PDA

View Full Version : Children's dentist?

Fifi
30-May-05, 17:16
Now, before I start, I do not want to start a debate on the state of/lack of dentists in the county!!

I would just like to know which dentist you would recommend locally for children's care? I currently pay privately for my own dental care but find my dentist a little brusque in their manner and do not think that my child may take to them (no, I'm not naming names!). Also, they said there was no need to go before my little boy was 2 years old but I would have thought they would have a checkup before then? Any advice appreciated.

Blondie
30-May-05, 17:33
Mr Nicol. Get him on 605050. A wonderful man with Children.

linzy222
31-May-05, 16:37
Hi there is Dr Shepard at pennyland primary school, he is great with children, my children see him, the number there is 894018

katarina
31-May-05, 21:18
Mr Nicol. Get him on 605050. A wonderful man with Children.

I agree. He really has the touch! my daughter's tooth was out before she realised it - so different from the time i took my older daughter to another dentist (mentioning no names) who told me to take her home and let her have toothache - just because she was frightened!

colmac
01-Jun-05, 08:12
There is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOng waiting list for the school dentist at Pennyland though. I requested an appointment for my son TWO years ago and he still hasn't received one. I think the school dentist tends to only see kids that have an actual dental problem that needs sorting out rather than kids for a check up. I thought my son would get seen by Mr Shepherd fairly quick as he had a sore tooth and his sister was going back and forth for treatment. Obviously not. He is a lovely man though.

Julia
01-Jun-05, 09:58
My dentist (when I had one) informed me he didn't need to see a child before the age of five, I thought that was a heck of a long time to wait!

Fifi
01-Jun-05, 16:06
Yeah, for some strange reason the dentists don't seem that keen on preventative care so no wonder Scotland has a terrible record for kid's teeth.

The health visitor recently brought some fluoride toothpaste round as part of the baby's 8 month checkup and said that they recommended using it for infants as there is no flouride in the water. I said that it was strange that the dentist had not offered this information when I talked to them about when I should start taking my son for checkups etc, but she said that several parents had said the same thing! Could it be because there is no money in preventative care??!! [disgust]

Thanks for the replies from you all regarding good kiddie dentists - I think I will put my son's name on a waiting list now!

squidge
01-Jun-05, 16:11
I was once told that there is no money paid to dentists for preventative care for shildren. They only get maid if they have to take a childs tooth out they dont get paid for fillings

L Mackenzie
02-Jun-05, 16:15
My kids went to a dentist called Mr Finn in the hospital the other day. He was excellent with them making jokes etc. The phone number is 603733.

Fran
08-Jun-05, 00:27
Mr G. Finn is now the hospital dentist and Mr nicol is the school dentist....i highly recommend both.