PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone enlighten me?

veekay
19-May-16, 14:30
Did anyone else out there in orgland see the extremely low flying commercial aircraft flying over Mey area at just before 1300hrs today and if so do you know what it was.
Thanks

janeyj
19-May-16, 15:23
Flybe go Kirkwall to Glasgow. Just wondering?

Shaggy
19-May-16, 16:07
Flight LVG6914 was delayed leaving Kirkwall today so the timing for it flying over Mey would be about right plus the adverse weather may have made it fly lower than usual. Saab 340 usually on that route

wicker
19-May-16, 17:02
I seen a low flying plane also near bower, just above the trees was the low, it looked like an old war bomber type plane so RAF doing some sort of testing again I presume
Looked on the flight radar site and it did not show and the loganair or flybe not sure flight was just coming in to land at airport so it defo wasn't that

veekay
19-May-16, 19:11
The colour of the livery seems to be all wrong for Loganair the plane I saw and believe me it was so low I could see it very clearly was a pale blue with yellow tail. Any help to you plane spotters. Thanks

janeyj
19-May-16, 20:10
I do sooooooo like a mystery haha! Picked up on Shaggy's Saab 340 clue and googled 'Flybe Saab 340 images' and took a peek at what came up. Looks like some of the Flybe's have been repainted in a new purply/blue livery with a yellow streak towards the tail. Could this be mystery solved? Interestingly, I see there is a webcam at Kirkwall airport so might be worth watching the arrival of tomorrow's lunchtime flight from Glasgow to see what livery the plane has.

Now back to my 'who dunnit'.

captain chaos
19-May-16, 20:12
See attached PDF for low flying planned this week

How many engines, was it jet or prop?

SkozkrHorgr
19-May-16, 23:10
I know there was an RAF Hercules (4engined propeller aircraft) flying low over the area around that time, had a brightly coloured tail (red, yellow and blue). Hope this helps.

wicker
20-May-16, 06:17
Photo of the plane pulled from someone on facebook who was quick enough to get a picture of it yesterday

Gronnuck
20-May-16, 07:00
Photo of the plane pulled from someone on facebook who was quick enough to get a picture of it yesterday

Looks like Fat Albert with a paint job.....

Gronnuck
20-May-16, 07:09
The figure ‘47’ emblazoned on the fuselage refers to 47 Sqn RAF which currently flies the Hercules transport aircraft. The Squadron was formed at Beverly in March 1916 and so this year it celebrates its 100th birthday.

pat
20-May-16, 13:33
Definitely a Hercules of 47 Squadron celebration run - yes a fat albert

captain chaos
20-May-16, 14:23

100th Anniversary of 47 Squadron’s formation

janeyj
21-May-16, 11:25
I feel like I've come to the end of my book and the last page is missing!

veekay
21-May-16, 15:56
Thanks all for the suggestions. Certainly not the Herc. that is far too big (and beautiful in my humble opinion) to have been the craft I saw. I suppose it must have been the loganair plane hey ho but what it was doing flying so low I have no idea. Hope the last page isn't too disappointing janeyj.

janeyj
21-May-16, 21:37
Well, I suppose I must admit to feeling a little disappointed veekay as it would have been nice to have had a definitive answer to the mystery Haha. Oh well. Lesson learned. Next time I start reading a 'whodunit' I'll first make sure the last page isn't missing!

veekay
22-May-16, 10:00
Believe me janeyj you are not half as disappointed as I am. Maybe the answer will come along - one day!