PDA

View Full Version : New housing plots in Thurso are just a nightmare ide

dozy
19-May-16, 14:03
A developer is planning to build houses at the bottom for two already standing sites opposite Dunbar hospital and right next to the railway track . This will add to the rain run-off in the area which will end up in the river ,which could see more flooding downtown. This development is crazy considering that the area behind Ormlie already was premission for new development, in a mixed private and RSL site. This would overlook Scrabster and start to fill in the area between Ormlie - Pennyland and the business park. The new road would also help with traffic going through the town center. The land is now in the hands of a local housing trust which should have a social responsibility to provide the plots for sale or for community use. Land banking should be looked into by the Scottish Government as its a block on Community and social inclusion . Let's see if Gail Ross will up the challenge and bring it to the ear of Minster.

XR2
19-May-16, 16:42
I could be wrong but as I understood it rain water run off is drained into the sewer system nowadays and not into any rivers directly. I doubt an additional scheme opposite Dunbar would add a significant level of rain water run off sufficient to cause more flooding.

To be honest this is kind of old news, the developer that built the current scheme opposite Dunbar (must have been about 2000, 2001) had plans then to develop the area you are referring too, I believe this area is within the town plan boundary and therefore available for development the same as the area between Ormlie and Pennyland.

dozy
19-May-16, 20:40
I could be wrong but as I understood it rain water run off is drained into the sewer system nowadays and not into any rivers directly. I doubt an additional scheme opposite Dunbar would add a significant level of rain water run off sufficient to cause more flooding.

To be honest this is kind of old news, the developer that built the current scheme opposite Dunbar (must have been about 2000, 2001) had plans then to develop the area you are referring too, I believe this area is within the town plan boundary and therefore available for development the same as the area between Ormlie and Pennyland.

in principal YES but theory sometimes things don't go as planned. The Ormlie- Pennyland site has more advantages ,not only in new roads to reduce in town traffic but giving to chance to build in a community heat scheme. The formation of new green areas and there was a new forest in the planning with community pathway and cycle routes. If we looked at the scheme in the whole and its got some good ideas from the community . We have an opportunity to build something we could all be proud of and a long term asset to Thurso. What we have with the lower Dunbar site, it's the developers that call the tune not the community and that never ends well. Maybe we need a change of Councillers to make the difference and folk that will fight for the wishes of the community.