PDA

View Full Version : what kind of tree to plant?

brandy
10-May-07, 11:34
hiya guys, i was planning on planting a tree in memory of tom.
i was trying to figure out what to plant though.
we live in wick in the town. our garden is pretty protected but not completley from the wind.
i was thinking a fruit tree, that would flower and bloom.
i always thought cherry trees were so beautiful, and cherry blooms are lovley!
but how do they grow here?

stratman
10-May-07, 22:43
Hi Brandy

An important decision I realise I have followed your story, if that is the right word and have been deeply moved.

I start by saying i am no great expert but a keen gardener and recognise the deep symbolism a plant can have.

Cherry trees that have the beautiful blossom are an ornamental and so do not bare fruit.

How about an early fruiting plum that has a chance before the Caithness weather deteriorates. Such as Rivers Earl prolific. An attractive tree that produces fruit In July for most of the country so Late august for us probably.

Homebase had them in and they were self pollinating which would be necessary if it was in isolation. They would be easily available elsewhere.

Good luck. I really hope you find the correct plant to remember Tom.

trinkie
13-May-07, 08:26
Hallo Brandy

That is a most wonderful idea.
The Cherry however, does not last long, and even after a couple of years you would have problems with it.
Why not go for something that grows happily in the north - like a Rowan Tree. There are several varieties. Of course it has a wonderful history too. One was always planted outside a cottage door for Good Luck.
I love the song.....

We sat aroon your spreading shade
The bairnies roond ye ran
We pulled yur bonnie berries Red
And necklaces we strang.

My mither Oh I see her still
She smiled oor sports tae see
Wi little Johnnie on her lap
And Jamie at her knee.......etc ( something like that)

The blossoms are one of the first in spring
and then the glorious red berries - which can be cooked and eaten with game or meat. The leaves are very pretty, having a feathery look when the sun shines through. I just love it !

Good Luck - and enjoy the planning of it .

North Rhins
13-May-07, 22:38
For me it would be a Rowan. There is something about this hardy little tree that I find enduring. Whenever I have moved houses, I always ensure that I have a Rowan somewhere in the garden.
I think folklore has it that a Rowan planted by the front door prevents witches from entering the house; it must work ‘cos I’ve never had one! ;)

brandy
14-May-07, 10:18
we have a rowan in the back already *grins* its as tall as the house! going to have to have it trimmed again!
have been told that its getting late in the year to plant a tree? is this correct?
i know apple trees will grow, neighbor has them, but they are very sour *grins*
womder what like a weeping willow would do?

katarina
15-May-07, 18:44
hiya guys, i was planning on planting a tree in memory of tom.
i was trying to figure out what to plant though.
we live in wick in the town. our garden is pretty protected but not completley from the wind.
i was thinking a fruit tree, that would flower and bloom.
i always thought cherry trees were so beautiful, and cherry blooms are lovley!
but how do they grow here?

We've had a flowering cherry for years and every year it just gets better. What do you mean it doesn't last long? I've been here for 19 years! I also have a cherry tree. Blooms don't last long and the birds eat the cherries before I can pick them!
And how about a labernum? They seem to do well up here.
I'm going to buy one myself as soon as i get someone to dig a hole!

Scunner
15-May-07, 20:49
Beware if you plant a laburnum, the pods that form after it flowers are poisonous.

Victoria
16-May-07, 15:41
we have a rowan in the back already *grins* its as tall as the house! going to have to have it trimmed again!
have been told that its getting late in the year to plant a tree? is this correct?
i know apple trees will grow, neighbor has them, but they are very sour *grins*
womder what like a weeping willow would do?

Hi Brandy,

The best time to plant a tree is in the Autumn.

Willows need an awful amount of water and their root system is massive. They will cause problems to foundations if too close to a structure and will rob the rest of your plants of water and nutrients.

What about a weeping silver birch (Betula pendula 'Youngii'). I have also seen a lovely Magnolia called 'Heaven Scent' or even a shrub like Buddleia that attracts lovely butterflies.

brandy
17-May-07, 22:56
we bought a tree today! its an apple tree.. a bolero, as i wanted something that flowered as well. and it dosent get to big, so is fine for the garden and it likes chilly weather and you can eat yummy apples! yeah!
thank you for all your advice guys,
we are thinking about possibly buying a few dwarf fruit trees next year.. do they produce well? and are the fruits yummy?

changilass
17-May-07, 23:32
I put my apple trees in a larg pot, then bury the pot in the garden, this means that the tree does not grow too big, still produces fruit, and should you move house in the future it is very easy to take with you.

stratman
18-May-07, 15:31
we bought a tree today! its an apple tree.. a bolero, as i wanted something that flowered as well. and it dosent get to big, so is fine for the garden and it likes chilly weather and you can eat yummy apples! yeah!
thank you for all your advice guys,
we are thinking about possibly buying a few dwarf fruit trees next year.. do they produce well? and are the fruits yummy?

Hi Brandy. Looked it up, it looks nice and crops before the Caithness weather is too bad. Is it self pollinating or have you other apples near by?

brandy
18-May-07, 16:37
the neighbors have huge apple trees in the next garden, but i think its partially self polinating, not sure though.. it has loads of flowers on it just now.

crayola
19-May-07, 02:02
I think folklore has it that a Rowan planted by the front door prevents witches from entering the house; it must work ‘cos I’ve never had one! ;) You don't know what you're missing. ;)

crayola
19-May-07, 02:04
Cherry trees that have the beautiful blossom are an ornamental and so do not bare fruit.I have a cherry tree in my garden. It produces beautiful blossoms. It produces punnets of cherries. What am I missing? :confused