PDA

View Full Version : Sky

Ash
10-May-07, 10:31
[evil] i need to have a rant today! a month ago when we had all the bad weather our sky dish was knocked and we had no signal, we called the engineer who fitted it, he told us that it shouldnt of been put on a stone cladded house as its not really in the wall, when we reminded him that it was his company that installed it he back tracked, he said he would send someone out to fix it, the day the guy arrived to fix it he got his ladder hit the screws with a hammer and charged me £37.50 on the spot! not happy, so i phoned sky because the more i thought about it it was his fault in the first place as it was put in the wrong place, sky told us they would send out one of their own engineers for free and wouldnt charge us,they advised us to report the other engineer as he admitted liability, they day sky was meant to be refitted we got a call from the engineer who installed it in the first place saying they were refitting it,but not for free, after numerous calls to sky today i have cancelled my sky as the same company are being called to fit it, and still saying they are going to charge even tho sky said they wouldnt!

Bobinovich
10-May-07, 11:53
Go on Ash - name and shame the company so no-one else gets sucked into the same situation. I'd bet my bottom dollar that I know who it is already tho' :Razz

Ash
10-May-07, 11:54
colin chessor! absoultely awful! [evil]

itsteven
10-May-07, 12:05
:Razz i had somthing wrong with my sky dish and i phoned sky they said that they would get somone to fix it but it would cost me £90 i said no as its a council house and its full of rust he said thats it wasnt his fault so i told them where to stick it so good for you :Razz

Ash
10-May-07, 12:13
:mad: what annoys me is that i have give chessor my money! he knew it shouldnt be installed where it was, today on the phone he said it would cost me £40 for the brackets as he is using his own as the sky ones rust easily, never even gave me an option to use the sky ones, also 50p per metre for the cabling!

BRIE
10-May-07, 12:34
they fitted my sky too! attached the cable to the stone ledge of my house it looks awful didnt even put it against the wall just trailed right across the middle!! as for the dish its that low on the wall you can touch it![evil]

Ash
10-May-07, 12:43
its awful, if u are paying for a service then you should get a good service, when my sky was installed first time they left a mess, cable in front garden,mud on my floor, and pee on my toilet seat![disgust]

NickInTheNorth
10-May-07, 12:52
The charges that sky make for installation absolutely disgust me. The job is very simple.

I'll be in Thurso as from early June. If you're still not sorted let me know and I'll sort it out for you. It'll cost whatever the brackets cost, and a cup of tea.

I won't even pee on the toilet seat!

Have installed sky for myself 3 times, and several friends. Even installed one were sky said it was not possible! Too long a cable run, but that's still working 4 years on :)

Ash
10-May-07, 12:53
hey thanks for that, soo glad not only one unhappy about this

Bobinovich
10-May-07, 12:57
The best thing is to keep on at Sky. When our original Sky box was fitted the engineer installed the cable so that water could creep through the hole and into the house - it corroded the ariel fitting on the digital box. Also our Sky dish was very rusted.

As a long-term good-paying subscriber I asked them for a new box and dish when we were building our conservatory - we were going to have to get the dish moved anyway, and they said Yes, no problem that'll be £xxx.

We pushed them on the fact that they happily give repeat non-payers special deals in order to keep them as subscribers, and yet when a 'good' subscriber wants a special deal after Y years of paying they're expected to pay extra. Where is the fairness in that? They got the idea and we got the new box, dish and fitting all for free.

So just keep on at Sky. Make no mistake, they want your money, and while you're a regular subscriber you wield some power.

ks
10-May-07, 15:04
I spoke to Colin Chessor last week and he was very rude - talked over the top of me as he assumed he knew what I was going to say, not happy when I asked him to let me finish what I was trying to ask!

slinky
10-May-07, 15:12
chessor fitted ariel and freeview for me in summer winter came water was running down cable into socket in house ,says when called someone must of forgot to put a rubber on it to stop the water dripping down ,still charged us for a new booster box as it was wet :roll: 75 for 10 min work that they caused

NickInTheNorth
10-May-07, 15:15
am I correct in thinking that there is only one sky installer in the area, and that he's none too well thought of?

stratman
10-May-07, 15:23
chessor fitted ariel and freeview for me in summer winter came water was running down cable into socket in house ,says when called someone must of forgot to put a rubber on it to stop the water dripping down ,still charged us for a new booster box as it was wet :roll: 75 for 10 min work that they caused

Surely the cable should be looped so that it goes up into the house not down. Does he know what he is doing?

Ash
10-May-07, 15:32
im sure graham beggs install sky, and alacam why oh why do sky keep sending chessors?!

Helen Wheels
10-May-07, 21:11
I had similar problems with my sky dish moving out of position in bad weather and latterly it seemed to go off-line, even in a slight wind. I used to contact the local suppliers direct and was eventually advised by graham begg to move the dish, which they did and haven't had any problems since. I think that if you live in Wick, periodic rusting of the dish and fittings is a higher risk, just because of the saltier air. Much more expensive and less flexible on timings if you go through sky than contacting local dealers direct.

Moonboots
10-May-07, 22:18
Thers only 1 main Sky sub-contractor in the Caithness area and that is Colin Chessor.
I have been registered with Sky as an engineer for over a year and they are still awaiting a placement for me in the Caithness area.

Its all down to the location and once Sky Broadband comes into the area then the placements will be given. This isnt till the end of 2007 but if they get enough complaints about the subcontractor then they might get off their backsides and get there own engineers in the area including myself.

If you need any assistance then give me a shout and i will have a look for you to see what i can do.

Cheers
Paul

jambo
10-May-07, 22:31
cable at 50p a metre what a rip of it is roughly only 30p a mtr in the wholesalers.

stivagorm
10-May-07, 22:35
ASH, may i suggest contacting the company and asking for a refund, ask the head person politely, if this fails, you must threaten Trading Standards as obviously it is very poor trading. You can contact T.S in Inverness for further advice. It seems that you have been the subject of extortion. It stinks and I would stand your ground. I would also contact Sky and advise them of the situation that the company that charged you WAS in fact the company they would have sent out. Get them to resolve the issue for you and refund you the £37.50 via subscription also. Again, nicely nicely approach and if that happens to fail also, threaten Trading Standards to them as they TOO, fall into the category that they CANNOT be seen to be extorting the paying public. The whole thing stinks and I cannot stand people being seen to be ripped off nor hard done by, Please let me know how you get on, and if need be Ill call htem for you.

Best of Luck

mums angels
10-May-07, 23:23
colin chessor usually charges £60 call out charge if done through sky ...

i had loads of problems over a 6 months and kept phoning sky and they sent colin out who didnt turn up but then had the cheek to take money out of bank account ...phoned complained took two months to get him out to fix it again . complained to sky they told me to write a letter and i got all 6 months payments (£32 each month) back , plus call out fee and now get the sky entertainment package at £21 so all in all i'm quite happy with sky but would rather never deal with chessor again

engiebenjy
10-May-07, 23:52
Chessor installed sis in laws sky a few months back. She asked them to put the dish round side of house where wall goes to top of house. The guy put it right outside the kitchen door where the wall goes to just above the window. My husband has cut his head on it, and everybody has knocked their head. Even had the cheek to send her husband to the shop while he was installing the system to get batteries for the remote control!

Anyway, where he put it is in line with a tree, which, covered in leaves now, means they have no sky signal 90% of the time. Phoned sky yesterday - sending someone on Monday. We all know who that will be. Want to see them try to charge her for it though!!!

concerned resident
11-May-07, 00:33
I had the other company in to replace dish, as was rusted badly, this they did, but had a very poor signal (quality and strength) and some stations the picture would break up. I put up with it for a while, then brought the equipment required, of E-bay,
and sorted it, so i now have a great picture, have fitted a couple for friends since, its not hard, or complicated, and a lot cheaper.

bluewickers
12-May-07, 07:32
Maybe its a ploy to keep getting work..
"I wont do it right this time so i know that they will phone back to sky a few weeks down the line to get it fixed again."

Moonboots
12-May-07, 10:43
Maybe its a ploy to keep getting work..
"I wont do it right this time so i know that they will phone back to sky a few weeks down the line to get it fixed again."

Im not sure if this is the way Sky work with subbies but when you work for Sky themselves then you get a bonus for not getting a re-callout to the same address within the year.

quirbal
12-May-07, 12:32
Well why not just cancel Sky - they repeat everything continuously anyway.

I did cancel Sky, because I was having problems with the dish - they sent someone out to replace it for free and put in a new digibox as well.

However, after several months I cancelled it again and am now happy with Freeview.

eezymover
26-May-07, 17:21
your sky dishes go rusty anyway so wat r u moanin at

Jeemag_USA
26-May-07, 17:37
Chessor installed sis in laws sky a few months back. She asked them to put the dish round side of house where wall goes to top of house. The guy put it right outside the kitchen door where the wall goes to just above the window. My husband has cut his head on it, and everybody has knocked their head. Even had the cheek to send her husband to the shop while he was installing the system to get batteries for the remote control!

Anyway, where he put it is in line with a tree, which, covered in leaves now, means they have no sky signal 90% of the time. Phoned sky yesterday - sending someone on Monday. We all know who that will be. Want to see them try to charge her for it though!!!

So if they were there while he was installing it why did they not ask him to not put it there while he was doing it? Would have saved a lot of hassle no?

engiebenjy
26-May-07, 18:45
I have to say that they did ask him to do this. He refused, as it was 'too windy to go up a ladder'.. If it was too windy that day, it's a wonder there are any dishes above 3ft in Caithness!

Moonboots
30-May-07, 13:11
I have to say that they did ask him to do this. He refused, as it was 'too windy to go up a ladder'.. If it was too windy that day, it's a wonder there are any dishes above 3ft in Caithness!

If it was windy then it should have got re-scheduled for the next day and then it would have been placed in a better situation

ber219
30-May-07, 13:35
This is worrying as I am moving back to Caithness in 3 weeks time and have to get Sky installed for the Sports Channels for my other half. We are moving to a house in Berriedale (renting of the estate) and have been advised that we will have to have the Sky Dish on the side of the house as the cottage is very low and also if it is on the side of the house its not so much of an eye sore. I know Colin Chessor installed my mum and dads in Berriedale and they did a pretty good job and it took them ages to find a signal being down in the dip but after what I have heard I am worried about getting them to install mine. I will leave it to my other half and if they start coming out with nonsense to him I am sure he will tell them what for and they will do a proper job of it lol

Ash
30-May-07, 15:29
hey i hope u get on better than i did, i miss my sky! lol. got a freeview box now......

Twixy
30-May-07, 18:43
Sorry but I have to disagree with you all about Colin chessor. I have been a customer of his for over 5 years now and also have Sky. I have had no problems and think that if you have a disagreement with him you should speak to him face to face instead of taking the cowards way out and doing it this way.:Razz

Ash
30-May-07, 18:52
well twixy! i have spoken to him and he refused to refund us our money!! the money he owed us he admitted liability! he has been reported!

Twixy
30-May-07, 19:02
Well ash. I think you maybe should watch what you are saying and doing as you may find yourself reported. Further more for anyone reading this, phoning sky and paying money is paying money direct to Sky not Colin Chessor. He is just a sub-contractor and has nothing to do with the money paid by customers. I have had to do this myself when calling sky for service calls. I take it you did speak to him face to face then.:confused

Fanny's Your Aunt
30-May-07, 19:06
I too have been a long term customer of Colin Chessor's and have found him and the boys who work for him nothing other than fair and friendly. What people are losing sight of is that there are a few folk complaining on here but have a look round the county and see the thousands of dishes that are up and you will realise that he must be doing something right. It is no problem to wait until a job is done then moan about it afterwards but then again some people will moan for moanings sake eh!!!!

I wish Colin and his staff the best of luck in their new shop in Thurso.:D

chessor
30-May-07, 19:08
Thanks Twixy for your comments. And no it is not Colin here, it is his daughter and of course I am going to defend him.
His business has been running for over 9 years now and is a very successful business. He has many loyal customers and has been the main sky contractor up here for many years.
Why would sky keep him as such if he was not capable of carrying out this contract??
He has just opened up new premises in the town and I will be proud to work alongside him and have years of experience in customer service. I know however that my dad has a great rapport with his customers and am sorry that you feel you had to go down this route.

swavey
30-May-07, 19:25
i seriously cant believe you are moaning about paying £37.50 for a non standard install, i am a senior engineer for a major sky/aerial company in glasgow and we charge £95 + vat for a non standard install.no independent sky company will take responsibility for any damage to a property if the dish is to go on a cladded wall or if the dish is to go on a roof/chimney.sky themselves will not fit a dish to a cladded building nor will they put the dish on the roof/chimney as their insurances wont cover them to do it hence why an independent company will not take any responsibility for damages.
a sky dish is only built to withstand 40mph winds so any windspeeds above that are likely to blow your dish off line and in caithness the chances of that are quite high.in the event of this happening it is of no fault to the engineer who fitted it,it is an act of god so a company has every right to charge a customer to realign their dish whether it was installed two years ago or two days ago.

swavey
30-May-07, 19:48
I think it is totally inapropriate that this post was started in the first place!!this is nothing but pure slander and gutless to say the least!!
hope you and your freeview box are very happy ash!!!

NLP
30-May-07, 20:41
We called Sky and said we would cancel as we paid to have our sky box fixed only 6 months before (chessor) we ended up getting it fixed for free, it did take many calls to sky.

Liz
30-May-07, 22:58
I don't have Sky (quite happy with Freeview) and have dealt with Colin who has always been polite and very helpful.

Also Stevey who has come to the house to install my Freeview and aerial is always very polite and friendly.

I will definitely be dealing with him again and wish him well in his new premises.

marylund2323
30-May-07, 23:42
im dont personally have sky but i am ordering it very soon. i would be quite happy for him to install my sky as he has done a good job on my sisters. it may be low down but is safer from the obvious dangers of the wind there...and was the only sensible place to put it. i look forward to my new sky install. good look with the new premises mate

Ash
31-May-07, 09:20
u say why complain about £37.50? its my money thats why! i paid for a good service and we never got it! we spent numerous of hours on the phone to sky and chessors! and as he admitted it was installed in the wrong place we shouldnt of had to pay for it to be fixed..........

Twixy
31-May-07, 10:17
Take it the answer to my question was NO you didn,t have the guts to go speak to him face to face.

Ash
31-May-07, 10:19
Take it the answer to my question was NO you didn,t have the guts to go speak to him face to face.

we spoke to him numerous of times, once face to face and others on the phone[evil]

swavey
31-May-07, 20:06
did u pay for install,and if you did how much?.

Ash
31-May-07, 20:25
our installation was free but had to pay a charge of £25 as we didnt have a phone line....

swavey
31-May-07, 21:11
that £25 no phone line charge goes straight to sky and colin doesnt see a penny of that.anyway if the dish was put in the correct position in the first place you would have been charged the £37.50 non standard dish install charge when it was done.so quite rite you got charged £37.50 to move it.

Ash
01-Jun-07, 09:36
oh god! he never moved it!! he charged me 37.50 just to come out and was gonna charge me £60+ for it to be moved!