes when I was in my early Twenties, I was told that it was a 'Poor Man's Freemasons', I enjoyed the nights out and the ceremonies but lost touch when I moved town.

All these societies have their roots in the days when the welfare state was unthought of. In those days, tradesmen teamed up into lodges to look after theirselves and support eachother in bad times but the benevolence got ritualised through phoney legends, eg the Templar connection. There is no real historical connection or continuity from the Templar days it is all myth but just good fun all the same.

Whitewater
01-Jun-05, 22:55
Take a look in Caithness org there is a good article on Lodge St Fergus (Wick)

squidge
02-Jun-05, 00:06
Pepsi I think you are Trolling and see what you agreed to

Im no biting [disgust]

Golach - i think this is an interesting thread. Why would it be trolling?

champagnebaby
02-Jun-05, 00:18
i think it's interesting too, dunno why i never thought o posting it on here before

The Angel Of Death
02-Jun-05, 12:19
Golach - i think this is an interesting thread. Why would it be trolling?

Because ultimately its revolving around football check out the other threads on Celtic football club that Pepsi posted and how everyone picks on them and all rangers supporters are not dignified in winning or defeat (which neither fans have and that's coming from a rangers supporter as well) they have had a thing about the referee being masons and its all a big conspiracy with everyone out to pick on them and its never there fault always someone else's etc

In short the toys are well out the pram and the sour grapes are not tasting nice and there still hurting about throwing away the title so someone has to be at fault (and no its not themselves)

Maybe it was the tooth fairy

squidge
02-Jun-05, 13:41
Oh please no

Not a football explanation!!!!

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh

Over my head but im finding out about the masons and thats quite interesting

The Pepsi Challenge
03-Jun-05, 11:48
Lots of interesting, and informative posts, there. Thanks.

I've been reading The Brotherhood by Stephen Knight recently (who mysteriously died after exposing the secrets of freemasonry).

My problem with them is nothing to do with religion; my problem is that if a judge is a mason, and someone comes before him who is a mason, then the judge (who is a freemason first and foremost) is obligated to help that man. Isn't there something deeply wrong with that? Plus the fact they have some freaky religious beliefs on the higher ranks.

Don't let anyone tell you freemasonry isnt a religion 'cause it is - they worship "the grand architect." Most low level masons dont really know much about this and just take it as "god" however, when you reach the higher ranks you find out his real name: Jahbulon.

fred
03-Jun-05, 18:40
Lots of interesting, and informative posts, there. Thanks.

I've been reading The Brotherhood by Stephen Knight recently (who mysteriously died after exposing the secrets of freemasonry).

My problem with them is nothing to do with religion; my problem is that if a judge is a mason, and someone comes before him who is a mason, then the judge (who is a freemason first and foremost) is obligated to help that man. Isn't there something deeply wrong with that? Plus the fact they have some freaky religious beliefs on the higher ranks.

Crippen was a Freemason as was the Judge at his trial, they hung him.

Don't let anyone tell you freemasonry isnt a religion 'cause it is - they worship "the grand architect." Most low level masons dont really know much about this and just take it as "god" however, when you reach the higher ranks you find out his real name: Jahbulon.

Jahbulon just represents the word "God" in three different languages. The Hebrew name, Jehovah, is represented by the "Jah".

zapper
04-Jun-05, 11:23
Ok where does the Goat fit in with all of this :evil

lassieinfife
04-Jun-05, 11:46
and the Goat? always wondered about that :eek: :confused

scotsboy
04-Jun-05, 11:52
http://www.masonicinfo.com/thegoat.htm

2little2late
04-Jun-05, 15:32
I always thought a freemason was some one who engraved headstones free of charge.

Whitewater
06-Jun-05, 11:32
You always see the goat when you look in the mirror ;)

cliffhbuber
10-Jun-05, 16:01
A fine daze to all! :roll:

For those interested in both the Sinclairs, Masonry, and Knights Templar, one might appreciate the site on, "Knights Templar, Henry "the Holy" St. Clair" by Niven Sinclair, an authority on Sinclair family history.

The site is: http://www.electricscotland.com/history/kt11.htm

Just to throw out a few tempting tidbits....
"The Sinclairs had been members of the Knights Templar ever since its founding in 1118. Were these Templars following the Catholic faith? They were!...
"The Scots won the battle, largely due to the intervention of the Knights Templar on the side of King Robert the Bruce, assisted by Sir William Sinclair and his two sons, William and Henry.......
"In appreciation of the role played by the Templars at the Battle of Bannockburn, and in an effort to disguise the presence of the Templars within his kingdom, he (Robert the Bruce) created the Royal Sovereign Order of Scotland. Robert the Bruce also appointed William Sinclair as the Grand Master of the Crafts and Guilds of Scotland."

Enjoy!

lassieinfife
10-Jun-05, 19:07
I only see wee round lassie when i look in the mirror....... maybe its hiding behind me [lol] :eek:

sids
11-Jun-05, 23:59
Anybody remember the Mackay's Hotel, nanny and billy goat in evening dress and a new Mini Cooper?

katarina
12-Jun-05, 19:35
My brother joined it just because he was so curious about why it was so secretive. then all he would tell us was that the reason they wouldn't tell anything, was that there was absolutely nothing to tell!