PDA

View Full Version : Nurseries under threat

kani
26-May-05, 23:01
Just heard today that nurseries at Thrumster, Keiss and Dunnet are under threat of closure. Schools and nurseries are surely at the heart of every community. We know Keiss and Thrumster Nurseries are attached to the schools, Dunnet isn't This first taste of an educational environment is vitally important to these youngsters, the same goes for continuity, these poor little mites have made all their new friends at nursery and would then go on to Primary School with these new friends, so if you've had to send your children to a nursery outwith your local district are you then going to uproot them and take them back to their local school? Probably not. So then the school is under threat of closure, or is this what it's all about? We can't let this happen, does anyone know what we can do?

alice
28-May-05, 16:39
Make sure you have the community behind you which I'm sure will have in a small village. Petition, protest and make yourselves very public. Good luck and will await the outcome of this.

squidge
28-May-05, 18:38
My youngest boy went to Keiss nursery and loved it - all three went to keiss primary. Surely there is something to be done about this - what happened to the pledge by the governement to ensure all children had access to nursery places - Wick or groats is NOT an option.

Childcare this side of Caithness is a NIGHTMARE for mums who are working. Are their still childcare partnerships? what are they doing about it - surely not absolutely nothing!!!! Unless the number of registered childminders has increased working mums in the Keiss Primary catchment area have so little choice that it is quite shocking! I was so grateful there was nursery provision.

I know the building was coming to the end of its uselfulness but there must be options - come on girls i know you ll all be doing your best. If theres a petition dont forget to let me know - i ll sign it and jennie is here dont forget she ll sign it too!!!!!

katarina
28-May-05, 20:45
when they threatened the closure of Wick Acadamy school, the parents got up in arms and protested. The school was saved. PEOPLE POWER WORKS! Make your voices heard!

Keiss_gal
29-May-05, 16:23
Hey Squidge yeah there is a petition for the Keiss Nursary (Not to sure about the others). It is placed in the Keiss Corner Shop and I have signed it!
I think its ridiculous that they are planning closing it. When I was younger we didn't have the nursery but I've been in it when I was in primary school helping and the staff there are excellent with the kids. I've never heard a kid say a bad word about the nursery. They all love it. Especially the one's I used to look after.

squidge
29-May-05, 17:58
Ok Keiss Gal ill send in my ex husband and get him to sign it.

Not sure when ill be up that way but if there is a copy you can send down here to me ill get it signed by a couple of us. Pm me if you need to.

lynne duncan
29-May-05, 23:46
is there a rally being organised this week in the market square and if so what time?

kani
30-May-05, 08:02
Haven't heard much about rally in the Market Square, but there will be protesting outside Thurso Town Hall ,due to a Council meeting there this morning, Monday from 9.45am onwards and we need to get as much publicity as possible for this campaign. So anyone who can make it please come along and show your support.

frank ward
30-May-05, 14:01
Are these council-funded or privaste nurseries?

Helen Ellis
30-May-05, 15:38
Thanks for the messages of support on the issue of nursery closures.
In Keiss, we are working really hard to write to or email as many councillors as possible, seeking their support.
There is a rally in Market Square on Tuesday, 31 May at 3.00 pm. We would welcome as many people as possible to join us.
At this stage, the Highland Council is looking at Keiss and Thrumster nurseries (which are run by the Highland Council) and Dunnet Playgroup. I have read a report which was commissioned and completed by the Highland Council's Bill Alexander, in which there are suggestions that the schools can be reviewed due to transport time (15 minutes each way is seen as an acceptable time to drive to school) and low class sizes. There seems to be some concern that low class sizes means lack of appropriate interaction and stimulation, which as a mother and a teacher I find seriously flawed.
Our concern is that the closure of the Keiss Nursery, for example, removes a vital resource from our community and will affect enrolment numbers at the primary school as parents have to choose to move children to schools with both nursery and primary facilities. We also believe that many other smaller communities throughout the Highlands will be in the firing line if this goes ahead.
To help out, you can do the following:
- sign our petition which is in Keiss shop. Petition pages will also be at Market Square for signing tomorrow
- write or email your local councillors and MSP
- write to the John O'Groat's letters to editor page
- email or write to the Highland Council's education office and main office, stating your support for nursery education for ALL children, regardless of where they live.
Any help you can give will add weight to our campaign. We really need a strong community voice on this issue.
Thanks, Helen