PDA

View Full Version : free virus checker / firewall?

daviddd
29-May-05, 22:51
Hi all - The 3 month free period for McAfee's VC and F is about to end, and it's £44.99 pa to register - is there a free programme that's any good that I can use?

Rheghead
29-May-05, 23:44
Yes, go to www.zonealarm.com (http://www.zonealarm.com) and download the pro-zonealarm firewall for the 15 day trial then after the 15 days just opt for the free basic firewall.

EDDIE
30-May-05, 00:02
If you already have windows xp it has a firewall built into it

Rheghead
30-May-05, 00:06
If you already have windows xp it has a firewall built into it

Yes it does but I found that it still let a few spyware and viruses through so I opted for a dedicated firewall.

EDDIE
30-May-05, 00:14
spyware is a real pain sometimes think a spyware remover is more useful than a firewall Its amazing how they arent laws against people that send spyware and junk email

Fesman
30-May-05, 08:34
Here are some links for software that I find indispensible

Anti Virus

Avast - www.avast.com - free AV programme (comprehensive and user friendly)
AVG - www.grisoft.com - free AV programme (good as a backup to main AV app)

Spyware Detection and Removal

AdAwareSE - www.lavasoft.de
Spybot S&D - www.safer-networking.org
CWShredder - www.spywareinfo.com

A firewall won't protect you from virii or spyware. Only dedicated software will afford that protection.

fred
30-May-05, 12:36
spyware is a real pain sometimes think a spyware remover is more useful than a firewall Its amazing how they arent laws against people that send spyware and junk email

Since I started using Firefox my spyware remover hasn't had much to do at all.

I don't think there's much chance of a change in the law helping. For one thing the spyware
comes from many different countries and for another thing during their election campaign
the Labour Party sent out spam emails with links to a site that asked for your postcode
and left a tracking cookie on your computer.

Anonymous
30-May-05, 13:35
I agree with this. By swithching to firefox the amount of spyware has been drastically decreased. I would recommened ad-aware for spyware and for a free anti-virus you should go for AVG backed up with McAfees Stinger exe for an emergency application.

daviddd
30-May-05, 21:08
excellent, many thanks folk, I'll give some of these a bash. How do these cos. make money then if they don't charge for these services? :confused