PDA

View Full Version : Thurso East

brew
05-May-07, 12:00
on thursday me and my partner took our 3year old girl a walk to thurso east, its such a beautiful place but parts of the beach are full of rubbish, its everywhere i know that some of it cannot be helped due to the location, but surely it should be kept tidy, luckily my wee girl didnt notice the dead sheep on the beach, let me know if people want to get it tidied up, maybe could organise something

Ash
05-May-07, 14:47
:roll: i totally agree

Dog-eared
05-May-07, 16:15
I go down to that beach regularly and theres not normally a problem with rubbish , it just depends on which way the wind blows onto the coast.

Anyone see the programme about Hawaii and the young Albatrosses that eat rubbish and when they die on their nesting grounds they leave little piles of plastic rubbish once the bodies decay,the plastic being in their stomachs as they cant regurgitate it. It takes up so much space in their stomachs that they die of malnutrition or dehydration.
The adult birds think that anything floating on the ocean is food and feed this to their young. Sad.

Ash
05-May-07, 16:36
im sorry but i disagree i was there few days back and it was a mess, when u come in the gate and also on the grass areas not just the beach

hunter
05-May-07, 20:17
I'd take it up with your local MP and see if he can persuade the land-owner to keep his property tidy

dunderheed
06-May-07, 07:05
when i was younger and staying in ayrshire , the local uniformed groups used to take it upon themselves (along with adult volouenteers) to tidy up the local beaches and rivermouths.

surely with a small donation from the local councills /and or business community towards their funds , these groups up here would do likewise?

Royster1911
06-May-07, 10:45
I'd take it up with your local MP and see if he can persuade the land-owner to keep his property tidy

Are the owners not John Thurso and Maid Marrion????

Solus
06-May-07, 14:38
I once was out at Murkle, just the other year, and what i found was disgusting, a hole had been dug by a digger obviously and at the bottom was four or five rotting sheep carcasses !! the stench was unbelievable ! did not think they could get away with that sort of disposal of animals ?

Ash
06-May-07, 14:51
its awful, thurso east never used to be that bad, its a beautiful place, but the rubbish and dead animal can be off putting, my little girl loves the place, but not keen on taking her alot as its getting worse! MPs want us to vote for them but yet they are doing nothing to help clean up the town, if i knew i could help to clean it i would,

simpsoney
06-May-07, 23:29
The local MP's is John Thurso and he is the land owner!!! I am pretty sure the ground belongs to the Estate.
I too am disgusted about the state of the shore at Thurso East. I have been going there for years. Last year for the surfing competition some of us got togethre to tidy the place up a bit but that was off our own backs. A lot of the rubbish comes from fishermen throwing their rubbish over the side and the wind blows it into Thurso East. I agree something should be done. It is beautiful down their.

pat
07-May-07, 09:36
Doesn't the high tide area belong to the Queen?
Here in Stornoway we have a person employed by the Harbour Trust/MCA who come around a few of the beaches and collect the plastic, rope etc. Most of the rubbish has been lost? overboard - buckets, gloves, oil containers, plastic bottles and bags
I have 2 beaches near where I live, the amount of rubbish removed every two weeks is incredible. The approach to harbour here was recently dredged - bikes, car engines, just about everything was found - people too lazy to dispose of things correctly.
When I first moved here I took a black bag with me as I walked the shore, took a bag full of plastic home every day - recycling came, I was not going to clean all the plastic before disposing of it so stopped collecting. Wish folk would be more careful what they do with their rubbish.