PDA

View Full Version : Asda from the groat web site

peter macdonald
02-May-07, 13:53
Mart site plan to feature in Asda inquiry
By Iain Grant
Published: 02 May, 2007
THE new owners of the former agricultural mart in Thurso are being allowed to “piggy-back” onto the public inquiry into Asda’s plans to build a supermarket on a greenfield site at Pennyland.

Miller Developments’ planning application will be tabled at next month’s hearing after the firm successfully appealed to the Scottish Executive.

It is touting the vacant Ormlie Road site as the best available location for a new supermarket in the town.

The Edinburgh-based property developer failed at a pre-inquiry meeting in February to persuade the inquiry reporter Jill Moody to consider its application at the same time as the Pennyland scheme. But Miller has since had its case upheld by the Scottish Executive.

A spokeswoman for Miller Developments welcomed the new joint inquiry.

She said: “We firmly believe our site is the best one in the town for a new supermarket development. We therefore believe there shouldn’t be an inquiry without taking our proposal into account.”

Miller’s appeal was based on its application not being determined by the local authority within the set timescale.

Its initiative has come under fire from Thurso Community Council, which is supporting Asda’s plans to develop a field on Pennyland Farm, opposite the New Weigh Inn.

Speaking before the firm’s successful appeal had been confirmed, community council chairman Bob Earnshaw said: “It appears that Miller Developments’ legal people are basically trying to get round the back of the reporter by asking for the application for the mart site to be taken in conjunction with the Pennyland site.

“As far as I understand, the reporter had turned this down flat.”

Mr Earnshaw added: “If you have a public inquiry about a particular application, you can’t bring another application into the same inquiry.”

The community council earlier this year agreed to oppose Miller’s bid to turn the former Hamilton’s mart into a supermarket and a housing development.

The Highland Council’s now-defunct Caithness area planning committee rejected Asda’s plans for Pennyland by the chairman’s casting vote. Though this was later overturned by the council’s full planning committee, the Scottish Executive called in the application, prompting the inquiry.

Caithness councillors who opposed the scheme did so in support of the local planning blueprint which earmarks the ground as suitable for a hotel and amenity use.

The issue is complicated by the revelation that Miller Developments bought the mart in January 2005 in a deal that included a previously-agreed condition giving Asda an option to buy most of the site.

The supermarket chain, however, insists it is focusing its attention on getting approval for its planned 2896-square-metre store and six-pump petrol station at Pennyland.

The public inquiry is scheduled to get under way on June 26. Originally due to last six days, its new, expanded remit has increased its anticipated duration to three weeks

emb123
02-May-07, 15:34
I had some difficulty following this editorial in the John o' Groats Journal.

The article didn't really make clear to me exactly what is happening or how it is going to impact on the planning application. Is it likely to muddy the waters ?

I suppose it is something to bear in mind for polling day tomorrow.

Rheghead
02-May-07, 15:44
Me too, I struggled to see the relevence in the Mart site when the current ASDA application is ongoing.:confused

jaykay
02-May-07, 16:18
I had some difficulty following this editorial in the John o' Groats Journal.

The article didn't really make clear to me exactly what is happening or how it is going to impact on the planning application. Is it likely to muddy the waters ?

I suppose it is something to bear in mind for polling day tomorrow.

I don't understand why a planning application for the mart site is being considered at a public enquiry for Asda at Pennyland. It is two completely seperate issues. I also notice it is going to drag the public enquiry out for two or three weeks. No prizes for guessing who is behind this. Certainly something to bear in mind tomorrow when choosing councillors to vote for!!!

Tugmistress
02-May-07, 16:20
From what I understand of this, millers are objecting to the pennyland siting of a proposed ASDA and want it on the mart site. they have asked to have the mart site considered as an alternative (i think) at the public enquiry.
please note this is not fact, this is my own interpretation of the matter.

jaykay
02-May-07, 16:37
From what I understand of this, millers are objecting to the pennyland siting of a proposed ASDA and want it on the mart site. they have asked to have the mart site considered as an alternative (i think) at the public enquiry.
please note this is not fact, this is my own interpretation of the matter.

You are probably right.
Obviously Millers would want Asda to be built on the Mart site!! They stand to make a lot of money!!

emb123
02-May-07, 18:20
It becomes a little clearer now, yes Miller obviously have a vested interest there, lets hope it doesn't complicate things too much.

I was trying to dig out the details of how the last planning application vote went and found it here

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=102345#post102345

Voted Against the Application -
Thurso West - Roger Saxon
Thurso Central - Donald Mackay
Thurso East - Tom Jackson
Wick Councillor - Graeme Smith (also used his casting vote against the application)
Voted To Accept the Planning Officers Recommendation To ACCEPT the Application
Wick West - Bill Fernie
Caithness Central - David Flear
Caithness North East - John Green
Caithness North West - Alistair MacDonald
Two Councillors Were Unavailable
Pulteneytown - Katrina MacNab
Caithness South East - William Mowat
The way the vote went
The vote was split 4 for and 4 against and chairman Councillor Graham Smith used his casting vote against the application. The paper with the proposals can be found HERE

I, for one, will bear this in mind when I vote tommorrow.

Anyone know who was absent ?

gollach
02-May-07, 19:05
Two Councillors Were Unavailable
Pulteneytown - Katrina MacNab
Caithness South East - William Mowat

Anyone know who was absent ?

Didn't you answer your own question?

emb123
02-May-07, 19:14
Didn't you answer your own question?
Thanks gollach - yes I missed that in amongst the other text.
I did a bit of digging and Katrina McNab was in Mexico at the time but would have voted for Asda. Wm Mowatt's inclinations with regard to Asda are something I've not been able to find.

Almost seems petty to penalise Councillors and MSP when it comes to elections, but if their views don't reflect those of their constituents then they're in the wrong job.

jay
03-May-07, 10:12
that's just the point - they did represent the views of a great many of their constituents, I personnaly find this totally unfair that these councillors are being subjected to continual abuse when they actually had the guts to stick to their principles instead of going with the crowd and being popular. I've said it before on this forum and will now say it again - I suspect that some of the most ardent critisicm comes from someone with an agenda for todays election. Let's move on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jaykay
03-May-07, 11:25
that's just the point - they did represent the views of a great many of their constituents, I personnaly find this totally unfair that these councillors are being subjected to continual abuse when they actually had the guts to stick to their principles instead of going with the crowd and being popular. I've said it before on this forum and will now say it again - I suspect that some of the most ardent critisicm comes from someone with an agenda for todays election. Let's move on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They represented the views of a small minority of their constituents instead of the views of the vast majority of their constituents. If the majority whos views they did not represent do not vote for them today then we will be rid of the numpties! I also do not have any agenda for todays elections.

jay
03-May-07, 11:37
what proof do you have of that? have you run a survey? the majority of people I know (who live in Thurso) would welcome ASDA but not at Pennyland which is the stand the councillors took, they did not vote against AsDA they voted against the Pennyland site. You cannot judge by comments on this forum as a great many of the people commenting do not live in Thurso and therefore are not constituents of these councillors.

These men have served the community well over the last years, ASDA is only one issue and as I said, an issue which many people actually agree with their position on, so to use this single issue as a continual "big stick" is unfair. I would rather be represented by councillors who have principles and I will vote accordingly, that does not mean that I will not make my views known to them - how many of us actually did that before the vote on planning? very few I bet, so do we not only have ouselves to blame?

Rheghead
03-May-07, 11:42
A councillor or any politician for that matter is elected to represent his constituents on the basis of the politician's political persuasion, he/she is not elected to represent the personal views of his constituents.

However, if this is the political throwing out of the baby with the bathwater then so be it...