PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to plant out veg and flowers?

highlander
04-May-07, 22:15
Lots of my plants seem big enough to be planted outside, runnerbeans, peas, beetroot, lettuce, can i plant them outside, i have small polytunnels, or should i wait, also i have read you pinch off the top of sweetpeas, do i do the same with peas for eating? Any information will be welcome, thank-you.

Scunner
04-May-07, 22:18
Wait a couple of weeks at least before putting tender plants out. Have moved some from the greenhouse to the frames today, but will put extra covers on if there is a fear of frost.

Had lobelia out of the frame about this time last year, and covered with perforated polythene,(from Lydls) but got some of them frosted.

Hope this helps

highlander
04-May-07, 22:30
Thank you scunner, my cold frame is full, so i been taking things out of greenhouse and setting them outside, it just seems to take such a while to do, but i am now thinking if i do plant all flowers and veg at end of the month, my greenhouse will be empty.

dragonfly
05-May-07, 09:11
my father-in-law will never put his plants out until a few days into June as he says theres frost right up until the end of May :confused

stratman
05-May-07, 09:43
I'm in Groats, on the coast obviously, The locals tell me start of May is safe so I started to plant out yesterday. My peas have been out for 2 weeks. Don't go worrying me now!!!!

Dreamweaver
06-May-07, 16:31
We put our out yesterdat, cabbages, calabrese, cauli, tatties, swede. Hoping for the best but you never know, it might snow next week :lol:

stratman
06-May-07, 18:00
do i do the same with peas for eating? Any information will be welcome, thank-you.

No don't do that to normal peas as you want them to gain hight. Good luck

stratman
22-May-07, 21:45
I'm in Groats, on the coast obviously, The locals tell me start of May is safe so I started to plant out yesterday. My peas have been out for 2 weeks. Don't go worrying me now!!!!

Local advice wasn't too hot. Frost last week knocked back my courgettes.
I'll know for next time.

Humerous Vegetable
23-May-07, 10:57
I wouldn't have thought (although I could be wrong here) that there would be much familiarity with growing courgettes outside on the north coast. I used to grow mine in a growbag in the greenhouse before it blew away in March. I have got some plants which I was going to try outside under a cloche but I haven't put them out yet. I put runner beans out about 3 weeks ago, and they seem okay apart from a bit of wind-burn. I think the wind is probably going to be more of a problem for your young plants than frost. Hope your plants recover ok.

stratman
23-May-07, 12:58
I wouldn't have thought (although I could be wrong here) that there would be much familiarity with growing courgettes outside on the north coast. I used to grow mine in a growbag in the greenhouse before it blew away in March. I have got some plants which I was going to try outside under a cloche but I haven't put them out yet. I put runner beans out about 3 weeks ago, and they seem okay apart from a bit of wind-burn. I think the wind is probably going to be more of a problem for your young plants than frost. Hope your plants recover ok.

Thanks Humerous.

I had great success with courgettes last year. My first year in Groats.