PDA

View Full Version : SKY V Netflix, Amazon TV etc

Kodiak
20-Sep-16, 03:35
I have been a customer of SKY or over 25 Years. Now after of years of price rises I can no Longer afford the £74 a month that I was paying them. So last month I Cancelled my SKY Subscription but what to do as I liked the Pause live TV, Recording, Rewind and fast forward.

So I looked around and I found that FreeSat did exactly the same as SKY. The only draw back was that we watched a lot of SKY 1, SKY Atlantic, SKY Living and FOX which you can not get on FreeSat.

Then I found out about NOW TV and if I Bought a NOW Box with an Entertainment pass, the new smart NOW also Records, Pause, Rewind and Fast forward and I would get all the Channels that we wished to receive.

Next Problem was movies and Box Sets. With NOW TV you get Box Sets. We also have Amazon Prime TV where you get Movies by the 1000 as well as Box Sets. After some more investigating we Joined Netflix where there was even more Box Sets and the Films, Like WOW.

So now our Subscription with SKY has finished and been replaced with FreeSat, Amazon Prime, NetFlix and NOW TV.

Costs

FreeSat No Subscription = Free
Amazon Prime which we have anyway for Delivery's so Free
NOW TV Entertainment 1 Month Entertainment Pass £5, with the first 5 Months Free
NetFlix Subscription £7.99 a Month.

So now we get all the TV, Movies Box Sets that we can watch. To honest there may even too much and we will never see it all.

Cost for all this is Only £12.99 a Month which is a LOT Better than the £74 that I was paying SKY

Best thing I ever did was to get Rid of SKY and I should have done it years ago.

KJSigns
20-Sep-16, 12:29
Totally agree with you, I got a 25% discount to stay for another 12 months commitment but wished I had not taken it, for sure it will be gone at the end of that. BT TV is well worth looking at as well its aprox £10-15 per month for the premium one and has nearly everything but the movies, plus for £5 you get the sport which BT have won away from Sky for this season, coupled with your netflix deal its a no brainer. I do have the amazon video because of using prime and that is improving month on month as well so another app worth taking out the trial on, plus you get the free delivery on Amazon and the music service all in.

Rheghead
20-Sep-16, 12:30
Good info. You can also get NowTV, Amazon and Netflix through a PS4 without the need for seperate boxes, you may even find a nice game to play in your spare time.

J1985
20-Sep-16, 18:51
Looks good on paper, but nowtv for example, the entertainment channels are not much entertainment really think ukgold was about the only good channel in it, and you get no sport with your devices(maybe amazon but unsure) and unless someone has a smart tv or ps4 ect they will have to watch there netflix on a laptop or tablet and run a cable ect, tablets not so much but a laptop costs a fair bit to run all day long.. Not tried the amazon prime tv tet but quite like the sound of it.

Kodiak
20-Sep-16, 21:08
Looks good on paper, but nowtv for example, the entertainment channels are not much entertainment really think ukgold was about the only good channel in it, and you get no sport with your devices(maybe amazon but unsure) and unless someone has a smart tv or ps4 ect they will have to watch there netflix on a laptop or tablet and run a cable ect, tablets not so much but a laptop costs a fair bit to run all day long.. Not tried the amazon prime tv tet but quite like the sound of it.

NOW TV.......You also get SKY1, SKY Living, SKY Atlantic and FOX. These are the channels we wanted.

Correct No Sport but then this suits us as we both Hate Sport on TV.

NetFlix we watch on our 42" TV as we get NetFlix two ways. One through the Amazon Prime TV Box and also on our Humax FreeSat Box.

Alrock
20-Sep-16, 21:33
Why can't there be one place where you can get everything for a reasonable price & watch without restrictions?

No wonder piracy is so rife.

kosacid
21-Sep-16, 09:42
kodi ;)

Anfield
21-Sep-16, 10:00
How about an Amazon Fire stick?
£34.99 plus you can add various 3rd party add-on such as Kodi

Kodiak
21-Sep-16, 15:07
How about an Amazon Fire stick?
£34.99 plus you can add various 3rd party add-on such as Kodi

The NOW box I have is fully loaded with Kodi Software.

I do not have the Fire Stick, I have the Fire Box and I have downloaded the following :-

TV Channels

STV Player
TV Player
ITV Player
UK TV Play
Net TV Plus
Hotlist
Pluto TV
Avava UK TV
Avava TV
WWE TV
BBC News
Tubi TV
SKY News
MY 5
BBC iplayer

Movie Channels

Movie Plus
The Film Detective
Film Box Live
Pure Flix
Popcorn Flix
Smart Movies
Mubi Films
Snag Films
Curzon Movies

Anfield
21-Sep-16, 17:23
How did you add Kodi onto your NOWTV box?

Shaggy
21-Sep-16, 19:03
Amazon are offering new customers a fire stick for a tenner at the moment

Kodiak
21-Sep-16, 23:01
How did you add Kodi onto your NOWTV box?

The new NOW Smart Box, which has not been out for long, comes pre-loaded with the Kodi Software. You can Pause, rewind, fast forward, and watch live on 11 channels, catch up on missed episodes or watch on demand on over 250 box sets.

I bought the Box which included a 5 month Entertainment pack for £35.

If you have the older NOW Box there is a Video on You Tube hat explains how to add the Kodi Software

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-iQ9N2NKiw

Anfield
22-Sep-16, 10:23
Thanks for that Kodiak, will give it a go