PDA

View Full Version : Who was Weir?

Angela
08-May-07, 11:20
I was enjoying looking at Bill Fernie's photographs of Milton last night - I lived at 8 Weir Crescent when I was a wee girl in the 1950s. A bit of nostalgic wallowing there! ;)

Which made me wonder -where did the name come from? Does anybody know who (or maybe what?) Weir was? :confused

I'd really like to know!

Rheghead
08-May-07, 11:25
Could it be Tom Weir? The Scottish mountaineer and adventurer?:confused Or it could be named after an actual weir (watercourse).

Angela
08-May-07, 12:57
Yes, I did wonder about an actual "weir" rather than a person. That could well (pun really not intended ;) ) have been the case. I'll try to find out.

The houses were built by the council in the early 50s I think -if Weir was a person he/she could have either been a historic figure, or perhaps more likely, someone prominent at the time. :confused

pat
08-May-07, 16:18
Could it have anything to do with the Wilfred Weir grocery shop - used to be where Gunn's shoe shop is in Wick
Wilfred Weir's father ran it, I think, before supermarkets came to Wick. After it was sold, did son not buy iron mongers next door - which from reading posts is now an antique shop - oooohhhh memory is forgetful after all these years.

Angela
08-May-07, 16:35
Oh my, Pat, I DO remember Wilfred Weir's :eek: isn't it strange how these things come back...

I've been told that our memories are arranged rather like filing cabinets, so when you open a file right at the back you've not looked at in years, it ALL comes flooding out! [lol]

horseman
08-May-07, 19:52
My Mam used to send me down to wilfred weirs for a wee bit of shopping,but until that mention of it, it was a lost memory for me..Nice to have it back...:)

Lavenderblue2
08-May-07, 20:59
My mum worked in Wilfred Weir's shop during the war - so did Gus Simpson who eventually had a bakers shop in Thurso.

LB