PDA

View Full Version : Parental Rights

Ash
06-May-07, 15:56
i need some advice, if your childs biogical father isnt on the birth certificate and he has never been apart of ur childs life, does he have any rights
also what do i have to do til make my partner a legal guardian:Razz

Max
06-May-07, 16:00
Citizens Advice Bureau will be able to help you - I think you can email them for information.

Dreamweaver
06-May-07, 16:13
Not sure about the legal guardian bit but if the child's father is not shown on the birth certificate then he has no parental rights.

Ash
06-May-07, 16:14
hey thanks, i have mailed citizens advice :D

mccaugm
06-May-07, 20:00
Citizens Advice Bureau will be able to help you - I think you can email them for information.

Also a good website to look at is

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/index.htm

Good Luck!

Ash
06-May-07, 20:07
thank u xx

johno
06-May-07, 22:34
maybe im wrong here but sooner or later the child will want
to know who the natural dad is. perhaps it will be a let down or it may be something good, but i think human curiosity will force this, and would it not be better to tell the child as soon as he or she is capable of understanding
because it will come about and the sooner told the easier it must be to deal with it. i think it,s best to be open & honest with these matters.

Ash
07-May-07, 08:56
i have every intention on letting my little girl who is only 3know who her father is, i am with someone else who has brought her up he is her daddy, i just needed advice from the legal side as i want him to be a legal guardian, we havent heard from her so called father in 3years! he wasnt there through my awful pregnancy or when my daughter was 3months premmature....any one can be a father but it takes someone special to be a daddy!

Alice in Blunderland
07-May-07, 09:35
I have had dealings with parental rights and the mother I believe has to sign and lodge the paperwork in Edinburgh the biological father must also sign a section. I was lead to believe that the biological father can make an application but if the mother doesnt co-operate he then has to go to court. :)

rockchick
07-May-07, 10:44
Wouldn't the easiest way to make your partner a legal guardian be to have him adopt the child with you?

Ash
07-May-07, 11:09
how do i do that ... there isnt alot of info on it

johno
07-May-07, 18:28
i have every intention on letting my little girl who is only 3know who her father is, i am with someone else who has brought her up he is her daddy, i just needed advice from the legal side as i want him to be a legal guardian, we havent heard from her so called father in 3years! he wasnt there through my awful pregnancy or when my daughter was 3months premmature....any one can be a father but it takes someone special to be a daddy! you are perfectly correct in what you say, i just meant that when the time is right a child has the right to know i wasnt demeaning you in any way. many children grow up and find these things in later life and are thrown by it. i can tell by your post that things have been difficult for you and that you have come through it well. i was talking generally

Ash
07-May-07, 20:49
thank u xx:)

shanstar
08-May-07, 16:05
if ur kids father isn't on the birth certificate why not see about getting ur partners name on it by saying he is the legal father the kid will then have two certificates and when she is old enough to be told u can explane it to her go to ur local reg office and ask about putting ur partner on the certificate by saying that he's the kids dad and u would like his name on the birth certificate the only other way is for him to adopt the kid and there is nothing the childs father can do as he isn't on the certificate

Ash
08-May-07, 17:10
can u do that? didnt know u could?

johno
08-May-07, 18:07
can u do that? didnt know u could?
i was thinking that lines myself, so long as the natural father does,nt find out
whos hurt, no one. and if like you say he ,s not interested just dont tell him
he,s lost out anyway by his own missgivings .so long as your partner agrees you can say that he is the dad. who can argue that, he seems to be doing the job anyway. and as said in last post you can come clean with your daughter at the proper time. mind you it,ll take some explaining.
you just do what you think best for you and your family.
and good luck johno :o)

Ash
08-May-07, 18:10
ok.... gonna look into it

thank u everyone! xxx;)

itsteven
08-May-07, 18:37
hi ash i have a son to somone thats never seen him and the guy i am with now is his dad and thats all hes known and now he has sisters thats all hes known i must say that his so called father has not botherd with his own son so good on you when the time is right to tell all your the person that will know good luck :D

Ash
08-May-07, 19:20
im glad someone feels the same as me, thank u xx:Razz

DeHaviLand
09-May-07, 00:08
i was thinking that lines myself, so long as the natural father does,nt find out
whos hurt, no one. and if like you say he ,s not interested just dont tell him
he,s lost out anyway by his own missgivings .so long as your partner agrees you can say that he is the dad. who can argue that, he seems to be doing the job anyway. and as said in last post you can come clean with your daughter at the proper time. mind you it,ll take some explaining.
you just do what you think best for you and your family.
and good luck johno :o)

I would be careful about making a fraudulent declaration on a legal form. It would be much better to get the right advice and follow it to the letter.
Its simply not worth breaking the law just to make a point, and to make things easier for yourself. Also, have you considered the implications of lying to your child in this way?

triger
09-May-07, 03:48
Hi Ash,for what it's worth in the long run,dont get caught in a slanging match here on the org.dont lower you self to his standards in reality<father>.Let her know every thing as her age will permit her to understand and she will respect you all the more as she gets older.all the best,trg

Ash
09-May-07, 10:54
thanks for the advice everyone, but im going to seek legal advice

shanstar
14-May-07, 15:20
Good on you and good luck to you and your partner

Ash
14-May-07, 16:13
Good on you and good luck to you and your partner

thank u i value everyones comments and support, xxxxxx:Razz

Tony
14-May-07, 21:35
I forwarded some info via your email on Parental rights in Scotland as this is such a large text file. Hope it helps and good luck.
If further info is required just let me know.:D

johno
14-May-07, 22:55
I would be careful about making a fraudulent declaration on a legal form. It would be much better to get the right advice and follow it to the letter.
Its simply not worth breaking the law just to make a point, and to make things easier for yourself. Also, have you considered the implications of lying to your child in this way?
maybe so, was never in this predicament, but i wonder how many mothers have lied to their husbands & to the authorities and are still doing so ???.
in this instance wheres the harm, the natural dad does,nt seem to be interested anyway so i [personally] think that Ash aught to to make her own mind here.

DeHaviLand
14-May-07, 23:14
maybe so, was never in this predicament, but i wonder how many mothers have lied to their husbands & to the authorities and are still doing so ???.
in this instance wheres the harm, the natural dad does,nt seem to be interested anyway so i [personally] think that Ash aught to to make her own mind here.

Thats very sad Johno that you seem to be advocating that Ash break the law. However as Ash has already said that she plans to take proper legal advice, then your post is unnecessary.

johno
15-May-07, 09:26
Thats very sad Johno that you seem to be advocating that Ash break the law. However as Ash has already said that she plans to take proper legal advice, then your post is unnecessary.
Well friend, that,s as may be, if we lived in a perfect world, these actions would,nt occur, but as we live in this flawed world we do what we have to do . anyway its hardly a crime since the natural dad has,nt even bothered to register the baby in his name.Ash is only doing the best that she can for your family.i dont see this as a crime giving her child the stability & legallity of a family.
Lets put it to a vote. in Ashlies position the father of her child never has taken any interest in his offspring never contacted her or the child never once provided maintinence or concern. has never even taken steps to place his name on the child. where her new partner is a loving
caring parent and has accepted the wee girl as his own
How many of you people out there would do what Ash is fixing on doing. :(

Ash
15-May-07, 11:54
hello everyone, i started this thread as i need advice, thank you for everyones advice, please dont be arguing about it, its a difficult subject.... if i did it and lied i would be constantly worrying, so like i said we are going to do it properly, thank u again x:)

DeHaviLand
15-May-07, 23:42
hello everyone, i started this thread as i need advice, thank you for everyones advice, please dont be arguing about it, its a difficult subject.... if i did it and lied i would be constantly worrying, so like i said we are going to do it properly, thank u again x:)

Well done Ash and good luck with everything