PDA

View Full Version : Turning 40

rockchick
01-May-07, 07:13
Ahhh...it's that time! Woke up this morning to discover I've turned the big 4-0.

It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I mean, forty is OOOOLLLLDDD!!!! isn't it? but I don't feel old. I actually feel grateful - I am in a good place in my life, with a family that loves and cherishes me, and a good job that I've earned. Not the mid-life crisis that I expected.

Does anyone find birthdays traumatic?

painter
01-May-07, 07:25
Happy birthday Rockchick :)

emb123
01-May-07, 08:35
yep you're old now! Won't be long before you're drawing your pension :evil

Some birthdays just make you feel ancient (27 struck me hard for some reason). It's all downhill from 40 but then who wants to be going uphill for ever ? 'They' reckon life starts at 40, doesn't necessarily mean the instant you're 40 but I think most of us who left it behind will agree that this is true and 40 is not so bad; a brief reminder of our mortality and a kick in the pants to get on and 'do something'!

Hope you have a nice birthday and a extra special treat for yourself!

Rheghead
01-May-07, 09:07
Turning 40 meant for me was like seeing my parents down a very long tunnel which was getting longer. It was the turning point for my particular wave of humanity that has the honour of living on the planet. Others would see things differently as their crest hadn't come yet.

If I plotted the birthday of everyone that I know of from my birth to my grave on a bar chart then that graph would look like a parabolic curve. It is destined to extinction. We come and we go. It is rather depressing but it would be more so if we could cheat death. :D

drmopp
01-May-07, 10:52
Hiccy burpday from me too.....

I remember it well, turning 40 that is, loads of "abusive" cards about my age, getting called Methuselah etc....

Enjoy it you're still young yet, or as someone says, Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

changilass
01-May-07, 11:02
aparently they moved the goalposts to 60, wich I thought was rather unfair, having hit 40 a couple of years ago, we are all living longer so 40 isnt the big deal it used to be.

I found 30 very hard to deal with, realy didnt want to leave my 20's behind.

You are still only young and have another 20 yrs to go now before life begins lol

have a great day, make the most of it:D

squidge
01-May-07, 11:07
Rockchick

I loved turning 40 - my 40s are turning into the best time in my life - Im 43, im having a baby in October and I am happy and getting married and the boys are happy and i have great friends and whoooooooooooo life is good. I look good , i dont care about what anyone thinks any more, Im more confident than i have ever been and i laugh a lot. I enjoy myself with or without a drink, I have let old animosities die and I am happier in myself now that i ever was in my 20s and 30s.

Enjoy it girl - its great!!!!

MadPict
01-May-07, 11:37
Rheghead,
Cheer us all up why don't you?.........

:p

Solus
01-May-07, 11:42
Got to agree.... enjoy it.... feel 40 nope, look 40 , i hope not.... plus you can blame so much on " oopps.. its my age "

:) Happy birfday

Victoria
01-May-07, 11:42
Rheghead,
Cheer us all up why don't you?.........

:p

hahaha! Happy Birthday Rockchick anyway!!

golach
01-May-07, 11:51
Owld at 40.....come on I have children owlder than that, your just bairns [lol]

scaraben
01-May-07, 12:09
Ha ha Golach I DO LIKE you're sense of humour ! but its true for me too, I've a 41 year old bairn and a 50 year old bairn and I don't feel old at 76 .....a bit stiff in the bones perhaps, but I still enjoy life, God's been good.

Sandra
01-May-07, 12:39
Happy Birthday :D

cuddlepop
01-May-07, 17:33
Forty is the new thirty but with a little more wisdom ;)
I.m with Squidge when she say's her forty's have brought her so much joy.Its lots more fun,have a great day Rockchick.:D

Sporran
01-May-07, 18:51
Ahhh...it's that time! Woke up this morning to discover I've turned the big 4-0.

It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I mean, forty is OOOOLLLLDDD!!!! isn't it? but I don't feel old. I actually feel grateful - I am in a good place in my life, with a family that loves and cherishes me, and a good job that I've earned. Not the mid-life crisis that I expected.

Does anyone find birthdays traumatic?

Happy Birthday rockchick! :D

I am 51 and proud of it. But I'm lucky that I don't look my age. Most people take me for 10 to 15 years younger than I am, and are shocked when I tell them my real age.

I have to admit that during the 2 or 3 years prior to turning 50, I was sort of dreading it, and likewise with turning 40. But when the actual birthdays came, they didn't hurt nearly as much as I expected! When I turned 50, I decided I was "nifty fifty", and now I'm "fifty one and full of fun"! :lol:

I certainly have a lot more confidence than when I was in my 20s and 30s, and that's good. I have learned from life's experience, and I like having lots of memories to look back on.