PDA

View Full Version : Tansfield

cathy
02-May-07, 10:05
Hi,
Does anyone know where a place called Tansfield is in Caithness.
Cathy

Bill Fernie
02-May-07, 10:11
There is a Tansfield in Castletown

Tansfield House is mentioned in an article by Andrew Guttridge - World War Two Defences In Caithness
See http://www.caithness.org/caithnessfieldclub/bulletins/2002/ww2_defences_in_caithness.htm

See second para under thrid photo -

Behind Tansfield house is the VHF transmitter site and in the grounds of Castlehill House, beside the high wall, can be found the station squash court. At the southern end are the aircraft gun testing butts, some dilapidated dispersal huts and aircraft pens which are gradually becoming just mounds of mud and on the hillside above is the Battle HQ.

JAWS
02-May-07, 14:00
Bill, that link reminds me of something I was told when I was young, somebody might know if it's true or not seeing it happened in Caithness.

During WW2 there was a very popular song called "Run Rabbit Run". I was told that the inspiration for it being written was because the first bomb dropped on mainland Britain was in the North of Scotland resulting in a big hole in a field and one dead rabbit. The link shown would certainly confirm the big hole in the field part.

I'd almost forgotten the story but that link brought it back to mind.

cathy
02-May-07, 17:42
Thanks for the interesting information Bill
Cathy