PDA

View Full Version : Would the EU want Scotland?

Angel
26-Jun-16, 23:23
Why would the EU want Scotland anyway? They only wanted England basically for LONDON (its money)!
Why would the EU give us anything anyway, what do we have that makes us important?

Angel...

golach
26-Jun-16, 23:26
Good question, sadly I don't know the answer.

Rheghead
26-Jun-16, 23:28
Well I actually think that Scotland has a huge amount to offer the EU as an independent nation. Too many seem to think they can run the country down.

Alrock
27-Jun-16, 00:15
Good question, sadly I don't know the answer.

Not everything in this world is about money, that's what is wrong with this country it's all "Me, Me, Me, what's in it for me"

tonkatojo
27-Jun-16, 09:47
Well I actually think that Scotland has a huge amount to offer the EU as an independent nation. Too many seem to think they can run the country down.

A few details would enhance your statement Rheggy.

Scout
27-Jun-16, 20:07
A few details would enhance your statement Rheggy. This also says it all really.

Bystander1
27-Jun-16, 22:16

Well we have the shortbread, the shortbread, and of course there is the shortbread. And then there is the most powerful wee wumman in the World, and then there is Fat Eck. What more could they want.

DSTOTM
27-Jun-16, 23:12
Tunnocks tea cakes.........

DSTOTM
27-Jun-16, 23:16
oh..... and "oil"......... hold on, what about a bit of tartan, cashmere and heather too?

DSTOTM
27-Jun-16, 23:18
And crap weather?

I can't think of anything else Scotland is good at?

Kevin Milkins
27-Jun-16, 23:46
Haggis, them foreigners like genuine wild haggis.

DSTOTM
28-Jun-16, 00:01
And "oil"....... don't forget the oil....... Scotland has OIL........ never underestimate the OIL!

Crisp and dry?....... Scotland delivers at a premium price...... the price per LITRE at the REAY shop is £1.29 per litre..........

Rheghead
28-Jun-16, 00:34
Let's imagine that Scotland is too small, economically weak, too thick and too dysfunctional, too destitute of resources to stand up as an independent nation. Is that our reward after 300 years of being part of the UK?

Shabbychic
28-Jun-16, 04:03
Wow....I can't believe how many take pleasure in demeaning Scotland's worth. Perhaps some should get out more and realise there is more to Scotland than shortbread and haggis.....and even oil.

Anyone ever heard of google?

To answer the question, "Would the EU want Scotland?".... it would appear they do (https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/8702/european-politicians-extend-hand-friendship-scotland-after-brexit-vote).

Bogbrush
28-Jun-16, 12:34
One of the unwritten principles of EU membership is that, overall, the member country should be able to put in more to the EU than it receives back. This is simple sense. So we need to find an economist and financial wizard to work out what the annual EU membership fee might be for Scotland.

Alrock
28-Jun-16, 12:41
One of the unwritten principles of EU membership is that, overall, the member country should be able to put in more to the EU than it receives back. This is simple sense. So we need to find an economist and financial wizard to work out what the annual EU membership fee might be for Scotland.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/europe/09/eu_budget_spending/img/graph_net_contrib_466x485.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8036097.stm#start

neilsermk1
28-Jun-16, 12:56
And crap weather?

I can't think of anything else Scotland is good at?

I think the voting population of Scotland were good at spotting the pig in a poke that was the "leave" campaign.

rob murray
28-Jun-16, 13:22
Wow....I can't believe how many take pleasure in demeaning Scotland's worth. Perhaps some should get out more and realise there is more to Scotland than shortbread and haggis.....and even oil.

To answer the question, "Would the EU want Scotland?".... it would appear they do (https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/8702/european-politicians-extend-hand-friendship-scotland-after-brexit-vote).

Yep it seems so !

Rheghead
28-Jun-16, 17:44

Alyn Smith got a standing ovation from the European parliament in solidarity to Scotland's place in the EU.

janeyj
28-Jun-16, 18:48
Politics just doesn't normally do it for me. But right now I'm being quite entertained by all the shenanigans in higher places. How on earth will the story end? Who knows? Having watched Farage in Brussels today I must say I was ashamed to be British. He showed no class.....no dignity. He's not welcome at my house that's for sure! I have this idea that the story could end with a general election later this year with Labour, SNP and Libs forming a pact to oust the Tories, put Brexit terms to the people and we reject them! Is that a good ending or am I losing the plot? Anyway, Boris isn't so stupid is he? He wouldn't take the risk of becoming our shortest serving PM?

Back on track. As for the question of whether the EU would want us. Is it not the case that half the member countries are net gainers and so never joined in the first place with anything much to offer? Guess it's all about helping each other to improve and I think Scotland would start from a good place.

DSTOTM
28-Jun-16, 21:39
A better question would have been "Do the rest of the UK want Scotland?". That SNP crowd do nothing but whine and moan and make it up as they go along, I believe Scotland should remain part of the UK but the only way to get that Sturgeon woman off the TV screens is to vote to leave, once she gets the power she wants you'll never hear from her again and that has to be a good thing! ;)

Politics these days is nothing about policies it's all about personalities trying to get into power..... they lie, they avoid answering direct questions, they deceive and they blame others.... they are all "right", everybody else is wrong and all of that is totally wrong! When have you seen a politician agree with a member of an opposing party? Very rarely, they are all so self absorbed and greedy to get into a position of power that policies, facts and figures are made up / chopped and changed on an almost daily basis.

It's not about "personalities" like Boris, David or Nicola it should be about "policies" and providing truth to the electorate. The lot of them can't be trusted and I fear the future of this country is looking bleak if it continues as it is.

Just look at what's happening to Jeremy Corbyn at the moment........ a vote of no confidence and half of his cabinet resigning..... they are essentially saying he isn't the right "personality" for the job and are blaming him for being so quiet during the EU referendum. That's surely what democracy is, isn't it? I wish they had ALL kept their mouths shut and left it up to the British people to make the decision to leave or stay based on their own personal research...... it's pretty easy to find the true facts and figures, you just have to look for them online / look around you / look at your own life and make a decision.

All of these power seeking "personalities" should have remained neutral...... it was nothing to do with "Boris" or "David" and wasn't about Boris or David..... it was about the people having the freedom to make a decision and vote based on their opinions. It was then a matter for the government to act on the people's decision.

Jeremy Corbyn, quite rightly, took a back seat and pretty much kept out of it..... he wasn't driving about in a campaign bus with "The common sense tour" emblazoned all over it. I'm not a fanboy of Jeremy Corbyn but I believe he is a man of principle and a man of integrity and honesty who has the vision and will to make the UK a much fairer society for all.

That's no good though, he's not a "personality"........ he says it as it is, that's not good enough..... he doesn't bow down to the Queen like a serf, that's not good enough..... he doesn't sport a Saville Row tailored suit and tie, not good enough, he doesn't lie through his teeth, not good enough, he doesn't shave, not good enough, he lives in a small house, not good enough.

If the "Sturgeon" team got hold of him and had him clip clopping about in fancy shoes / suits sporting a shaved face and fancy hairdo and making it up as he went along he would be the next prime minister!

Why is everybody so keen these days to look to the "personality" instead of the "policies"? The person will be replaced by another person but there will be no progress until the British people get behind the "policies" and forget about the personalities.

A "personality" will say anything to gain a public vote but a true, committed, politician will always tell the truth for the good of the people he represents........ it's a shame that there are very few real politicians left and I seriously do fear for the future generations who will inherit a hell like existence thanks to the political system being turned into the X-Factor.

Just my two pounds worth (which are probably worth about seventy pence right now) ;)

Rheghead
29-Jun-16, 00:16
A better question would have been "Do the rest of the UK want Scotland?".

Indeed. It is become increasingly clear that they are increasingly not happy being in a union with Scotland which is politically and culturally different to them. They don't owe us and we don't owe them. Time to go our different ways. If it is really about taking back control and democracy then in an independent England they'd get control of their border pre-1707 and get exactly what they vote for and Scotland would as well. I cannot see why that is so complicated for some.

Scout
29-Jun-16, 07:50
Indeed. It is become increasingly clear that they are increasingly not happy being in a union with Scotland which is politically and culturally different to them. They don't owe us and we don't owe them. Time to go our different ways. If it is really about taking back control and democracy then in an independent England they'd get control of their border pre-1707 and get exactly what they vote for and Scotland would as well. I cannot see why that is so complicated for some.
You would not get what you want independent, you would be with EU who would regulate with out you being to kick them out. If you do not like the SNP you vote them out etc. EU you can not.

Rheghead
29-Jun-16, 18:26
You would not get what you want independent, you would be with EU who would regulate with out you being to kick them out. If you do not like the SNP you vote them out etc. EU you can not.

That is a bit silly thinking. Every country in the EU is an independent nation. Every 4 years we had the chance to vote for or vote out our representatives in the European parliament.

jockyplunck
29-Jun-16, 18:58
the question you should be asking yourself is. why would scotland want the eu?

DSTOTM
29-Jun-16, 20:11
the question you should be asking yourself is. why would scotland want the eu?

That is a good question, why does Scotland want the EU? Or maybe it's a case of Scotland "needs" the EU because an independent Scotland truly hasn't got a strong enough economy to go it alone and be truly independent?

Mister Spock, most folk don't even know who their European representative is let alone what they are doing for the UK over in Brussels...... I think this is the problem. Some Scottish people believe that decisions should be taken locally and "Westminster" is out of touch with all things Scotland, well...... Brussels is even more out of touch.

Let me present you with a few facts regarding the EU and its impact on the UK economy, this may even shock you Mister Spock:

Cadbury moved factory to Poland 2011 with EU grant.

Ford Transit moved to Turkey 2013 with EU grant.

Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers’ pension funds.

Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant.

British Army's new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales.

Dyson gone to Malaysia, with an EU loan.

Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200.

M&S manufacturing gone to far east with EU loan.

Hornby models gone. In fact all toys and models now gone from UK along with the patents all with EU grants.

Gillette gone to eastern Europe with EU grant.
Texas Instruments Greenock gone to Germany with EU grant.

Indesit at Bodelwyddan Wales gone with EU grant.

Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil Industrial Park foam plant will relocate production to Roermond in the Netherlands, with EU funding.

Hoover Merthyr factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company Candy with EU backing.

ICI integration into Holland’s AkzoNobel with EU bank loan and within days of the merger, several factories in the UK, were closed, eliminating 3,500 jobs.

Boots sold to Italians Stefano Pessina who have based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year, using an EU loan for the purchase.

JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU 'regeneration' grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.

UK airports are owned by a Spanish company.

Scottish Power is owned by a Spanish company.

Most London buses are run by Spanish and German companies.

The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online.

Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it's Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada.

39% of British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies, many of them in the EU.

The Mini cars that Cameron stood in front of as an example of British engineering, are built by BMW mostly in Holland and Austria. His campaign bus was made in Germany even though we have Plaxton, Optare, Bluebird, Dennis etc., in the UK.

The bicycle for the Greens was made in the far east, not by Raleigh UK but then they are probably going to move to the Netherlands too as they have said recently.

Anyone who thinks the EU is good for British industry or any other business simply hasn't paid attention to what has been systematically asset-stripped from the UK. Name me one major technology company still running in the UK.
From a Brit.

We used to contract out to many, then the work just dried up as they were sold off to companies from France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, etc., and now we don't even teach electronic technology for technicians any more, due to EU regulations.

I haven't detailed our non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy, nor the farmers being paid NOT to produce food they could sell for more than they get paid to do nothing, don't even go there.

I haven't mentioned what it costs us to be asset-stripped like this, nor have I mentioned immigration, nor the risk to our security if control of our armed forces is passed to Brussels or Germany.

Find something that's gone the other way, I've looked and I just can't.

Still want to stay? Well it must be some consolation that you have Cameron to negotiate in Europe on your behalf.

And of course, the real deal-breaker .... Democracy, transparency and independence. We can vote out our MPs - BUT the European Commission who dictate 55% of UK laws, which are legally binding, are ..... guess what, untouchable, unelected and hidden from view.

DSTOTM
29-Jun-16, 20:19
Sorry, the source was a good friend of mine who actually "studies" reality and not a politician who lives in a world of fantasy......... you can check each and every one of those facts and they are all TRUE. Why on Earth would the SNP want to continue on the same path? I thought they wanted the best for Scotland and its people?

I want you to research all of the above......... all of it is absolute FACT. Once you have confirmed it as FACT I want you to tell me WHY Scotland remaining a part of the EU is a good thing.

Best regards Spock.

tonkatojo
29-Jun-16, 20:30
Sorry, the source was a good friend of mine who actually "studies" reality and not a politician who lives in a world of fantasy......... you can check each and every one of those facts and they are all TRUE. Why on Earth would the SNP want to continue on the same path? I thought they wanted the best for Scotland and its people?

I want you to research all of the above......... all of it is absolute FACT. Once you have confirmed it as FACT I want you to tell me WHY Scotland remaining a part of the EU is a good thing.

Best regards Spock.

That should keep you busy for an hour or so Rheggy, I look forward to the replies lol.

tonkatojo
29-Jun-16, 20:36
That is a bit silly thinking. Every country in the EU is an independent nation. Every 4 years we had the chance to vote for or vote out our representatives in the European parliament.

This is the structure of the EU and the main reason of its downfall is it's too bloody complicated. http://www.dadalos-europe.org/int/grundkurs4/eu-struktur_1.htm
Don't forget to go to structures 2/3/4 +

janeyj
29-Jun-16, 20:42
That is a good question, why does Scotland want the EU? Or maybe it's a case of Scotland "needs" the EU because an independent Scotland truly hasn't got a strong enough economy to go it alone and be truly independent?

Mister Spock, most folk don't even know who their European representative is let alone what they are doing for the UK over in Brussels...... I think this is the problem. Some Scottish people believe that decisions should be taken locally and "Westminster" is out of touch with all things Scotland, well...... Brussels is even more out of touch.

Let me present you with a few facts regarding the EU and its impact on the UK economy, this may even shock you Mister Spock:

Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers’ pension funds.

Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant.

British Army's new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales.

Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200.

Hornby models gone. In fact all toys and models now gone from UK along with the patents all with EU grants.

Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil Industrial Park foam plant will relocate production to Roermond in the Netherlands, with EU funding.

Hoover Merthyr factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company Candy with EU backing.

ICI integration into Holland’s AkzoNobel with EU bank loan and within days of the merger, several factories in the UK, were closed, eliminating 3,500 jobs.

Boots sold to Italians Stefano Pessina who have based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year, using an EU loan for the purchase.

JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU 'regeneration' grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.

The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online.

Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it's Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada.

39% of British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies, many of them in the EU.

The Mini cars that Cameron stood in front of as an example of British engineering, are built by BMW mostly in Holland and Austria. His campaign bus was made in Germany even though we have Plaxton, Optare, Bluebird, Dennis etc., in the UK.

The bicycle for the Greens was made in the far east, not by Raleigh UK but then they are probably going to move to the Netherlands too as they have said recently.

Anyone who thinks the EU is good for British industry or any other business simply hasn't paid attention to what has been systematically asset-stripped from the UK. Name me one major technology company still running in the UK.
From a Brit.

We used to contract out to many, then the work just dried up as they were sold off to companies from France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, etc., and now we don't even teach electronic technology for technicians any more, due to EU regulations.

I haven't detailed our non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy, nor the farmers being paid NOT to produce food they could sell for more than they get paid to do nothing, don't even go there.

I haven't mentioned what it costs us to be asset-stripped like this, nor have I mentioned immigration, nor the risk to our security if control of our armed forces is passed to Brussels or Germany.

Still want to stay? Well it must be some consolation that you have Cameron to negotiate in Europe on your behalf.

And of course, the real deal-breaker .... Democracy, transparency and independence. We can vote out our MPs - BUT the European Commission who dictate 55% of UK laws, which are legally binding, are ..... guess what, untouchable, unelected and hidden from view.

WOW! That's incredible. I didn't realise just how much the EU could do to help new members develop their economies. Amazing!

DSTOTM
29-Jun-16, 21:04
Mister Spock,

I also believe you are a "green" carbon footprint conscious type of person? How does it make sense to close down our "quality" steel plants and import seriously inferior steel from China? It is surely better to produce our own steel rather than contribute to global warming by importing cheap / inferior steel from China? There is so much to be considered and discussed but all we are getting from these so called politicians is their personal agenda and what will suit them best with regard to making a few bucks at the expense of the people of this once great nation.

There are FOOD BANKS across Scotland.... there are also psuedo politicians who are stirring up a frenzy of nationalism...... they don't give a toss about the "people", they are all about securing the best "deal" for the progression of themselves..... they will prey on those who are in the gutter to gain votes by telling them lies and filling their heads with false hope to feather their own nests.

It's appalling.

The truth of the matter is..... we need to all realise what these liers and cheats are up to and gather together as a union of "protest" and totally re-write the book..... the only way that will happen is by revolution but we all know that isn't going to happen as we are all logged onto the "system" known as "facebook"...... we are all where the powers that be want us to be...... at our "terminals" with location services turned on...... fingerprints to log on etc.

I remember when you had to commit a CRIME to get your fingerprints taken...... nowadays the youth have been brainwashed into thinking that "fingerprint recognition" is COOL........ your mobile phone is essentially a "tag", the powers that be know where you are and you feed them live updates via facebook........ We are all walking about with tags (a tag was a thing a criminal would have had fitted onto his ankle.... the police could track his whereabouts) and living in an open prison and the question is "would the EU want Scotland?"

I think a better question would be..... "do we realise we are living in an open prison?"

DSTOTM
29-Jun-16, 21:15
WOW! That's incredible. I didn't realise just how much the EU could do to help new members develop their economies. Amazing!

Not only incredible but TRUE too........ do your own research.

Best regards.

Serenity
30-Jun-16, 12:06

Best regards Spock.

The source for this was your good friend? You sure it wasn't just copied and pasted from one of the other 118000 places it has been posted to also without sources? Here is a refutal to the points: http://ilovetheeu.co.uk/trade/no-the-eu-does-not-fund-companies-to-move-jobs-out-of-the-uk/. Yes not the most unbiased page but hey if you are going to post claims you need to put up the sources.

Scout
30-Jun-16, 14:27
I had to laugh Nicola Sturgeon in Scottish Parliament today declared David Cameron had got us in this mess to allow the public to vote if we wanted to be in the EU. Nicola it is called democracy, but no you do not know the meaning of this. So it is OK for Scotland and the Scottish people to call on referendum if they want to be independent excluding England and Wales and Northern Ireland to have a say and that is OK? What a joke the SNP are.

Shaggy
30-Jun-16, 16:49
I had to laugh Nicola Sturgeon in Scottish Parliament today declared David Cameron had got us in this mess to allow the public to vote if we wanted to be in the EU.

So who did get us in the mess that the UK is in now then? was that Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP? Here's one for you.....Maybe, just maybe, there is the fact that the SNP aren't guilty of being behind all of the UK's current woes. Or is it just easier for you to say they are and humour yourself by slagging them off at every opportunity?

Shaggy
30-Jun-16, 16:58

From a Brit.

What a load of tosh...Provide genuine and reliable sources for all the above statements or it didn't happen. The comments you made are pasted all over the internet, did your "source" do that or is it just a case of "ooh, i'll copy/paste this on e Org and show the lot of them im clever!" Posts like yours just provoke arguments for arguments sake, they give no credible information or facts to the current debate.

Rheghead
30-Jun-16, 16:59
That should keep you busy for an hour or so Rheggy, I look forward to the replies lol.

Why was this directed at me?

Rheghead
30-Jun-16, 17:05

Please substantiate this with how much was the grant and from which fund it was paid from.

tonkatojo
30-Jun-16, 19:22
Why was this directed at me?

Post 26, second paragraph was directed to you.

DSTOTM
30-Jun-16, 21:22
Please substantiate this with how much was the grant and from which fund it was paid from.

First of all the information was from a good friend / source known as "the internet". I will get you the info you require regarding Cadbury Mister Spock but will give you some reading material regarding Twinings tea first:

http://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Business-News/Workers-dismay-as-Twinings-pockets-12m-EU-fund-for-new-Polish-site

Pretty much the same story regarding Cadbury but very hard to find the EXACT figures you are looking for:

http://www.confectionerynews.com/Manufacturers/Mondelez-opens-Poland-line-and-expects-Europe-chocolate-recovery

One thing is for sure, it's now being made in Poland.

There was a question to the European Parliament in 2007 but they don't appear to have answered it:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+WQ+E-2007-5382+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN

There's something about it here but it's in Dutch:

http://context.reverso.net/translation/dutch-english/schweppes

Curly Wurly and the "picnic" bar are discussed here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/2095590046

FT article on multinationals cashing in on EU funds / with particular regard to Poland:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b9cea2e6-fd7d-11df-a049-00144feab49a.html#axzz4D5obUivl

Answer by Miss Hubner from the EU:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getAllAnswers.do?reference=E-2007-5382&language=EN

This is the problem with the EU!!!! It's hard to find out what's going on as they don't seem to publish the facts and figures, it's all behind a smokescreen. The thing is British Cadbury workers have lost their jobs and if that's an indication of life in the EU then it will follow that more British jobs will be lost to other EU countries who have cheaper labour costs.

There's another thing, and a very important thing..... we, in the UK, have a "NATIONAL MINIMUM WAGE". A Bulgarian worker (who is a member of the EU), for example, will work for 7 days a week / 18 hours a day and take home about £80 (if he / she is lucky) I experienced this, first hand, when I was over in Bulgaria last year. If you don't have a job in Bulgaria you basically either BEG or wander the streets picking up plastic bottles and waste to get a couple of lev a day to get a loaf of bread.

Why doesn't the EU treat all of it's members equally? It's a "union" after all? I spoke to a few guys over there and the general way of things (in the holiday season) is them working an 18 hour day / SEVEN days a week for the equivalent of £80 per week in wages. How the hell can you be a "union" if one part of the Union has no rights / are paid a pittance and the other part have all the rights and benefits under the sun and are paid a fortune (in comparison)?

None of it makes sense, the only people who are benefiting from the EU are those who are exploiting the poor and vulnerable...... much like the lords and ladies who made their fortunes by exploiting the poor in this country back in the day...... shove them down a mine, I want a new mansion.

Mister Spock, I am sorry but I cannot give you the exact facts and figures regarding the EU funding of the Curly Wurly / Dairy Milk confectionery thing..... that will remain a mystery........ BUT, on the other hand, I am unable to provide facts and figures / sales records of Mondelez International (the company that bought out Cadbury) either..... all I can say is, we are living in very seedy / shady times and money / power is being laundered by politicians talking absolute shite.

I seriously would have loved to answer your question regarding Cadbury but the hard facts are not available so I can only surmise that there was a EU grant made available as per "popular belief".

An hour on this only to find you can buy an inferior "Picnic" bar in Poland ;)

Best regards.

DSTOTM
30-Jun-16, 21:27
I am pro immigration by the way, not anti immigration.

DSTOTM
30-Jun-16, 21:33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbDeS_mXMnM

Plenty of room in Scotland to build new cities.

Rheghead
01-Jul-16, 00:07
First of all the information was from a good friend / source known as "the internet". I will get you the info you require regarding Cadbury Mister Spock but will give you some reading material regarding Twinings tea first:

http://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Business-News/Workers-dismay-as-Twinings-pockets-12m-EU-fund-for-new-Polish-site

Pretty much the same story regarding Cadbury but very hard to find the EXACT figures you are looking for:

http://www.confectionerynews.com/Manufacturers/Mondelez-opens-Poland-line-and-expects-Europe-chocolate-recovery

One thing is for sure, it's now being made in Poland.

There was a question to the European Parliament in 2007 but they don't appear to have answered it:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+WQ+E-2007-5382+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN

There's something about it here but it's in Dutch:

http://context.reverso.net/translation/dutch-english/schweppes

Curly Wurly and the "picnic" bar are discussed here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/2095590046

FT article on multinationals cashing in on EU funds / with particular regard to Poland:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b9cea2e6-fd7d-11df-a049-00144feab49a.html#axzz4D5obUivl

Answer by Miss Hubner from the EU:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getAllAnswers.do?reference=E-2007-5382&language=EN

This is the problem with the EU!!!! It's hard to find out what's going on as they don't seem to publish the facts and figures, it's all behind a smokescreen. The thing is British Cadbury workers have lost their jobs and if that's an indication of life in the EU then it will follow that more British jobs will be lost to other EU countries who have cheaper labour costs.

There's another thing, and a very important thing..... we, in the UK, have a "NATIONAL MINIMUM WAGE". A Bulgarian worker (who is a member of the EU), for example, will work for 7 days a week / 18 hours a day and take home about £80 (if he / she is lucky) I experienced this, first hand, when I was over in Bulgaria last year. If you don't have a job in Bulgaria you basically either BEG or wander the streets picking up plastic bottles and waste to get a couple of lev a day to get a loaf of bread.

Why doesn't the EU treat all of it's members equally? It's a "union" after all? I spoke to a few guys over there and the general way of things (in the holiday season) is them working an 18 hour day / SEVEN days a week for the equivalent of £80 per week in wages. How the hell can you be a "union" if one part of the Union has no rights / are paid a pittance and the other part have all the rights and benefits under the sun and are paid a fortune (in comparison)?

None of it makes sense, the only people who are benefiting from the EU are those who are exploiting the poor and vulnerable...... much like the lords and ladies who made their fortunes by exploiting the poor in this country back in the day...... shove them down a mine, I want a new mansion.

Mister Spock, I am sorry but I cannot give you the exact facts and figures regarding the EU funding of the Curly Wurly / Dairy Milk confectionery thing..... that will remain a mystery........ BUT, on the other hand, I am unable to provide facts and figures / sales records of Mondelez International (the company that bought out Cadbury) either..... all I can say is, we are living in very seedy / shady times and money / power is being laundered by politicians talking absolute shite.

I seriously would have loved to answer your question regarding Cadbury but the hard facts are not available so I can only surmise that there was a EU grant made available as per "popular belief".

An hour on this only to find you can buy an inferior "Picnic" bar in Poland ;)

Best regards.

Have you ever considered that the Cadbury EU grant thing is just a lie that has been repeated enough that people are now believing it?

Shaggy
01-Jul-16, 12:15
The simple fact of the matter is, EU grant or no EU grant, the companies moved out of the UK and went to Poland to make more profit by employing people in Poland who are paid far less wages than the UK workers were paid.

DSTOTM
01-Jul-16, 12:54
The simple fact of the matter is, EU grant or no EU grant, the companies moved out of the UK and went to Poland to make more profit by employing people in Poland who are paid far less wages than the UK workers were paid.

We seem to be focusing on Cadbury but what about all the other companies on the list? If the EU were a fair "union" wages would be the same across the whole of the EU and companies wouldn't have to relocate to make more profit.

rob murray
01-Jul-16, 12:55
More problems ahead : The European Union's top trade official says the UK cannot begin negotiating terms for doing business with the bloc until after it has left.
"First you exit then you negotiate," Cecilia Malmstrom told BBC Newsnight.
After Brexit, the UK would become a "third country" in EU terms, she said - meaning trade would be carried out based on World Trade Organisation rules until a new deal was complete. A recent trade deal with Canada took seven years to negotiate. The Canadian agreement will also require ratification by all EU countries, adding another one to two years before it takes effect.

Ms Malmstrom, the EU Trade Commissioner, underlined that detailed talks to shape the UK's new trading relationship with the EU should not start until after the process of leaving politically, under an Article 50 process lasting up to two years.
There is concern in the City that having to do business for years under WTO rules could be disastrous for the UK's service industries.

see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36678222

tonkatojo
01-Jul-16, 14:56
More problems ahead : The European Union's top trade official says the UK cannot begin negotiating terms for doing business with the bloc until after it has left.
"First you exit then you negotiate," Cecilia Malmstrom told BBC Newsnight.
After Brexit, the UK would become a "third country" in EU terms, she said - meaning trade would be carried out based on World Trade Organisation rules until a new deal was complete. A recent trade deal with Canada took seven years to negotiate. The Canadian agreement will also require ratification by all EU countries, adding another one to two years before it takes effect.

Ms Malmstrom, the EU Trade Commissioner, underlined that detailed talks to shape the UK's new trading relationship with the EU should not start until after the process of leaving politically, under an Article 50 process lasting up to two years.
There is concern in the City that having to do business for years under WTO rules could be disastrous for the UK's service industries.

see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36678222

Nowt new there then, I wonder how many informal/formal deals will be in place with countries ready for the starting gun being fired, besides European countries, it would seem a few eastern the likes of Taiwan, Newzealand and other Commonwealth countries have offered deals already and it hasn't been a week since the referendum.
I personally would take not a jot of note what comes out of the EU spokespeople as they have not got a clue what will be done when we leave, everyone appears to be putting in their oar looking for headline for fame.
Marie Le Pen has been quoted as saying France will have a referendum if she gets power, elections next year I believe, Italy 5star party have said the same and no Doubt others will be "coming out as they say" in the near future.
I note the Scottish fishermen have found their voices again and want away from the EU and have told Sturgeon so.
Our country the UK have a lot more gumption than we give credit for and will not be sitting around waiting for ultimatums but will be NOW forward planning like hell, I heard they were hiring international negotiators as we have not had any for 40 years and cannot produce them quick enough as all negotiations were done at EU level previously and we had to go along with the results good or bad, no more though !.
WTO rules will be not as bad a folk think, there will be more give and take than EU rigidity, there is nowt we the ordinary person can now do we have done our bit on the 23/06/16 and need to stop greeting and worrying and let the folk with the knowledge and prowess get on with it, spreading fear factor headlines like post 46 is daft and serve no purpose but fuels speculation I suppose.

Rheghead
01-Jul-16, 17:29

The simple fact of the matter is that Cadbury already had a factory in Poland years before any closures in the UK. That factory was not set up with EU money.

janeyj
01-Jul-16, 18:48
The simple fact of the matter is that Cadbury already had a factory in Poland years before any closures in the UK. That factory was not set up with EU money.

According to DSTOTM Cadbury make inferior 'Picnic' bars in Poland. They probably pay the workers peanuts!

Sorry everyone. Couldn't help myself.

golach
01-Jul-16, 19:11
this is what the Spaniards think of Nicola and us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TbTC96ZUms&sns=fb

DSTOTM
01-Jul-16, 20:07

Even I laughed at that one! So damned true, who the hell does Nicola Sturgeon think she is? She's got as much idea about Spanish politics as she has about UK politics...... zilch!

DSTOTM
01-Jul-16, 20:53
Yes, Mister Spock, maybe so but what about all the other companies that received EU funding to relocate? You managed to find that Cadbury gaining EU funding was "maybe" a bit suss / misinformed but what about all the other companies that were mentioned?

I tend to agree with tonkatojo, we have a lot of gumption in the UK and won't allow these faceless Euro bureaucrats to stand in the way of our own personal goals and ambitions.

Going totally off topic (excuse the pun) I was never a Cadbury's chocolate fan but must agree that their "chocolate" is nowhere nearly as bad as it used to be, it's a lot worse. How on earth could they make it taste even more unlike chocolate than it already did? It's like the Findus crispy pancake..... those things, albeit not haute cuisine, weren't too bad back in the day........ I bought a packet of them a couple of weeks ago (some twenty years later) as they were half price and, good god, they were nothing like a Findus crispy pancake!!

The outer "shell" tasted like thin plasterboard and the inner filling was so spartan it was almost non existent....... it was akin to a seagull trying to swallow a dry piece of bread, absolutely indedible..... that's not a Findus crispy pancake!!

Don't get me started on Birds Eye beefburgers, they too have totally gone to the dogs........ Captain Birds Eye will be turning in his grave........ I put two "quarter pounders" in the frying pan with no oil, 10 minutes later I had a frying pan full of melted lard and a couple of burgers that had gone from a quarter of a pound to a quarter of the size they started out at......... That's not an old school quarter pound Birds Eye burger, that's a new Euro model burger that is pumped up with 50% fat and marketed as "pure beef"...... yeh, 50% beef and 50% Euro lard.

Don't get me started on Heinz baked beans..... what the hell has happened to them? You open a tin and it's mostly sauce these days..... a few beans floating about in a sea of sauce....... one guy said to me to me, and this is serious, "the sauce costs more than the beans" as if to give me the heads up that I shouldn't complain. Erm.......... When I buy a tin of baked beans I expect the contents to be "bean" rich, I don't expect to find the beans spartan in a sea of sauce. By the way, Lidl's "Newgate" baked beans are far better than the current Heinz offering... seriously, give them a try..... they are probably made in Germany, and all the better for it.

I am not a sausage, mash and baked beans type of person but (as we are led to believe by the powers that be) the average UK "worker" / "common man" basis his weekly budget on the price of baked beans / Richmond sausages (I'm coming home) / Cathedral City cheese (the "nations" favourite) and luxury items like Cabdbury Creme eggs..........

I'll stop, I've had a good drink (Scottish produced whisky)...... haven't got a clue where my typing could take me....... so will leave it at that........ please don't get me started on the Marathon / Snickers thing..... that was the beginning of the end for the British confectionery syndicate ;)

Rheghead
01-Jul-16, 21:45

Just going through your claims one by one and this claim is also factually incorrect. The 'grant' was actually a loan of £80m to bolster Ford (an american company) operations that were already happening at a Turkish factory.

I also think it is very dangerous to claim stuff like the above in isolation with the insinuation that the EU is acting against British interests because it is important to include some historical context in that Ford UK was awarded £450m grant funding in 2010. Presumably it isn't the European Investment Bank that is to blame if a multinational company cannot make a British car plant to work profitably?

DSTOTM
01-Jul-16, 23:19
Oh dear........... Beam me up.

Shabbychic
02-Jul-16, 00:20

It's amazing what utter hatred will make you believe. What is that saying about an "old fool" again?

Here (http://knowyourmeme.com/videos/108502-spanish-laughing-guy-el-risitas-interview-parodies) is the original of that video with the REAL subtitles. This is just a Spanish version of the Hitler videos, with subtitles to match your cause.

Shaggy
02-Jul-16, 09:38
According to DSTOTM Cadbury make inferior 'Picnic' bars in Poland. They probably pay the workers peanuts!

Had to have a little snicker to myself at that one...oops :-)

Rheghead
02-Jul-16, 12:53
Malta is only a small country smaller than Scotland and any malteser will tell you that they are doing well in the EU.

janeyj
02-Jul-16, 13:42
After 57 replies on this thread it's becoming a bit of a marathon. :D

Angel
02-Jul-16, 15:52
I agree with janeyj...but have we actually established why the EU would want us! It appears to me that the actual question is never answered directly, pretty much the same as an answer from any politician!
What do they gain from Scotland being in the EU?

Angel...

Alrock
02-Jul-16, 16:48
I agree with janeyj...but have we actually established why the EU would want us! It appears to me that the actual question is never answered directly, pretty much the same as an answer from any politician!

Angel...

If the EU had a policy of only cherry picking the best countries then it would be a pretty damn small union...

gregor1
02-Jul-16, 17:10
And "oil"....... don't forget the oil....... Scotland has OIL........ never underestimate the OIL!

Crisp and dry?....... Scotland delivers at a premium price...... the price per LITRE at the REAY shop is £1.29 per litre..........

Well actually I run the Reay shop and if you want to buy the pumps from me and fill them with fuel, I will sell it for you and give you the profits, I think it is unfair when you dont know the full facts, I will be happy to speak with you about it face to face, but I doubt you would want to do that.

jockyplunck
02-Jul-16, 20:21
in my opinion Britian functioned very well without the eu and it was not called Great Britian for no reason. i don't really remember britian without being member of the eu or decimalisation but i remember when we had british leyland (laugh if you wish) but there are british cars of over sixty years old still on the road yet. we also had ship yards and steel works and a great fishing industry is all gone now. apart from the humble mini which has been bought over by btw landcover which i believe is owned by ford and produced in india. i blame the demise of all these things on the eu but maybe i am just ignorant and know no better. i still say we will be better without the eu and will rise once again and be great britian. for all the snap fans i voted for independence for scotland but i would not vote for independence again knowing that nicola sturgeon is going to drop us back under eu rule.i am fearsomely patriotic acts man but i would rather be governed by an english government than the eu.

DSTOTM
02-Jul-16, 20:31
any malteser will tell you that they are doing well in the EU.

Has Mars been given EU funding too? I don't mind maltesers but my teeth hate them, that honeycomb stuff gives my teeth right gyp.... same with those creme egg things, that gooey stuff inside them is instant toothache.

DSTOTM
02-Jul-16, 21:28
Well actually I run the Reay shop and if you want to buy the pumps from me and fill them with fuel, I will sell it for you and give you the profits, I think it is unfair when you dont know the full facts, I will be happy to speak with you about it face to face, but I doubt you would want to do that.

I'm not complaining and fully appreciate that the oil company can name their price...... you are held over a barrel and have no choice, either accept their price or shut the pumps down. I was more making a point that Scotland is so, apparently, oil rich yet petrol prices in Scotland (especially the NORTH of Scotland) are very high compared with prices in the rest of the UK. The previous owner of the Reay shop (Ian) always filled up in Thurso and he explained why...... it's a disgrace what the oil companies are doing and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with charging "more" for supplying fuel dependent on region.

The pumps at Reay are only really worth keeping to get passing tourists into the shop, I know that you are not making much (if anything) from petrol sales but the pumps may help to get you a few more sales within the shop, and that has to be a good thing. I do know the full facts and if you can get a petition going I will be more than happy to sign it, your fuel supplier can basically name the price and that is NOT good for you or you local customers who actually WANT to fill up at your shop but are reluctant to do so because of the price per litre.

They don't charge more for electricity up here because of the "location" so why should your fuel company impose a surcharge based on location? They are a bunch of bandits and need to be held to account....... as I say, a carefully worded petition would do the trick with copies of the signed petition being sent to your local MP, your fuel supplier and the local press.

I will be the first to sign and will be happy to help you draught the content of the petition and also help to distribute petition forms to relevant places. There were two buses a week into town a few years ago, I got 1100 signatures from all and sundry (shopkeepers in town, Doctors, dentists, bus users...... everybody that mattered) and basically argued that our human right to free movement were being being limited to a Tuesday and a Friday (the only two days there was a bus into Thurso)....... there was a lot more to it than that but I don't want to go into full detail here as my typing fingers are tired ;)

We now have three buses into town per DAY. You are being shafted by your fuel supplier and it is resulting in lack of trade from locals..... it has a negative knock on effect for the entire community. I'm "sort of" unknown on here but you know me...... I'll pop into the shop tomorrow and have a word with you about this.

Best regards.

gregor1
02-Jul-16, 21:44
I thank you for that, but it will make no difference to you or I if a petition is put in place,Tongue, Bettyhill and my shop will only carry on as a whole, as soon as one of us decides to quit then it will be goodnight Vienna for us, the fuel company does not care and will only deliver if we all need it, we basically pay alot more than pump prices in Thurso, then we have VAT bills and licensing fees and god forbid if there is a fault on the pumps then they have to come from Aberdeen to fix them. This is why all of the small garages have closed, Helmsdale, Spittal, Castletown, to name a few, if I could switch the pumps off tomorrow then I would, on a lighter note as we stay open later I have found that tourists roll into Reay on fumes and are grateful that we are providing a service and that is the only reason the fuel remains.

DSTOTM
02-Jul-16, 21:52
I thank you for that, but it will make no difference to you or I if a petition is put in place,Tongue, Bettyhill and my shop will only carry on as a whole, as soon as one of us decides to quit then it will be goodnight Vienna for us, the fuel company does not care and will only deliver if we all need it, we basically pay alot more than pump prices in Thurso, then we have VAT bills and licensing fees and god forbid if there is a fault on the pumps then they have to come from Aberdeen to fix them. This is why all of the small garages have closed, Helmsdale, Spittal, Castletown, to name a few, if I could switch the pumps off tomorrow then I would, on a lighter note as we stay open later I have found that tourists roll into Reay on fumes and are grateful that we are providing a service and that is the only reason the fuel remains.

You're quite happy to let the fuel company continue on their current path then?

DSTOTM
02-Jul-16, 22:20
What about me and fellow locals who want to buy fuel from you but are put off by the extortionate price? Are we not worth fighting for? I think you should get the same "deal" that a pump in Thurso gets and not have to rely on "running on empty" passing tourists to sell a pie (or two)..... grow a pair!

tonkatojo
03-Jul-16, 09:17

Angel...

Take your pick from the following poem that was sent me.

‘Won’t you join our Common Market?’ said the spider to the fly,

‘It really is a winner and the cost is not too high’
‘I know De Gaulle said ’’ Non’’, but he hadn’t got a clue,

‘We want you in, my friends for we have plans for you.

‘You’ll have to pay a little more than we do, just for now,

‘As Herr Kohl said, and I agree, we need a new milch cow,
‘It’s just a continental term, believe me , mon ami,
‘Like ‘’Vive la France ’’ or ‘’Mad Anglais’’ or even ‘’E.E.C.’’.

‘As to the rules, don’t worry friend, there’s really but a few

‘You’ll find that we ignore them - but they all apply to you.

‘Give and share between us, that’s what it’s all about,

‘You do all the giving, and we all share it out.

‘It’s very British, is it not, to help a friend in need?
‘You’ve done it twice in two World Wars, a fact we must concede,
‘So climb aboard the Market Train, don’t sit there on the side,

‘Your continental cousins want to take you for a ride’

gregor1
03-Jul-16, 11:07
We have no choice, a fuel reduction scheme was awarded to Halkirk garage and incredibly that garage no longer exists, we will not be awarded any reduction as we are too near to Thurso, I know the gentleman in Bettyhill has campaigned rigorously for his shop to be awarded the rural subsidy but again because of his postcode he has been refused, I know if any of the pumps break or are damaged it would not be viable to pay for them to be fixed, so therefore we will have to carry on, the price of the fuel to us is already creeping up and we are waiting with baited breath, also we have asked the fuel company on numerous occasions why we pay so much, their answer, it's because of where we are and we can only purchase so much because our tanks are to small, I personally am glad of that and would hate to have to fill a 30,000 litre tank, like the gentleman in Castletown, I fully understand him closing his pumps down, and that my friend is the last word I am having on the subject, I thank you for highlighting this issue and hope people who read this understand more fully the situation we are in, we are not robbers and try to offer our customers value for money, my shop is now well stocked and alot of our items are price marked, our malt whiskies are very competetively priced and we are open longer hours, if anybody would like to purchase the pumps from me I will happily sell the fuel for them and give them the profits.

gregor1
03-Jul-16, 11:18
Well, just seen your post and being a female, I wouldn't wish to grow a pair, that is a ridiculous comment comparing my garage to the ones in Thurso, and also it is a personal choice, you do not have to purchase anything from my shop and you have hit the nail on the head there I really shouldn't have to rely on tourists should I, being a local shop. I owned the shop in Lybster for seven years and didn't sell fuel thankfully but that shop was fully supported by the villagers, and in turn I ran schemes donating money to the village hall and local causes, and that IS the last comment I am making to you.

squidge
04-Jul-16, 10:24
They don't charge more for electricity up here because of the "location" so why should your fuel company impose a surcharge based on location?

Best regards.

Actually they DO charge more for electricity up here. Around 2pence per unit. The Scottish Government and local MPs have long been lobbying for change but of course, Energy is a reserved power and WM won't listen.

The Fuel Reduction Scheme - Rural fuel duty Relief Scheme - is also decided upon by WM and they aren't proving flexible with that either. Thats how how come the Halkirk pumps closing haven't led to the scheme being placed elsewhere

tonkatojo
04-Jul-16, 10:54
Actually they DO charge more for electricity up here. Around 2pence per unit. The Scottish Government and local MPs have long been lobbying for change but of course, Energy is a reserved power and WM won't listen.

The Fuel Reduction Scheme - Rural fuel duty Relief Scheme - is also decided upon by WM and they aren't proving flexible with that either. Thats how how come the Halkirk pumps closing haven't led to the scheme being placed elsewhere

Your right the whole of the UK has different prices for different regions, so much for the national grid.

squidge
04-Jul-16, 12:11
Yep tonkatojo, you are right but the surcharge in the Highlands, Moray and Aberdeenshire is higher than most other places including the rest of Scotland where it is greater by 2p per unit. In London and the South East they get a rebate rather than a surcharge. The National Grid is divided up into 14 different areas with 14 different charging regimes. Wales also struggles with surcharges too. One of the reasons this is such a big deal for us is because we actually have the longest winters and some of the highest fuel poverty figures in the UK so the impact is greater.

Not out much pooling and sharing going on in the Electricity Industry really.

DSTOTM
04-Jul-16, 21:41
and that IS the last comment I am making to you.

Fair enough..... feel free to accept the Status Quo...... no skin off of my back. I was only trying to help.

Rheghead
04-Jul-16, 22:10
Actually they DO charge more for electricity up here. Around 2pence per unit.

Not only that but the national grid also charges Scottish energy generators considerably more for connecting to the grid. They are screwing us from both ends.

tonkatojo
05-Jul-16, 10:02
Not only that but the national grid also charges Scottish energy generators considerably more for connecting to the grid. They are screwing us from both ends.

How does that work Rheggy ? "screwing us from both ends".

theone
05-Jul-16, 10:12

Not only that, but Scotrail charge considerably more to get from Thurso to Inverness than from Thurso to Georgemas!

Who do they think they are letting distance and cost be reflected in the price???????

Outrageous I tell you!

I blame the fat controller!

Let's have a referendum.

DSTOTM
05-Jul-16, 20:23
How does that work Rheggy ? "screwing us from both ends".

I think it's commonly known as being spit roasted?

tonkatojo
05-Jul-16, 20:32
I think it's commonly known as being spit roasted?

Really.:confused

Rheghead
05-Jul-16, 22:33
Not only that, but Scotrail charge considerably more to get from Thurso to Inverness than from Thurso to Georgemas!

Who do they think they are letting distance and cost be reflected in the price???????

Outrageous I tell you!

I blame the fat controller!

Let's have a referendum.

Distance has nothing to do with it. If the generator is x distance away from the grid then it costs more in Scotland.

Rheghead
05-Jul-16, 22:37
Scotland is in a good place just now if it goes for a Indyref2. It has the backing of of 90% of the economic and academic experts when it comes to securing the economic case and social case for joining the EU. Staying with the UK is now the big uncertainty choice.

Fulmar
06-Jul-16, 08:07
Well, it will take years and years to disentangle Scotland from the UK (if that is a future decision) and then another lot of years to re-join the EU and what happens to the economy in Scotland during all of that is the critical question for all.

rob murray
06-Jul-16, 10:05
Well, it will take years and years to disentangle Scotland from the UK (if that is a future decision) and then another lot of years to re-join the EU and what happens to the economy in Scotland during all of that is the critical question for all.

Factor in undoubted hit rUK will face as well in their post brexit period, as scotlands biggest trading partner we will be hit, so a double whammy.

tonkatojo
17-Jul-16, 19:22

At least she finds it amusing.

DSTOTM
17-Jul-16, 21:33
It's all gone Pete Tong and the last thing we need is Nicola Sturgeon making it even worse..... Her husband needs to start performing in the bedroom department and get her pregnant, that will give her something else apart from world dominance to think about.

They are such an attractive couple after all, one would have thought they would be breeding for Scotland:

DSTOTM
17-Jul-16, 21:38
Scotland is in a good place just now if it goes for a Indyref2. It has the backing of of 90% of the economic and academic experts when it comes to securing the economic case and social case for joining the EU. Staying with the UK is now the big uncertainty choice.

I think YOU need to beamed up to planet reality!

pat
17-Jul-16, 23:16
DSTOTM
Think you need to get a reality check
Nicola Sturgeon is 45 years young!

tonkatojo
18-Jul-16, 10:40
DSTOTM

In the last decade the % of women over 45 giving birth has trebled according to these. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2092971/Number-babies-born-women-45-trebles-just-years.html
(Yeah I know the Daily Mail).

bekisman
18-Jul-16, 11:36
Don't think the Spanish will be any help?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TbTC96ZUms

DSTOTM
18-Jul-16, 21:39
DSTOTM

And she hasn't given birth?

janeyj
19-Jul-16, 12:42
It's all gone Pete Tong and the last thing we need is Nicola Sturgeon making it even worse..... Her husband needs to start performing in the bedroom department and get her pregnant, that will give her something else apart from world dominance to think about.

They are such an attractive couple after all, one would have thought they would be breeding for Scotland:

I am trying very hard to work out what business it is of anyone, other than themselves, why Nicola and her husband don't have children. There can be many reasons for the failure to have children. They could have chosen not to have children by choice or there may be medical reasons. I am lucky. I have been blessed with 2 gorgeous little girls. A friend of mine has had multiple still births and will probably never have a child. The torment she and her husband goes through is 'something else'. DSTOTM it is not in my nature to 'attack' people face to face or on-line and I will not do so now. However, I would hope that you may ask yourself whether using a couples lack of children really is something to joke about.

Love

Janey

rob murray
19-Jul-16, 14:15

Yep its pete tong alright, but fits sturgeons lack of bairns got to do wi anything, ever heard o child minders, if she had a bairn do you expect her to sit at home, be serious its serious times we live in ??

tonkatojo
19-Jul-16, 14:55
Yep its pete tong alright, but fits sturgeons lack of bairns got to do wi anything, ever heard o child minders, if she had a bairn do you expect her to sit at home, be serious its serious times we live in ??

Your right it is the times we live in, not sure they are all for the best. Call me old fashioned but a child raised by its own mother and father working to keep them seems the correct way to me, all these child minders and farmed out to play schools etc don't seem right to me, but then I am old fashioned and old I suppose. (Dodgy territory I know.)

DSTOTM
19-Jul-16, 20:59
I was just mentioning it because there are "some" who believe that a leader of a country should have experience of bringing up a family, that way they can empathise with the majority of the population who have families and may have a better vision of the future as their own children will be part of that future.

I don't necessarily agree with Andrea Leadsom (regarding Theresa May not having any children) but she is free to speak her mind on the subject: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/andrea-leadsom-theresa-may-vile-insulting-children-conservative-leadership-tory-a7128311.html

tonkatojo, it's all "dodgy territory" these days and getting to the stage where opinions are best kept quite for fear of offending someone. It seems that common sense has gone out of the window and the only people that are allowed to speak freely and passionately are the so called "minorities" who range from Islamic extremists to same sex marriage types.... they can say what they like but dare question what they say and you are either branded as racist or a homophobe.

I was recently accused of being "xenophobic" when I said it was ridiculous that some Muslims were putting pressure on MacDonalds to use Halal meat: http://www.washingtonstarnews.com/mcdonalds-kfc-and-pizza-hut-say-no-to-offer-halal-meatand-muslims-are-outraged/ Either eat there or don't, if they want halal meat then don't eat at an American global fast food joint.

If I, for example, were to go into a burger joint in Pakistan and ask them if they would possibly introduce mince from the Castletown butcher into their menu I'd possibly not get out alive!

Halal is a most inhumane slaughtering process: http://www.theweek.co.uk/58447/halal-meat-what-is-it-and-is-it-inhumane but I am now classed as "xenophobic" for basically saying so.

Yup, dodgy territory and going to become a lot more dodgy if we continue to allow the rapid demise of our freedom to express an opinion.

rob murray
22-Jul-16, 15:34

Oh aye.....falling UK economic activity and not solely down to BREXIT uncertainties, and Scotland is falling further than the rest of the UK...flat lining economic growth, not a good place to be whatsoever, both choices are loaded with uncertainties ( economic that is ) we don't know what BREXIT UK is going to look like, but surely soon will, and we don't know what an indy EU Scotland will look like either, or how it will perform economically. Glad your optimistic, though the "90% economic and academic experts" bit of your post is rather lets say dubious nut I'm well prepare for the post truths ( is that what they called the leave blatant truth distortions / lies ) thats will spew out from all parties

bekisman
22-Jul-16, 16:20
Was watching PMQ’s and wondered what Robertson - that SNP minority government MP-was twittering about “Sigmar Gabriel said Scotland could remain in the EU” He forgot to mention that they have to go through yet another Independence kerfuffle first.. oh yea, Sigmar said that Scotland could join the EU on a majority, so Spain’s veto could be ignored.. Are they real? most countries in the EU have separatist movements: at least 20 of ‘em and they ALL have the Veto https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_separatist_movements_in_Europe .

So possible scenario: Mrs Murrell asks Mss Brasier (opps mean Mss Sturgeon asks Mrs May) for yet another Independence Referendum. Well it’s pretty dam obvious to even a dimwit that during this very convoluted Brexit negotiations, any request would be put on hold, i.e.what does the UK Trade negotiating team do with talks with these great many countries “Sorry but we’re not sure if Scotland will be a part of any trade deal”? eh?, nah, any referendum will be delayed until all the negotiation is over and the UK has a single market deal with the EU and free-trade deals with rest of the World. AND in the meantime Fox and Davis will have negotiated an excellent deal (for example) the Scottish Fishing Industry Restrictions imposed under the Common Fisheries Policy see Stolen Seas (http://www.efddgroup.eu/images/publications/Stolen_Seas.pdf (http://www.efddgroup.eu/images/publications/Stolen_Seas.pdf%20%29)) Forget the mention of Farage the ‘guts’ of this PDF make interesting historical reading.. Scrabster, Fraserburgh, Kinlochbervie, Lochinver, Ullapool, Peterhead, Aberdeen etc will have their fishing rights restored after the devastation of the Fishing Fleet. Note: ‘Historically, British waters would have extended 200 nautical miles from the coastline but this exclusive economic zone is now restricted to 12 miles. The rest of the British waters are now part of the European economic zone which can be fished by any European nation subject to quotas and licenses.’.
Now, ask the Scottish voters who overwhelmingly voted ‘NO’ the last time to vote yes and leave the UK and all the trade deals that exist between the UK and the EU and the big new world. will be void There would be no trade deals with UK OR the EU, no chance of using Sterling as currency. (Presuming all countries did approve membership, Scotland would be "legally obliged" to join the euro if it met the correct economic conditions) - Hmm when each of us was promised £thousands by Salmond re Oil, and we voted against, what fool would now vote ‘Yes’ - Only those who’s sole aim, no matter what the consequences, and what then?

Oh yes incidentally Vice Chancellor Sigmar Gabriel, the country’s top TTIP negotiator, has openly criticised the lack of progress in talks recently, while senior members of his center-left SPD declared last week that the deal is dead. Oh dear!

The jobless rate is now 5.5%, compared with 4.9% for the whole of the UK.

On an annual basis, Scotland's economy grew by 0.6%, compared with UK growth of 2%.

DSTOTM
22-Jul-16, 22:15
Was watching PMQ’s and wondered what Robertson - that SNP minority government MP-was twittering about “Sigmar Gabriel said Scotland could remain in the EU” He forgot to mention that they have to go through yet another Independence kerfuffle first.. oh yea, Sigmar said that Scotland could join the EU on a majority, so Spain’s veto could be ignored.. Are they real? most countries in the EU have separatist movements: at least 20 of ‘em and they ALL have the Veto https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_separatist_movements_in_Europe .

So possible scenario: Mrs Murrell asks Mss Brasier (opps mean Mss Sturgeon asks Mrs May) for yet another Independence Referendum. Well it’s pretty dam obvious to even a dimwit that during this very convoluted Brexit negotiations, any request would be put on hold, i.e.what does the UK Trade negotiating team do with talks with these great many countries “Sorry but we’re not sure if Scotland will be a part of any trade deal”? eh?, nah, any referendum will be delayed until all the negotiation is over and the UK has a single market deal with the EU and free-trade deals with rest of the World. AND in the meantime Fox and Davis will have negotiated an excellent deal (for example) the Scottish Fishing Industry Restrictions imposed under the Common Fisheries Policy see Stolen Seas (http://www.efddgroup.eu/images/publications/Stolen_Seas.pdf (http://www.efddgroup.eu/images/publications/Stolen_Seas.pdf%20%29)) Forget the mention of Farage the ‘guts’ of this PDF make interesting historical reading.. Scrabster, Fraserburgh, Kinlochbervie, Lochinver, Ullapool, Peterhead, Aberdeen etc will have their fishing rights restored after the devastation of the Fishing Fleet. Note: ‘Historically, British waters would have extended 200 nautical miles from the coastline but this exclusive economic zone is now restricted to 12 miles. The rest of the British waters are now part of the European economic zone which can be fished by any European nation subject to quotas and licenses.’.
Now, ask the Scottish voters who overwhelmingly voted ‘NO’ the last time to vote yes and leave the UK and all the trade deals that exist between the UK and the EU and the big new world. will be void There would be no trade deals with UK OR the EU, no chance of using Sterling as currency. (Presuming all countries did approve membership, Scotland would be "legally obliged" to join the euro if it met the correct economic conditions) - Hmm when each of us was promised £thousands by Salmond re Oil, and we voted against, what fool would now vote ‘Yes’ - Only those who’s sole aim, no matter what the consequences, and what then?

Oh yes incidentally Vice Chancellor Sigmar Gabriel, the country’s top TTIP negotiator, has openly criticised the lack of progress in talks recently, while senior members of his center-left SPD declared last week that the deal is dead. Oh dear!

The jobless rate is now 5.5%, compared with 4.9% for the whole of the UK.

On an annual basis, Scotland's economy grew by 0.6%, compared with UK growth of 2%.

Good post and I don't disagree with any of it.

DSTOTM
26-Jul-16, 22:39

No.... they pay them Zlotys but every four years they take the workers out on a picnic ;) (IF they're lucky!)

DSTOTM
26-Jul-16, 22:41
I REALLY do need to get my hat ;)

squidge
29-Jul-16, 23:52
Always fun to dip a toe into 1950s Caithness sigh!

Today, A woman's place should be at home, the kitchen, the nursery, the factory, the office, the sports field, the armed forces, the board room, or parliament because in fact, a woman's place should be wherever the hell she chooses with or without children.

tonkatojo
30-Jul-16, 09:52
Always fun to dip a toe into 1950s Caithness sigh!

Today, A woman's place should be at home, the kitchen, the nursery, the factory, the office, the sports field, the armed forces, the board room, or parliament because in fact, a woman's place should be wherever the hell she chooses with or without children.

As long as someone else looks after or raises them no doubt.

squidge
30-Jul-16, 12:21
The suggestion that if you use childcare or work that someone else "raises" your children is wrong. They will indeed "look after them, but raising them? Nope.

tonkatojo
30-Jul-16, 12:54
The suggestion that if you use childcare or work that someone else "raises" your children is wrong. They will indeed "look after them, but raising them? Nope.

Exactly my point, the early years are very important learning from parents, but how times have changed and once again not for the better in my opinion.

RUNT
30-Jul-16, 22:59
It doesn't feel like we have an appetite for independence anymore. It will always be a close run thing but no one needs the uncertainty anymore

DSTOTM
30-Jul-16, 23:19
https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/07/30/brexit-fails-boost-support-scottish-independence/

YMMV

tonkatojo
31-Jul-16, 09:37
https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/07/30/brexit-fails-boost-support-scottish-independence/

YMMV

That Mike Sewell and Alex don't pull any punches stating their views.

RUNT
02-Aug-16, 14:20
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/30/no-real-shift-towards-scottish-independence-since-brexit-vote-poll

RUNT
02-Aug-16, 14:24
That's the latest YOUGOV poll, we would still loose the independence vote should there be one.....which there won't.

Devolution Max would be much better and wouldn't force us in to NO.49 in the worlds economy's from No.5

The oil is ruined and we can afford to go it alone......simple.

If we did there would be no security services, NHS, free university places, armed forces and no meaningful income bar taxes and banking which RBS proved this week is still unstable.