PDA

View Full Version : Advice on excessive growth of Moss on house roof.

gollach1
10-Jul-16, 23:29
Would anyone know the best thing to do to remove the Moss on our roof?

Would anyone know any contractors that would be able to treat this problem?

Thank you

janeyj
11-Jul-16, 08:14
A couple of years ago the moss was removed from the roof of a bungalow near us. I remember a guy walking over the roof with a power washer. So I guess its not exactly a skilled job......just someone with a power washer and a head for heights.

Mosser
11-Jul-16, 15:22
Wick Blast did our roof and sealed the tiles to prevent more moss growth, worked a treat.

hells_belle
11-Jul-16, 16:14
prop corn will get rid of it for keeps:)

RUNT
12-Jul-16, 22:46
We had ours power washed by the local firm and our tiles were cracked and broken after and they leaked like crazy.

My advice now; buy a moss killer and have it sprayed that way it will die off naturally and fall out and won't be blasted off

Another thing that works is to attach hooks or nails to either apex of you gables and run a length of copper wire accross your roof.

Copper kills moss and when it rains the run off from the copper strip will ooze over your roof killing new spores

Recycle it
13-Jul-16, 07:30
A high build up of moss is a sign that the top weather coating on the tile is well passed its sell by date .Marley tiles (which you see all over Caithness and on EX UkAEA houses) are over sixty years old and 20 years passed their best . The only long term solution is to replace it ,some insurance companies won't pay out for storm damage if the roof is in a state of neglect.

in the passed Marley did recycle old whole tiles by Cleaning them and re-dipping to add a new weather layer ,but the recycled tile could only be used for non live in properties like garages and out buildings . The system worked well but roofing companies just dump them and won't allow even us to collect and re-use ,which is a pity.

CELTIC,CONNECTIONS
18-Jul-16, 22:36
Wick blast
also try fitting some copper flashing help keep at bay

hope this helps

J1985
20-Jul-16, 22:14
My advice is don't touch the moss unless it's seriously taking over the roof, bit of a catch 22 but it's alot less damage than removing it, the moss keeps moisture out and once removerd unless done with tweezers it lossens tiles ect, and that magic rubbish they claim cures it is nonsence aswell, works short term but again does more bad than good long term.

DSTOTM
20-Jul-16, 23:02
My advice is don't touch the moss unless it's seriously taking over the roof, bit of a catch 22 but it's alot less damage than removing it, the moss keeps moisture out and once removed unless done with tweezers it loosens tiles ect, and that magic rubbish they claim cures it is nonsence as well, works short term but again does more bad than good long term.

Agreed, the moss requires moisture to survive so is actually the best natural roof preservative you can get...... it's free too!

2little2late
21-Jul-16, 00:27
You can buy copper flashing that fits onto the apex of the roof. When it rains the copper releases electrolytes and prevents moss growth. I know because a friend of mine had a mossy roof and after fitting the flashing no longer has moss. It works a treat, although you will have to remove what moss is there first. I can't see how moss can keep moisture out because when it rains the moss soaks water up, logical when you think about it.

DSTOTM
21-Jul-16, 13:58
http://www.nfrc.co.uk/article/2012/09/07/moss-on-your-roof-advice

DSTOTM
21-Jul-16, 13:59
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/advice/3336083/Property-clinic-ignore-the-myths-love-your-moss.html