PDA

View Full Version : Waterfalls.

Tugmistress
04-May-07, 15:14
Where are they?
If you know of a waterfall in Caithness, please would you post the location?
I know of the one by the forss house hotel on the river there, i also know the one that goes under the bridge on the way into Lybster harbour. I know i have seen a few more in passing, but can't remember where :roll:
I want to make a collection of photographs of all the waterfalls of Caithness :)
thanks for any help you can give

stratman
04-May-07, 15:34
Below the cemetery at Dunbeath. Cemetery is worth a shot or 2 as well.

noodle
04-May-07, 16:00
Where are they?
I want to make a collection of photographs of all the waterfalls of Caithness :)

My geographical knowledge of Caithness still isn't great so I can't suggest any waterfalls - but would be interested to see the photos. Will you be putting them online?

Rheghead
04-May-07, 16:24
There is a waterfall about 300m on the right handside from lybster harbour.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/Rheghead/lybsterwaterfall.jpg

Kenn
04-May-07, 18:56
Brough Harbour has one on the west side, there's the mill race at Westerdale and just over the border in Strathalladale there are the falls above the mill.
If I remember any more will let you know.

elamanya
04-May-07, 19:40
follow the path up dunbeath strath when you come to the bridge at the black pool cross there and follow the small burn {achorn burn } for about a mile you will come across a high and very secluded water fall
also follow the old pony track from breamore to berriedale about three miles down theres is a waterfall there

Tugmistress
04-May-07, 20:16
Thanks folks :D
it looks like i need to get my hiking gear ready and head out for a few days lol.
keep them coming and then i can plan a route on a map ....... caithness.org, the font of all knowledge!

andrewd
04-May-07, 20:38
go to ulbster,you can see a bit of it on Billy Connolys world tour of scotland dvd.

George Brims
04-May-07, 22:55
Take the A836 towards Dounreay and you will soon come to the falls next to the bridge and mill at Forss. Very entertaining when the salmon are running!

dirdyweeker
04-May-07, 23:06
Falls of Shin is not in Caithness I know but it is very beautiful all the same. Perhaps you might want a wee detour to Harrods after photographing all the Caithness falls!

Scout
05-May-07, 07:05
There is a small one at Ham Farm. The only others I think are the ones you have been to.

kenimac1
05-May-07, 09:40
Latheron burn, about 50 yards downstream from the bridge on the A9. Quite big, or it seemed so when I was a bairn.

stratman
05-May-07, 09:49
Is there a waterfall fall at Whaligo, or have I made that up?

porshiepoo
05-May-07, 13:33
Is there a waterfall fall at Whaligo, or have I made that up?

Nope it's definately there I have a piccie somewhere.
Tugmistress iff you're feeling brave go down Whaligoe steps and climb right out onto the rocks at the bottom near the grass bit and round a corner on the left there's a waterfall.

Also theres usually one at the cove in Lybster. The shelligo burn runs through our land and it all comes out at the cove. How decent it is depends on the rain fall so it's not always there but hey, the numerous steps are good exercise.:eek:

Jeemag_USA
05-May-07, 14:56
how far does water have to fall before something can be a waterfall?

I always thought the salmon pool in Thurso was a great place to visit or photograph, the drop in the water is only about 6ft but still i'd call it a waterfall, and its the whole width of the river?

badger
06-May-07, 18:52
There's a teeny one from my neighbour's pond when it's rained a lot so it overflows. Does that count?

Tugmistress
06-May-07, 20:59
There's a teeny one from my neighbour's pond when it's rained a lot so it overflows. Does that count?

yes it does count :D any type of waterfall counts, be it 6 inches or 60 foot! I will hopefully get round to photographing each and every one of them, the route is taking shape folks, so i want lots of rain this week to top them all up and next week when i am off i can have a good drive round :D

badger
07-May-07, 19:17
I'll keep an eye on it but we need quite a bit more rain. If it happens will send you a pic.

Errogie
07-May-07, 21:42
There are several small falls on the upper Thurso river above Glutt some 12 miles upstream from Westerdale and getting close to its source.

Lolabelle
08-May-07, 10:57
I'll keep an eye on it but we need quite a bit more rain. If it happens will send you a pic.
You could always stick the hose in badger...;)

stratman
09-May-07, 18:59
How about the leat steps by the derelict mill on the way up to Dunnet head? Looked very pretty tonight.

Tugmistress
09-May-07, 19:46
Can't think of a derelict mill on the way up to dunnet head :confused will have to have a drive, shame it's so cloudy or i would have gone up now to find it, evening light looks gorgeous on photo's

ywindythesecond
10-May-07, 00:00
If you go to Dunnet Head after a wet spell, you can see a number of small streams forming waterfalls over the cliffs, but they are more likely to be "water-risings" as the wind generally throws the water back up faster than it can fall.
ywindythesecond