PDA

View Full Version : Royal Mail

stekar
01-May-07, 21:47
Bought something off Ebay, which was posted 2nd class yesterday in Essex and it arrived here thismorning! Now that's what I call good! Well done Royal Mail.

lasher
01-May-07, 21:57
I've had that before, ordered something about four in the afternoon one day, and it turns up in the post the next. But you get the opposite aswell things taking over a week to arrive!

Bobinovich
01-May-07, 22:10
Shame they're not consistent though. I sent a small package by first class recorded delivery in March which wasn't delivered for 6 DAYS! It's now the subject of a complaint to Postwatch.

Trouble was that the consequences of the package being late had knock on effects which, in financial terms, amount to over £2500. This itself is soon to be the subject of a court claim against a third party. So much hassle for such a simple thing [disgust].

All Royal Mail could say was "If it was time sensitive then you really should have sent it by Special Delivery" to which my reply was "It wasn't time sensitive when I sent it - it was your delay which changed that" [evil]

scorrie
01-May-07, 22:17
Bought something off Ebay, which was posted 2nd class yesterday in Essex and it arrived here thismorning! Now that's what I call good! Well done Royal Mail.

Top work for 2nd class!! Trouble is that nobody will use 1st class if 2nd is that good!!

I sell quite a bit on eBay and usually find that most items get from Wick to England next day via 1st class mail.

I find Royal Mail to be way better than "Ain't no mountain high enough" DHL who have no concept whatsoever about honouring a deadline. I have ordered at least a dozen items that came via DHL and not once have they managed to meet the "next day delivery" guarantee. They are my Comic Book Guy "Worst Courier Ever" nomination.

Solus
01-May-07, 22:22
Cant fault the mail when i been sending stuff home to caithness, but what gets up my nose is these companys that class anywhere north of Perth as not mainland Uk and charge more for postage :mad:

scorrie
01-May-07, 22:25
Shame they're not consistent though. I sent a small package by first class recorded delivery in March which wasn't delivered for 6 DAYS! It's now the subject of a complaint to Postwatch.

Trouble was that the consequences of the package being late had knock on effects which, in financial terms, amount to over £2500. This itself is soon to be the subject of a court claim against a third party. So much hassle for such a simple thing [disgust].

All Royal Mail could say was "If it was time sensitive then you really should have sent it by Special Delivery" to which my reply was "It wasn't time sensitive when I sent it - it was your delay which changed that" [evil]

Sorry, but you are in the wrong here. If you want GUARANTEED next day delivery then you have to use Special Delivery. No guarantee is given for other services so there is no way that the Royal Mail can be blamed. OK, six days is a long time for first class but they do handle millions of items and this is why you pay more to guarantee delivery.

stratman
01-May-07, 22:26
But DHL bring me things from ebay. ebay someone mention ebay I'm off.......

Bobinovich
01-May-07, 22:32
Sorry, but you are in the wrong here. If you want GUARANTEED next day delivery then you have to use Special Delivery. No guarantee is given for other services so there is no way that the Royal Mail can be blamed. OK, six days is a long time for first class but they do handle millions of items and this is why you pay more to guarantee delivery.

I quite agree Scorrie but at the time of posting the package wasn't urgent and certainly didn't require a guaranteed deadline (let alone next day). 2 - 3 days would have been quite sufficient and therefore 1st class should have been perfectly adequate (a fact which Postwatch agree to, hence why they are taking the complaint further).

MadPict
01-May-07, 22:36
When they're good, they're great but when they're bad.........

Bobinovich
01-May-07, 22:41
Yeah, and hindsight would be a wonderful gift [disgust]

trinkie
02-May-07, 08:28
It is a great service.
I understand that all Mail goes north by plane.
If I get something in the Box before 5pm then it is in heart of the highlands the next day !
For months ( every day ) I sent little cuttings from my garden to my mother and she had it in her garden the next day !

Well done indeed !

laguna2
02-May-07, 08:42

... but if you want it to be delivered quickly remember to use Special Delivery!
:lol:

scorrie
02-May-07, 22:54

Hindsight would be a wonderful gift for the Royal Mail as well. Then they would have known that your package had suddenly acquired a greater urgency. The bottom line is that the service used does not guarantee a date for delivery and it is just unlucky that this happened to turn out to be one of the small percentage that was late.

The Royal Mail website states the following for First Class Mail:-

"Has your mail item arrived five or more working days after it was posted?
If so, your mail is classified as ‘delayed’, and we’ll give you compensation of 12 First Class stamps. If you provide additional evidence of delay and your claim for compensation is accepted, you will be sent a cheque for £5, or for £10 if your item has suffered substantial delay (i.e. was delivered more than eleven working days after the day of posting') and you provide additional evidence or proof of delay."

I don't quite know what you are asking Postwatch to do but it seems unlikely that there is much compensation up for grabs.

Rheghead
03-May-07, 01:23
Amazon are quite bad for their special delivery options, I just go for the bog standard option now having had to wait from Thursday to Monday for the next day one too many times.[disgust]

The best service I've had was the Dyson repair service. A carrier picked the hoover up on Monday and I had it back Wednesday fixed! All free as well.

Scaraben1976
03-May-07, 08:38
Best I had fro delivery was a few years ago...
...ordered some blank cd's ands cases online on Sunday 22rd December 2003. When I got home on the Monday from work, (about 5pmish) was an email waiting asking me to call the company as i had given 2 numbers back to front in the credit card number. They said that they would dispatch following morn, but would probably be nearer the new year before the items arrived. Came home from work on Xmas eve and there was the boxes wating for me!

Bobinovich
03-May-07, 13:39
Hindsight would be a wonderful gift for the Royal Mail as well. Then they would have known that your package had suddenly acquired a greater urgency. The bottom line is that the service used does not guarantee a date for delivery and it is just unlucky that this happened to turn out to be one of the small percentage that was late.

The Royal Mail website states the following for First Class Mail:-

"Has your mail item arrived five or more working days after it was posted?
If so, your mail is classified as ‘delayed’, and we’ll give you compensation of 12 First Class stamps. If you provide additional evidence of delay and your claim for compensation is accepted, you will be sent a cheque for £5, or for £10 if your item has suffered substantial delay (i.e. was delivered more than eleven working days after the day of posting') and you provide additional evidence or proof of delay."

I don't quite know what you are asking Postwatch to do but it seems unlikely that there is much compensation up for grabs.

Heard from Postwatch today and, while they're grateful for pointing out the delay, there is nothing they can do with regards to compensation - which is what I fully expected. However they do go on to highlight that if it were not for people complaining then the service wouldn't be constantly reviewed and improved upon.

BTW it was their local committee member who suggested contacting them - I was fully aware of the T's & C's on the RM website and have duly received my £5 compensation. More valuably I've learned an important lesson for the future - to duly consider the consequences a prolonged delay would do to anything I send, and to over-specify the service required if such a delay would be costly.