PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful scotland

Solus
07-May-07, 00:00
We might not get the weather like our English friends, or Europe for that matter and wait that bit longer for spring to arrive but in a very short space of time over this weekend i went from coastal views to rolling hills, beaches to rivers, forests to heather, and the final the cairngorms in view ! Clear blue skies:) all the way.

visor cracked open a bit, cool fresh air blasting my senses, just a shame never got a bit of Caithness in there..........but what a cracker of a country !

j4bberw0ck
07-May-07, 09:12
I did that last weekend - ferry over to Gills and then across and back in a big loop via Durness, Scourie, Lairg and Golspie. Oh and of course the ice-cream place in Brora :cool: . Fantastic riding round in the sun and on almost traffic-free roads, too.

And sights like this:

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/6821/durnesscompressed2nm8.jpg

lynne duncan
07-May-07, 10:07
where is photo from couldn't recognise it but would love to take the bairns there

WeeBurd
07-May-07, 10:40
where is photo from couldn't recognise it but would love to take the bairns there

Is it Rispond? It's absolutely gorgeous - who needs foreign holidays! [lol]

porshiepoo
07-May-07, 11:04
Where is that beach? I wanna go :)

Rheghead
07-May-07, 11:20
It is a mile or so east of Durness. I'm sure there was a battered statue of liberty on the horizon at one time...:)

Solus
07-May-07, 11:20
Nice one Afraid i had the traffic you missed !!!!!

Is that Melness ?

j4bberw0ck
07-May-07, 11:57
Is it Rispond? It's absolutely gorgeous - who needs foreign holidays! [lol]

Good spot, Weeburd - Rispond it is; about 3 miles east of Durness. I turned up the Rispond road to take it, looking back towards the "main" road. Turning the bike round on a narrow road with potholes and lots of loose gravel was, er, interesting (Solus will understand!). I took 3 overlapping images and merged / cropped them.

If anyone wants a copy of the full size pic you're very welcome. It's about 8 Mb.

MadPict
07-May-07, 12:15
I did that last weekend - ferry over to Gills and then across and back in a big loop via Durness, Scourie, Lairg and Golspie. Oh and of course the ice-cream place in Brora :cool: . Fantastic riding round in the sun and on almost traffic-free roads, too.

Wow, you came over to the mainland for traffic free roads?[lol]

We spent a great week in Orkney a couple of years ago and the roads were great. The only traffic "jams" we encountered was the "rush hour" out of Kirkwall one day! Must have been all of a half dozen cars...

It was my wife's first proper visit (other than a day trip across to visit relatives) and she fell in love with the place. Weather was kind so it helped the impression but she has seen fair and foul during our many visits to Caithness.

But I realise fresh roads help to clear the mind and hone your skills...

Solus
07-May-07, 12:15
loose gravel :eek: all of a sudden something puckers up so much there is a suction mark on the seat !

j4bberw0ck
07-May-07, 12:22
I know that feeling all too well. Got onto some on Saturday - surface dressing (on a corner, round a road-edge repair) that was fine gravel a few mm across. Of course the man with the shovel decided if one spadeful = good, then three must be evidence of his dedication, and he'd thrown it all over the road...... couldn't see it until too late as it was the same colour as the road surface. Rear wheel stepped out a good few inches.......... thought for a horrible moment I might be using the fairing for brakes again :eek::eek:.

Solus
07-May-07, 12:24
:eek:
Certainly wakes you up !!

thought for a horrible moment I might be using the fairing for brakes again
:confused

horseman
07-May-07, 13:30
I know that feeling all too well. Got onto some on Saturday - surface dressing (on a corner, round a road-edge repair) that was fine gravel a few mm across. Of course the man with the shovel decided if one spadeful = good, then three must be evidence of his dedication, and he'd thrown it all over the road...... couldn't see it until too late as it was the same colour as the road surface. Rear wheel stepped out a good few inches.......... thought for a horrible moment I might be using the fairing for brakes again :eek::eek:.

Know just what you mean,last time I came off was due to not seeing the dreaded gravel in the middle of the road.

That was a long time back, but I mind it like it was yesterday.