PDA

View Full Version : a new caithness

GALTAQUAY
04-May-07, 23:17
with all this change and development in caithness new council etc will the folk of caithness keep up or be swept away as our lovely caithness changes some say its for the best change that is but will we be forgotten and ignored ,or is the changes for us ,change is good and folk can prosper i only hope that investment and regeneration shall make caithness even more a lovely place to live

sweetheart
04-May-07, 23:25
It remains caithness today, but in a few short years, it will be called 'wind farm', and remembered for little else.

GALTAQUAY
04-May-07, 23:46
will caithness have a voice at last and be listend to and not forgotten ,or will it be like the old saying a new broom sweeps clean ,

MadPict
05-May-07, 01:12
New name for Caithness - Gaoth Baile?.....

Hope that's right....

crayola
05-May-07, 01:16
Yay MadPict, tradesman of the literali, methinks you are in dire need of lessons in the Gaelic. :lol:

5/10 for effort.

MadPict
05-May-07, 01:20
Correct me then Crayola - I am always willing to learn ;)

Better 5/10 for effort, than not even trying :D

crayola
05-May-07, 01:24
I am as bad as you but I plan to take lessons. Ask me in six months.

I am like a Mediterranean wind farm; I am full of hot air.

Jeemag_USA
05-May-07, 01:31
Your gaelic basically means Wind Town or Wind Township, think your looking for a word for county rather than Baile which is town.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
05-May-07, 01:40
I like Caithness,but like any place ye can always make it better.I live with 3 Caithnessians,they tell me off everyday for ma accent,just like Mad Pict :lol: .The only Gaelic I know is "Eich ma hoch",just rolls of ma tongue.But when ye get the translation,yer at the toothpaste for a fortnight.:lol:

JAWS
05-May-07, 01:47
With place names like Wick, Thurso, Lybster etc. I would have thought Old Norse would have been more appropriate or even Pictish if anybody still knows the language from before it was eradicated by late-coming foreign invaders.

crayola
05-May-07, 02:00
Grand plan Jaws. My mother taught me the old Norse for "Veni, vidi, vinci"

ABBA, ASDA, ASBO

JAWS
05-May-07, 02:42
I'm jealous, I wish I'd have thought of that one, I love it! [lol]

MadPict
05-May-07, 06:43
Jeemag,
Was thinking of "farm" - baile came up when I used a Scots Gaelic word finder...

JAWS,
As no written record of the Pictish language exists I guess I could just invent the name?....

crayola,
I prefer "Veni, Vidi, Velcro" - "I came, I saw, I stuck around".... :D