PDA

View Full Version : Diamonds on your doorstep

Muddymouse
30-Apr-16, 12:17
:lol:
Just here to sing the praise of a local conservation project that I had the good fortune to stumble upon recently. By this time of the year many of us are fed up, suffering from cabin fever and really need to get outside with purpose. Well here it is, The Newtonhill Croft project. What a work these people have put into creating an outdoor space for everybody to enjoy, dog walkers, families, other local conservation groups, somewhere braw to go see the sun rise or the sun set, whatever. The path network on the site is so well constructed you could shove your Granny along it in her wheelchair, or take your grandchild along in a pushchair. There are loads of bench seats and picnic tables dotted along the entire route so walkers of all abilities can potter on around the site, or if you have had enough, the clever design of the path network means you can cut loose whenever you fancy. Truley is a hidden treasure of a place with so much going on and the option to get involved or just enjoy . I am so glad I found it and am looking forward to participating in and contributing in my small way to the conservation tasks which the project is undertaking. A really worthwhile way to help yourself back to feeling well

janeyj
30-Apr-16, 13:05
Sounds interesting. Might put my wellies on and go take a peek.

Muddymouse
30-Apr-16, 13:26
Do, it is a lot more than you would think. The cottage itself on site is a great wee information hub. Lovely woodburning stove indoors to heat yir feet and sup yir tea on volunteer days, cant recommend it enough

kinloch
30-Apr-16, 14:23
Do, it is a lot more than you would think. The cottage itself on site is a great wee information hub. Lovely woodburning stove indoors to heat yir feet and sup yir tea on volunteer days, cant recommend it enough

Where exactly is it ?��

Muddymouse
30-Apr-16, 15:06
If you head out of Wick and take a left at Milton, up the hill, follow road round to the left again. Next junction right. You will see the forestry commisions sign for Newtonhill wood. The car park has interpretation boards to guide you on the site. There is a page on fb called Friends of Newtonhill Croft, that will give you much better information and directions from different areas. I believe they have a n in the pipeline for a pathway to come out from Wick itself which wiil be great as it will make easy access for people comming on foot from the town, That main road out of the town to the site would be a bit off putting if you were walking

r.rackstraw
30-Apr-16, 16:36
Yes a really nice place and will get even better as the trees grow. Many thanks to the Friends of Newtonhill.

Kevin Milkins
30-Apr-16, 23:38
I used to take the dogs up for a walk about ten years ago and it was closed due to it being an historic local tip and some sort of undesirable discharge was leaching out of the place. A fellow dog walker mentioned this fantastic walk for the dog up at Newtonhill and I went for a run out with her and her dogs. The new venue is at the back of the old place and it is indeed a great local project with many areas of interest for anyone who likes dog walking or just enjoys the outdoors, well done to all concerned that are involved with this fantastic project.