PDA

View Full Version : Needing glasses

Solus
10-May-07, 19:13
Tested the old eyes today and it seems i now need glasses !!!! £400, not cheap are they !!!! been getting head aches for ages now and seems that why.

old age dont come alone do it, next i will be buying a BWM motorbike:eek:

NickInTheNorth
10-May-07, 19:19
If you haven't already bought them don't!

Take a look at www.39dollarglasses.com you'll probably pay between £100 and £150 for the same sort of glasses lenses etc.

The prices opticians charge for glasses is obscene.

Fluff
10-May-07, 19:21
I take it you need varifocals then.

shop around but rememebr the cheaper they are the lower quailty the varifocals will be.

if you dont want to spend that much you could always have one pair reading one pair distance. boots are doing a buy one get one free at the moment.

personally i would not buy of the internet. would not trust it to be right etc..

let us know what you decide to do

quirbal
10-May-07, 19:23
Yeah, I'd probably agree. I wouldn't buy them off the internet.

bothyman
10-May-07, 19:25
Someone on here bought some off the internet I believe??

I think it was from here (http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/release_000/) with no problems.

NickInTheNorth
10-May-07, 19:27
I've been buying them off the internet for 6 years. No problems whatsoever. The site I mentioned is US based, but there are several UK ones too, for example www.spex4less.co.uk generally they offer money back guarantees.

Boots doing a buy one get one free just now - doesn't that just illustrate the fact that glasses in the UK are vastly overpriced? Most high street opticians do some dort of bogof most of the time. Clearly therefore the true price of the glasses is less than half that being charged. Why can't they be more honest?

quirbal
10-May-07, 19:28
You should have gone to Specsavers.:)

Angela
10-May-07, 19:30
I've had varifocals (well, sort of, they're only for close & medium, not distance) for the last six years, and so far got away without needing to change my prescription. They were expensive, although the spare pair were cheaper....but taken over six years I don't think it was too much to pay to take care of my eyes.

I know I'll need something a bit stronger now though... but have been delaying going to the optician...however, I will be going, I wouldn't buy off the internet. I'll try to get the spare pair free this time though if I can ;)

Solus
10-May-07, 19:31
yup its varifocal thingys, frames are expensive,
i really dont fancy buying off the net, not for glasses, might not fit right or feel right, i tried on heaps today, some made me look like my father, some like my grandfather and one pair made me look like joe 90 !!

I just bite the bullet and went ahead with it, from what i was told they are a decent pair of lenses, ! So Fluff you are right , and i am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

:(

golach
10-May-07, 19:35
Tested the old eyes today and it seems i now need glasses !!!! £400, not cheap are they !!!! been getting head aches for ages now and seems that why.

I too wear variable lenses,mine cost £300 for the lenses alone, go on holiday to Cyprus and get your eyes tested and your glasses made there.....by far the cheapest option, and you get a sunny holiday also :)

percy toboggan
10-May-07, 19:40
....some made me look like my father, some like my grandfather and one pair made me look like joe 90 !!....

I look more like my Dad now than I look like myself! with or without specs. I had to have 'em sixish years ago for reading and now (really) for watching telly. Don't lose them, sit on them or forget why you have gone upstairs to get them.

Actually there is no avoiding any of the above sooner or later. :confused :)

cuddlepop
10-May-07, 19:50
With me its the lenses that are so expensive.My eye sight is so bad that unless i bought the more expensive thin lenses and put a coating on them my glasses would look like they had milk bottle tops for lenses:lol:
Having to replace them so need to save up.Decisions,decisions a holiday or new glasses:eek:

Fluff
10-May-07, 19:58
i have to admit, i have sympathy for people with high presciptions. over +/- 10 you get help from the NHS (not much though) but more people more than a +/- 3.00 or a high asitgmatism need thinner lenses. the cost can really start to creep up

NickInTheNorth
10-May-07, 20:00
1.67 Thin Varifocal + Antireflective £145 :)

NickInTheNorth
10-May-07, 20:02
Fluff, hope you don't mind me asking, are you an optician? Just interested.

Fluff
10-May-07, 20:10
of course i dont mind you asking. i am an optical assistant at boots. 'tis a good job. stressful, but good lol

NickInTheNorth
10-May-07, 20:16
I guessed :D

And I agree a good - and worthwhile job.

You made the comment earlier that:

the cheaper they are the lower quailty the varifocals will be

Would you take a look at this page and tell me if the products listed are of lower quality than you would get in the UK high street.

http://www.39dollarglasses.com/product_info/about_our_lenses.html

Solus
10-May-07, 20:32
Golach, mine were £265 for the lenses, she did say if it had been other frames it may have been £ 285.
Might try the holiday route this summer and see how much it works out at, no way am i buying a second pair at that price !!

halkirk1
10-May-07, 20:34
I've bought 4 pairs of glasses in the past year from www.glassesdirect.co.uk

Their level of service is fantastic.

The glasses are so cheap that I have a couple rimmed glasses for work (£15 each) and 2 pairs of rimless (£45 each) for home.

Spend some time reading this chaps website and you will see just how much you are getting stung by the high street opticians.

Remember, all eye tests in Scotland are free now. All you need to buy your glasses from glasses direct is your prescription.

Delivery is usually 4-5 days.

I can't recommend them enough.

Fluff
10-May-07, 21:38
nick, at the moment i have not learned how to dispence varifocals so i would not know the difference. hopeing to learn this year though (then will regret it the rest of my life lol)

johno
10-May-07, 21:51
i always go to the optitian,was Jerry Obrien, i only need them for reading smaller print ,ok for distance. i bought polycarbon lenses frameless last time, they are fine and light hardly know your wearing them. :eek:
expensive, yes but worth it

karia
10-May-07, 21:59
Four years ago I was examined, at the hospital eye clinic & given a prescription for glasses.

Two years later, and having done nothing about it, i was told I had perfect
20/20 vision.

If I'd bought and worn the glasses,...where would my vision be now?

oldmarine
11-May-07, 00:21
Four years ago I was examined, at the hospital eye clinic & given a prescription for glasses.

Two years later, and having done nothing about it, i was told I had perfect
20/20 vision.

If I'd bought and worn the glasses,...where would my vision be now?

Perhaps it would help to get a second opinion.

Nick does present a good argument for getting glasses at a lower price.

I shopped around for my glasses and found a price that I could afford.

Fran
11-May-07, 01:48

solus, can you get help with payment for your glasses on low income,benefits or because you are on certain tablets eg thyroxine, you would get them free.

Solus
11-May-07, 01:51
Fraid not fran, flexable friend to the rescue !

NickInTheNorth
11-May-07, 07:29
Solus, take a look at the spex4less.co.uk you have absolutely nothing to lose - the guarantee is quite amazing! They are a good genuine British optician. But with honest prices.

If a company can afford to give you 2 pairs for the price of one pair, and still stay in business doesn't that tell you a lot about the price they are charging...

Penelope Pitstop
11-May-07, 09:27
i always go to the optitian,was Jerry Obrien, i only need them for reading smaller print ,ok for distance. i bought polycarbon lenses frameless last time, they are fine and light hardly know your wearing them. :eek:
expensive, yes but worth it
Jerry O'Brien has retired now....shame, he was very good. His place has been bought over by one of the chains. Wasn't impressed when I went.