PDA

View Full Version : On honesty being the best policy !

scaraben
01-May-07, 11:56
A promising young man applied for a job at his local branch of the Bank of Scotland. The day arrived when he was due to be interviewed for the post by several of the Senior Managers. He was one of many who had submitted an application and were being interviewed that morning. The manager in charge of the interview team was particularly impressed by his credentials and how well he responded when questioned. However before telling him he had been given the vacant post, he was invited to lunch with the rest of the interviewing team. As the small group passed through the Restaurant check desk, the young man put two pats of butter on his tray and hid them under the edge of a plate so the cashier would'nt see them. One of the Senior Managers was behind him and observed his actions. Later he argued "If this fellow would be dishonest with two pats of butter, how could he be trusted to work in a Bank" ? So as a result his application for the post was turned down. Deception takes many forms, whether its an outright verbal lie, or a cover-up of two pats pf butter, the bottom line is ITS STEALING !

emb123
01-May-07, 12:07
quite right too, although I consider banks to be one of the biggest bunches of thieves on the planet, before estate agents and after the government.

MadPict
01-May-07, 12:32
What's the old saying about stones and no sin?......

Victoria
01-May-07, 13:22
We've recently discovered that a bank work has stolen £10k from my boyfriends Gran over the past year. I can't possibly describe how angry we all are in words or i'd get chucked off here.

Estate agents arn't that bad - I used to be one! haha

Rheghead
01-May-07, 14:10
Estate agents arn't that bad - I used to be one! haha

Then you will know all about the unscrupulous practice of English estate agents of getting potential buyers to falsely bid against themselves over the telephone.;)

No doubt you were too honest to hack the practice?:D

Victoria
01-May-07, 14:31
I did bear witness to some extreme underhand goings on in the industry, but I can honestly say that the 2 companies I worked for (both independents) didn't partake in these activities.

The English system is completely wrong and needs a complete re-think.

I'm glad that I used to be an Estate Agent because it certainly helped when it came to buying my own house.

I also used to really enjoy it - the thrill of getting a property on the market and knowing that its the dream house of someone you've got on your books that's been looking for a house for ages. Its a bit like matchmaking[lol]

Victoria
01-May-07, 14:33
........maybe I was the worlds only honest estate agent ????:confused

j4bberw0ck
01-May-07, 16:27
The English system is completely wrong and needs a complete re-think.

I work closely with the Scottish system and I can tell you that if you're a first time buyer, you'd MUCH rather be dealing with the English system than the Scottish. having to "bid over" when the market is buoyant, and having surveys done, means that first-timers can't compete on a level basis and often watch all their savings disappear while they try. The only thing wrong with the "English system" is that it's too easy to back out (which by definition includes gazumping - accepting later, higher bids). The Scottish system is going the same way because conditional bids are now the norm. Sorry, a bit off topic. :lol: