PDA

View Full Version : The Sinking of The Jervis Bay

brokencross
29-May-05, 21:45
Recently there was an article on Caith.org about the sinking of the Jervis Bay in WWII and told of the new book "If the Gods are Good".
I mentioned this to my dad, as he is of that era (he was a soldier) but knew lots of the Caithness sailors (experienced fishermen in the RNR) involved. He plagued me for more information so I "surfed" (hate that blooming word) deeper and deeper, followed all the links provided and what an amazing story of bravery and personal heroics; in fact one of the sailors was awarded the DMC, that being the first award for bravery given to a Caithnessian in WWII. There are photos of survivors and those lost during the "battle", on the various websites which makes the story more poignant.
Many lives were lost in that sinking, all the accounts are most touching and I for one will be going to buy the book. Thanks to Caith.org for bringing it to my attention.

ps The Caithness Archives site is a boon for all history buffs, and thickies like me!!!!

webmannie
30-May-05, 00:27
Do you mean the Highland Archives site? http://www.internet-promotions.co.uk/archives/

The 'Jervis Bay' story was first published on the site in 1998.

extract:
A useless sacrifice, some might say; 187 men dead and not so much as a scratch on the enemy warship. These figures cannot be disputed, but what is certainly true is that the Jervis Bay's heroic action saved far more sailors than were lost through it. For 22 minutes the brave ship had occupied the full attention of the Admiral Scheer - Which had expended 335 valuable shells in sinking her. These 22 minutes afforded a priceless opportunity for the ships of convoy HX.84, to make good their escape under cover of a welcome darkness.

trinkie
30-May-05, 05:24
Your father may be interested in the Battle of Jutland too - some Wick young men lost here also, sadly.
Search 'Battle of Jutland' lots here, especially ipsabol/jutland - pictures.

There is an excellent Caithness Book called Voices in the Wind by A Budge.

good wishes
SD

brokencross
30-May-05, 09:31
Thanks webmannie that is the self same site I meant, Highland Archives