PDA

View Full Version : Advice would be great

linzy222
28-May-05, 22:45
Hi my cat has just finished having 6 beautiful kittens and i have never had a cat that has had kittens, so any advice would be good, like the do's and don'ts

I know not to touch them, but when can we pick them up and advice like that would be great

Cheers

Linzy

jings00
28-May-05, 22:54
i know nothin of this but maybe try this site??www.pawsonline.info/lookingafterkittens.htm
or ask the vets, i'm sure they would be more than happy to give advice!! good luck. :o)

the_C.A.S.E._of_death
28-May-05, 22:55
The best advice involves a bag with a draw string top, at least 10inches of water, and about 5minutes wait.

Liz
28-May-05, 23:14
The best advice involves a bag with a draw string top, at least 10inches of water, and about 5minutes wait.

Actually this 'advice' is against the law!!!!!!! [mad]

There isn't really much you have to do apart from making sure that Mum and kittens are ok and keep them as quiet as possible. I wouldn't advise handling the kittens unless you really have to and then put them back with Mum asap.
If Mum is ok she will look after the kittens well by herself.
If you think she needs extra 'nourishment' giving her kitten food is a good idea as she gets extra calories from this.

The kittens can be rehomed at about eight weeks of age and I would then recommend you get Mum spayed to avoid another litter. Cats Protection will pay £20 towards the cost.

If you need any help at all either pm me or call the Cats Protection Helpline on 07050 073378.

Good luck! :D
Liz

flyfifer
28-May-05, 23:17
C-A-S-E of Death - that was completely uncalled for and very cruel. If it was meant to be a joke it wasn't funny......Congratulations on new kittens Linzi and I hope all goes well,

The Pepsi Challenge
29-May-05, 01:18
C-A-S-E of Death - that was completely uncalled for and very cruel. If it was meant to be a joke it wasn't funny......Congratulations on new kittens Linzi and I hope all goes well,

Yeah, you're right. But you've got to admit his ratio of good:bad posts is in favour of the former. I say rock on COD.

brandy
29-May-05, 08:26
hiya... yup liz has it right.. touch them as little as possible the first couple weeks.. once their eyes are open and they are moving around indipendantly.. then i would let the mama cat know you want to touch them.. just remember to keep an eye on her if she feels threatened at all she will move the kittens to where you may never find them!!!

Taymar
29-May-05, 10:10

Maybe we should try this with you first! !

Margaret M.
29-May-05, 15:14
Great advice, Liz, you obviously work with animal rescue - good for you! The website that Jings posted is a good one. CASE, your comment is so unnecessary.

linzy222
29-May-05, 17:44
Thanx everyone for the advice, well apart from u CASE [mad]

They r so lovely so if anyone wants one we have 3 left to go to homes in 8 weeks, don't know what they r yet but i will let u know

We r keeping one,one is going to Aberdeen and a nice lady on caithness org wants one

Liz i will think about the spay and give u a ring

Thanx again

Linzy

linzy222
29-May-05, 17:48
Forgot to say that mum is doing really well and she is taking care of them brilliant, she purrs the whole time, she is well happy

:) :) :) :)

©Amethyst
29-May-05, 21:31
So glad to hear they're coming along nicely. I've wanted another cat for sooooooo long. So's my nana... the grandfather won't have it though :(

brokencross
29-May-05, 22:08
I would love to help you but my advice would be a bit useless, ages ago we had two white albino rabbits, Bill and Ben. I loved them to death, however one morning I went out to feed them and was shocked to find a family of 2 adults and eight white baby bunnies. Pets and good care ain't my thing......sorry