PDA

View Full Version : Speed - Accident waiting to happen

ColinWhittaker
06-Oct-16, 11:56
Does anyone know when the road between Thurso and John 'o' groats was turned into a race track and all speed limits were removed?

Some of the 'racers' have been tourists but the majority are residents. The speed that some vehicle travel on the stretch between Dunnet and Mey is disgusting and dangerous.

I would welcome anyone of those speeding drivers why they feel the need to travel so fast and why they think they are exempt for any speed limits?

sids
06-Oct-16, 12:49
It's good fun.

kara
06-Oct-16, 20:36
I need to blow out the valves on my 280bhp race car

sids
06-Oct-16, 21:25
Kara tried to pass me.

I'm not letting nobody off with that!

gaza
06-Oct-16, 23:58
Well, you did ask ! !

dc1
07-Oct-16, 17:59
you all must be guilty of speeding by your replies

gaza
07-Oct-16, 18:46

You would assume,
But-
The national speed limit in the highlands (no duel carriageways) is 60mph but caithness has a higher than average amount of OAPs who should have given there licence back several years ago, because most can't see, don't put there lights on, don't use indicators, and park where and however they see fit ! ! ! so perhaps it's not the few who are speeding ! It's the fact that the complainers are pottering along at 35-40mph and holding people up,
there is more of these slow oldies than boy racers in caithness. The police SHOULD be targeting them.

sids
07-Oct-16, 19:47

Until proven innocent!

mi16
07-Oct-16, 22:28
I'd doubt if any driver could honestly say that they have never exceeded the speed limit at some time or another.
HGV drivers are by far the worst for it on the roads.

Shaggy
07-Oct-16, 23:18
I'd doubt if any driver could honestly say that they have never exceeded the speed limit at some time or another.
HGV drivers are by far the worst for it on the roads.

Like you wouldn't be the first to whine if you were stuck behind a trucker doing 40mph.

mi16
07-Oct-16, 23:25
I can honestly say that it would not concern me, I would just pass it at the first opportunity to do so.
their limit is set at 40mph for a reason, but I have never seen a copper pull a wagon over for exceeding it.

gaza
08-Oct-16, 08:25
I can honestly say that it would not concern me, I would just pass it at the first opportunity to do so.
their limit is set at 40mph for a reason, but I have never seen a copper pull a wagon over for exceeding it.

Who made you the dicide're when to overtake ?
Your overtake my by others be classified as unsafe, but then someone with a more powerful car would consider that YOU are now holding up the overtaking opportunity because you haven't left enough room for them to pass !

mi16
08-Oct-16, 08:47
Who made you the dicide're when to overtake ?
Your overtake my by others be classified as unsafe, but then someone with a more powerful car would consider that YOU are now holding up the overtaking opportunity because you haven't left enough room for them to pass !

by following the Highway Code, the power of other cars is not your concern.

sids
08-Oct-16, 09:08
the power of other cars is not your concern.

It is if they beat you!

mi16
08-Oct-16, 09:26
It is if they beat you!

Then you you need to up your game with the mods

gaza
08-Oct-16, 15:50
by following the Highway Code, the power of other cars is not your concern.

Of course the power of the other vehicle is a concern ! As a driver I assess every situation and possible outcomes.
Who are you to tell anyone that somthing doesn't concern them.

Gronnuck
08-Oct-16, 16:59
gaza your arrogance comes across loud and clear..... The national speed limit is just that, a limit, not a target. FYI I am an OAP with fifty years driving experience. I use my lights, use my indicators and park sensibly according to the Highway code and current legislation. I am happy to potter along at a speed appropriate to my abilities, my car and the conditions of the road. My abilities and experience are reflected in the low annual car insurance premium I pay. Now if you care to do a little research you will find that the majority of fatalities and life changing injuries resulting from road traffic collisions in Caithness involved drivers aged 40 and under. Indeed if you were to research the subject thoroughly you will find that across the country younger drivers are much more likely to be involved in a collision than an older driver.
You gaza, by virtue of your youth have no right to dictate the terms and conditions for other road users. That older, more mature road user could be your Mum/Dad or Grandparents just going about their business.
Take care and be safe.

mi16
08-Oct-16, 17:24
Of course the power of the other vehicle is a concern ! As a driver I assess every situation and possible outcomes.
Who are you to tell anyone that somthing doesn't concern them.

how do you know what power is in the vehicle behind you?

Alrock
08-Oct-16, 19:11
...Now if you care to do a little research you will find that the majority of fatalities and life changing injuries resulting from road traffic collisions in Caithness involved drivers aged 40 and under. Indeed if you were to research the subject thoroughly you will find that across the country younger drivers are much more likely to be involved in a collision that an older driver....

Probably through frustration & impatience when stuck behind someone pottering along at 40.

sids
08-Oct-16, 19:25
how do you know what power is in the vehicle behind you?

Has it been catching up?

Gronnuck
08-Oct-16, 19:37
Probably through frustration & impatience when stuck behind someone pottering along at 40.

Thank you for your observation Alrock; clearly people who cannot control their feelings and emotions while driving have a serious problem, perhaps it is they who should hand in their licence.

Kodiak
08-Oct-16, 19:40
You would assume,
But-
The national speed limit in the highlands (no duel carriageways) is 60mph but caithness has a higher than average amount of OAPs who should have given there licence back several years ago, because most can't see, don't put there lights on, don't use indicators, and park where and however they see fit ! ! ! so perhaps it's not the few who are speeding ! It's the fact that the complainers are pottering along at 35-40mph and holding people up,
there is more of these slow oldies than boy racers in caithness. The police SHOULD be targeting them.

I have never read such a load of Codswallop in all my days.

For you to say that elderly Drivers should give up their Driving Licence because most can't see is Totally Inappropriate and Ageist.

I travel from Thurso to Wick and back again several times a week. There is never a journey that I drive, where at least Three or Four Cars pass me like I am standing still. This is when I am traveling at 60MPH, I know my speed as I have Cruise Control set at 60MPH. Very rarely do I come across someone driving at 40MPH and when I do it is usually a Farmer checking on his sheep or cows.

You might not like to come across a driver driving at 40-45MPH but you must remember that speed is perfectly legal whereas driving over 60MPH is Not. all you need to do is to be a little more Patient.

mi16
08-Oct-16, 19:47
Has it been catching up?

in the tailing a lorry scenario, most vehicles would catch up.
if you are balls out on stainland then you know he has more horses than you

Kevin Milkins
08-Oct-16, 22:41
Not sure what the charm is on all this rushing about.

gaza
09-Oct-16, 10:40
I have never read such a load of Codswallop in all my days.

For you to say that elderly Drivers should give up their Driving Licence because most can't see is Totally Inappropriate and Ageist.

I travel from Thurso to Wick and back again several times a week. There is never a journey that I drive, where at least Three or Four Cars pass me like I am standing still. This is when I am traveling at 60MPH, I know my speed as I have Cruise Control set at 60MPH. Very rarely do I come across someone driving at 40MPH and when I do it is usually a Farmer checking on his sheep or cows.

You might not like to come across a driver driving at 40-45MPH but you must remember that speed is perfectly legal whereas driving over 60MPH is Not. all you need to do is to be a little more Patient.

FOR THE ATTENTION OF - GRONNUCK & KODIAK

So your saying it's ok to drive even when you can't see ! !
And it's ok to drive at 30/40 if you like !
And you've been driving for 50 years which makes you an expert ! !
READ my post again.
I say most, perhaps I should have said many ! !
I myself have been driving for 40 years but I'm always open to learning and new rules, and as I hold many plant operator licences and to keep these I have to be reassessed every two years, as to assure other's that I'm safe to continue.
When the time comes and they will, that they introduce a reassessment test I will be happy to take, as I would like to keep my motorbike, my car,my towing, my hgv and my pilot licence,
But the categories of plant operators licences they can keep, as I'll be happily retired.
NO body is an expert, but if you want to act like a politician with your statistics carry on.
Our end goal is the same and that is to make the roads safer, nowhere did I say, let the youngsters speed and kill themselves and others.
I simply want us all to be safe, but unfortunately the elderly are amongst the people who kill others on the roads, of which a couple have been reported lately.
So if all you can take from my post is that of arrogance.
Then I ask you to look again because I think perhaps it's you with the problem ! !

sids
09-Oct-16, 12:30
I would like to keep my motorbike, my car,my towing, my hgv and my pilot licence

Do they warn the passengers that the pilot is a lorry driver?

gaza
09-Oct-16, 12:50
Do they warn the passengers that the pilot is a lorry driver?
Single seater, and I land it on the roof of my moving lorry. Then speed out the back doors on my motorbike ! ! !

Kodiak
09-Oct-16, 18:49
I think you will notice if you read my post correctly that no where did I sate that it was OK for anyone to drive if they could not see. What I said was your comment was Codswallop and it still is. If anyone got into a car and could not see, (this would make them BLIND), I doubt they could drive at all. Just because a person is elderly it does not mean they have bad eyesight, as a matter of fact the elderly get their eyes tested more regularly nd as such their eyesight is usually excellent.

Yes I do say it is perfectly alright to Drive at 40MPH as this is quite legal to do so. If you come across a person driving slower than you there might be a number of reasons and not just the one you claim, that being elderly.

So if you truly believe that you want, and I quote you :-

I simply want us all to be safe

Then I suggest you should be putting your efforts to reducing the speed of all Drivers to the legal limit rather than superious claims.

Gronnuck
09-Oct-16, 18:53
FOR THE ATTENTION OF - GRONNUCK & KODIAK

So your saying it's ok to drive even when you can't see ! !

Nowhere did I say it was OK to drive if you can't see.

And it's ok to drive at 30/40 if you like !

I've rarely witness this but unless they are impeding the flow of traffic and are not breaking the law we should let them get on with their business.[/QUOTE]

And you've been driving for 50 years which makes you an expert ! !

No where in my post did I claim to be any kind of expert! Experienced yes. Continually learning yes. Expert no.

READ my post again.
I say most, perhaps I should have said many ! !
I myself have been driving for 40 years but I'm always open to learning and new rules, and as I hold many plant operator licences and to keep these I have to be reassessed every two years, as to assure other's that I'm safe to continue.
When the time comes and they will, that they introduce a reassessment test I will be happy to take, as I would like to keep my motorbike, my car,my towing, my hgv and my pilot licence,
But the categories of plant operators licences they can keep, as I'll be happily retired.
NO body is an expert, but if you want to act like a politician with your statistics carry on.

I agree nobody is an expert. I've already told you I did not claim to be an expert. As for statistics, the insurance industry use them to determine risk. To claim it is 'political' is nonsensical.

Our end goal is the same and that is to make the roads safer, nowhere did I say, let the youngsters speed and kill themselves and others.

I agree

I simply want us all to be safe, but unfortunately the elderly are amongst the people who kill others on the roads, of which a couple have been reported lately.

There have been a few instances I agree but the insurance industry statistics show the age groups that are most likely to be involved in a RTC.

So if all you can take from my post is that of arrogance.
Then I ask you to look again because I think perhaps it's you with the problem ! !

What problem do I have? Let me remind you gaza YOU are the one who generalised and said older drivers should be off the road, this attitude is ageist and totally inappropriate in this day and age. I don't have a problem toodling around in my car, at an appropriate speed. I rarely have a problem with other road users. I'm not the one having a swipe at other drivers young or old.

gaza
09-Oct-16, 20:06
I was right.
You two do have a problem.

Gronnuck
09-Oct-16, 20:53
I was right.
You two do have a problem.

The only problem I might have is that I do not suffer fools gladly. Goodnight, :)

sids
09-Oct-16, 21:45
The only problem I might have is that I do not suffer fools gladly. )

You're not seeing it from here.

gaza
09-Oct-16, 22:35
Gronnuck

I never generalised anything

I agree that people of all ages can be a hazard on our roads but.

Statistics say (you've got me at it now) that the police are finding that more and more of the elderly are having to be removed from our roads due to being unfit through prescription drugs, impered vision or diminished reaction's and the stubbornness to accept there driving days are over.

But then apparently you agree
That some elderly people are driving with impered vision

And you agree
that some elderly are impeding the flow of traffic

And you agree
That there have been incidents were some elderly people have caused death and carnage on our roads

And you agree
That just because you have 50 years driving experience doesn't make you an expert.

Well if I'm not mistaken,
That's you agreeing to everything I said in my original comment

Now if I'm a fool , then so be it.

But you sir, should take your head out of the sand

Shaggy
09-Oct-16, 23:25
I never generalise anything myself either and totally agree that people of all ages can be a hazard on our roads but......

there are many driving around Caithness with impared mentality

Many park any old where and are impeding the flow of traffic, i.e. Bridge Street and what's that street where there was a load of bitching about parking on in Thurso.....you all know the one...

there have indeed been many incidents where some elderly people have caused death and carnage on our roads and just as many, if not more, younger people have caused the same but sadly, not all of them have learned from their actions

i have 33 years driving experience and i'm no expert, never claimed to be, never seen myself as one either so if i get it wrong when out toodling along at 30mph and holding up the boy-racers and blind old bats then who do i blame?? me of course as i most surely i can't blame an elderly, blind, senile driver who forgot to hand their licence in or a petrol-head of a boy racer who wants to read the small print on my rear number plate at 90mph now can i?

Meiklejohns have a special offer on lucky bags at the moment, maybe some of you will strike lucky and fish out a driving licence along with a toffee.....

Gronnuck
10-Oct-16, 11:35
Good morning gaza.

Gronnuck

I never generalised anything

I agree that people of all ages can be a hazard on our roads but.

Statistics say (you've got me at it now) that the police are finding that more and more of the elderly are having to be removed from our roads due to being unfit through prescription drugs, impered vision or diminished reaction's and the stubbornness to accept there driving days are over.

Your data source for this implied increase?

But then apparently you agree
That some elderly people are driving with impered vision

I said no such thing.

And you agree
that some elderly are impeding the flow of traffic

I said no such thing. In my experience hereabouts older drivers are no more likely to impeded the flow of traffic than farmers with their tractors or visitors with their motorhomes.

And you agree
That there have been incidents were some elderly people have caused death and carnage on our roads

Those reports in the media are the exception rather than the rule where the driver has been in their 80s. Lets not use sweeping generalisations against all older drivers.

And you agree
That just because you have 50 years driving experience doesn't make you an expert.

I doubt anyone can claim to be an expert since road safety and driving skills are continually evolving.

Well if I'm not mistaken,
That's you agreeing to everything I said in my original comment

I cannot agree with anyone who believes most older drivers should be taken off the road when statistics clearly show other, younger, age groups cause more fatal/serious RTCs.
You might like to have a look at BRAKE the Road Safety Charity website where they have a page about older drivers.

sids
10-Oct-16, 12:27
I never generalise anything

You sure that's not a generalisation?

Shaggy
10-Oct-16, 13:49
You sure that's not a generalisation?

in general no, what do you reckon then?

mi16
10-Oct-16, 15:53
its getting a bit boring now

Shaggy
10-Oct-16, 16:08
its getting a bit boring now

you'll be right at home then i take it. nobody is forcing you to read the thread or participate.

mi16
10-Oct-16, 16:45
you'll be right at home then i take it. nobody is forcing you to read the thread or participate.

What a helmet

Shaggy
10-Oct-16, 16:48
What a helmet

what an apt description of you looking in the mirror. you bored yet?

gaza
10-Oct-16, 17:25
I think I've been sucked into some sort of mind game and twisting of words !

LET ME TELL YOU THIS "BOYS"
I SAID I'LL TELL YOU THIS

what ever I say is right,
I am allways right,
All of you will allways be wrong
Now be told, and let that be an end to it.

Kodiak
10-Oct-16, 22:40
I think I've been sucked into some sort of mind game and twisting of words !

LET ME TELL YOU THIS "BOYS"
I SAID I'LL TELL YOU THIS

what ever I say is right,
I am allways right,
All of you will allways be wrong
Now be told, and let that be an end to it.

Who go you think you are,.....ME......No there is only one Kodiak :Razz

PS you might want to learn how to spell correctly before you make another post.

mi16
10-Oct-16, 22:44
what an apt description of you looking in the mirror. you bored yet?

See post 38 for further details

Bystander1
11-Oct-16, 09:01
Who go you think you are,.....ME......No there is only one Kodiak :Razz

Then I suggest you should be putting your efforts to reducing the speed of all Drivers to the legal limit rather than superious claims.

PS you might want to learn how to spell correctly before you make another post.

A touch Of tHe olD Pot & Kettle here what with all these SuPerIouS claims.
I suppose it's all good For a Laugh on a quiet Day.

neilsermk1
24-Oct-16, 13:06
[QUOTE=gaza;1155549]FOR THE ATTENTION OF - GRONNUCK & KODIAK" but unfortunately the elderly are amongst the people who kill others on the roads, of which a couple have been reported lately.]

If that were the case car insurance premiums would be a lot higher for the elderly, because the isurance companies have the vested interest and the evidence to back up the FACT that most accidents are causd by young drivers. Thats why the premiums are so high.
Given all your supposed experience I find it amazing you have not figured this out by now

gaza
24-Oct-16, 19:42
[QUOTE=gaza;1155549]FOR THE ATTENTION OF - GRONNUCK & KODIAK" but unfortunately the elderly are amongst the people who kill others on the roads, of which a couple have been reported lately.]

If that were the case car insurance premiums would be a lot higher for the elderly, because the isurance companies have the vested interest and the evidence to back up the FACT that most accidents are causd by young drivers. Thats why the premiums are so high.
Given all your supposed experience I find it amazing you have not figured this out by now

So let's give the elderly free insurance eh
Because they are all fit and healthy and good drivers and not one has caused carnage on our roads due to them not admitting they are no longer safe to drive.
I personally have not had even one pull out on me, I also have never seen one driving without lights, and never been stuck behind a line of traffic with two cars up front occupied with old folk doing 40 leaving no gap for others to overtake and slot in, and the police are lying when they say the numbers of elderly Drivers having their licences revoked has increased, and the paper's are making court case's up when they print their papers.
And every young driver up to the age of 30/35 should get of the roads as they are absolutely useless and dangers drivers.
Is everyone happy now.
Now before you orgers start your rants, read the whole of the thread.

onespace
24-Oct-16, 20:21
the FACT that most accidents are causd by young drivers.

We are all waiting patiently for you to now provide the official peer-reviewed data which supports your fact.

And equally shall we await your definition of "young".

That'll keep you busy (and off the roads) for an evening.