PDA

View Full Version : Honey Testing?

SkozkrHorgr
18-Aug-16, 21:55
I've just been reading an online report (www.rt.com) regarding the finding of higher levels than normal of caesium-137 (14times higher) in honey tested from the Dounreay area. They say its still well within human consumption levels, but it doesn't say why they were testing honey for it. I'm not trying to scaremonger, I'm interested because I'm into beekeeping and it's the first time I've heard of anything like this. Can anyone shed any further light on this?

sids
18-Aug-16, 23:06
I've just been reading an online report (www.rt.com) regarding the finding of higher levels than normal of caesium-137 (14times higher) in honey tested from the Dounreay area. They say its still well within human consumption levels, but it doesn't say why they were testing honey for it. I'm not trying to scaremonger, I'm interested because I'm into beekeeping and it's the first time I've heard of anything like this. Can anyone shed any further light on this?

ww.rt.com is a looney website, with no Dounreay honey report found by searching.

Tell me what further light you require to be shed.

theone
18-Aug-16, 23:10
I'm happy to hear it's well within human consumption levels.

Have you got a link to the report? Not the Russian website but to the actual report?

Who did the study, who paid for it, and what defines "the dounreay area"?

SkozkrHorgr
19-Aug-16, 08:53
Hi, I dug a little further and found the report dated back to November last year and was reported on by the Times www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/scotland/article4602246.ece and the findings were published in the U.K. government’s Radioactivity In Food and the Environment report. www.gov.uk/government/publications/radioactivity-in-food-and-the-environment-2014-rife-20

All I was interested in was if the beekeeper was aware that their honey was tested in that way, or are bees kept on the dounreay site?

Regards

Bystander1
19-Aug-16, 09:27
I am surprised that this has not been in the public domain before today. Residents of the Dounreay area are well aware of the increased patrols by C.N.C. officers and the deployment of these very bulked up LandRover type vehicles.
The increased police activity has nothing to do with any terrorist threat but is a direct response to the alarming sightings of aggressive mutant honey bees, especially around Sandside beach.
There are unconfirmed reports of these very large carnivores swarming in the Fresgoe harbour area and the public should be warned of the dangers, particularly to the old or infirm, small dogs, sheep, etc.
A C.N.C. spokesperson admits that their officers are finding it problematic to shoot down these creatures with their standard 5.56mm round and Government is considering the deployment of heavy 'ack-ack' type weapons to ensure the safety of local residents.

sids
19-Aug-16, 09:53
are bees kept on the dounreay site?

There were some effin bees working in the canteen at one time.

SkozkrHorgr
19-Aug-16, 10:15
I am surprised that this has not been in the public domain before today. Residents of the Dounreay area are well aware of the increased patrols by C.N.C. officers and the deployment of these very bulked up LandRover type vehicles.
The increased police activity has nothing to do with any terrorist threat but is a direct response to the alarming sightings of aggressive mutant honey bees, especially around Sandside beach.
There are unconfirmed reports of these very large carnivores swarming in the Fresgoe harbour area and the public should be warned of the dangers, particularly to the old or infirm, small dogs, sheep, etc.
A C.N.C. spokesperson admits that their officers are finding it problematic to shoot down these creatures with their standard 5.56mm round and Government is considering the deployment of heavy 'ack-ack' type weapons to ensure the safety of local residents.

Love it! Twin 50cal's should do the trick! Air support from Lossiemouth if necessary, and any local found collaborating with the bees should be shipped to Stroma for testing.

SkozkrHorgr
19-Aug-16, 10:16
There were some effin bees working in the canteen at one time.

Was this for honey on your porridge?

Scunner
19-Aug-16, 13:48
I thought 'effinbee' was in France

Rheghead
21-Aug-16, 17:19
If you had a choice between honey and honey with 14 times higher than normal levels of caesium-137 which one would you choose?

Alrock
21-Aug-16, 19:11
If you had a choice between honey and honey with 14 times higher than normal levels of caesium-137 which one would you choose?

The caesium-137 one of course... Eating radioactive honey might give me superpowers & I will become Beeman.

SkozkrHorgr
21-Aug-16, 20:18
The caesium-137 one of course... Eating radioactive honey might give me superpowers & I will become Beeman.

Wonder if you would glow, like the old reddie brek adverts.

tonkatojo
22-Aug-16, 12:14

I presume the caesium-137 one will now be reduced in price with the bad publicity so for me it is a no-brainer, the cheap one, and yes read into that what you want.

sids
22-Aug-16, 20:32

It would probably be random, because I wouldn't know.

How does the "exposure" compare with bananas or Brazil nuts?

Dadie
23-Aug-16, 00:09
Im doomed!
Love honey (local for hayfever prevention).
Eat venison and wild mushrooms...
Love brazil nuts and bananas...and use lo salt!
Sod it all, Im going to Aberdeen to live, and let the radon get me instead!
Or go to Marbs and let the sun take its toll on me instead.
Or let the high levels of heavy metals get me with the intake of oily fish ..tuna is bad ..get me instead.
Or let pokemon go get the better of me and walk infront of a bus..