PDA

View Full Version : Did you see Grand Design

dozy
03-May-07, 12:42
What do you think of last nights Grand Design and the HEXAGONAL House ??

emszxr
03-May-07, 13:10
i thought it was really nice, he just needed some more trees round to make it fit in, but his craftmanship on wood is beautiful. i would love to have the patience and knowledge for that. certainly gave me a few ideas ifi ever win the lottery and get to build my own house

MadPict
03-May-07, 14:50
It's not far from me - I take my hat of to them for building such a great house and for following such a sustainable way of life. It was not without it's financial risks but he came across as such a nice bloke that I was happy that it turned out (unlike some of the people on the previous programmes)....

Rheghead
03-May-07, 15:02
(unlike some of the people on the previous programmes)....

I would agree, sometimes I think I am watching 'Neighbours go bad' rather than Grand designs.

I missed this particular show though. I like the more organically constructed houses which use natural materials the most.

It is good for the environment as well. Wood takes 1GJ/tonne whereas steel is 28GJ/tonne to produce. Concrete has a bad press on energy useage but surprisingly it only uses 1.6GJ/tonne. Aluminium is the worse, a whopping 250GJ/tonne!:eek: If made from bauxite.

OK, I'm rambling on now...:o

NickInTheNorth
03-May-07, 15:44
certainly did, and that particular one has made it into my top 3 of grand designs.

The others being the guy with the wooden house in sussex (planning condition was he could neither sell the house nor rent it to anyone ;)

The other was the reclaimed water treatment works

I guess the factor I found most admirable in all three was the incredible hard work that all three homeowners put into their properties. And the almost total lack of interest that any of them had in the final notional monetary value that society attaches to houses.

Valerie Campbell
03-May-07, 15:57
I saw this episode too. Brilliant craftmanship. Hopefully they'll show the woodland house as well, handcrafted by Ben Law. It was much the same as this one but only cost him £25k! It was gorgeous inside. There's book for Ben's house I think.

MadPict
03-May-07, 16:13
Rheghead,
You can view the house here
http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/grand-designs/houses/C/cambridgeshire.html

lynne duncan
03-May-07, 16:39
if it had 4 four b/rooms I would love to live there, the decorations in the childs room were outstanding, the beauty of his furniture was amazing, the staircase was amazing,
yes I liked this house a lot.

obiron
03-May-07, 16:49
an excellent one last night. liked the shape of the house and the old tree trunk in the middle was fantastic. liked how he used the router to make designs on the doors.

stratman
03-May-07, 18:09
I asked the Highland Council planners about a straw bale build a couple of years only to be told " you have to build out of proper materials up hear".

George Brims
03-May-07, 21:03
A hexagonal house? Eesh. I once lived for four years in a house with a floor plan that was an isosceles trapezium. That meant we had corners in some rooms that were 60 degrees and in some that were 120. After four years we still hadn't figured out how to make all the furniture fit.

Here in the US, geodesic dome houses used to be popular. People who built their own would get the plans and think it was going to be so cool to live in a giant walnut shell - again until it came time to actually fit stuff inside it. Oh and putting roof tiles on the outside was no barrel of laughs either!

WeeBurd
03-May-07, 22:20
Whilst the exterior finish of the house, and the interior decoration was not to my taste, I have to say I admire the guy for his incredible skills, unwavering enthusiasm, and complete dedication to getting that place up!

Internally, it really did look like something out of Lord of The Rings. I understand he's a carpenter, so he loves wood, but there was way too much of the stuff in there. I guess I'm just a modern gal at heart :lol: .