PDA

View Full Version : What on earth is it?

orkneylass
08-May-07, 21:05
Hi - here in Orkney we have been hearing a quite spooky low woo-wooo-wooo-wooo sound of something flying around at dusk and in the dark - the noise could be a call or a sound of wings. Not like an owl hoot - any ideas?

spurtle
08-May-07, 21:54
Hi - here in Orkney we have been hearing a quite spooky low woo-wooo-wooo-wooo sound of something flying around at dusk and in the dark - the noise could be a call or a sound of wings. Not like an owl hoot - any ideas?

Could be that pesky snipe again

Rheghead
09-May-07, 11:55
The Great Northern diver has a scary call which is mostly heard at night (film makers use its call to add atmosphere to horror films) and it should be in Orkney right now. Is it this (click below) perhaps?:confused

http://www.birdforum.net/opus/images/0/05/Gavia_immer_%28song%29.mp3

nirofo
09-May-07, 20:07
]Hi - here in Orkney we have been hearing a quite spooky low woo-wooo-wooo-wooo sound of something flying around at dusk and in the dark - the noise could be a call or a sound of wings. Not like an owl hoot - any ideas[/I]?

Sounds like Storm Petrels to me, they come ashore at night! It's about right for the beginning of their breeding season, they nest in burrows, old walls, buildings etc, and crevices in the rocks.

Here's a photo of one.

nirofo.

Storm Petrel.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/StormPetrel.jpg

stratman
09-May-07, 21:31
How about this there is a button where you can listen to the snipe:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/snipe/index.asp

stratman
09-May-07, 21:34
I'm scared rheghead!!!!!!!!!

Rheghead
10-May-07, 00:59
I'm scared rheghead!!!!!!!!!

Be afraid people, be very afraid! [lol] [lol]

orkneylass
10-May-07, 17:54
Well done spurtle and stratman - snipe it is.

Thank you both very much, and thank you too to Rheghead and nirofo. That Diver sound is definitely spooky.....

stratman
10-May-07, 21:17
Well done spurtle and stratman - snipe it is.

Thank you both very much, and thank you too to Rheghead and nirofo. That Diver sound is definitely spooky.....

Now you've reminded me I'm scared again!!!!!!!!

orkneylass
10-May-07, 21:34
Great northern diver spotted when I was out sailing on the Swan 2 weeks ago - thought it was a porpoise at first. Did not make that great noise though....

Jeemag_USA
11-May-07, 01:01
Great northern diver spotted when I was out sailing on the Swan 2 weeks ago - thought it was a porpoise at first. Did not make that great noise though....

I saw my first Divers on Loch Scye on Shurrery estate, like Reghead said their call is used a lot in movies, its so recognisable and distinctive. The first time I heard it for real was awesome, its a very primordial sound, puts the hairs up on your neck. I watched a male and female as the male tried to stave off the advance of another male, they chased each other round and round walking on top of the water, it was brilliant. Such a majestic looking bird.