PDA

View Full Version : Best "non local" shop in town

DSTOTM
23-Jul-16, 22:32
Where are you happiest shopping in Thurso and why?

CO-OP
Tesco
NISA
Lidl

Personally, I find Tesco a very cold shop..... I always feel cold in there........ the staff are "OK" but their prices are just insane (the products / not the staff)

I like the CO-OP, it's a warm place to shop. The staff are VERY friendly (once you get to know them) BUT thin on the ground.... the constant "walkie talkie" somebody needed at the kiosk thing really urinates me off.

Lidl is a colourful place and their "bakers" are second to none..... they know how to finish off part cooked bread.... I never feel cold in Lidl.

Nisa is warm but their products cater toward the "grab and eat" market, not somewhere I frequent often unless I have an insatiable urge for a Findus crispy pancake.

I would probably class myself as a "lidl" man with the CO-OP coming second..... that's just because I have a soft spot for Wendy in the post office but she'll never know it ;)

Where do you do your "non local" / global incomer shopping and what is your reasoning for choosing your shopping place?

DSTOTM
23-Jul-16, 22:49
And you.... who claimed I was "DSTOTM" in Semi Chem this afternoon....... NO...... it's not me ;)

riggerboy
24-Jul-16, 08:14
brirons I like birons its a great wee shop with everything you need apart from food and such like, but im sure they would make you a coffee if you asked,

I think its a boot up the ares to homebase

DSTOTM
24-Jul-16, 20:13
brirons I like birons its a great wee shop with everything you need apart from food and such like, but im sure they would make you a coffee if you asked,

I think its a boot up the ares to homebase

Is that in Wick?

riggerboy
25-Jul-16, 08:48
aye on the high street, cracking we hardware shop, owned by a welsh family, so I consider it a NOT local shop

pat
25-Jul-16, 11:10
Aye Riggerboy - they may be originally Welsh but they have been here quite some years and are helping their community by running this shop which having visited it I find absolutely cracking local shop, just like the old ironmongers I grew up with locally - D R Simpsons (yes the original family were ironmongers) in High Street and R S Waters on Bridge Street, both of which are now closed.
As far as I am concerned they are now part of the community in Caithness - despite their original origins, they are Caithnessians through and through.

janeyj
25-Jul-16, 12:30
I would say a local shop is one run by people who live locally no matter where they originate. I guess a 'non local' shop (as DSTOTM would call it) is a national retailer. As for the local shops I'm not sure I feel it's important whether a shop is run by Welsh, English, Scots or Poles etc. At the end of the day if they are providing a good service then that's all that matters.......especially up here where choice can be limited. We should just be grateful the business is there shouldn't we? I'm not a historian, so stand to be corrected, but aren't we ALL incomers anyway.

Have a great day.

Janey

cullpacket
25-Jul-16, 15:26
I would say a local shop is one run by people who live locally no matter where they originate. I guess a 'non local' shop (as DSTOTM would call it) is a national retailer. As for the local shops I'm not sure I feel it's important whether a shop is run by Welsh, English, Scots or Poles etc. At the end of the day if they are providing a good service then that's all that matters.......especially up here where choice can be limited. We should just be grateful the business is there shouldn't we? I'm not a historian, so stand to be corrected, but aren't we ALL incomers anyway.

Have a great day.

Janey

Exactly !!!!!!!

poppett
25-Jul-16, 15:38
NISA in Thurso is run by a local couple. I was in school with them both.

theone
25-Jul-16, 15:53
I'm not a historian, so stand to be corrected, but aren't we ALL incomers anyway.

I believe that, in Caithness, you lose the 'incomer' tag when you've got 4 grandparents in a local cemetery.

riggerboy
26-Jul-16, 17:59
I believe that, in Caithness, you lose the 'incomer' tag when you've got 4 grandparents in a local cemetery.

you never lose the incomer tag, ever ever ever, an incomer is an incomer, period, hahahhaha

hang em all I say

DSTOTM
26-Jul-16, 22:51
you never lose the incomer tag, ever ever ever, an incomer is an incomer, period, hahahhaha

hang em all I say

So..... an incomer dies and is buried in Caithness is an outgoer?

We are all outgoers waiting to happen ;)