PDA

View Full Version : Help with ID

Tugmistress
30-Apr-07, 22:07
Ok folks, i found this in the garden. sorry about the size of the pic but i wanted as much detail as possible.
I lifted a rotting piece of log and this was curled up. both ends were rounded until i put it on the flagstone to take a picture when the 'nose' came out. in the thickest point it is at most 3mm, it was about 6cm when both ends were rounded. it's not like any slug i have ever seen! as you can see by the bits sticking to it, it was very sticky rather than slimy.
what is it?
http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/components/com_ponygallery/img_pictures/whatisit0_20070430_-185129070.JPG

j4bberw0ck
30-Apr-07, 22:11
Looks like a New Zealand Flatworm. They eat earthworms and can decimate earthworm populations.

>>>This article<<< (http://www.organicgardening.org.uk/factsheets/pc21.php) has some details. Hope this helps. Note the final comment about reporting sightings / findings.

North Rhins
30-Apr-07, 22:25
Dear me! The last time I saw anything like that, Sigorny Weaver was having a right old ding dong with it!

Tugmistress
30-Apr-07, 22:25
Oh YUK!
i don't often have things that make my skin crawl, but this does!
Cheers jabberwock, have emailed the pic off to the link given in the article.

Moby
30-Apr-07, 22:41
Yep definately the flatworm - you will have to try and get rid of it ASAP. The lady who owns the Shinval Garden centre at Glengolly has info on it.

Tugmistress
30-Apr-07, 23:02
Hi Moby,
reading that article jobberwock posted, it seems that i will have an ongoing battle, nothing but sheep and boggy fields all around me for 360 degrees!
i certainly found plenty of earthworms too, and heap loads of slugs ..... yuk yuk yukkity yuk! :~(

stratman
30-Apr-07, 23:18
I think that he was an election candidate knocking at your door:lol:

j4bberw0ck
30-Apr-07, 23:58
Gawd. I hope you mean the flatworm :lol:

The Angel Of Death
01-May-07, 11:09
Lol i thought it was a skid mark or a jobbie !!!

Victoria
01-May-07, 11:11
Euuughhhh thats just rank!

Tugmistress
01-May-07, 11:19
Just to let you know definate ID came from the guy i emailed from the link jabberwock gave.
it's a new zealand flatworm YUK!

Victoria
01-May-07, 11:22
Just to let you know definate ID came from the guy i emailed from the link jabberwock gave.
it's a new zealand flatworm YUK!

It walked a long way [lol]

j4bberw0ck
01-May-07, 11:38
Glad you got confirmation, Tugmistress. Now, what do you do about it / them? Are you supposed to try to eradicate them or just live and let live?

Tugmistress
01-May-07, 13:18
Hi Jabberwock,
from what i can gather, try and get rid. They eat the normal earthworms that aerate (sp?) the soil so you lose good soil conditions and they were an introduced species that is gradually getting all over the british mainland (don't know about the islands etc). put it this way, each one i find will be put on a flagstone for the birds to eat or the sun to dry out! they are foul little things YUK

j4bberw0ck
01-May-07, 15:51
I suspect they'll be here as well - I heard a while back one had been found in Kirkwall. They come in in rootballs in plantpots - and let's face it, up here, who hasn't got a load of wind- and salt-resistant New Zealand plants in their garden?? Or neighbours who have....

Kenn
01-May-07, 16:48
You could put it and any others you find into a tank of fresh water for 48hrs to clean.
Prepare a large pan of boiling salted water, drop the beasties in for 10mins until they have changed to a reddish / rust colour all oven, strain and drain.
Take 1/2 lb of butter and fork with finely chopped garlic, parsley and if liked basil, dash of black pepper and salt.
Roll the offenders round the garlic butter and place in a hot oven for 10mins, serve with fresh green salad and roasted potato wedges.

Tugmistress
01-May-07, 19:59
You could put it and any others you find into a tank of fresh water for 48hrs to clean.
Prepare a large pan of boiling salted water, drop the beasties in for 10mins until they have changed to a reddish / rust colour all oven, strain and drain.
Take 1/2 lb of butter and fork with finely chopped garlic, parsley and if liked basil, dash of black pepper and salt.
Roll the offenders round the garlic butter and place in a hot oven for 10mins, serve with fresh green salad and roasted potato wedges.

Lizz! there's isn't much that turns my stomache (as you know lol) but that is gross![disgust] but funny too :lol:

Bobinovich
01-May-07, 21:24
Maybe a menu delicacy option for the Highlander next time you're up Lizz :eek:

Kenn
01-May-07, 22:47
Well if you can catch enough I'm sure Tugs will be delighted for you to organise a worm search and them we could see what to do with 'em!

Solus
01-May-07, 23:58
North Rhins

Dear me! The last time I saw anything like that, Sigorny Weaver was having a right old ding dong with it!

:lol: