PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Poles

karia
10-May-07, 19:21
OH and I are hoping to have a wee holiday in about a months time.Spending some time in Caithness/Sutherland and some time in Perthshire.
Our holidays usually involve a fair bit of walking( to counter the eating and drinking, which we also like to do!):D
I am thinking of using hiking Poles this time, however I'm not certain that they won't just get in my way.
Anyone used them? Help or hinderance?
Thanks, Karia.

stratman
10-May-07, 20:11
OH and I are hoping to have a wee holiday in about a months time.Spending some time in Caithness/Sutherland and some time in Perthshire.
Our holidays usually involve a fair bit of walking( to counter the eating and drinking, which we also like to do!):D
I am thinking of using hiking Poles this time, however I'm not certain that they won't just get in my way.
Anyone used them? Help or hinderance?
Thanks, Karia.

I used to use sprung versions when carrying a heavy pack or endurance walking. Great for that as they helped take some of the strain but for shorter leisurely walks I would consider them a hindrance.
Hope that helps.

karia
10-May-07, 20:19
Thanks stratman,
I thought they might be useful for leverage and stability on hilly ground.
My balance is truly shocking!:roll:

Errogie
10-May-07, 20:48
They really come into their own for hill walking and on rough ground with a heavy pack and for crossing streams they can make a real difference. I've used them for some 5 years and hope to prolong the knee joints accordingly.

Two are definitely better than just one and you can even sometimes strap a spinning reel onto one with a hole drilled in the end cup for the line. I've caught a lot of trout with this combination and of course outwardly just apear to game keepers and landowners like another aimless rambler.

jimbews
10-May-07, 20:50
I used to use sprung versions when carrying a heavy pack or endurance walking. Great for that as they helped take some of the strain but for shorter leisurely walks I would consider them a hindrance.
Hope that helps.

I agree, but suggest that you make sure that the locking mechanism to adjust pole length is the modern version - it takes more turns to lock, but gives a better lock and is less likely to wear out.

Great for uphill or downhill (as long as you adjust the length), but I would agree that use on good, level, tracks is a bit of a hindrance. But some people like them, and it is said that they drastically reduce stress on knees, etc.
Also very helpful when crossing stepping stones in streams.

JimBews

jimbews
10-May-07, 20:55
Also very helpful when crossing stepping stones in streams.

JimBews

Afterthought: consider getting one which is the photographic version. The handle screws off so that a camera can be fitted. Used as a monopod it makes quite a difference to telephoto shots. Gven suitable ground it can be stuck in the ground so allow shots with the self-timer.

JimBews

karia
10-May-07, 20:57
Thanks Errogie,
I snapped my kneecap in half some years ago, and that's where I'm feeling
the strain now.
Don't want more strain.. so will try the poles!

As to your fishing practices..I couldn't possibly comment!:)

karia
10-May-07, 21:03
Thanks Jimbews!
How will i know a 'modern version'?
karia x

jimbews
10-May-07, 21:31
How will i know a 'modern version'?

I haven't looked at them for a few years, but on our Leki poles the good ones are labelled "Easy Lock".

Perhaps all the older styles have disappeared.

If you open up our Lekis (which is a good idea after wet walks) the plastic expanding grips are both on a screw system, but the easy lock ones have a screw head above the plastic.

Other test is that the older type only take about half a turn to go from adjustable to locked. The new type may take several turns. Because it's on a finer thread it is easy to get a much stronger lock.

I've certainly had problems with the older style if it is used in front of me to act as a brake when descending. Rather disconcerting if it decides to suddenly shorten itself. Replies suggesting excessive weight on the poles will NOT be appreciated :confused

JimBews

karia
10-May-07, 21:51
Thanks to all for your views, most informative!
Kxx