PDA

View Full Version : Big Gig Bands Read This

K dragon
03-May-07, 02:46
okay i need for all the bands who are in the big gig to send me a nice orderly email containing

a list of members in the band, what they play, and equipment and what style of music. this info is for the sound dept.

please EMAIL ME, dont PM me.

i need these lists asap. thank you.

dave

moncur
03-May-07, 09:05
whats ur email address?

Jeid
03-May-07, 10:15
I believe it is

blackheart2002@aol.com

theboss
03-May-07, 11:26
Hey K Dragon. Do you think it would be worth putting together an email contact list for Big Gig Bands? You might get a faster response that way and it's also a better way to make sure you're contacting everyone involved.

Jeid
03-May-07, 11:32
Aye, plus, not everyone reads the org everyday as they are "rediculously busy!" http://forums.smirkinchicken.com/images/smilies/rimshot.gif

theboss
03-May-07, 11:44
Aye, plus, not everyone reads the org everyday as they are "rediculously busy!" http://forums.smirkinchicken.com/images/smilies/rimshot.gif

Silence James!

Jeid
03-May-07, 11:55
http://forums.smirkinchicken.com/images/smilies/nyd.gif

moncur
03-May-07, 11:59
Here! Im the only one whos allowed to be 'Busy'

Confused?

Jeid
03-May-07, 12:12
Only at the bad joke.

moncur
03-May-07, 12:36
Reev & Zebedy ken what i gibbering on about

Jeid
03-May-07, 12:59
Riiiiight....

Anyway, a band mailing list?

BigKev
03-May-07, 13:13
Are you wanting band names or real names?

like are you wanting:

joe blogs

or

Zanzibar Hellfire Williams!!

or

Pimpmaster Funk-lord

but seriously, a list of channels is what he'll be after.

The genre of music is also a valid point for mixing.

What do you mean by equipment? do u mean the amps and stuff we should bring, or the amps and stuff that we will require?

if hes wanting the names of individuals there must be some sort of screening process or stalking involved that we do not know of eh!! heh

p.s. we play a fusion of classical and R&B type music with the occasional electro-pop dance number thrown in.

p.p.s. not exactly sure on the genre yet as we have not fully compiled the set list for that particular gig.

moncur
03-May-07, 13:37
Totally agree with Kev there.

Last year the organiser had an email address for every band participating so that everyone got exactly the same email asking for info, help etc rather than posting it on the org and hoping that everyone would get back to him sooner or later. Occasionally threads were posted on the org requesting helpers, equipment etc. I imagine that everyone who contacted you wishing to take part in the big gig did so by PM/email/ phone? Best thing to do is create an email list purely for those involved in the Big Gig.

K dragon
03-May-07, 16:36
woah again some people jumping the gun i see, i have a HUGE mailing list, and contact numbers. (you doubt my organising skills? tut!)

but i have got loads to do still on this, and im very busy, i hunted down over nineteen bands, organised the bloody thing, so i dont see why i should have to hunt you all down again lol

naw, i just put the announcement up for the ones who do happen to see the message as im too busy at moment to call and email over sixteen bands, i do have a life other than the big gig you know.

but i will get round to it, hopefully by end of the week, just thought some of YOU LOT could HELP me by maybe replying to the message.

ungreatful brutes lol

Jeid
03-May-07, 19:08
Hrm, I think a group e-mail would take half the time that you've wasted on this thread... and you doubt our greatness. tut tut.

You have a CC function on your e-mail... use it to your advantage.

zebedy
03-May-07, 19:40
waffles - genre?

loud and noisy!

is there still goin to be the interview thingys?
it sounded like a laugh lek

the_big_mac
03-May-07, 20:20
waffles - genre?

loud and noisy!

is there still goin to be the interview thingys?
it sounded like a laugh lek

No way, band interviews. Lethal!

Empty Fortune have one thing and one thing only to say..................

Bow Chica Waw Wow!

Sure Moncur ;):lol:?

moncur
03-May-07, 20:36
No way, band interviews. Lethal!

Empty Fortune have one thing and one thing only to say..................

Bow Chica Waw Wow!

Sure Moncur ;):lol:?

Get it right dude,

Its Bom Chicka Wahwah!

moncur
03-May-07, 20:49
oh and another thing, why do people ask me 'Do I play guitar?' when i've just walked into a pub with a guitar in ma hand?

the_big_mac
03-May-07, 20:52
oh and another thing, why do people ask me 'Do I play guitar?' when i've just walked into a pub with a guitar in ma hand?

I dont think it was the geeetar he was intrested in.

Mustve taken Mr T seriously..... GET SOME NUTS!

K dragon
03-May-07, 21:36
greatness? not from what i've seen over the past few years.

you let me do my job the way i want to okay?

if i want to take the long way around thats no concern of anybodies apart from my own.

so if you seen the message, just do as it says. otherwise you get crap sound on the day, not my problem.

the_big_mac
03-May-07, 21:54
Is Mark Wright doing the sound?

K dragon
03-May-07, 23:05
qpq productions are.

Jeid
03-May-07, 23:14
And exactly what do you mean by that? Not over the past few years? Some cheek ma boy. The Caithness musos are actually getting their finger out of their arses and doing pretty good these days. I'd say they've improved a lot over the past few years.

Just seems a bit silly asking for info if not everyone visits this forum on a regular basis. Trying to save you time in the long run. That's how it went last year. All you've done is post on this thread when in reality, you could've just sent one e-mail and gotten answers. You know it makes sense... admitting it is the hard part I guess.

I'll drop an e-mail to you later. Busy the now :D

PS: Is it Isaac that's gonna be on the board? Or is someone in instead of him?

K dragon
03-May-07, 23:41
oh i agree the music scene is a lot bigger, but it seems to be an exclusive club for some, a lot of groups are either being ignored or pushed away, many dont even get a helping hand. the council are reluctant to even acknowledge the "muso's" (christ i hate that term)

its a constant fight for bands and groups that are stuck up here, many groups either gig down south for more exsposure. many have resources for posters cover art etc etc, but few actually share this with the younger generation, ian sinclair was very helpful with young enthusiastic groups who didnt have a clue what recording was about. but many nowadays wont touch a group unless they know whats what. you cant even play a small town gig, or garden gig without a mountain of permission slips and ass kisses. i dont see greatness, i see a constant struggle for basic rights and leisures. its not just the young generation, many of the pioneers of thurso and caithness music scene are pushed to the back.

dave is standing in for isaac. he is stratman on the org.

okaay did you think that maybe not everyone involved has an email adress.

i have things to do this week, so anyone that could send me the flipping details would be helping.

i will hunt everyone down at some point but i dont have time.

most of them use phones anyway.

i appreciate the feedback but i swear next year im going to avoid this forum like the plague.

THATS what would make my job easier.

btw cheers to the groups who sent me emails with the info and didnt question, analyze or over criticise. thats not me being bitchy just saying that some of you are too inquizitive for MY own good lol

Jeid
03-May-07, 23:57
I sure like to wind people up on here :)

K dragon
04-May-07, 00:00
doesnt become you

Jeid
04-May-07, 00:42
You're doing a good job lad. Don't worry... was bored during my free time today.

the_big_mac
04-May-07, 10:45
oh i agree the music scene is a lot bigger, but it seems to be an exclusive club for some, a lot of groups are either being ignored or pushed away, many dont even get a helping hand. the council are reluctant to even acknowledge the "muso's" (christ i hate that term)

its a constant fight for bands and groups that are stuck up here, many groups either gig down south for more exsposure. many have resources for posters cover art etc etc, but few actually share this with the younger generation, ian sinclair was very helpful with young enthusiastic groups who didnt have a clue what recording was about. but many nowadays wont touch a group unless they know whats what. you cant even play a small town gig, or garden gig without a mountain of permission slips and ass kisses. i dont see greatness, i see a constant struggle for basic rights and leisures. its not just the young generation, many of the pioneers of thurso and caithness music scene are pushed to the back.

i have things to do this week, so anyone that could send me the flipping details would be helping.

i appreciate the feedback but i swear next year im going to avoid this forum like the plague.

btw cheers to the groups who sent me emails with the info and didnt question, analyze or over criticise. thats not me being bitchy just saying that some of you are too inquizitive for MY own good lol

It aint that hard to get a gig or exposure up here. The problem is younger bands expect it to happen for them, I know, I was there once.

The problem is they either dont have the confidence to go into the boozer and clubs and ask for a gig, or have the confidence to play their own stuff to the general public, and just moan that no-one appreciates them.

Another thing, since when did rock and roll need permission or respect from its "peers". It was born to rise against conformity [evil]

BigKev
04-May-07, 13:00

??

Crazy views you got there man.

The first two paragraghs are just facts of life, period.

And if anybody thinks its exclusive then your not trying hard enough, i know a fair chunk of the active musicians around caithness and i know for a fact it is not exclusive. If someones gurning because they arent getting their hand held they aint trying enough.

The location of thurso as an argument is just silly, its obvious. if someone wants to get more "exposure" for whatever reason then they go down south. theres nowt we can do about that!

And on another note, ass kissing is standard practice for getting anything worth nowadays, unless you are VERY good at what you do.

I heard about isaacs man dave, if isaac says he can do it thats good enough for me. im looking forward to seeing the pa this year!

(trying to remain as neutral as possible) - Did you say that you were organising the Big Gig next year?

I would have thought that would have been decided after this yeaers gig, to guage performance and stuff?

surely keeping the same organiser year in year out is in effect keeping the scene an exclusive one?

P.s. what is the position on amps and drumkits? are they gettin supplied? cos that will affect channel lists significantly.

K dragon
04-May-07, 14:31
yadda yadda yadda, facts of life, useless philosphy, opinions left right and centre.

dont care.

give me your details if you want before i hunt you down, otherwise get crap sound.

hey that ryhmes.

the_big_mac
04-May-07, 14:44
yadda yadda yadda, facts of life, useless philosphy, opinions left right and centre.

dont care.

give me your details if you want before i hunt you down, otherwise get crap sound.

hey that ryhmes.

Quit your JibberJabber young fool!

K dragon
04-May-07, 15:12
this young fool is organisng the bloody thing, this young fool works night and day on the project, putting up with complaints left right and centre. your constant moaning whining, on and on, this young fool is doing the best he flipping can, this young fool is constantly working on it even though he has health issues, this young fool has done all this work and isnt even getting PAID, this young bloody fool is at the end of his tether with wind up merchants philosphy spouting folk and judgementalists, this young fool is really, really, really about to blow his top. and believe me i had to seriously tone down my language in fear of being banned. young fool indeed.

JUST SEND ME THE FRICKEN DETAILS IS THAT SO FLIPPING HARD.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the_big_mac
04-May-07, 15:26
this young fool is organisng the bloody thing, this young fool works night and day on the project, putting up with complaints left right and centre. your constant moaning whining, on and on, this young fool is doing the best he flipping can, this young fool is constantly working on it even though he has health issues, this young fool has done all this work and isnt even getting PAID, this young bloody fool is at the end of his tether with wind up merchants philosphy spouting folk and judgementalists, this young fool is really, really, really about to blow his top. and believe me i had to seriously tone down my language in fear of being banned. young fool indeed.

JUST SEND ME THE FRICKEN DETAILS IS THAT SO FLIPPING HARD.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PMSL :lol:!

What a quality rant!

Your on a discussion forum, what the hell do you expect?

Yes sir, no sir, three bags full, yeah right!

Oh, and im sure you already have nearly everyone's details that have posted on this thread.

Get Some Nuts! :Razz

moncur
04-May-07, 16:28
just incase any of my fellow band members are wondering, I have sent details in for both Duress & Empty Fortune.

K Dragon, You need to work on your people skills. If you're so stressed out about all this then Y-Not create a small group/ committe to help organise it? Hey it'd be a bit like like 'The Apprentice' but we'll call it 'The Roadie'. One by one as things get sorted you can fire someone each week! It'll be fun!

K dragon
04-May-07, 16:36
people skills eh? depends what kind of people you work with.

for the last time, there is no comitee because there wasnt going to be a big gig II

the council frown upon it, i took the job up. and now im severely regretting it, yes this is a discussion fat mac, oops i mean big mac but its my only way of posting announcements. in fact screw it.

i shall no longer post announcements if this is the hassle i get.

you wanna know stuff, then pm me. dont see why i should ge running round after you lot anyway, its your gig not mine, you get crap sound on the day tough, you dont know when your on too bad.

the_big_mac
04-May-07, 16:45
10 charactors or sumint!

the_big_mac
04-May-07, 17:04
people skills eh? depends what kind of people you work with.

for the last time, there is no comitee because there wasnt going to be a big gig II

the council frown upon it, i took the job up. and now im severely regretting it, yes this is a discussion fat mac, oops i mean big mac but its my only way of posting announcements. in fact screw it.

i shall no longer post announcements if this is the hassle i get.

you wanna know stuff, then pm me. dont see why i should ge running round after you lot anyway, its your gig not mine, you get crap sound on the day tough, you dont know when your on too bad.

Oooo resorting to personal insults again. Sore one. I might throw a wee temper tantrum and threaten to never return to the forums again, oooo how i'll sadly be missed :roll:.

Why did you take the job on if you knew it was gonna be to big for you?

moncur
04-May-07, 17:04
Dude, Dont forget why this gig is being put on. TO RAISE MONEY FOR TTIA.

Crap Sound = Crap Turnout = Little or no money for the cause. If you really dont care about the event, pass the torch onto someone with the know-how and experience of putting on these events who does care.

Plenty of people on the forum and outwith the forum are trying to help you with lending of equipment, use of land, services for sound, advice and all for FREE so I suspect theyd be looking for a good turnout after their generous efforts.

People on this forum who do know who you are will be happy to help you out, but others may find you unapproachable judging by the tone of your stressed out posts.

If this event does affect your health badly, its common sense to enlist the help of others.

moncur
04-May-07, 17:06
oooo how i'll sadly be missed :roll:.

I Wont miss u, I have to share a flipping tent wi u at download!

the_big_mac
04-May-07, 17:08
I Wont miss u, I have to share a flipping tent wi u at download!

Bom Chika Wahwah ;)

BigKev
04-May-07, 17:25
Amen!

fantastic im laughing my head off.

although....

its a poor sight to see an organiser breaking.

Chobbersjnr
04-May-07, 18:49
Amen!

fantastic im laughing my head off.

although....

its a poor sight to see an organiser breaking.

an organiser breaks when the people he's trying to organise are being daft. "The organiser" is going about things the way he wants & that's cool.......especially when the job is obviously being done

rather than people getting torn in & tearing the loon apart a smattering more obvious support wouldn't go amiss, would it?????

anyone that's ever been on the organisation side of a gig will know how downright stressfull & soul destroying it can be blah de blah de blah

BUT when it comes down to it K dragon is boss, in charge, the man at the top, AND if man at top isn't your best buddy & people keep consistantly winding him up then the offenders could well be without a gig. I know if it happened to be me & I got more than a certain amount of unnecessary hassle I would tell the hasslers to beat it & take the band with them NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!!!

the next man that the bands want as their best buddy is the soundman, if you hack the soundman off then just listen as the bassdrum dissappears or the bass ends up drowned in a pool of reverb..........

The organiser & the soundman 2 most important people on a festival site

So to round off this post: support K dragon, if he's asking for something in a particular way then oblige the guy....... He didn't have to volunteer himself for the job

FTR a mixing job pretty much remains the same for the majority of bands apart from the obvious potential of acoustic guitars, keyboards, brass sections or mongolian dance troupes. Reckoning that all bands will use the same kit then the only real change should be the odd amp & cab.

Bands sometimes have particular requests from a sound man & they submit these requests & if it's within the capabilities of the soundman then it's given to the band as close as possible

K dragon is trying to iron out things across the board & he's doing it in the way he sees fit

good on ye K.d

Isaac

Deemac
04-May-07, 19:24
Another Big Gig themed super post . . . . . .

Entertainment in itself (who need bands!)

K Dragon's on the learning curve, be gentle and humour him.

Though I'd seriously recommend he offloads some of his many tasks to others and form a committee (sorry, "the council frown a committee!!!"- totally at a loss to understand why this would be so - councils thrive on committee decision processes) of useful and interested parties.

The actual event will be a nightmare if all decisions (and there will be a multitude) have to be made by only one individual on the actual performance days. (This super focussed loading will also transfer to the sound man and as Isaac says, if he ain't happy . . . . . )

Hope it all works out.

the_big_mac
04-May-07, 19:45
I havent once told the guy that he cant do the job, ive also never resorted to insulting him personally.

However, the organizer of the festival also needs the bands support for everything to go off without a hitch.

The fact that K Dragon cant take a joke, or have a laugh aint our fault. (And just so that EVERYONE is clear, thats what i was doing for the first few posts of this thread) Everyone that knows me knows I take very few things seriously or to heart.

He obviously feels that he can talk down to everyone. Not something that I accept off anyone. Not even my bosses at work. He also seems to be very blinkered in taking others suggestions.

This is not and should not be the K Dragon festival. It is a caithness/TTI festival to help raise funds and provide a bit of exposure for bands that may not generally play to the kind of crowd that will be in attendance.

K Dragon has admitted himself that he is losing his temper and patience with this project, and we have always offered help and suggestions only to be on the end of a self important rant. Everyone has tried to make these seem light hearted, however once again all we get is rants, and now threats of band sound ect.

My posts started on this thread after we had submitted ALL the information that was asked of us, and they were in made in reply to something he had said about the council not recognizing young bands as responsible fulltime musos.

All in, the festival still has my full support, and so does K Dragon, but my support comes with suggestions, questions, fair criticism and possibly for the second year, a half decent kit for the drummers to play on. This wasnt hard for last years organizer to take, in fact, he asked more than we could suggest. And it was an enjoyable experience being involved and kept up to date throughout the run up to the gig.

All anyone has done is suggest ways to help and make things better. These suggestions come from folk that, as you know chobs, put on some kind of show at least once a month if not more often. How can it be disregarded so flippantly?

Jeid
04-May-07, 20:04
It's all in good humour. The man's doing a good job. I've offered assistance on a few occassions but he seems to be getting on with it himself. That's fine... just don't see the point in moaning about it if he's not asking for help.

Nobody is having a direct go at him... they're just making honest suggestion which they think would make things easier for him.... no harm in that... this is a discussion forum after all. If he does or doesn't want suggestions, he's gonna get them.

As I said before... keep up the good work.

(I've e-mailed Astronot's details)

moncur
04-May-07, 20:15
may i suggest, especially for the benefit of Astronot, A cider-proof screen (pallette wrap, cling film etc)

the_big_mac
04-May-07, 20:19
may i suggest, especially for the benefit of Astronot, A cider-proof screen (pallette wrap, cling film etc)

There will be a new cry this year.

MMMMMMMMMMMCCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUPPPPPPYYYYYEEEE EAAAAAA!

Jeid
04-May-07, 20:22
What the hell....

Be warned big mac... I'll be armed with tins of cider to throw back.

K Dragon... what's the chances of getting a hose to fire at the crowd? You know it makes sense foo! ;)

the_big_mac
04-May-07, 20:27
What the hell....

Be warned big mac... I'll be armed with tins of cider to throw back.

K Dragon... what's the chances of getting a hose to fire at the crowd? You know it makes sense foo! ;)

Quit your jibberjabber, you aint hurt, your pathetic!

If i ever catch you acting like a crazy foo again your gonna meet my freind PAIN! ARRRRGGGGHHHH!

GET SOME NUTS!

moncur
04-May-07, 20:34
Quit your jibberjabber, you aint hurt, your pathetic!

If i ever catch you acting like a crazy foo again your gonna meet my freind PAIN! ARRRRGGGGHHHH!

GET SOME NUTS!

PMSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zebedy
04-May-07, 23:49
what the fife!?!?!

seems to be such a bumming sesh goin on here?

Studio66
05-May-07, 00:10
what the fife!?!?!

seems to be such a bumming sesh goin on here?

Dont mention the B word! Bom chicka wahwah!
(Moncur signed in on Studio66s PC)