PDA

View Full Version : Driving Instructor

bounce
13-Jul-16, 19:31
Is there any driving instructor that will come to Mey to take regular lessons.?

DSTOTM
13-Jul-16, 21:25
Is there any driving instructor that will come to Mey to take regular lessons.?

Does he / she have to be a qualified driving instructor or would you be willing to take lessons from somebody who has driven on the roads for 30 years without incident?

J1985
14-Jul-16, 19:26
Thats no your biggest problem bounce, i passed my theory a couple months back and booked my practical with the idea of getting lessons inbetween only to discover theres crazy waiting lists for every instructor i've tried, did get one cancellation but other than that its just been a co driver.. If you find one give me a pm please.

fizzy1x
17-Jul-16, 13:27
yha i was told theres a 6 months waitting list

bounce
17-Jul-16, 19:02
Now theres a good opportunity for someone to make a few quid start a driving school on a franchise

J1985
17-Jul-16, 19:53
Now theres a good opportunity for someone to make a few quid start a driving school on a franchise

Aye the guy i got the cancellation with said theres 2 instructors just retired this year and the others have took on there bookings and thats why the waiting lists are upto 6 months, the guy i had even has 16 year olds booked in for next year when they hit 17 so deffo a gap in the market for someone

DSTOTM
17-Jul-16, 21:20
I recently taught my 51 year old friend to drive and he passed first time but sitting in a car for 10 hours a day teaching different people is another matter..... it's actually harder teaching as you are the one who is doing the teaching, watching the learner, watching the roads etc. take your eye off the situation for one second and you could end up in a field. The insurance is astronomical and it's damned hard work being a full time driving instructor, most of them are doing 12 hours per day seven days per week. It's not the "earner" that some think it is and it's no wonder there are a shortage of instructors.... if it was "lucrative" you can bet your bottom dollar there would be no waiting lists.

I love driving and passed my advanced driving test (about 20 years ago) but no way would I want to spend 12 hours per day sitting in the passenger seat to make a living.... the £20 (average) hourly lesson isn't £20 to the driving instructor..... factor in the cost and upkeep of the car, the petrol, the insurance etc. and you may well find your average driving instructor works an 84 hour week and probably gets about £1,100 (after tax) for his / her efforts. That equates to about £550 per week for a 40 hour week which is good but definitely not worth the stress.

bounce, don't you have any friends or family that would be willing to take you out a few times? Get you used to the clutch and gears (and brakes!)...... once you get used to what makes the car go and stop (and understand / feel at one with your vehicle) all you have to do then is learn how to steer and read the roads..... that's an ongoing / lifelong learning curve.

My advice would be to get some starter lessons from anybody (friends / family) who is a qualified "good" driver and by the time you have mastered the rudimentary skills then book a few lessons with a view to passing your driving test. By the way, "passing" your test doesn't mean you are a good driver, it's just an entry point into the never ending learning curve that is the driving experience.

J1985
23-Jul-16, 06:54
Yeah i have to agree, theres no way i could be a driving instructor, almost putting your life in the hands of a stranger really. Dread to think on the insurance too, also believe they got to do a big theory test with arond 100 questions with pretty much no margine for error... Yeah i've been fourtunate enough to have my own car and access to a co-driver quite regular, my top tip is get a bossy co driver, you don't want to be fighting in the car but deffo need someone who isnt shy in pointing out mistakes ect otherwise you pick up all the bad habbits.