PDA

View Full Version : Low Iron

Fluff
04-May-07, 20:08
Got my results back from my doctor today. Luckily im not anemic but i do have low iron. he has givin me iron tablets to take for 3 months.

any one got any tips of good ways of getting iron? i am on a healthy eating diet now anyway and am drinking lots of fresh orange juice ihave also cut out tea ( i do miss it from time to time)
thanks

orkneylass
04-May-07, 20:51
Liver, red meat and dark green leafy veg.

Got my results back from my doctor today. Luckily im not anemic but i do have low iron. he has givin me iron tablets to take for 3 months.

any one got any tips of good ways of getting iron? i am on a healthy eating diet now anyway and am drinking lots of fresh orange juice ihave also cut out tea ( i do miss it from time to time)
thanks

Angela
04-May-07, 21:01
Fluff, you're doing the right thing cutting down on tea (especially with meals) and drinking lots of o.j. You probably know you need plenty of vitamin C to help absorb the iron. Any fruit juice or fruit eaten with a meal helps.

Other beneficial foods (as well as the ones that orkneylass has mentioned) are eggs, baked beans & breakfast cereals fortified with iron.

Liver has the most iron of all meats -but (assuming you're not veggie) there is some in turkey, chicken, pork and fish.

Hope you feel better soon! :)

Fluff
04-May-07, 22:18
might be a silly questiob, but how do i know if my ceral is fortifed? i tend to have kellogs bran flakes at the moment, or wheetabix

Angela
04-May-07, 22:24
might be a silly questiob, but how do i know if my ceral is fortifed? i tend to have kellogs bran flakes at the moment, or wheetabix

Just look on the pack at the list of ingredients ...it will list "vitamins & iron".

Weetabix is fortified, I'm pretty sure that bran flakes is as well. :)

Angela
04-May-07, 22:30
Forgot to say - you get iron from good quality chocolate too.
Hurrah! :D [lol]

highlander
04-May-07, 22:33
Shall i send you some caithness steak? LOL ermmm wonder how much it will cost to send you a stirk LOL

WeeBurd
04-May-07, 22:44
...i tend to have kellogs bran flakes at the moment...

Good plan - if you're going to be on iron tablets for the next 3 months, you'll need 'em [lol] !

George Brims
04-May-07, 22:50
Black pudding!

Fran
05-May-07, 00:31
I am anemic too and have a tin of guiness every day as it is full of iron. Red meat, especially liver is good. Remember not to have a cup of tea/coffee one hour before or after taking the iron tablet as this will absorb the iron making the tablets useless.

rockchick
05-May-07, 13:56
my favourite when I'm low on iron is fresh spinach salad dotted with mandarin orange pieces. Followed by a perfectly cooked Caithness steak!

Fluff
05-May-07, 14:45
god how i would love a nice thick juicy caithness steak right now.

might have to go to waitrose and get an english steak. not as good but heck it'll do!

Ricco
05-May-07, 20:19
Liver, red meat and dark green leafy veg.

and Guiness. ;)

Fluff
05-May-07, 20:45
well the iron pills must be working. i am getting horrid stomach cramps as well as other things.
grr