PDA

View Full Version : Pulteney heating?

hotrod4
07-May-07, 13:02
I was under the impression that the new heating system was coming past my house in Argyle square. It doesnt look that way as they are currently making their way down Browns place.
Does any1 know if there are any plans that i can view that will tell me if its coming down my way?

rfr10
07-May-07, 13:42
They are going down Brown Street, along Befoy Street, down dempster street and heading off towards the hospital if I understand correctly.

ashaw1
07-May-07, 22:30
My husband has just pointed out that if you look around the local area you will see that the roads are all marked out along the route of the new heating system. I know along Sinclair Terrace is marked, i live in Breadalbane and they seem to be missing us too.

hotrod4
08-May-07, 15:36
I have just seen the map for the routes around Pulteney and i am not a happy bunny!!

It seems that a Hotel and a supermarket will benefit from this heating.
This seems unfair to me as the scheme is subsidises by government agencies that we pay tax to. It seems 2 businesses will benefit from the scheme while tax paying householders will miss out, this smacks as being unfair to me.

Surely this is not correct as the idea for the scheme was to heat houses and government buildings that we all can use, i.e hosplital, library, Swimming pool, High School, (which i fully support)but these are 2 private business' that will save money and make more profit at my and others loss?

I wonder how the other business' feel regards this i bet they wont be happy.

co-incedentally the hotel in question has links with a councillor who used to manage there and is involved with the scheme, maybe I am just cynical but is something funny going on?

The map is availble to view on this site by clicking http://www.caithness.org/chap/photogallery/photos.htm?3?1

Cedric Farthsbottom III
08-May-07, 15:48
Thought this scheme was eventually goin to be put out to the whole of Wick and maybe even try a Thurso venture.Maybe a dreamt it.....don't think so though.

Bill Fernie
09-May-07, 09:42
If you look carefully at the map you will see that the streets where pipes are now being laid are marked although they are not very clear. The main buildings porposed are also marked.

The spread of the scheme is phased and requires a high level of capital investment. The scheme has been carefully planned and has the ultimate goal of covering the whole of Wick but funding was only in place for the intial phases. The pipes are being laid along various streets but the capital to instal to individual homes has not yet been sourced. Getting the system to larger area of the town taking in some ofthe larger buildings is part of the way of getting furtherout round one side of the town.

The buildings shown in blue have been in the plan from the start due no doubt to their size and location. The scheme eventually has to be self -financing although grants have been given to get the whole thing started and further funding will be sought to expand the scheme.

An important part of phase two is the hospital. The hospital has very large boilers that can be used in the event of a problem at the main source to act as a back-up to the system. Also the hospital requires to modernise its heating system with major capital investment. The timing is just right to have the hospital - a major building in the town - linked to the system. Big savings are envisaged for the hospital once it is linked in.

The fact ot taking in businesses to the scheme is part of the spread of the scheme around the town and is planned. However they will have to pay for their connection like anyone else and pay for the heating at much higher rates than householders dependent on the size of their installation and how much heat etc they are likely to draw down.

Although there are subsidies going in the scheme is a business and to survive it will have to ensure that its income can match the costs. Part of the planning of the scheme is to ensure that larger users can be incorporated in order to bring in more revenue to help the sceheme to spread. The location of the pipework and particular buildings on that route have all been carefully chosen as being strategic in assisting the scheme spread out and matching the financial requirements to enable the company to continue to spread out across the town.

Residents and businesses can assist the scheme by registering an interest in having a link to the schem if the pipe are located in the street they are in. Contact Caithness Heat and Power to give details of name address and phone number. This will greatly assist the company as they will get better idea of how many people are likley to want to be linked. It is obviously cheaper to link as many people as possible in a street at the same time than to have to return to link home one at a time. No date is yet available regarding when links to the scheme in the streets now getting pipework will happen. CHAP still need to raise the capital as well as getting as many people as possible interested in having it installed. Obviously the more people who take it in the early stages the more efficiencies there are and costs might be lower but the company cannot force anyone to have system installed.

I have asked that the company look at putting out a more detailed statement as to where they are now and this will be put to the directors in the near future.

lhm
09-May-07, 22:04
I think a lot of people should think long and hard about if they should go for this heating as at the moment it is running on oil which is no greener type of heating than anything else also it must be running at a severe cost at the moment as it is using a lot of oil and no one knows how it will run on the wood chips as yet also the price of wood chip has increased a lot since this scheme was first started and chap have only fixed a price a short term what happens after the fixed price term passes and you have to pay for the heating 52 weeks of the year and also once you take this heating you are stuck with it no matter what it costs.