PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new business.....

KCI
05-May-07, 17:46
Just wondering if anyone here has started their own business?

If so, was it worth it?
Who are the best people to contact for advice about how/where to start, and what you need to do etc?
Are there any Start up Grants, Business Grants etc that you can ask about?
How can you carry out research about your idea, to see if it would be worth starting, without other people taking your idea?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

footie chick
05-May-07, 17:51
Case is a good place to start they should be able to keep you right. ~Business start up grants are available as long as you are not setting up in direct competition to anyone else. Also the tax office are very helpful and can put you on course to show you what you should be doing.

Good luck.

KCI
05-May-07, 18:11
Thanks for that - I'll check it out.

My idea wouldn't be in any kind of competition with anyone - it's a totally new venture, and I think it could work in Caithness.

Thanks again.

Bill Fernie
05-May-07, 18:15
A few basics here - http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=15709

webmannie
05-May-07, 18:56
If you do contact CASE with a unique idea make sure you are in total control of PR.

'Peat Reek' went to them for funding for an unique idea, CASE put out a press release, it got picked up world wide. I thought it was a crying shame, massive interest in their product but they weren't ready to sell to the marketplace yet.

Hibeechick
05-May-07, 19:06
I started up my own business. Wouldn't have it any other way! Well apart from maybe shorter hours and more money lol!

I didn't get any funding. Did it all on my own! I would contact CASE and possible even the Prince's Trust perhaps?

Bobinovich
05-May-07, 19:51
Thread posed previously (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=16277) - you might get some useful information there...

KCI
05-May-07, 19:56
Thanks for the help everyone.

I'm going to contact Case first of all, and see how I get on.
Fingers crossed!!