PDA

View Full Version : Glory Glory SNP!

Boozeburglar
04-May-07, 20:29
Well done to the fishy ones!

It may not be the change we need, but it is a change none the less!

At least there is a shake up of sorts, and one or two of the policies favoured by the genuine left may get a look in.

To all those who suggest Scotland will never get 'full' independence, remember they were saying the SNP were just fringe politicians once upon a time too!

Good God I am off out for a drink to celebrate, coming Charlie K?

;)

Jeemag_USA
04-May-07, 20:54

At least there is a shake up of sorts, and one or two of the policies favoured by the genuine left may get a look in.

To all those who suggest Scotland will never get 'full' independence, remember they were saying the SNP were just fringe politicians once upon a time too!

;)

Congratulations to the SNP, yes many a moon ago they were looked on with no more respect that the Monster Raving Loony Party!

GO SCOTLAND!!! :Razz

zenmaster
04-May-07, 22:21
It's not healthy for a country to be dominated by one party for so long and a shake up is good for Scotland. While the quality of MSPs is still not great, it's going to be interesting to see how Salmond conducts himself. As someone who doesn't follow politics, I'm now much more interested in what Salmond has to say. Hope I'm not dissappointed.

quirbal
04-May-07, 22:49
Do you not think that Salmond will just become smugger?

emb123
04-May-07, 22:53
Do you not think that Salmond will just become smugger?
Definitely!

Mind you I'll raise a glass to him :)

zenmaster
04-May-07, 23:03
Nothing wrong with confidence - he's going to need it coming up against a hostile Westminster.

quirbal
04-May-07, 23:26
Are we sure that Salmond will become first minister? After all he will have to form a coalition with probably the Lib Dems. Is that likely?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
04-May-07, 23:31
Well Done the SNP.Yer winners in ma eyes,even though the farce continues.Biggest SNP story since the three cheeky CENSORED went into Westminster Abbey and nicked the Stone of Scone.:lol: :lol:

Rheghead
04-May-07, 23:54
Nothing wrong with confidence - he's going to need it coming up against a hostile Westminster.

Who is gonna fire the first shots in the first of hostilities, Holyrood or Westminster?

Jeemag_USA
04-May-07, 23:56
Who is gonna fire the first shots in the first of hostilities, Holyrood or Westminster?

Would have to be Holyrood I reckon, Westminster only fires blanks :cool:

Rheghead
04-May-07, 23:59
Westminster only fires blanks :cool:

Only because it cares!!:Razz

whitechina
05-May-07, 10:26

;)

It seems that many turkeys here in Scotland may have just voted for an early Xmas.

golach
05-May-07, 10:37
It seems that many turkeys here in Scotland may have just voted for an early Xmas.

I could not have put it better myself Whitechina, now where did I put my Emigration papers [lol]

Gogglebox
05-May-07, 12:05
Gordon Brown has to work with Alex Salmond and until the next UK national general election Alex Salmond will have him by the you know whats!

Brown needs to endear himself to the Scottish electorate as Labour UK depend on the Scottish vote to get them back in as it counteracts the Tory heartlands n South east England

So although it may stick in his throat Brown will have to use SNP to make Labour popular or less unpopular in Scotland to save his premiership before hes even started it
The man who has always been destined to be PM may be the shortest tennant of number 10 ever if he does not respect the Scottish Parliament and its incumbent. The people can make him pay!!

After a UK election he could chance dismissing it but again it would be at his peril as it would rebound on Labour Scotland at the next Scottish Elections and SNP would benefit

One of the most interesting periods of politics is about to begin and maybe just maybe the people of Scotland will benefit!! Heres hoping

Just wish SNP had got a few more seats to make it a bit more emphatic and to prevent an anti independance coalition trying to take control of the parliament and thwarting the electorates will

Boozeburglar
05-May-07, 14:23
The majority are still against independence.

I am for it, in some form. I think we should at least have it on the table again properly and see how the debate goes.

The SNP victory will at least serve to force some more sharing of ideas, which cannot be a bad thing.

I think they would be better having joint government, ditch the three/four party politics. We are small enough an electorate to have a more representative democracy.

Now where do I put that X? Oh, yea.

percy toboggan
05-May-07, 17:09
If the SNP grows stronger, building itself from these small signs of a rennaisance in British politics, and if the direction in which it takes you all is left, left, left then I'm afraid within twenty years the failure of it all will produce one mighty backlash. The leftward direction is all very well when confined to the head. In practical terms it has never really worked. Anywhere.

This latest election provided no ringing endorsement of a push for independence - far from it.

This shift in Scottish politics though does throw up all kinds of possibilities for conflict and strife between Westminster & Edinburgh. Opinions will be polarised and hostility hardened. No greater will the cause of national independence be served than within the post industrial, economic powerhouse lying south of Gretna.

All this mess lies at the door of New Labour. A failed experiment.

Jeemag_USA
05-May-07, 17:16
Why are the SNP being considered leftist, I never considered them to be leftist? They have always campaigned on Scottish Independance, never really considered them left or right and actually hope they just march straight down the middle, because the only direction is forward :Razz

Oddquine
05-May-07, 22:13
Why are the SNP being considered leftist, I never considered them to be leftist? :Razz

Maybe it's because Tory and NuLabour are both to the right of Ghengis Khan that even a moderately left of centre party is now deemed left wing.

It kinda makes me laugh considering I spent the seventies and eighties trying to convince people on the doorstep that the SNP weren't Tartan Tories! :lol:

©Amethyst
06-May-07, 14:07
I think I'm gonna move further south now... like... England. (I'm all for independance - I just don't think that Scotland's quite ready for it yet... financially or politically)

Rheghead
06-May-07, 14:45
It kinda makes me laugh considering I spent the seventies and eighties trying to convince people on the doorstep that the SNP weren't Tartan Tories! :lol:

If the country suffers under SNP will you come out and admit you have cocked up?

Oddquine
06-May-07, 15:27
If the country suffers under SNP will you come out and admit you have cocked up?

How I cocked up? :confused

If I had the ability to elect an SNP Government on my own, do you really think I'd have done it by just one seat! [lol]

golach
06-May-07, 15:38
If the country suffers under SNP ?
Rheg what do you mean IF !!

peter macdonald
06-May-07, 16:10
1)Educational fiascos with three separate inquiries into the problems at SQA.
2)Law and order policies in total disarray with record numbers in prison while young neds terrorise towns and villages up and down the country. Local policing now a thing of the past.
3)Billions spent on the NHS but disappears into a bottomless pit of admin and bureaucracy with no tangible improvement in patient services to speak of. Programme of closing local hospitals continues unabated
4)Stealth Tax policies result in overall tax burden rising for most tax payers
5)Flawed anti-terrorism policy makes UK more of a target than ever
6)Total inability to control illegal immigration
7) Ruined private pension schemes by introducing 40% tax on the dividends earned by Pension Funds
8) Trident replacement to be located in Scotland at an estimated cost of 50 billion
9) Came into power promising a Whiter Than White approach to sleaze. You judge whether they have managed to maintain that high standard ! Just ask why the Met Police were interviewing Tony Blair eh
10)Perhaps most worryingly, is the New Labour Party authoritarian and totalitarian tendencies. It attempts to store the DNA of every crime suspect. It seeks to smear its opponents at every opportunity using words like “liar”, “discredited” and “cowardly”. The separatist parties are thought of as “anti-British”, “enemies of England” and “traitors including ex Tory ministers in there
11)The New Labour Party has a disgraceful policy that exposes Iraqi civilians and other coalition troops to needless additional risk just by being there!
12)The New Labour Parties council tax penalise working people, the aged and families. Even the “idle rich” pay less. If council tax is the question, income tax is the answer, much fairer all round

Heres 12 reasons why we might not be worse off to see the back of Blair Brown and MacConnell
PM

horseman
07-May-07, 01:09

Now that is one one heck of a up front statement!

Boozeburglar
07-May-07, 09:17
1)Educational fiascos with three separate inquiries into the problems at SQA.
2)Law and order policies in total disarray with record numbers in prison while young neds terrorise towns and villages up and down the country. Local policing now a thing of the past.
3)Billions spent on the NHS but disappears into a bottomless pit of admin and bureaucracy with no tangible improvement in patient services to speak of. Programme of closing local hospitals continues unabated
4)Stealth Tax policies result in overall tax burden rising for most tax payers
5)Flawed anti-terrorism policy makes UK more of a target than ever
6)Total inability to control illegal immigration
7) Ruined private pension schemes by introducing 40% tax on the dividends earned by Pension Funds
8) Trident replacement to be located in Scotland at an estimated cost of 50 billion
9) Came into power promising a Whiter Than White approach to sleaze. You judge whether they have managed to maintain that high standard ! Just ask why the Met Police were interviewing Tony Blair eh
10)Perhaps most worryingly, is the New Labour Party authoritarian and totalitarian tendencies. It attempts to store the DNA of every crime suspect. It seeks to smear its opponents at every opportunity using words like “liar”, “discredited” and “cowardly”. The separatist parties are thought of as “anti-British”, “enemies of England” and “traitors including ex Tory ministers in there
11)The New Labour Party has a disgraceful policy that exposes Iraqi civilians and other coalition troops to needless additional risk just by being there!
12)The New Labour Parties council tax penalise working people, the aged and families. Even the “idle rich” pay less. If council tax is the question, income tax is the answer, much fairer all round

Heres 12 reasons why we might not be worse off to see the back of Blair Brown and MacConnell
PM

Some good points there.

I cannot see why the SNP would make a worse job of it.